PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Magic Number Countdown Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Brian26
09-06-2008, 11:04 PM
With the Twins loss and the Sox victory today, the Sox magic number is 19.

jabrch
09-06-2008, 11:18 PM
RIOT (http://riot.ieor.berkeley.edu/~baseball/american_league.html) has it at 18.

Brian26
09-06-2008, 11:23 PM
I always though the formula was 163 minus #wins for the 1st place team minus #losses for the 2nd place team.

163-80-64=19

sox1970
09-06-2008, 11:25 PM
When you lead:
# of Games left + 1, minus games up in the loss column.

When you trail:
# of Games left + 1, plus games behind in the loss column.

voodoochile
09-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Riot only talks about the number of games to avoid elimination. Add one for the clinch.

It's not a three way race, so odds are RIOT won't differ much from MN this year.

jabrch
09-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Riot only talks about the number of games to avoid elimination. Add one for the clinch.

It's not a three way race, so odds are RIOT won't differ much from MN this year.

RIOT had 2 numbers, a clinch and an avoid elimination number.

guillensdisciple
09-06-2008, 11:48 PM
The number is 19, just to mlb.com to the standing section and then press the link to the elim # and it will say 19.
Not bad our elimination number is lower then the rays I believe.

thomas35forever
09-06-2008, 11:53 PM
The proper formula is the number of games left plus one minus the number of games ahead in the loss column.

doublem23
09-07-2008, 12:09 AM
RIOT is wrong, and if they've been your source for your signature this season, that explains why it's been off for as long as I can remember.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/index.jsp

I'll trust MLB on this subject.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-07-2008, 12:40 AM
This isn't disputable. Basic arithmetic and logic skills.

If the Twins were to win all their remaining 20 games, how many wins would they have? 98.

In that event, how many wins do the Sox need to have one more win and win the division, that is, 99 wins? They have 80 now, so they need 19 more.

So the magic number is 19. Any combination of Sox wins and Twins losses -- including the highly unlikely one of zero Twins losses and 19 Sox wins -- means the Sox finish one game ahead and win the division.

Thus the formula: games the Sox have remaining (21), plus one (that one game you want to be ahead at the end), minus games ahead in the loss column (3). Those are the games the second place team can never get back even if they win out. That's why, if you are computing the magic number for the second place team, you add them back in.

LoveYourSuit
09-07-2008, 12:52 AM
This season sucks if we don't win 100.

Blow it up.

jcw218
09-07-2008, 01:47 AM
In the info (http://riot.ieor.berkeley.edu/~baseball/detail_numbers.html) page, Riot's clinch numbers state that x team needs to win this many games to guarantee a tie for either 1st in the division or a playoff spot and not an outright winner.

IronFisk
09-07-2008, 02:13 AM
you really think this is a good idea in a tight race?

Nellie_Fox
09-07-2008, 02:20 AM
you really think this is a good idea in a tight race?Probably not, but once it's under 20, I think people are going to start counting regardless.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Probably not, but once it's under 20, I think people are going to start counting regardless.

Yep, it's hard to tell people not to watch the scoreboard in September.

Brian26
09-07-2008, 10:37 AM
you really think this is a good idea in a tight race?

Probably not

Why? Is talking about it on a message board going to have some adverse effect or superstitious consequence on the natural order of events as they play out in real life?

It's on the front page of the Trib sports section this morning, fwiw.

UofCSoxFan
09-07-2008, 12:32 PM
This isn't disputable. Basic arithmetic and logic skills.

If the Twins were to win all their remaining 20 games, how many wins would they have? 98.

In that event, how many wins do the Sox need to have one more win and win the division, that is, 99 wins? They have 80 now, so they need 19 more.

So the magic number is 19. Any combination of Sox wins and Twins losses -- including the highly unlikely one of zero Twins losses and 19 Sox wins -- means the Sox finish one game ahead and win the division.

Thus the formula: games the Sox have remaining (21), plus one (that one game you want to be ahead at the end), minus games ahead in the loss column (3). Those are the games the second place team can never get back even if they win out. That's why, if you are computing the magic number for the second place team, you add them back in.

Or even a simpler formula as you alluded to earlier....take the maximum number of wins the Twins can have at the end of the year (98) add 1 (99) and subtract it from the current wins the Sox have (99-80=19). I don't know why this is so hard for people to figure out.

jabrch
09-07-2008, 01:02 PM
RIOT is wrong, and if they've been your source for your signature this season, that explains why it's been off for as long as I can remember.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/index.jsp

I'll trust MLB on this subject.

Yes - that's what my source has been since it got under 100.

voodoochile
09-07-2008, 02:02 PM
RIOT had 2 numbers, a clinch and an avoid elimination number.

http://riot.ieor.berkeley.edu/~baseball/detail_numbers.html

The first place clinch number is the most similar to the commonly reported magic number. If the team wins this number of additional games, it is guaranteed to finish in at least a tie for first place in its division

IronFisk
09-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Why? Is talking about it on a message board going to have some adverse effect or superstitious consequence on the natural order of events as they play out in real life?

Not being stupidstitious here, but why bother with magic numbers when within a few days it could become a "tragic" number?

I'll get on the magic number bus in the last week if this keeps up, or if we start opening a nice lead beforehand.

Brian26
09-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Not being stupidstitious here, but why bother with magic numbers when within a few days it could become a "tragic" number?

I'll get on the magic number bus in the last week if this keeps up, or if we start opening a nice lead beforehand.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is only the 5th time in the last 25 years (since 1984) that the Sox have had a magic number under 20 ('93, '00, '03, '05, '08), with '03 being the only time they didn't win it, so why not have a little bit of fun with it?

The game is designed to break your heart, and that shouldn't be a newsflash to anyone. I'm surprised people become so overtly bandwagon fans with their emotions. It's like the antithesis description of a typical Cubs fan.

illini81887
09-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Down to 18

CHISOXFAN13
09-07-2008, 06:10 PM

It's on the front page of the Trib sports section this morning, fwiw.

Also now in the standings on Yahoo's baseball page. They have started counting each team's when it got to 20.

HawkDJ
09-08-2008, 12:05 AM
I think the only ones who deserve to look at the magic number at this point are the Angels and the Cubs.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-08-2008, 12:16 AM
I think the only ones who deserve to look at the magic number at this point are the Angels and the Cubs.

The Angels I grant you, as they will clinch in a few days, but the Cubs' magic number is 16 -- not so very different from 18, really.

Optipessimism
09-08-2008, 12:18 AM
The Angels I grant you, as they will clinch in a few days, but the Cubs' magic number is 16 -- not so very different from 18, really.
And the Cubs are only 4 games up, too. That's better than what we have, but it's still not a lot of padding.

doublem23
09-08-2008, 12:42 AM
And the Cubs are only 4 games up, too. That's better than what we have, but it's still not a lot of padding.

They have an 8 game cushion for the play-offs, though.

They will need to pull of an epic collapse. Cross your fingers, everybody!

jabrch
09-08-2008, 12:55 AM
They have an 8 game cushion for the play-offs, though.

They will need to pull of an epic collapse. Cross your fingers, everybody!

