PDA

View Full Version : TWO Teams for ONE slot in AL

Fenway
09-06-2008, 01:34 AM
I start this thread on the premise that the WC is now certain to be either Boston or Tampa.

I now believe the White Sox dreams of October will be decided not in Minneapolis but in The Bronx. The Yankees by losing in Seattle tonight are just too far behind (8) in the WC to even think they can pull off a miracle.

The White Sox may well see Scranton pitching when they go to NY while the Twins will face a Tampa team fighting for a division crown.

Boston not only smells winning the east but now best record. Beckett looked fine tonight and Mike Lowell came off the DL strong.

Right now I think everything favors the White Sox to win the Central .

DumpJerry
09-06-2008, 01:43 AM
The Red Sox won the World Series last year. Do I have to remind everyone that the three previous times the Red Sox won the World Series, the White Sox went to the Fall Classic the following year? The only time we lost the Fall Classic a year after the Red Sox winning it was in 1919 and we all know what happened then......

thomas35forever
09-06-2008, 01:50 AM
I start this thread on the premise that the WC is now certain to be either Boston or Tampa.

I now believe the White Sox dreams of October will be decided not in Minneapolis but in The Bronx. The Yankees by losing in Seattle tonight are just too far behind (8) in the WC to even think they can pull off a miracle.

The White Sox may well see Scranton pitching when they go to NY while the Twins will face a Tampa team fighting for a division crown.

Boston not only smells winning the east but now best record. Beckett looked fine tonight and Mike Lowell came off the DL strong.

Right now I think everything favors the White Sox to win the Central .
I like your thinking, Fens. Let's pray you're right on the money and everything falls into place like you said.:thumbsup:

StillMissOzzie
09-06-2008, 02:16 AM

It's getting hard to refute that, Fens. Whether the Red Sox take the AL East or not, I think the chances of the WC coming out of the AL Central have gone up in smoke.

The Red Sox won the World Series last year. Do I have to remind everyone that the three previous times the Red Sox won the World Series, the White Sox went to the Fall Classic the following year? The only time we lost the Fall Classic a year after the Red Sox winning it was in 1919 and we all know what happened then......

I like the cut of your jib!

I like your thinking, Fens. Let's pray you're right on the money and everything falls into place like you said.:thumbsup:

That's right, Fenway and Dump can both be Nostradami here! Let Boston make the post-season, while the White Sox forge on to become the AL standard-bearer.

SMO
:bandance::gulp:

Rockabilly
09-06-2008, 02:27 AM
White Sox will clinched the central on the 26th

Fenway
09-06-2008, 11:39 AM

The race for best record and home field for the entire playoffs is really heating up now and Boston smells that as well. Boston wound up winning the pennant last year by having home field over Cleveland in a tie-breaker. Anaheim looks like they are sleep walking into October and history has not been kind to teams that won divisions by double digits.

Some pundits think Joe Nathan is out of gas as he blew 3 saves on the Twins 14 game trip and if that is the case the Twins are in trouble.

I do believe that once Scranton finishes the AAA playoffs the Yankees will let the kids play to see what they have. They are now 8 behind Boston so the white flag will be coming soon. The downside for the White Sox will be not having any scouting or video on the players from Scranton and it is always dangerous facing hungry AAA players looking to make the show.

It will be a crazy 3 weeks.

Billy Ashley
09-06-2008, 11:52 AM
The race for best record and home field for the entire playoffs is really heating up now and Boston smells that as well. Boston wound up winning the pennant last year by having home field over Cleveland in a tie-breaker. Anaheim looks like they are sleep walking into October and history has not been kind to teams that won divisions by double digits.

Some pundits think Joe Nathan is out of gas as he blew 3 saves on the Twins 14 game trip and if that is the case the Twins are in trouble.

