PDA

View Full Version : Cub fans chirping a bit much for ya?

StillMissOzzie
09-06-2008, 12:38 PM
If so, maybe this will give them a moment of pause:

9/ 6/2008 Cubs 85 - 56 +4.0 (not counting tonight's game...yet)
9/ 6/1969 Cubs 84 - 55 +3.5

They have won nothing yet!

SMO
:gulp:

sox1970
09-06-2008, 12:41 PM
The Cubs have an 8 game on the Phillies with 21 left. Don't be ridiculous.

pmck003
09-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Yeah, unfortunately the wild card skews the comparison . This article may help: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Lou-Piniella-sets-out-for-Cincinnati-ends-up-ne?urn=mlb,105902

MarySwiss
09-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Okay, so the Cubs will almot certainly make the playoffs. They made them last year, too, and look what happened.

SMO is correct; they haven't won a thing yet. And bringing up 1969 usually has at least a muting effect on the chirpers.

hi im skot
09-06-2008, 01:37 PM
No one's been chirping during this current slide.

:shrug:

kittle42
09-06-2008, 01:37 PM
I just hope AZ ousts them in the NLDS.

TDog
09-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Okay, so the Cubs will almot certainly make the playoffs. They made them last year, too, and look what happened.

SMO is correct; they haven't won a thing yet. And bringing up 1969 usually has at least a muting effect on the chirpers.

I remember 1969 well. Of course the Sox were dismal. Carlos May was the bright spot, and he lost a thumb to a mortar round in August (not an offiicial casualty of the Vietnam War, but ... I digress). All summer long there Cub Power buttons and if you were a kid and a White Sox fan, you were in for some grief. When they fell, they fell hard.

Younger fans like to say that the Cubs didn't collapse so much as the Mets won, that 92 wins should have been enough to make the playoffs. As if losing about two out of every three games in September isn't a collapse. It was the first year of divisional play. The Cardinals had won 97 in 1968 and 101 in 1967. Nobody believed going into the season that 92 wins would be enough to win the NL East, and it wasn't. Having the third-best record in the league might be good enough today, but in 1972 the White Sox had the third-best record in all of baseball and didn't go to the postseason. How could any Sox fan have sympathy?

The fact is, today the wild card is there to catch first place teams falling into oblivion. The Detroit Tigers aren't remembered for their historic collapse in 2006. They are remembered for going to the World Series.

Until the last Cubs hitter weakly pops out, grounds out or goes down swining, it will be the year of the Cub.

Brian26
09-06-2008, 02:02 PM
A slide at this time of the year is nothing but a good thing for them. They're a lock for the playoffs, but now they can go through some "challenging times" and "find out what they're really made of". It's a ripoff of the '05 Sox saga with the 1.5 game lead over Cleveland, even though its all imaginary drama.

LoveYourSuit
09-06-2008, 02:15 PM
From what I recall, the Tigers blew a substantial lead in 2006 and backed into the WC with the Twins winning the Divsion. The Tigers made it to the World Series that year.

Just get in is the name of the game.

Don't forget, we almost backed into the WC in 2005 too.

MarySwiss
09-06-2008, 02:17 PM
I remember 1969 well. Of course the Sox were dismal. Carlos May was the bright spot, and he lost a thumb to a mortar round in August (not an offiicial casualty of the Vietnam War, but ... I digress). All summer long there Cub Power buttons and if you were a kid and a White Sox fan, you were in for some grief. When they fell, they fell hard.

Talk about chirping!!! My brother and I were in high school on the North Side, and if there were any other Sox fans there, they were keeping pretty quiet. That was the summer from hell...then September rolled around... :smile:

soxpride724
09-06-2008, 02:27 PM
I haven't heard much with this whole six game losing streak and all. It's been kind of nice not seeing all the "W" flags in the neighborhood.

CHISOXFAN13
09-06-2008, 02:28 PM

Someone better tell the DBacks to beat LA first.

DumpJerry
09-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Cub fans are chirping? Have you listened to talk radio here? Cub fans are torn between fast-acting poison, head in the oven or jumping off a 200 foot cliff.

soxpride724
09-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Cub fans are chirping? Have you listened to talk radio here? Cub fans are torn between fast-acting poison, head in the oven or jumping off a 200 foot cliff.

Oh I know, my Cub fan buddy texted me last night after the loss and stated that it was all over.:rolleyes:

thomas35forever
09-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Oh I know, my Cub fan buddy texted me last night after the loss and stated that it was all over.:rolleyes:
One of the Score's producers who's a Cubs fan told me last night to stick a fork in his team because they're "done."

soxpride724
09-06-2008, 02:34 PM
With the talent the Cubs have and the lack of talent the rest of the N.L has they will still make the playoffs. They will most likely do a repeat of last year though.

1908<2005
09-06-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm concerned about the Cubs getting cold now rather than in October. They are getting all the losing out of their system now. :angry:

soxpride724
09-06-2008, 02:43 PM
I'm concerned about the Cubs getting cold now rather than in October. They are getting all the losing out of their system now. :angry:

Don't worry, it will go to their heads because they are still the Cubs, I think sometimes they expect to lose.

TDog
09-06-2008, 03:05 PM
A slide at this time of the year is nothing but a good thing for them. They're a lock for the playoffs, but now they can go through some "challenging times" and "find out what they're really made of". It's a ripoff of the '05 Sox saga with the 1.5 game lead over Cleveland, even though its all imaginary drama.