I'm still hoping for a Sox vs Cubs World Series...

nsdjoe
09-08-2008, 12:55 AM
We have 20 games left (10 at home, 10 away), the Twins have 19 (9 at home, 10 away), with a magic number of 18.

If we go 10-10 the rest of the way, Minnesota can do as well as 11-8 and still miss the playoffs.

Baseball Prospectus has the Sox at 82-ish percent to make the playoffs and considering the above, that seems about right to me.

Edit: If we can go 7-3 the remainder at home and 3-7 on the road (TOTALLY doable), and the Twins don't catch fire (doesn't look likely atm), the Central is ours!

jabrch
09-08-2008, 01:05 AM
Let's go 5-2 in the next 7...keep the pressure on Minny.

chisoxfanatic
09-08-2008, 01:08 AM
Uhhh, NO!

doublem23
09-08-2008, 01:13 AM

I'm hoping the Cubs lose every single game the rest of the way.

Epic Collapse. This is the year!

jabrch
09-08-2008, 01:14 AM
Uhhh, NO!

Can you imagine...Can you imagine a Sox vs Cubs game 7 at USCF?

chisoxfanatic
09-08-2008, 01:14 AM

Thank you! I could not stomach a Sox/Cubs World Series.

Tomorrow, this magic number decreases by another.

BleacherBandit
09-08-2008, 01:15 AM
Do I want to if the Cubs win?

chisoxfanatic
09-08-2008, 01:15 AM
Yes, I can imagine it...Imagine, along with tons of others, having to go to the hospital due to having either a heart attack or severe dehydration due to losing thirst/appetite.

No freaking thank you!

Sockinchisox
09-08-2008, 01:27 AM
Uhhh, NO!

Ditto, I want no part of a Cubs/Sox World Series.

Nellie_Fox
09-08-2008, 01:27 AM
Yes, I can imagine it...Imagine, along with tons of others, having to go to the hospital due to having either a heart attack or severe dehydration due to losing thirst/appetite.

No freaking thank you!Or because you get critically injured in the inevitable riot that would follow, no matter which team won.

chisoxfanatic
09-08-2008, 01:36 AM
Or because you get critically injured in the inevitable riot that would follow, no matter which team won.
Agreed. If there was a Game 7, I'd be fearing the safety for my neighborhood. There would definitely be riots aplenty. I want NO part in it, so, whomever plays the Cubs can knock them out asap so that we wouldn't have to deal with it.

jabrch
09-08-2008, 08:38 AM
I'm really surprised. I think it would be the most awesome thing for a baseball fan in this town. A winner take all series - after all the "meaningless" games we have played since 1906...

nccwsfan
09-08-2008, 09:45 AM
I'm really surprised. I think it would be the most awesome thing for a baseball fan in this town. A winner take all series - after all the "meaningless" games we have played since 1906...

I'm with you- I would absolutely want a White Sox/Cubs World Series. It would be the single greatest sporting moment in Chicago history, making the 85' Bears season look like an ordinary year.

Count me in as a yes vote.

doublem23
09-08-2008, 09:48 AM

Can you imagine if the Cubs blow this division & wild card lead this season?

10x more hilarious.

Law11
09-08-2008, 09:49 AM
what if we both clinch the same night.
Oh the madness!! The CPD would be SO happy.

jabrch
09-08-2008, 10:14 AM
Can you imagine if the Cubs blow this division & wild card lead this season?

10x more hilarious.

Agreed it would be funny - but not nearly as funny as if we beat them in a game 7 WS.

Either way - the excitement of a Sox vs Cubs WS would be awesome.

chisoxfanatic
09-08-2008, 10:17 AM
If we WERE to play them in the World Series, I could not HANDLE a 7-game series, so it better be over in 4 games with the Sox winning, thank you very much!

munchman33
09-08-2008, 10:19 AM
If we WERE to play them in the World Series, I could not HANDLE a 7-game series, so it better be over in 4 games with the Sox winning, thank you very much!

I'd take seven if it meant we won.

Craig Grebeck
09-08-2008, 10:21 AM
I'd take seven if it meant we won.
Me too.

jabrch
09-08-2008, 11:51 AM

I'd WANT 7. The drama and heartbreak for the loser would be even greater. I don't think it is much an exaggeration to say that would be the highest stakes game of baseball in the history of baseball. I want that...

I also want to win it all again.

asindc
09-08-2008, 12:59 PM
I'd WANT 7. The drama and heartbreak for the loser would be even greater. I don't think it is much an exaggeration to say that would be the highest stakes game of baseball in the history of baseball. I want that...

In the Washington Post today, there is a feature in the Sports section that ranks the most wanted WS matchups:

1) Sox-Cubs

2) Boston-Cubs

3) Milwaukee-Tampa (small market triumph)

4) Dodgers-Boston (Manny being Manny, Torre, Nomar, and all that)

5) Tampa-Cubs (small market vs. "curse")

In the blurb on the Sox-Cubs matchup, it is noted that this is no doubt the most intense interleague rivalry and the Cubs losing to the Sox would be the absolute worst for Cubs fans. Things we already know here at WSI and in the Chicago area, but worth nothing that an East Coast paper also realizes it.

My Dad is a Cubs fan, so I wouldn't necessarily gloat about beating them in the WS (not to him, at least :wink:), but it would be extra-sweet nonetheless. 4, 5, 6, or 7 games, it doesn't matter to me, as long as we won it.

chisoxfanatic
09-08-2008, 02:01 PM

No! Sweep, please...in our favor.

jabrch
09-08-2008, 02:21 PM
No! Sweep, please...in our favor.

Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't be opposed to that. Any result where the Sox win the WS is acceptable for me. I'd just love the "show" that a Game 7 would be.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-08-2008, 05:49 PM
In the Washington Post today, there is a feature in the Sports section that ranks the most wanted WS matchups:

1) Sox-Cubs

2) Boston-Cubs

5) Tampa-Cubs (small market vs. "curse")

I really doubt that list, in that order, is anything other than a figment of the imagination of the author and is not some sort of public preference. For number 3, for instance, who would really want to see Milwaukee-Tampa Bay? That would be last on any list I could conceive, and anyone outside those two cities would not find that matchup particularly attractive if you were an ordinary fan or a casual fan. That matchup would the MLB's and Fox Sport's worst nightmare. The ratings would stink.

asindc
09-08-2008, 07:09 PM
I really doubt that list, in that order, is anything other than a figment of the imagination of the author and is not some sort of public preference. For number 3, for instance, who would really want to see Milwaukee-Tampa Bay? That would be last on any list I could conceive, and anyone outside those two cities would not find that matchup particularly attractive if you were an ordinary fan or a casual fan. That matchup would the MLB's and Fox Sport's worst nightmare. The ratings would stink.

It is strictly the author's opinion. I just found it noteworthy that an East Coast writer seemed to have a keen perspective on a possible Sox-Cubs series.

guillensdisciple
09-08-2008, 08:44 PM
I think it would be the most highly viewed world series in the history of baseball. It would open up Chicago to the rest of the world since we always seem to be undermined as a sports town.

I want the sox to sweep, but this will be good for the city, as well as the sox.

as long as no one gets killed that is.

