PDA

View Full Version : Bourgeois up

sox1970
09-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Charlie Haeger DFA.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080906&content_id=3428475&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

BleacherBandit
09-06-2008, 05:44 PM
Band aid player?

He was hitting better than Jerry Owens, which prompts me to ask why we didnt consider him before.

sox1970
09-06-2008, 05:46 PM
Band aid player?

You need a potential pinch runner for Konerko, Thome, Griffey, etc. Since they're all playing, I guess one more guy that can run won't hurt.

Crowded clubhouse. I think that's 34 players.

Brian26
09-06-2008, 06:08 PM
I guarantee Ozzie gives him two starts in CF by next weekend.

cws05champ
09-06-2008, 06:09 PM
You need a potential pinch runner for Konerko, Thome, Griffey, etc. Since they're all playing, I guess one more guy that can run won't hurt.

Crowded clubhouse. I think that's 34 players.
35 on the active roster now. I don't understand whay they didn't do this before?

kittle42
09-06-2008, 06:48 PM
Thank heavens Haeger is gone!!!

thomas35forever
09-06-2008, 07:04 PM
As David Spade would say to Haeger, buh-bye.

Noneck
09-06-2008, 07:08 PM
35 on the active roster now. I don't understand whay they didn't do this before?

Maybe because its costs money to carry this many players?

ChiSoxFan7
09-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Maybe because its costs money to carry this many players?

in the end tho doesn't the team end up paying as long as the player is in the organization?

BleacherBandit
09-06-2008, 07:58 PM
I wonder if they're paying him a salary fit for the bourgeois.....

Frater Perdurabo
09-06-2008, 09:18 PM
I wonder if they're paying him a salary fit for the bourgeois.....

Nah, he's part of the baseball proletariat. :D:

09-06-2008, 10:15 PM
The only thing I find odd about this is they didn't designate Dewon Day for assignment or just move Donny Lucy to the 60 day DL. Both would've been better than DFA Haegar. Unless they decided to give Charlie a head start on finding a new organization for 2009.

chisoxmike
09-06-2008, 10:15 PM

:gulp:

champagne030
09-06-2008, 10:48 PM

Yet, Jerry ****ing Owens is playing in games that mean something.....

doublem23
09-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Yet, Jerry ****ing Owens is playing in games that mean something.....

Owens has at least 1 skill that can contribute to a winning team, and a skill that we are still sorely lacking in.

Charlie Haeger would make a nice BP coach, but he'd probably have to take a pay cut.

chisoxmike
09-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Owens has at least 1 skill that can contribute to a winning team, and a skill that we are still sorely lacking in.

And yet, he wasn't even in the game for a minute tonight and had a **** up in the 9th on the basepads getting thrown out 2nd.

He sucks.

doublem23
09-06-2008, 11:16 PM
And yet, he wasn't even in the game for a minute tonight and had a **** up in the 9th on the basepads getting thrown out 2nd.

He sucks.

Hey, I'm not saying he doesn't suck, but this team is still in desperate need of speed. He had a nice SB later in the game to partially make up for the mistake, but yeah, I have no idea what he was thinking. This ain't Charlotte, Owens! That ball's gonna get cut off, you douche!

He's still more valuable than Haeger.

Noneck
09-06-2008, 11:45 PM
I'm kinda bummed about Haeger, I was hoping for another Hoyt Wilhelm, Wilbur Wood or Eddie Fisher. I loved those guys and their amazing medicine shows.

pistolesatdawn
09-07-2008, 12:06 AM

He sucks.

Agreed, that was awful.

:scratch:

Paulwny
09-07-2008, 10:38 AM
in the end tho doesn't the team end up paying as long as the player is in the organization?

It depends, I don't know the salary of the called-up players, but when they are called- up they earn the ML minimum salary, usually it's an increase from what they were earning in the minors.

Noneck
09-07-2008, 10:41 AM
It depends, I don't know the salary of the called-up players, but when they are called- up they earn the ML minimum salary, usually it's an increase from what they were earning in the minors.

And there is meal money, away hotel accommodations and probably other perks.

Rounding_Third
09-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Hey, I'm not saying he doesn't suck, but this team is still in desperate need of speed. He had a nice SB later in the game to partially make up for the mistake, but yeah, I have no idea what he was thinking. This ain't Charlotte, Owens! That ball's gonna get cut off, you douche!

He's still more valuable than Haeger.

He was lucky the throw was bad, he would have been out. Got a terrible jump. Also, his steal success was only at 70% in Charlotte; not very good, particularly in AAA.