I do believe that once Scranton finishes the AAA playoffs the Yankees will let the kids play to see what they have. They are now 8 behind Boston so the white flag will be coming soon. The downside for the White Sox will be not having any scouting or video on the players from Scranton and it is always dangerous facing hungry AAA players looking to make the show.

It will be a crazy 3 weeks.

Oh they have advanced scouts in the minors, every team does.

It might be problematic for batters to face guys they've never seen before though. Video reports, written reports and so on can do a lot to prepare a person but I'd imagine it's always odd seeing someone for the first time.

khan
09-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Oh they have advanced scouts in the minors, every team does.

It might be problematic for batters to face guys they've never seen before though. Video reports, written reports and so on can do a lot to prepare a person but I'd imagine it's always odd seeing someone for the first time.

[This isn't directed at the poster, but at the Sox.]

I am SO doggone sick of this BS. I don't give a DAMN who they are, this "We've never seen this pitcher before" is stupid. I'm sick of Hall of Famers like Thome and Griffey getting their @sses handed to them by nondescript minor leaguers. I'm tired of Konerko watching a 82 mph fastball go right down the middle for strike three, JUST BECAUSE HE'S NEVER SEEN THE DAMN PITCHER BEFORE!!!!

This is a copout, and losers' talk. Major league talents like Konerko, Thome, Dye, et. al should CRUSH and PUNISH nondescript minor leaguers. Period. Ozzie shouldn't accept this loser's approach to pitchers they've never seen before. Its stupid, its weak, and its a lame excuse.

In every other arena of sport, business, or even warfare, veterans typically RELISH the opportunity to PUNISH, CRUSH, RUIN, KILL, and DESTROY rookies and enemies "they've never seen before." Only the F***kcing White Sox pV$sy out by whining about "pitchers they've never seen before."

I'm sick of this. CRUSH THEM, don't fear them like cowards. Our hitters should look to end the careers of pitchers they've never seen before. Period. There should be a FIGHT TO THE DEATH to get to the bat rack. Instead, we have to watch Sox's typical responses to facing "Pitchers we've never seen before": Slumping body language, shaking your head, arguing with the ump, watching hanging curveballs go by, swinging at balls in the dirt, watching an 82 MPH fastball go right down the middle, or otherwise showing the world that a minor leaguer has cut the SOX's B@LLS off.

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:: angry::angry::angry:

Gosh, darn it!

[OK, I'm done. Thanks for letting me get that off my mind. ]

Billy Ashley
09-06-2008, 12:43 PM
I agree with you, it is annoying. But I can assure you, lots of fan bases feel the same way as you do from time to time. It happens a lot.

Fenway
09-06-2008, 12:54 PM
This situation is not unique to the White Sox as Boston has an awful record against pitchers they don't have video of.

We saw it last week when Michael Bowden kept the White Sox off balance even though he looked very hittable. That is the nature of baseball in the final month of the regular season.

[This isn't directed at the poster, but at the Sox.]

I am SO Mod edit: do not evade the language filter. Just type out the word sick of this BS. I don't give a DAMN who they are, this "We've never seen this pitcher before" is stupid. I'm sick of Hall of Famers like Thome and Griffey getting their @sses handed to them by nondescript minor leaguers. I'm tired of Konerko watching a 82 mph fastball go right down the middle for strike three, JUST BECAUSE HE'S NEVER SEEN THE DAMN PITCHER BEFORE!!!!

This is a copout, and losers' talk. Major league talents like Konerko, Thome, Dye, et. al should CRUSH and PUNISH nondescript minor leaguers. Period. Ozzie shouldn't accept this loser's approach to pitchers they've never seen before. Its stupid, its weak, and its a lame excuse.

In every other arena of sport, business, or even warfare, veterans typically RELISH the opportunity to PUNISH, CRUSH, RUIN, KILL, and DESTROY rookies and enemies "they've never seen before." Only the F***kcing White Sox pV$sy out by whining about "pitchers they've never seen before."