TheOldRoman
09-11-2008, 12:16 AM
Well, folks, its down to 17. One step closer.

beasly213
09-11-2008, 10:03 AM
As much as I hate this nail biting race, I'm glad for it too. If I was an Angles fan I'd be worried I clinched so soon. Worried about how my team would react to such a long layoff without playing any VERY meaningful games. (Yes I know they still have to play for home field but its not the same as playing for a division).

PicktoCLick72
09-11-2008, 03:58 PM

Jaffar
09-11-2008, 04:17 PM
I'm trying not to get caught up in this thread until it is at least single digits. I just can't help myself!!

LoveYourSuit
09-11-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm trying not to get caught up in this thread until it is at least single digits. I just can't help myself!!

especially since the team right behind us is counting down a magic number only 1 or 2 digits off our pace.

TDog
09-11-2008, 04:41 PM

1) Sox-Cubs

2) Boston-Cubs

5) Tampa-Cubs (small market vs. "curse"). ...

Isn't a White Sox-Houston matchup still possible?

Red Barchetta
09-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't be opposed to that. Any result where the Sox win the WS is acceptable for me. I'd just love the "show" that a Game 7 would be.

I'm torn on this. I don't know what would be more entertaining...Winning the WS vs. the Cubs in Game 7 which would be at the Cell due to AL home field advantage or winning it in game 4 or 5 at Wrigley. Imagine the Cubs taking a lead into the top of the 9th, the SOX go ahead with a HR and then hold the Cubs in the bottom of the 9th. :D:

gr8mexico
09-11-2008, 05:14 PM
I'm torn on this. I don't know what would be more entertaining...Winning the WS vs. the Cubs in Game 7 which would be at the Cell due to AL home field advantage or winning it in game 4 or 5 at Wrigley. Imagine the Cubs taking a lead into the top of the 9th, the SOX go ahead with a HR and then hold the Cubs in the bottom of the 9th. :D:
No much better if we won at Wrigley. We would finally burn that place down.:bandance:

nsdjoe
09-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Here's how I see the remaining games leading up to the series in Minnesota playing out (assuming a win tonight)

CHW MIN
9/12 DET (W) @BAL (W) +2
9/13 DET (L) @BAL (W) +1
9/14 DET (W) @BAL (L) +2
9/15 @NYY (L) @CLE (L) +2
9/16 @NYY (W) @CLE (W) +2
9/17 @NYY (L) @CLE (L) +2
9/18 @NYY (W) @TB (L) +3
9/19 @KC (W) @TB (W) +3
9/20 @KC (W) @TB (L) +4
9/21 @KC (L) @TB (W) +3

Sooo if my estimation is correct we'll be up 3 going into Minnesota. So long as we manage to win 1 game we should be in good shape.

edit: well all of my formatting got ruined. The first column is date, 2nd column is Sox opponent, 3rd column is MIN opponent, 4th column is our lead in the division.

guillensdisciple
09-11-2008, 06:53 PM
16... not bad at all.

Brian26
09-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Twins lose to Baltimore. Down to 15.

Law11
09-14-2008, 04:24 PM
2 wins tonight gets it to 13 and a 2 game lead?

Brian26
09-14-2008, 04:25 PM
2 wins tonight gets it to 13 and a 2 game lead?

1.5 game lead if the Sox sweep the DH. Remember they started the day tied.

voodoochile
09-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Any way you slice it being up two in the loss column is great.

Law11
09-14-2008, 04:26 PM
1.5 game lead if the Sox sweep the DH. Remember they started the day tied.

stand corrected.. Thanks

Brian26
09-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Twins lose to Baltimore. Down to 15.

Thank you Javy. Make it 14.

TheOldRoman
09-14-2008, 11:25 PM
13!

guillensdisciple
09-14-2008, 11:42 PM
Put that on the board, the magic number is now 13!!

chisoxfanatic
09-14-2008, 11:44 PM
:hawk
"I luv falling magic numbers!!!"

doublem23
09-15-2008, 12:06 AM
Down to 2 hands and a foot.

TheOldRoman
09-15-2008, 09:54 PM

Brian26
09-15-2008, 09:55 PM
Cleveland defeats Minnesota. Magic # 12.

chisoxfanatic
09-15-2008, 09:56 PM
This magic number is going down too Slowey for me. :cool:

Marqhead
09-15-2008, 10:04 PM
This magic number is going down too Slowey for me. :cool:

BOOOOOO :tongue:

guillensdisciple
09-15-2008, 10:07 PM
12, anyone think the Sox and Twins have decided to copy each other for the rest of the year to make fans go nuts?

Rockabilly
09-15-2008, 10:11 PM
I have a feeling that the Sox will clinch the AL Central in Minnesota..

chisoxfanatic
09-15-2008, 10:20 PM
I get this feeling that the Sox might clinch the division on a night they lose, like they did in 2000. That would be fitting for this season.

thomas35forever
09-15-2008, 10:21 PM
I get this feeling that the Sox might clinch the division on a night they lose, like they did in 2000. That would be fitting for this season.

I have a feeling that the Sox will clinch the AL Central in Minnesota..
Both have happened before. Ironically, it was in the same year. Guess how that postseason turned out.

sox1970
09-15-2008, 10:22 PM

Why would it matter? I don't care how they win the division. If it happens on a day they lose, big deal.

Rockabilly
09-15-2008, 10:28 PM
the only thing that matters is that we win the last game played in Oct...

ChiSox89
09-15-2008, 10:50 PM
that would be something if we clinched in minnesota. but wouldn't we need like a 3 game lead going in to minnesota to clinch? it gets confusing thinking about it

sox1970
09-15-2008, 10:54 PM
that would be something if we clinched in minnesota. but wouldn't we need like a 3 game lead going in to minnesota to clinch? it gets confusing thinking about it

It'll be on a half game the rest of the season. If the Sox go in with a 2.5 game lead, that means their magic number will be 5. They'd have to sweep the Twins to win there.

soxwon
09-15-2008, 11:08 PM
6 wins for us out of 13 games no problem
6 losses for minnesota no problem

Chisox353014
09-15-2008, 11:29 PM
12, anyone think the Sox and Twins have decided to copy each other for the rest of the year to make fans go nuts?

It's looking like a good ol' fashioned slapfight to the finish. Neither team seems capable of opening up any distance on the other.

OldRomanPizza
09-16-2008, 01:13 AM
I do countdown by past Chicago players' numbers, in all sports.

18 was Denis Savard
13 was Ozzie
12 is either Heinrich or Brent Sutter :tongue:

CMON YOU SOX!

I share all cynicism and doubt but a division title is still a division title. Another excuse to party!

Foulke You
09-16-2008, 01:35 AM
I do countdown by past Chicago players' numbers, in all sports.

18 was Denis Savard
13 was Ozzie
12 is either Heinrich or Brent Sutter :tongue:

CMON YOU SOX!

I share all cynicism and doubt but a division title is still a division title. Another excuse to party!
I'll be excited when you get to Nellie Fox or Lance Johnson.:cool:

TDog
09-16-2008, 01:56 AM

First things first. The Sox could pass Luis Aparacio on Tuesday and go right to Sherm Lollar. Then there is Minnie Minoso, Bo Jackson, Marc Hill, Tommy McCraw, Duane Josephson, Luke Appling and Harold Baines before you get to Nellie Fox.