Rounding_Third
09-07-2008, 11:11 AM
I guarantee Ozzie gives him two starts in CF by next weekend.

He was a LF'er in Charlotte. May get a start there today with long game last night and lefty Saunders going for LA.

soxinem1
09-07-2008, 11:19 AM

Is that skill tagging up at 1B to go to 2B in a game where you have the games premier closer on the mound, on the ropes, and get thrown out by 40 ft.?:rolleyes:

Milw
09-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Anyone else amused by this line in the press release?

Bourgeois (pronounced "Boo-geois")

I mean, if you don't already know how to pronounce it, then you still have no idea what "geois" is supposed to sound like ... :?:

veeter
09-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Anyone else amused by this line in the press release?

I mean, if you don't already know how to pronounce it, then you still have no idea what "geois" is supposed to sound like ... :?:That's funny. This guy was really good in spring training. He's very pesky.

DrCrawdad
09-08-2008, 07:19 PM
I'm kinda bummed about Haeger, I was hoping for another Hoyt Wilhelm, Wilbur Wood or Eddie Fisher. I loved those guys and their amazing medicine shows.

IIRC Haeger had a good season or two in AAA but then the last couple years has been mediocre at best.

I am with you though. I was really hoping he'd do well for the Sox.

soxfanreggie
09-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Best of luck to him in the future. Hope he doesn't miraculously "find it" and turn into Tim Wakefield.

wcw2323
09-09-2008, 06:28 AM
"Hope he doesn't miraculously "find it" and turn into Tim Wakefield"......Now that's a real positive thing to say about the kid!

He will be selected off the waiver wire, or sign as a free agent with another club. He certainly didn't get a fair shake with the Sox, especially when compared to the long leashes provided to Floyd and others. Charlie was given one start...his debut @ 22 years old. The other times he pitched was as a reliefer...very difficult for a knuckler. His ERA with the Sox was 4.58, so not so bad when compared to other pitchers with the club. He outpitched Broadway all year in Charlotte and the Sox chose to promote Broadway! He had a few difficult outings, but also had a few stellar performances over the last few years.
Does anybody on this site remember his performance against Seattle in 2006 during a rain delayed game? Charlie pitched outstanding. He was in the game before the rain delay and then came back and was lights out allowing the Sox to rally for the win. Not too many guys on this team could have done that......

I hope he catches on with another team and gets the chance to start. He may come back to haunt the Sox........They threw in the towel way too soon!

09-09-2008, 08:16 AM
"Hope he doesn't miraculously "find it" and turn into Tim Wakefield"......Now that's a real positive thing to say about the kid!

He will be selected off the waiver wire, or sign as a free agent with another club. He certainly didn't get a fair shake with the Sox, especially when compared to the long leashes provided to Floyd and others. Charlie was given one start...his debut @ 22 years old. The other times he pitched was as a reliefer...very difficult for a knuckler. His ERA with the Sox was 4.58, so not so bad when compared to other pitchers with the club. He outpitched Broadway all year in Charlotte and the Sox chose to promote Broadway! He had a few difficult outings, but also had a few stellar performances over the last few years.
Does anybody on this site remember his performance against Seattle in 2006 during a rain delayed game? Charlie pitched outstanding. He was in the game before the rain delay and then came back and was lights out allowing the Sox to rally for the win. Not too many guys on this team could have done that......

I hope he catches on with another team and gets the chance to start. He may come back to haunt the Sox........They threw in the towel way too soon!

I have nothing against Charlie Haegar but I get a big kick out of how there's always an apologist who surfaces when their favorite minor leaguer gets launched.

Let's see, the White Sox didn't give Charlie a fair shake. Hmmm. It was the White Sox who took him back after he quit to become a golf pro. It was the White Sox who worked with him and ultimately put him on the 40 man roster, and it was the White Sox who gave him a taste of the big leagues.

Let's face it, Charlie was not that good this year. He walks an average of almost 4 guys per nine innings. Guillen hates that, as well he should. It's easy to run on him and the Sox catchers have a hard enough time as it is.

One thing the White Sox like to do with prospects who are blocked - they let them go so they can find a home elsewhere. Charlie's fans should be thanking the Sox for cutting him loose if they think he's going to be the next Wakefield.

doublem23
09-09-2008, 08:33 AM
Is that skill tagging up at 1B to go to 2B in a game where you have the games premier closer on the mound, on the ropes, and get thrown out by 40 ft.?:rolleyes:

Yes, that's exactly what I was referring to.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

He's got, by far, the best SB/G ratio on the team... Owens' 50 SB per 162 G is the best on the team. #2: Orlando Cabrera with 19.