Things got challenging for the 1964 Phillies on Sept. 20, when they had a 6.5 game lead with just 12 games left in the season -- so challenging that they ended up finishing behind the Cardinals and tied with the Reds.

Some teams recover from September slides. More teams don't. Even in the age of dilluted four-team league playoffs, teams sometimes forget how to win. Only in retrospect for teams like the 2005 White Sox do September slides seem like a good thing.

gosox41
09-06-2008, 03:10 PM

Agreed. Every team will go through down periods, and the Cubs are hitting one of theirs the first week of Sept. They also had one right after the All Star break.

It's unfortunatem, but barring any major injury, the Cubs will still make the playoffs and will still be playing pathetially weak NL opponents in the playoffs.

Bob

slavko
09-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Seeing all those Cubbie Fan shots in the stands at CIN as they were getting waxed 10-2 in a listless performance Friday night (and the TV wouldn't stop showing them) of forlorn and dejected faces practically crying "Why did we drive to Cincinnati to see this?" made me feel warm all over. They really think it is all over, verified by statements made to me by golf buddies. We at WSI know they're going to the playoffs as evidenced by the posts above. They are, aren't they?

manders_01
09-06-2008, 06:47 PM

Someone better tell the DBacks to beat LA first.

With LA's win to move into first, the D-Backs are 6th in line for the WC.

jabrch
09-06-2008, 09:35 PM
My friends who are Cubs fans are very scared right now - odd given their commanding lead for a playoff spot...

EuroSox35
09-06-2008, 10:29 PM
The Brewers are lame, during the 6 game losing streak they gained a half a game, and they almost blew that game last night (which means they would've lost half). There's no reason they shouldn't be leading that division right now, and at very worst, be 2 games back

Lucky Flubs get to miss Volquez

guillensdisciple
09-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Don't really care about the cubs, unless we meet them in the series we won't play them again during the year. So let them either win or lose whatever they are going for because it shouldn't matter to the sox.

We have our own path to travel.

doublem23
09-06-2008, 11:13 PM
No one's been chirping during this current slide.

:shrug:

I was at a party tonight and the Sox game was on the TV and some d-bag kept yelling, "hey we want to watch the real baseball team in town!"

Let 'em ****in' talk, their tears of sorrow will be ever so delicious.

RadioheadRocks
09-06-2008, 11:23 PM
I was at a party tonight and the Sox game was on the TV and some d-bag kept yelling, "hey we want to watch the real baseball team in town!"

"But you ARE watching the REAL baseball team in town, Blanche... you ARE!!!" :roflmao:

LoveYourSuit
09-07-2008, 12:10 AM

Reminds me of a scum bag in my bowling league who got there after me, I had already "claimed" the TV under my table by my lane with the Sox game and he had the nerve to start grabbing a chair to climb and change the channel by hand.

I told him, you change that channel and I will break your hand. He looked it at me and said "sorry, I did not realize you were watching." I replied, "No, I am just dressed in a Sox shirt and Sox hat because of style and in hopes of starring in the next Dr Dre and Eazy E video."

DumpJerry
09-07-2008, 08:00 AM
Reminds me of a scum bag in my bowling league who got there after me, I had already "claimed" the TV under my table by my lane with the Sox game and he had the nerve to start grabbing a chair to climb and change the channel by hand.

I told him, you change that channel and I will break your hand. He looked it at me and said "sorry, I did not realize you were watching." I replied, "No, I am just dressed in a Sox shirt and Sox hat because of style and in hopes of starring in the next Dr Dre and Eazy E video."
You were dressed in Sox clothing so you would be the one the girls talk to.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-07-2008, 09:29 AM
I go to pick up my car at a garage and one of the runners (who has noticed the 2005 WS Champs sticker) starts in with me -- no problem normally, I don't engage, just toss off something good-natured as I'm getting in my car and driving away -- but this guy is actually laughing and chirping over Quentin's injury. Stay classy, Flubs fans.

soxpride724
09-07-2008, 09:46 AM
I go to pick up my car at a garage and one of the runners (who has noticed the 2005 WS Champs sticker) starts in with me -- no problem normally, I don't engage, just toss off something good-natured as I'm getting in my car and driving away -- but this guy is actually laughing and chirping over Quentin's injury. Stay classy, Flubs fans.

A cub fan laughing over another teams injury?

Man where do I begin....

AnkleSox
09-07-2008, 11:39 AM
You were dressed in Sox clothing so you would be the one the girls talk to.

Well, at least the girls that actually have something on their mind other than glitter and feathers.

turners56
09-07-2008, 11:48 AM

What else is new?

Andy T Clown
09-07-2008, 03:57 PM
A cub fan in my office started singing na na hey hey goodbye after he heard about Q. :angry:
I told him I will be singing that song to him in the first week of October.

Frontman
09-07-2008, 04:09 PM
They've been pretty quiet at the office. They're more nervous than us about the Cubs blowing it.

OldRomanPizza
09-07-2008, 11:52 PM
My mom is a wreck. I don't think she understands the concept of a Wild Card, or that Milwaukee completely blows every chance the Cubs give them. Then there is the 69 84 03 paranoia. I guess its understandable.

vegyrex
09-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Chirping is part of cubdum. :smile:

RadioheadRocks
09-10-2008, 03:07 AM
My smoke detector chirping is a bit much for me.