TheOldRoman
09-16-2008, 10:10 PM
11!

PicktoCLick72
09-16-2008, 10:10 PM
11. Wish we could have gotten one more.

doublem23
09-16-2008, 10:12 PM

Still have a chance tonight.

/fingers crossed

UofCSoxFan
09-16-2008, 10:24 PM

How about Orlando Woolridge?

Brian26
09-16-2008, 10:35 PM
http://images.wikia.com/muppet/images/thumb/3/3c/CT-p0001-ST.jpg/300px-CT-p0001-ST.jpg

"Rudy Law!"

asindc
09-16-2008, 10:38 PM

You know something the rest of us don't?

GregO23
09-16-2008, 10:43 PM
thank you *** sizemore

chisoxfanatic
09-16-2008, 10:46 PM
http://images.wikia.com/muppet/images/thumb/3/3c/CT-p0001-ST.jpg/300px-CT-p0001-ST.jpg

"Rudy Law!"
:hawk
"I luv it when you count down numbers!"

Sockinchisox
09-16-2008, 11:32 PM
10!

jcw218
09-16-2008, 11:34 PM
10!

pdimas
10 nathan blows up again !!! :tongue:

Brian26

"Royce Clayton!"

chisoxmike
09-16-2008, 11:35 PM
:moonwalk:

TheOldRoman
09-16-2008, 11:37 PM
10!!!

vegyrex
09-16-2008, 11:39 PM
10!! :bandance:

doublem23
09-16-2008, 11:40 PM
:moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk:

BringBackBlkJack
09-16-2008, 11:41 PM
10!!!

:twinslose

or alternatively:

http://i351.photobucket.com/albums/q458/ddicecco/indianswin.jpg

I'm bored, can you tell?

Soxman219
09-16-2008, 11:47 PM
It looks like the Twins are quitting, now is the time to take this ****! We can win the division as early as Sunday!

voodoochile
09-16-2008, 11:49 PM
So by the Ozzie scale, we're tied with the Twins in the loss column right now. The worst that can happen is that we will need to win the make up game to get to a one game playoff.

Of course maybe (just maybe) the Rays will send some happiness our way this weekend.

Come on people SMILE!

voodoochile
09-16-2008, 11:50 PM
It looks like the Twins are quitting, now is the time to take this ****! We can win the division as early as Sunday!

I wouldn't call it quitting. They came back from down 8-1 to take a 9-8 lead in the 7th tonight. You might say they suck, but I wouldn't call them quitters...

kevingrt
09-16-2008, 11:51 PM
So by the Ozzie scale, we're tied with the Twins in the loss column right now. The worst that can happen is that we will need to win the make up game to get to a one game playoff.

Of course maybe (just maybe) the Rays will send some happiness our way this weekend.

Come on people SMILE!

A Rays sweep anyone or at least 3 out of 4 while we sweep KC. That would feel awesome.

gobears1987
09-16-2008, 11:52 PM
I wouldn't call it quitting. They came back from down 8-1 to take a 9-8 lead in the 7th tonight. You might say they suck, but I wouldn't call them quitters...
They didn't quit, but they just got their hearts broken. That loss can kill them.

gobears1987
09-16-2008, 11:54 PM
A Rays sweep anyone or at least 3 out of 4 while we sweep KC. That would feel awesome.
That would be nice as it give us time to set our rotation for October. I don't think Minnesota wins tomorrow against Lee either.

ajismyhero
09-16-2008, 11:57 PM
Lee is pitching tomorrow? Awesome! :bandance:

Oblong
09-17-2008, 12:07 AM
The Sox are going to win this division. MN just doesn't have it. I could see them winning it if both the Sox and Twins were winning and going neck and neck but the Twins have just given away too many games the last 2 weeks in a fashion that suggests they don't have it.

When the Tigers signed Cabrera Kenny Williams said "That just puts them in a better position to compete with us". I knew better than to mock but lots of Tiger fans did. The crow has been served.

Have fun enjoying October baseball. Be passionate but remember, since you guys won it in 2005, the pressure's off a little. Just enjoy it as fans. Once you get in it's all gravy. 2005 took care of that.

:gulp:

Soxman219
09-17-2008, 12:09 AM
They didn't quit, but they just got their hearts broken. That loss can kill them.

True, the Twins are hard to kill, but maybe this will hurt them. We need to take advantage of this.

DumpJerry
09-17-2008, 12:09 AM
Have fun enjoying October baseball. Be passionate but remember, since you guys won it in 2005, the pressure's off a little. Just enjoy it as fans. Once you get in it's all gravy. 2005 took care of that.

Thanks. However, the pressure will be more intense this time because we'll be playing the Cubs.

Of course, it will be the same 4-0 result as 2005......

Rdy2PlayBall
09-17-2008, 12:13 AM
Thanks. However, the pressure will be more intense this time because we'll be playing the Cubs.

Of course, it will be the same 4-0 result as 2005......Will pitchers go on 3 days rest in the playoffs too? :?:

doublem23
09-17-2008, 12:14 AM
Will pitchers go on 3 days rest in the playoffs too? :?:

No, you can have a 4-man rotation the post-season and have everyone pitch on normal rest thanks to all the off days scheduled into the postseason.

guillensdisciple
09-17-2008, 12:24 AM
WOOOOO, 10 is now the magic number

GO SOX!!!

A. Cavatica
09-17-2008, 12:38 AM
The next five games are gut check time for the Twins: Cliff Lee in Cleveland tomorrow, followed by four in Tampa Bay, where TB has been formidable. The Rays will go into that series either tied with Boston, or two up. They will be motivated.

Meanwhile, we get to face the Yankees twice and the Royals three times.

I will be shocked if we don't pick up at least a game on the Twins before the head-to-head, and we could easily pick up more. That one game would be huge; it means the Twins can't catch us even if they sweep us.

Our playoff chances are up to 71.8% on espn.com.

DumpJerry
09-17-2008, 12:40 AM
One thing to keep in mind about the Twins' series in Tampa: if there is any visiting team that can play in that dump of a stadium, it's the Twins. No place like home.

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 12:42 AM

Of course, it will be the same 4-0 result as 2005......
I'm glad I'll be in the same section as you for the World Series, because I'd be on pins and needles unless we were to take a commanding lead (like we did in Game 1 of the 2005 ALDS).

jabrch
09-17-2008, 12:45 AM

More than their hearts being broken, their Nathan is clearly broken at this point.

DumpJerry
09-17-2008, 12:46 AM
I'm glad I'll be in the same section as you for the World Series, because I'd be on pins and needles unless we were to take a commanding lead (like we did in Game 1 of the 2005 ALDS).
All I know is that the day after Game 4, I'm going into the office and doing the Happy Dance in front of the resident Cub fans.