I'm sick of this. CRUSH THEM, don't fear them like cowards. Our hitters should look to end the careers of pitchers they've never seen before. Period. There should be a FIGHT TO THE DEATH to get to the bat rack. Instead, we have to watch Sox's typical responses to facing [whine like a girl]"Pitchers we've never seen before[/whine like a girl]: Slumping body language, shaking your head, arguing with the ump, watching hanging curveballs go by, swinging at balls in the dirt, watching an 82 MPH fastball go right down the middle, or otherwise showing the world that a minor leaguer has cut the SOX's B@LLS off.

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:: angry::angry::angry:

[OK, I'm done. Thanks for letting me get that off my mind. ]

BNLSox
09-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Isn't it a little early to declare the Red Sox and Rays both in the playoffs? They play each other 6 times in the upcoming weeks which means no matter what they both can't win those days. I agree that if the Twinks and our Sox keep playing the way they've been playing the past couple weeks the wildcard will be in the AL East, but I think the wild card is far from being locked up as a result of those upcoming head to head games.

Looking at Tampa's remaining schedule its going to take a lot for them to not lose major ground and possibly cough up both the division and then the WC:

2 @ Tor
3 @ Bos
3 @ NYY
3 Bos
4 Min
4 @ Bal
4 @ Det

Major gut check time with that schedule.

It is still 4 teams for 3 spots for sure!

sox1970
09-06-2008, 01:38 PM

Coolstandings has it at 2.6% for the wildcard to come from the Central.

Lightning struck last year with the Rockies. It's not going to happen again. Besides, we need the Rays to beat the Twins. So let's just win the division and play whomever on Oct. 1.

balke
09-06-2008, 02:31 PM
I am close to believing the premise here myself, but I'm going to wait til the 12th or so to see if there's still that 4 game difference. If there is, I'll concede the wild card to the East. Until that time, I give Minny and the Sox just as good a shot as Boston.

TDog
09-06-2008, 03:53 PM
This situation is not unique to the White Sox as Boston has an awful record against pitchers they don't have video of.

We saw it last week when Michael Bowden kept the White Sox off balance even though he looked very hittable. That is the nature of baseball in the final month of the regular season.

The situation isn't unique to the White Sox. It isn't even a trend with the White Sox. The White Sox usually beat pitchers they have never faced. But fans don't whine and moan about beating Luke Hochevar. (I recall, though, that some people complained that the Sox should have beaten up on Hochevar even worse than they did.) They might have beaten Bowden if they had any pitching on their side the day he pitched.

Of course, Mosely doesn't count as a pitcher the White Sox have never faced before. Last year he came into a game for his debut against the Sox in the ninth and faced two hitters -- Erstd for a single and Thome for a home run. Gio Gonzalez looked great against two teams he never faced before, but in his third start against the White Sox, he was hit hard. The White Sox did well against Sean Gallegher the first time they faced him, but in Gallagher's first start for the A's he totally shut down the Angels, giving up only two hits in seven innings. The Sox did OK against Luke Hochevar. They had never faced Matt Cain, who is a pretty good pitcher, and they handled him well, especially the second time through the lineup.

Sometimes all teams have trouble against young or unknown pitchers, in large part because they are unknown. (And Brandon Morrow came within four outs of no-hitting the Yankees in his first-ever major league start Friday night.) It isn't a matter of advance scouting. It's that often pitchers are trying to improve and do things differently under their coaches' guidance after bad starts.

Fenway
09-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Teams historically do not blow leads of 3 or more games past September 1 as it has only happened 10 times since division play ( and now wild card ) started in 1969.

Fans point to Colorado last year but as well as they played they also needed a complete collapse by the Mets to even have the playoff with San Diego. In 10 days the Mets went from best record in the NL to not making the playoffs. I can not see Boston or Tampa having a total collapse like that.

