PDA

View Full Version : First Place Dodgers

Viva Medias B's
09-06-2008, 11:41 PM
How ironic is it that the New York Yankees will probably miss the playoffs while Joe Torre's Dodgers could make them.

kjhanson
09-07-2008, 01:03 AM
And yet the Yankees are four games better than the Dodgers in a much more competitive division, and a much more talent-laden league.

DSpivack
09-07-2008, 01:05 AM
And yet the Yankees are four games better than the Dodgers in a much more competitive division, and a much more talent-laden league.

That's nice. The Dodgers are in first place and the Yankees are barely sniffing at the playoffs.

BleacherBandit
09-07-2008, 01:31 AM
Even though the snakes have lost the last seven games, I still think they would stand a better chance against the cubs. They have more depth in their rotation, and I don't see Maddux helping the Dodgers in the post season that much.

We need to support the team that could possibly prevent the Cubs from reaching the WS, which at this point doesn't look like there is a team. Even though the Cubs just went on a 6 game losing streak, I can assure you that the Mets and the Dodgers/D-Backs have done worse this season.

CashMan
09-07-2008, 02:03 AM
That's nice. The Dodgers are in first place and the Yankees are barely sniffing at the playoffs.

It is the equivalent of being 1st place in AAA.

sox1970
09-07-2008, 02:07 AM

A triple-A team can't beat the Cubs in the playoffs, so let's knock off the negative talk. :redneck

DSpivack
09-07-2008, 05:33 AM

So what if it is? You know your competition going in; the talent level of the AL East, or the AL Central, has nothing to do with the Dodgers. You know the rules of the game to get into the playoffs, play by them, and slates are wiped clean in the playoffs. These things comes and go; it wasn't so long ago that many baseball fans around the country thought the same of the AL Central as they do of the NL West now.

The Fox announcers today were discussing this; I forgot who the pbp guy was, but the color guy was Mark Grace. The pbp goes, "This is an interesting division." Mark Grace retorts, "You're allowed to say bad." The pbp answers, "No, I mean interesting. The vast majority of the talent in this division are guys under 25." The DBacks have a lot of good young players, as do the Dodgers, as do the Rockies, and even the Giants have some young talent [on their pitching staff, anyway].

Are the teams in the NL West as well-rounded as some of their AL or even other NL brethren? Perhaps not. But you only have to make it, once you're in the playoffs it's a whole different story. For such a bad division, the Rockies and Diamondbacks made out pretty well last postseason.

turners56
09-07-2008, 12:50 PM
The NL Worst sucks, badly.

Rdy2PlayBall
09-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Even though the snakes have lost the last seven games, I still think they would stand a better chance against the cubs. They have more depth in their rotation, and I don't see Maddux helping the Dodgers in the post season that much.

We need to support the team that could possibly prevent the Cubs from reaching the WS, which at this point doesn't look like there is a team. Even though the Cubs just went on a 6 game losing streak, I can assure you that the Mets and the Dodgers/D-Backs have done worse this season.Nothing is better than the Cubs not getting to the WS than losing in it. :scratch: You really think the Cubs have a chance with the AL home field advantage? The Cubs just came of a 6 game losing streak... against NL teams! What chance do they have against the Red Sox, Rays, Angles... White Sox? I don't care about their record, I say they chose a bad year to get there. :rolleyes:

Foulke You
09-08-2008, 12:14 AM
For such a bad division, the Rockies and Diamondbacks made out pretty well last postseason.
And then the Rockies got crushed into powder by the Red Sox. If the Yankees were in the NL West, their magic number would be in the single digits right now. I hate the Yanks too but to say Torre's Dodgers are somehow better than them because they'll make the playoffs doesn't fly with me. The Dodgers have the fortune of playing meatball teams in a meatball league and are still just squeaking by and might back into the playoffs. The Yankees play in the best division in baseball (this year) in the best league (every year for the past decade). To me, there isn't much of a comparison.

drewcifer
09-08-2008, 12:18 AM
How ironic is it that the New York Yankees will probably miss the playoffs while Joe Torre's Dodgers could make them.

Not at all. I live in Yankee-land and saw it coming with their pitching moves.

Ah-HA Yankees.

And Go-Dodgers.

Whatever.... means nothing to me.

JB98
09-08-2008, 12:39 AM
I think the Dodgers are a much greater threat to the Cubs than the Diamondbacks. I know Arizona has Webb, Haren and Johnson. I know. But Webb has been terrible his last three or four starts, and Johnson missed his start today due to injury.

In addition, the Diamondbacks offense has five hitters with 100 or more Ks, and they don't hit for enough power to justify all those swings and misses. In addition, Arizona's bullpen is weaker than the bullpen in Los Angeles.

Ever since the Ramirez deal, I've felt the Dodgers would win that division. I still feel that way. And that very special Cubbie team would be wise not to take Los Angeles lightly, if indeed that turns out to be the first-round matchup. It's still possible Milwaukee could steal the NL Central from the Cubs.

DSpivack
09-08-2008, 12:42 AM
And then the Rockies got crushed into powder by the Red Sox. If the Yankees were in the NL West, their magic number would be in the single digits right now. I hate the Yanks too but to say Torre's Dodgers are somehow better than them because they'll make the playoffs doesn't fly with me. The Dodgers have the fortune of playing meatball teams in a meatball league and are still just squeaking by and might back into the playoffs. The Yankees play in the best division in baseball (this year) in the best league (every year for the past decade). To me, there isn't much of a comparison.

I'm not saying that the Dodgers would beat the Yankees in a head-to-head competition. The Yankees are clearly a much more talented team. You play to your competition, though; the Yankees have failed to be a factor in the division in which they compete, the Dodgers have not.

chaerulez
09-08-2008, 10:55 AM

And that's what was thought of the 2006 Cardinals when they won the World Series after winning a crappy division with 83 games.

And I'm sure as a fanbase we'd love it if the White Sox were in the NL West, we'd be 12 games up and not have to worry about things until playoff time.