TheOldRoman
09-17-2008, 12:49 AM
http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/857/45059070.JPG

thomas35forever
09-17-2008, 01:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wxHeWaXa_I

Law11
09-17-2008, 09:13 AM
with the schedule setting up like it is with Minn in tampa we could clinch this in Minny if we just take care of todays game and take 2/3 in KC..
You'd like to think Lee takes care of the twins tonight and Tampa takes 2

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 09:43 AM
You'd like to think Lee takes care of the twins tonight and Tampa takes 2
I think that walk-off job done by Navarro last night is the exact spark Tampa needed to get them going on a nice division-clinching run of their own. They're going to be playing like someone's holding a cigarette lighter right under their butts. Minnesota's in big trouble! It's a pretty sight seeing Gardy squirm like this.

Lundind1
09-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Hey I just need 5 and 5. I need 5 solid wins by the Sox and 5 solid losses by the Twinks.

I really think that this is not over yet. How many times did I say that "Oh, they're done" just to be surprised.

I would love it if the Sox were able to clinch this thing at home for once.

guillensdisciple
09-17-2008, 11:29 AM
I would rather the Sox clinch on the road. Don't care where they clinch it as long as they clinch it. I just don't want to see any kind of pressure on the Sox when they play at home against the Indians. I understand they are good at home but you never know what can happen in the last three games of the year.

The sox have to close this one out as soon as they can.

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 11:31 AM
I would love it if the Sox were able to clinch this thing at home for once.
Too stressful, and I'd love for nothing more than to have them celebrating at the Baggie Dome! But, they can clinch the ALDS at home! :D:

Lundind1
09-17-2008, 11:47 AM
I just think that it would be something special if they did clinch at home during that last homestand....say the Friday night game. We weren't able to celebrate anything at home during 2005, we deserve a chance to make the young lady shake, rattle, and roll.

haganaga
09-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Essentially all we need to do is finish 6-6 over the last 12 games (if the make-up is even necessary). At 6-6 we finish with 90 wins, meaning the Twins would have to finish 8-3 just to tie us. No simple task for the Twins looking at their remaining schedule.

I'm still "cautiously optimistic" because anything can happen until the final games are played, but I feel pretty darn good right about now.

Foulke You
09-17-2008, 01:14 PM
Essentially all we need to do is finish 6-6 over the last 12 games (if the make-up is even necessary). At 6-6 we finish with 90 wins, meaning the Twins would have to finish 8-3 just to tie us. No simple task for the Twins looking at their remaining schedule.

I'm still "cautiously optimistic" because anything can happen until the final games are played, but I feel pretty darn good right about now.
6W-6L for the Sox and 8W-3L for the Twins just sounds so much better than a 2.5 game lead doesn't it? It shows just how huge that game yesterday. The Sox need to keep tightening the screws down on the young Twins. A win for the Sox today and a loss for the Twins would be huge with them going into Tampa for four. I'd feel very optimistic about our chances of clinching if that happens today.

TDog
09-17-2008, 01:34 PM
Essentially all we need to do is finish 6-6 over the last 12 games (if the make-up is even necessary). At 6-6 we finish with 90 wins, meaning the Twins would have to finish 8-3 just to tie us. No simple task for the Twins looking at their remaining schedule. ....

Unfortunately, if the Sox go 6-5, and the Twins go 8-3, the White Sox would have to play the makeup game against the Tigers. A win would put the Sox in the ALDS. A loss would bring the Twins to town to give them a shot at the ALDS. The magic number to clinch a tie is nine.

Magic numbers are for teams that are coasting, or, I suppose, to make fans feel better about their team's task ahead. Twins fans may be doing magic numbers themselves with hopes of knocking six off with the Sox in town.

It's a tough race just as the 2005 race was tough at the end with the dreaded series in Clevleland to look forward to. The Sox need to go out and win and hope the Twins lose to build up their AL Central lead. Being up three in the loss column is the big thing right now.

jabrch
09-17-2008, 01:37 PM

I'd like to go 7-5 or better...Force the Twins to be near perfect.

doublem23
09-17-2008, 01:41 PM
I'd like to go 7-5 or better...Force the Twins to be near perfect.

I'd like to go 12-0 and go to the play-offs red hot.

:dunno:

White City
09-17-2008, 01:46 PM
It might be nice for the fans if the Sox could clinch a tie at Minnesota, then clinch it outright on the Friday night game against the 'Toons. I am hopeful, but let's be honest -- our chances aren't as robust as they were in 2005. Giving the hometown fans a special moment to cap the season would be nice.

Plus, if the sox clinch on Friday, they can throw Richard/Broadway/Carrasco in some combination for the final two games, giving Ozzie ample opportunity to align his rotation for the postseason -- and we would avoid the Detroit game on the 29th.

jabrch
09-17-2008, 01:47 PM

True...as long as we get there, that's what I want...

soxpride724
09-17-2008, 01:49 PM
It might be nice for the fans if the Sox could clinch a tie at Minnesota, then clinch it outright on the Friday night game against the 'Toons. I am hopeful, but let's be honest -- our chances aren't as robust as they were in 2005. Giving the hometown fans a special moment to cap the season would be nice.

Plus, if the sox clinch on Friday, they can throw Richard/Broadway/Carrasco in some combination for the final two games, giving Ozzie ample opportunity to align his rotation for the postseason -- and we would avoid the Detroit game on the 29th.

It would be cool to clinch in front of the home town fans. I think this thing ends in Minny, provided the Sox can hold their ground and the Twins keep sliding.

Rounding_Third
09-17-2008, 02:04 PM
It would be cool to clinch in front of the home town fans. I think this thing ends in Minny, provided the Sox can hold their ground and the Twins keep sliding.

Go Cliff Lee!!!!!

Noneck
09-17-2008, 02:10 PM
At this point I think the twinks only shot is win all 3 in the Sox series. The Sox starters have been too good to really tank now and the twinks pitching is too bad currently to get really hot vs. Lee and then the Rays. I think the fat lady is warming her vocal cords now.

UofCSoxFan
09-17-2008, 02:25 PM
If the Sox can win 3 of their next 5 going into Minny I'll be happy. I see the Twins losing at least 3 of their next 5 which would mean we'd be up 3.5 with 6 to play (7 if necessary). Anything better than that would be gravy.

voodoochile
09-17-2008, 03:23 PM

10-2 with EVERYONE resting the last Saturday and Sunday of the season... :D:

doublem23
09-17-2008, 03:25 PM
10-2 with EVERYONE resting the last Saturday and Sunday of the season... :D:

I would be down with a benchwarmer sweep of the Indians a la 2005. :o:

jdm2662
09-17-2008, 03:54 PM
I would be down with a benchwarmer sweep of the Indians a la 2005. :o:

One of my favorite games of all time. :D:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=250930105

TDog
09-17-2008, 04:27 PM
At this point I think the twinks only shot is win all 3 in the Sox series. The Sox starters have been too good to really tank now and the twinks pitching is too bad currently to get really hot vs. Lee and then the Rays. I think the fat lady is warming her vocal cords now.

Just as a pitcher you would least expect beat Liriano on Tuesday, the Twins could come up big against Cliff Lee tonight. Any pitcher can have a bad night. It would seem unlikely, considering how demoralized we imagine the Twins must be.

Really, the Twins of late have been getting good pitching in games where they score sevenor more runs. It's sort of weird when you look at hwoe they have been doing. Tuesday night was unusual for them in that it combined bad pitching and good hitting. What has been consistent with the Twins of late is that they don't win close games.

