PDA

View Full Version : Danny Richar and Rob Mackowiak

hula
09-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Was at the playoffs tonight for the Durham Bulls vs. Louisville Bats and surprised to see these guys now play for the Bats!

I walked over to the dugout before the game and said "hi" to Richar and to Mackowiak said that he's missed in Chicago, to which he smiled and said thanks.....

Neither got on base, but it was fun to see them...

soltrain21
09-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Why did you lie to Rob Mackowiak?!

hula
09-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Why did you lie to Rob Mackowiak?!

OK, I speak for myself then....... I always liked him...... :smile:

Frater Perdurabo
09-06-2008, 10:24 PM
I've always liked Rob Mackowiak. Just not in center field for the Sox.

champagne030
09-06-2008, 10:41 PM
I've always liked Rob Mackowiak. Just not in center field for the Sox.

Yep. Nothing against Rob, Ozzie just ****ed that one up huge.

oeo
09-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Mackowiak was a solid player for us. I still don't get why he's treated like Andy Gonzalez around here. :scratch:

champagne030
09-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Mackowiak was a solid player for us. I still don't get why he's treated like Andy Gonzalez around here. :scratch:

Ask Oswaldo.

doublem23
09-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Yep. Nothing against Rob, Ozzie just ****ed that one up huge.

Didn't really have much better options. :dunno:

I kind of feel for Mackowiak, the guy grew up a Sox fan and I'm sure he wanted nothing more than to succeed here, but he was a utility player that was forced in an everyday role. Oh well, if nothing else, he turned into an intriguing prospect for the Sox, so thanks for that, Rob!

LoveYourSuit
09-06-2008, 11:23 PM
Was at the playoffs tonight for the Durham Bulls vs. Louisville Bats and surprised to see these guys now play for the Bats!

I walked over to the dugout before the game and said "hi" to Richar and to Mackowiak said that he's missed in Chicago, to which he smiled and said thanks.....

Neither got on base, but it was fun to see them...

I would have not been able to keep a straight face if I told him this.

FedEx227
09-07-2008, 10:53 AM
I have no ill will towards Mackowiak, just ill will towards Ozzie for starting him in CF when he clearly was not CF material.

oeo
09-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Ask Oswaldo.

Any real baseball fan can realize his positives and see that there were more of them than his negatives.

soxinem1
09-07-2008, 11:33 AM

I kind of feel for Mackowiak, the guy grew up a Sox fan and I'm sure he wanted nothing more than to succeed here, but he was a utility player that was forced in an everyday role. Oh well, if nothing else, he turned into an intriguing prospect for the Sox, so thanks for that, Rob!

He was definitely a utility guy here. He played a lot more in PIT with a lot more AB and procuction there than he did with the White Sox.

What is more shocking is how quick his fortunes changed, him being given a nice-sized contract extension once he was traded here, then he's back in AAA less than three years later.

When given a decent amount of playing time, he is useful to have, but WAS just had him sit on the bench. I hope he gets a chance to rebound like Jody Gerut did with SD.

soxfanreggie
09-07-2008, 11:56 AM
As a utility guy, I didn't mind having him. It's just he's not starter material for a team like the Sox.

35th and Shields
09-07-2008, 06:57 PM

:gulp: cheers to that

hula
09-07-2008, 08:18 PM

Ditto to that!! Who wouldn't love to play for the team they grew up supporting? To have that chance and then have it end had to be really tough....

Anyway, Louisville lost the series tonight and he didn't even start for them.... I waited afterwards with all the baseball card autograph hounds, but he was in no mood to talk to fans. Can't blame the guy for that.... :(:

JorgeFabregas
09-07-2008, 11:14 PM
I wonder why his production dropped off so much after being traded.

DumpJerry
09-07-2008, 11:40 PM
I wonder why his production dropped off so much after being traded.
He got away from Walker.

JorgeFabregas
09-08-2008, 09:34 AM
I know you're kidding, but he had similar production on the Pirates and White Sox. He's a bit young to just fall into the abyss.

eriqjaffe
09-08-2008, 10:35 AM
I wonder why his production dropped off so much after being traded.No kidding, I didn't realize how bad it was. When he was dealt to the Padres, he was leading the Sox in hitting, in fact. Then...man, just off a cliff. Maybe, just maybe, KW knew something was going on a la Freddy Garcia and sold as high as he could?

edit: Checking Mack's wikipedia page, he underwent surgery for a "double sports hernia" after the '07 season, so my speculation may not have been as wild as I had thought.

FWIW, I thought Mack was a tremendous asset to the Sox who was (unfairly) being treated like dirt when he was asked to play out of position for an extended period of time.

Playing people in center field who wouldn't ordinarily have any business in center field seems to be SOP for Ozzie, though.