Isn't it a little early to declare the Red Sox and Rays both in the playoffs? They play each other 6 times in the upcoming weeks which means no matter what they both can't win those days. I agree that if the Twinks and our Sox keep playing the way they've been playing the past couple weeks the wildcard will be in the AL East, but I think the wild card is far from being locked up as a result of those upcoming head to head games.

Looking at Tampa's remaining schedule its going to take a lot for them to not lose major ground and possibly cough up both the division and then the WC:

2 @ Tor
3 @ Bos
3 @ NYY
3 Bos
4 Min
4 @ Bal
4 @ Det

Major gut check time with that schedule.

voodoochile
09-06-2008, 11:16 PM
Teams historically do not blow leads of 3 or more games past September 1 as it has only happened 10 times since division play ( and now wild card ) started in 1969.

Fans point to Colorado last year but as well as they played they also needed a complete collapse by the Mets to even have the playoff with San Diego. In 10 days the Mets went from best record in the NL to not making the playoffs. I can not see Boston or Tampa having a total collapse like that.

25% of the time isn't exactly a rare occurrence.

However at the rate the twinkies are tanking, you may be right.

I'm just happy the Sox made up ground on every team that matters to them tonight...

guillensdisciple
09-06-2008, 11:54 PM
I think the Sox can pull home field advantage... maybe I am a bit too giddy but if they play with the fire they showed tonight I don't think many teams can beat them.

Fenway
09-06-2008, 11:56 PM
25% of the time isn't exactly a rare occurrence.

However at the rate the twinkies are tanking, you may be right.

I'm just happy the Sox made up ground on every team that matters to them tonight...

It is impossible at this point to predict what the LDS matchups will be. I thought Anaheim would be a lock for best record but they haven't been playing well.

Boston's biggest weakness was shown again tonight in Texas because if a starter falters early the bullpen can not stop the bleeding as Boston has had a number of ugly losses the past month.

Toronto is determined to finish third in the AL East and most likely will cause both Tampa and Boston to have headaches.

The 10 game road trip the White Sox face will most likely decide their fate. Four in The Bronx in The Stadium final days is the last place a team wants to be and the series in Kansas City can be dangerous as the Royals always seem to bite teams in the rear end.

Still if Nathan is indeed gassed you could very well clinch the division in Minneapolis which would be sweet.

Bottom line winning the first 2 from Anaheim bodes well for the Pale Hose.

MrRoboto83
09-07-2008, 05:35 AM
Toronto is determined to finish third in the AL East and most likely will cause both Tampa and Boston to have headaches.

The way Toronto is playing scares me a little bit with them due in town this Monday. If the Sox can sweep the Angels then a split against Toronto doesn't seem so bad. The Sox are already 0-4 against Toronto this year.

illini81887
09-07-2008, 09:21 AM
I just want to see Rasner pitch against the sox

hawkjt
09-07-2008, 10:00 AM
The Jays scare the crap outta me right now. We will face 4 very tough pitchers that we have struggled with. getting two of four looks pretty good to me right now...if we can do it.

turners56
09-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Tampa Bay being good this year is one of the worst things to happen to the Sox this year. One, we played them 10 times and lost 6. Two, if they weren't so good, we'd have a wild card spot to lean on.

turners56
09-07-2008, 11:02 AM
The way Toronto is playing scares me a little bit with them due in town this Monday. If the Sox can sweep the Angels then a split against Toronto doesn't seem so bad. The Sox are already 0-4 against Toronto this year.

Yeah, but those were all in domes. The Sox are 4-13 on artificial turf this year. Ouch...

Not saying we'll do much better, but just sayin'.

Fenway
09-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Boston is on thin ice suddenly as the Wild Card lead over the Twins is down to 5 but more importantly the Jays are 7 back and they have 7 left with Boston.

I can not see Toronto sweeping Boston but the way the Jays have been playing they are on the fringe.

I do think the Rays punched their playoff ticket last night and passed their first pressure September series with flying colors.