Clinching a tie would certainly put the Twins in a hole. Not only would they have to sweep the Sox and the Royals at home, but they would have to hope the Sox lose three to Cleveland and one to Detroit just to get a chance to go to Chicago and beat the Sox to win their way into the postseason.

Nellie_Fox
09-17-2008, 04:31 PM
...they would have to hope the Sox lose three to Cleveland and one to Detroit just to get a chance to go to Chicago and beat the Sox to win their way into the postseason.Unless I'm misunderstanding your point here, I think you have the wrong impression. The twins don't go to Chicago next week, the Sox go to Minneapolis.

Noneck
09-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Unless I'm misunderstanding your point here, I think you have the wrong impression. The twins don't go to Chicago next week, the Sox go to Minneapolis.

The Sox go to Min. for their series and hope they never come to Chicago this year. (Playoff Div. Game) That was Tdogs point.

Nellie_Fox
09-17-2008, 04:46 PM
The Sox go to Min. for their series and hope they never come to Chicago this year. (Playoff Div. Game) That was Tdogs point.
Okay, I re-read it (three times) and finally the light came on. I get it now. As Emily Litella would say, "never mind."

Noneck
09-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Just as a pitcher you would least expect beat Liriano on Tuesday, the Twins could come up big against Cliff Lee tonight. Any pitcher can have a bad night. It would seem unlikely, considering how demoralized we imagine the Twins must be.

Really, the Twins of late have been getting good pitching in games where they score sevenor more runs. It's sort of weird when you look at hwoe they have been doing. Tuesday night was unusual for them in that it combined bad pitching and good hitting. What has been consistent with the Twins of late is that they don't win close games.

Clinching a tie would certainly put the Twins in a hole. Not only would they have to sweep the Sox and the Royals at home, but they would have to hope the Sox lose three to Cleveland and one to Detroit just to get a chance to go to Chicago and beat the Sox to win their way into the postseason.

The twins come back after a 7 run deficit after their ace gets rocked and then lose the game because one of the best closers in the game gets spanked. The majority of their club is very inexperienced, I just can't see them coming back to face Lee and Rays after that.

delben91
09-17-2008, 05:23 PM
I've always been a fan of the "just win today's game" mentality. Each night after the game, we can rehash the magic number discussion, but projecting anything, even just with 2 weeks left is still inexact. This is baseball, the Twins could hang an 8 spot on Lee in the first inning tonight. Unlikely, but it could happen.

Just win today Sox, and then tomorrow, win again.

TDog
09-17-2008, 06:00 PM
The twins come back after a 7 run deficit after their ace gets rocked and then lose the game because one of the best closers in the game gets spanked. The majority of their club is very inexperienced, I just can't see them coming back to face Lee and Rays after that.

Neither do I. But stranger things have happened, and I've seen them happen involving the White Sox.

yazz32
09-17-2008, 10:59 PM
9!!!!

:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance: :bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

TheOldRoman
09-17-2008, 11:00 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2077/2466242259_a03d3a932d.jpg?v=0!

Sockinchisox
09-17-2008, 11:00 PM

doublem23
09-17-2008, 11:01 PM
:moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk:

Soxman219
09-17-2008, 11:01 PM
:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance: :bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:!

guillensdisciple
09-17-2008, 11:02 PM
9 baby!!! Man the Twins really are helping the Sox out at this point, woulda been nice to have that cut down to 8 with a win today but who am I to complain?

TheOldRoman
09-17-2008, 11:02 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/peter_king/03/20/mailbag/p1_gould.jpg

JB98
09-17-2008, 11:04 PM
The math gets more and more in favor of the Sox each day.

If the Sox go 6-5 in their remaining 11 games, the Twins would have to go 8-2 just to force a one-game playoff.

JohnnyInnsbrook
09-17-2008, 11:04 PM
http://www.theheckler.com/news/articlefiles/769-07-03-27-Deng.jpg

PicktoCLick72
09-17-2008, 11:06 PM
THe Love potion

Frater Perdurabo
09-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Can we please salvage the split tomorrow? And then go out and sweep the Royals?

Oh, and Go Rays!

It would be great to go into the Dump Dome with 88 wins. I really want the Sox to be able to clinch in Minnesota and not have to do it against Cleveland. I'd like for Ozzie to be able to rest Buehrle, Vazquez, Danks and Floyd against Cleveland and set up the rotation for the ALDS.

EMachine10
09-17-2008, 11:07 PM
http://www.onlinesports.com/images/frp-16581.jpg (http://www.onlinesports.com/images/frp-16581.jpg)

JohnnyInnsbrook
09-17-2008, 11:09 PM
and for good measure
fUFzr7Sovtc

thomas35forever
09-17-2008, 11:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOAthOufeIU&feature=related

nsdjoe
09-17-2008, 11:10 PM
http://www.murfandpat.com/autographs/photo/03-225.jpg

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 11:12 PM
The math gets more and more in favor of the Sox each day.

If the Sox go 6-5 in their remaining 11 games, the Twins would have to go 8-2 just to force a one-game playoff.
That is the whole beauty of this thing. It's getting closer to a mathematical impossibility for the Twins to overtake us. We have them backed into a corner. Complete the deal, Sox!

You've been slipping lately about your Trademarked phrase regarding the Twins, by the way. ;)

Lip Man 1
09-17-2008, 11:13 PM
JB:

I don't think they play the make up game with Detroit. The Sox will either win it or lose it in Minnesota.

Lip

SpartanSoxFan
09-17-2008, 11:23 PM
Anyone notice that our magic number after tonight is actually LOWER compared to the Rays' (9 compared to 10)?

OldRomanPizza
09-18-2008, 12:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZY8pePT0TA&feature=related :wink:

nsdjoe
09-18-2008, 01:11 AM
Anyone notice that our magic number after tonight is actually LOWER compared to the Rays' (9 compared to 10)?

yet, shockingly, the headline on mlb.com is "ZOMG Rays' magic number at ten!!!!!!!oneone"

TDog
09-18-2008, 01:15 AM
That is the whole beauty of this thing. It's getting closer to a mathematical impossibility for the Twins to overtake us. We have them backed into a corner. Complete the deal, Sox! ...

As much as I would like to believe that, I think back to this day in baseball history (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1964/09201964.htm), almost 44 years ago. Only the first place team in each league went to the postseason, which in those days was known as the World Series. Three weeks after this day, when the Cardinals bullpen lost and their season hopes seemed dashed -- the Cards were certainly backed into a corner -- they won the World Series.

This example, of course, involves a historic collapse. But I want to see the White Sox keep winning so that today's current events don't go down as infamous history.

Noneck
09-18-2008, 01:33 AM
As much as I would like to believe that, I think back to this day in baseball history (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1964/09201964.htm), almost 44 years ago. Only the first place team in each league went to the postseason, which in those days was known as the World Series. Three weeks after this day, when the Cardinals bullpen lost and their season hopes seemed dashed -- the Cards were certainly backed into a corner -- they won the World Series.

This example, of course, involves a historic collapse. But I want to see the White Sox keep winning so that today's current events don't go down as infamous history.

I knew a historian like you would bring this up. I do also remember this team with a young Richie Allen and the "original" Frank Thomas who came to the Phils that year late in his career which my late dad reminded me of as the "new and improved" Frank Thomas slugged his way into baseball history.

Law11
09-18-2008, 08:58 AM
Can we please salvage the split tomorrow? And then go out and sweep the Royals?

We arent sweeping KC.. We always seem to stumble against these guys and with the twins series next up the players could easily lose sight of what they need to do this weekend.

Dont be shocked we we take 1 of 3 down there. They OF COURSE are hot right now..

Unless we pile up some runs we could be in for a rough time if it comes down to our bullpen having to save a small lead..

chisoxfanatic
09-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Dont be shocked we we take 1 of 3 down there. They OF COURSE are hot right now.
That's been the story of pretty much the last month, them playing teams who were extremely hot at the time. I like that, because they'll be more prepared for Soxtober. I hope they are completely focused in tonight's last visit to Yankee Stadium for the team. I expect the Rays to take no less than two of these games against the Twins, so, if we take at least two of the next four, we'll go into the Baggie Dome with a chance of clinching on Thursday.

Lundind1
09-18-2008, 10:00 AM
As you all know, Twins losses also count towards a division title for us. That should not be your insurance plan here. I think that we just need to take care of business here, that is all.

doublem23
09-18-2008, 10:31 AM
As you all know, Twins losses also count towards a division title for us. That should not be your insurance plan here. I think that we just need to take care of business here, that is all.

I wouldn't mind it if the Twins didn't win another game this season.

chisoxfanatic
09-18-2008, 10:35 AM
I wouldn't mind it if the Twins didn't win another game this season.
You're just being shrewd and greedy now, doub. :cool:

Though, I wouldn't mind that either.

jabrch
09-18-2008, 10:37 AM
We arent sweeping KC.. We always seem to stumble against these guys and with the twins series next up the players could easily lose sight of what they need to do this weekend.

Dont be shocked we we take 1 of 3 down there. They OF COURSE are hot right now..

Well then why the **** bother?

Law11 says we can't sweep em, and we need luck to avoid losing the series.

champagne030
09-18-2008, 10:44 AM
Well then why the **** bother?

Law11 says we can't sweep em, and we need luck to avoid losing the series.

I don't see where he says we "need luck" to win the series. :scratch:

oeo
09-18-2008, 11:09 AM

Ozzie: "A lot of people worry about the Minnesota series, but we got three vs. Kansas City and they play well against us. We got to worry about Kansas City."

They'll be ready. The pitching match-ups are in our favor. We miss Greinke, who owns us in KC. 2 out of 3 should happen, a sweep could happen.

SoxyStu
09-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Ozzie: "A lot of people worry about the Minnesota series, but we got three vs. Kansas City and they play well against us. We got to worry about Kansas City."

They'll be ready. The pitching match-ups are in our favor. We miss Greinke, who owns us in KC. 2 out of 3 should happen, a sweep could happen.

Ozzie - please manage today, today.

Law11
09-18-2008, 11:51 AM
I don't see where he says we "need luck" to win the series. :scratch:

Thank You..

if we sweep them great but what have we done lately to think that we have a sweep in us with our bullpen issues.

Did i say something not true? has KC NOT given us fits?
has our bullpen been lights out?

Im just stating my opinion based on our play of late and vs KC.

I said dont be shocked if we lose 2/3 I didnt say we would...
Geez...

Chez
09-18-2008, 11:54 AM
[quote=oeo;2044321
They'll be ready. The pitching match-ups are in our favor. We miss Greinke, who owns us in KC. 2 out of 3 should happen, a sweep could happen.[/quote]

We also miss Meche who has been pretty good down the stretch.

Lundind1
09-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Biggest thing is that the Magic number is now 9 and we need to keep this train a rollin!!!

guillensdisciple
09-18-2008, 12:25 PM
The royals are hot but I don't think they should beat the Sox. I believe the sox will enter the Minnesota with a 4.5 game lead and leave minnesota with a 3.5 game lead.

If it is any other way either the Twins upset the Rays which is absolutely insane or the sox lose to the royals and then it is a shame to the sox. If the former were to happen then the Twins deserve to fight with the sox as much as the sox do, if the latter happens the Sox will not have a chance in Minnesota.

slavko
09-19-2008, 12:24 AM
This counterproductive, useless thread ought to be roadhoused immediately. It serves no purpose but to anger fate, IMO.

thomas35forever
09-19-2008, 12:38 AM
This counterproductive, useless thread ought to be roadhoused immediately. It serves no purpose but to anger fate, IMO.
Nay.

voodoochile
09-19-2008, 12:57 AM

Maybe we should blow up a goat and serve it in pasta while burning Steve Bartman in effigy to improve our chances of winning the WS this year...

assrevolution
09-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Without looking at the schedule, the last road sweep (and maybe only road sweep) I can remember was in San Francisco (in May). 2 of 3 is what we should be shooting for here. If Minnesota wins 3 of 4 in TB then they deserve to have the season come down to the head to head matchup.

TDog
09-19-2008, 04:04 PM
Without looking at the schedule, the last road sweep (and maybe only road sweep) I can remember was in San Francisco (in May). 2 of 3 is what we should be shooting for here. If Minnesota wins 3 of 4 in TB then they deserve to have the season come down to the head to head matchup.

I was there for the San Francisco sweep, and that indeed was sweet. I believe it indeed was the last road sweep for the Sox. Early in the year, though, Sox swept the Tigers in Detroit, so there was at least one other. If memory serves, the Sox also have taken two out of three in Detroit, St. Petersburg, Seattle, Cleveland, the real Los Angeles, Kansas City and Oakland.

Sockinchisox
09-19-2008, 10:08 PM
8!

cbone
09-19-2008, 10:10 PM
Twins looked awful. Cmon Sox!!!!

oeo
09-19-2008, 10:11 PM
http://mlbnation.net/forums/uploads/IMG2571-1207018436.jpg

chisoxfanatic
09-19-2008, 10:11 PM
http://www.sportsmemorabilia.com/files/cache/charles-johnson-chicago-white-sox-8x10-photo_8eb732352dd19bf0f21d04dc67cb5d29.jpg

doublem23
09-19-2008, 10:27 PM
:moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk:

sox1970
09-19-2008, 10:50 PM
:gulp::gulp::gulp:

:gulp::gulp::gulp:

FielderJones
7!

Sockinchisox

chisoxfanatic
09-19-2008, 10:51 PM
In honor of my favorite current athlete:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/02/18/seabrook_brent_getty_400.jpg

Viva Medias B's
09-19-2008, 10:53 PM
¡Siete!

oeo
09-19-2008, 10:55 PM
In honor of my favorite current athlete:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/02/18/seabrook_brent_getty_400.jpg

In honor of mine:
http://msn.foxsports.com/fe/img/MLB/Headshots/140x170/7846.jpg

MisterB
09-19-2008, 10:59 PM
http://www.best-horror-movies.com/image-files/se7en-horror-movie-poster.jpg

SoxFan78
09-19-2008, 11:00 PM
http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/photo/1999/january/14/a_elway.jpg

oeo
09-19-2008, 11:01 PM
http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/photo/1999/january/14/a_elway.jpg

Wishing someone was a Chicago athlete doesn't count.

sachin
09-19-2008, 11:17 PM
http://www.newfaces.com/blog/uploaded_images/seven-jeans-704554.jpg

doublem23
09-19-2008, 11:24 PM
:moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk:

DoItForDanPasqua
09-19-2008, 11:25 PM
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:avjSGobuUS1uIM:http://blog.creativethink.com/images/2007/10/23/seven_fingered_hand.gif

BigP50
09-19-2008, 11:26 PM
I love it!

keep hittin' the s*** out of the ball boys

Mod Edit: and again, just type the ****ing word and let the censor do it's ****ing job please...

DoItForDanPasqua
09-19-2008, 11:29 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2049/2463893457_d5d068e8b9.jpg?v=0

chisoxfanatic
09-19-2008, 11:29 PM
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:avjSGobuUS1uIM:http://blog.creativethink.com/images/2007/10/23/seven_fingered_hand.gif
If the Rays win tomorrow afternoon, we can put up a photo of Antonio Alfonseca's hand. :P

jabrch
09-19-2008, 11:32 PM
http://www.theclayshoppe.com/snow_white_with_the_seven_dwarfs__ALB__00603.jpg

doublem23
09-19-2008, 11:45 PM
:rolling:

Great thread, or greatest thread?

ChiSoxGirl
09-19-2008, 11:48 PM
If the Rays win tomorrow afternoon, we can put up a photo of Antonio Alfonseca's hand. :P

Or his foot! :redneck

nasox
09-19-2008, 11:51 PM
bmac

stl_sox_fan
09-19-2008, 11:52 PM
http://www.freewebs.com/dan_dan_dan/george_costanza003.jpg + http://gallery.hd.org/_tn/std/baby/_more2005/_more12/newborn-baby-girl-three-3-days-old-on-changing-mat-slight-jaundice-closeup-1-DHD.jpg

I know......it's a stretch.....

scarsofthumper
09-19-2008, 11:54 PM
http://www.freewebs.com/dan_dan_dan/george_costanza003.jpg + http://gallery.hd.org/_tn/std/baby/_more2005/_more12/newborn-baby-girl-three-3-days-old-on-changing-mat-slight-jaundice-closeup-1-DHD.jpg

I know......it's a stretch.....http://www.legaljuice.com/Soda.jpg

thomas35forever
09-20-2008, 12:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcSICvQsxLc

DC Sox Fan
09-20-2008, 12:09 AM
http://bp3.blogger.com/_fk0k5hB5NB8/Rp4g4TIuIPI/AAAAAAAAAKk/oV9dB4N_ZHA/s320/grits_n_gravy5.jpg
"seven... SEVEN... SEVEN!!!! What y'all know about seven??!?!"

whitesox901
09-20-2008, 12:59 AM
Lucly #7

IronFisk
09-20-2008, 02:16 AM
http://www.noquartergiven.net/images/Pirates7.jpg

Okay, this involves some thinking...:scratch:

Chisox353014
09-20-2008, 02:28 AM
http://www.usasoda.com/images/rcfbchi7.JPG

Foulke You
09-20-2008, 02:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcSICvQsxLc
Keep the vintage Sesame Street coming Thomas. I shall look forward to zero!

TheOldRoman
09-20-2008, 11:51 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2005/06/26/qfWgqrP3.jpg

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/tom_layberger/06/01/cup.droughts/tx.chelios.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/09z1biPdcJ3g2/340x.jpg

Hopefully we end today with a Juan Uribe sighting in this thread. I don't know who 6 would be.

Sockinchisox
09-20-2008, 07:22 PM
6!

skobabe8
09-20-2008, 07:23 PM
http://www.uga.edu/gm/302/images/door10.jpg

DoItForDanPasqua
http://kevincherry.art.googlepages.com/collage6.jpg

TheOldRoman
http://www.myqlu.com/images/celebrity/43bb98c2-bb29-41ef-848d-baef4e7c61d1.jpg

http://www.dailyherald.com/special/bulls98/collage.gif

BringBackBlkJack
09-20-2008, 07:24 PM
http://www.freefoto.com/images/2000/06/2000_06_51---Number-Six_web.jpg

Let's make it 5 tonight!!!!

chisoxfanatic
09-20-2008, 07:24 PM
Thanks again, Tampa!
http://homerderby.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/el-pulpo-big.jpg

illini81887
09-20-2008, 07:25 PM
This # has gone down from 16 to 6 in 6days. Very nice

OldRomanPizza
09-20-2008, 08:49 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38795000/jpg/_38795439_jordanbullap298.jpg

BigP50
09-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Nt

MetroPD
09-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Don't you just love counting on other teams losing instead of your own team winning? Sucks.

guillensdisciple
09-20-2008, 09:05 PM
Don't you just love counting on other teams losing instead of your own team winning? Sucks.

That is not baseball.

thomas35forever
09-20-2008, 09:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFCRTxsZlio

doublem23
09-20-2008, 09:26 PM

Whatever works, baby.

Now we're picky about winning? Oh me oh my.

doublem23
09-20-2008, 09:26 PM
:moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk:

anewman35
09-20-2008, 09:28 PM

Because the White Sox haven't won a game in weeks and we are sitting here hoping the Twins lose, right?

MetroPD
09-20-2008, 09:45 PM
Whatever works, baby.

Now we're picky about winning? Oh me oh my.
Because the White Sox haven't won a game in weeks and we are sitting here hoping the Twins lose, right?

Oh I'm sorry I thought this game was about trying to win. You guys are right, I guess I should be satisfied and happy we're 4-6 over the last 10.

anewman35
09-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Oh I'm sorry I thought this game was about trying to win. You guys are right, I guess I should be satisfied and happy we're 4-6 over the last 10.

Should you be happy because we're 4-6 over the last 10? No. But you should be happy that over that stretch we gained a game, because the Twins are 3-7. Sure, wins are more fun, but the end result is what matters.

doublem23
09-20-2008, 10:14 PM

Still in first place? Check.

Does anything else really matter? Nope.

Is doub right and are you wrong? For sho.

BigP50
09-20-2008, 10:24 PM
I'm really happy the magic # keeps going down but when we lose AND the Twins lose that pain over takes the happiness from the magic #

guillensdisciple
09-20-2008, 10:34 PM

Woo he is right, we don't watch baseball for the product on the field. Most or my baseball time is spent looking at the standing and so far it has saved me a lot of money and the Chicago in the central has been in the top spot the whole time.

That standings board is so much more interesting and important then the product on the field.

*sarcasm*

If you enjoy watching this you probably enjoy many disturbing things. If they make the playoffs and win then I won't care but now I need signs of life.

anewman35
09-20-2008, 10:39 PM
If you enjoy watching this you probably enjoy many disturbing things. If they make the playoffs and win then I won't care but now I need signs of life.

Which would you rather see: winning a horrible division with 82 wins or getting 95 wins and finishing out of the playoffs?

FarWestChicago
09-20-2008, 10:39 PM
If they make the playoffs and win then I won't care but now I need signs of life.Do not look in a mirror.