PDA

View Full Version : A Different Perspective...

voodoochile
09-06-2008, 12:59 AM
Prior to this season, no one thought TCQ would have a major impact on the team (or at least very few did). He was a nice pickup with a great pedigree but injuries had slowed him down in the majors and no one really knew what to expect. Most people would have been happy with him hitting .270, 20, 75 and batting 7th while slowly taking over the full time duties in LF. We got a whole lot more than that and that's just fine, but he wasn't expected to be The Man, the guy who carried the offense. Most people expected guys like Dye, Thome, Konerko, Swisher, Crede, AJ and even Cabrera to be the primary driving forces offensively. And most people thought the offense would be pretty good and if anything would hold the Sox back, it would be the lack of pitching and the over the top talent of the two teams expected to win the division.

Some of those guys have had fine seasons, but a portion of them have struggled for prolonged periods of time and one in particular has had the worst season imaginable until the last 5 weeks. Yet all of them are finally starting to hit close to like we expected them too in March. Oh and the pitching has been fine and with the exception of losing JC a few weeks ago, has been everything we wanted and more. Oh and those two powerhouse teams are fighting it out for 3rd place 10+ games back.

And then TCQ got hurt and suddenly it's back up the truck, we're ****ed...

But are we? TCQ carried the offense to this point and now the offense we expected to be fine is just that... it's fine. If the pitching holds up (and getting Linebrink back was simply huge) this team that TCQ carried to first place should be able to finish the run. They've got the talent. They've got the experience. They've got a small lead and they've certainly got the chemistry.

You want to jump off the bandwagon wearing a parachute with TCQ stitched into the canopy, fine, be my guest, but if you do, you're ignoring one simple fact. He wasn't expected to be the reason we have the chance we do, and all the guys we do still have are. Add that all up and it's really not hard to remain optimistic about the Sox chances. That's before we start to talk about a guy named Griffey...

DumpJerry
09-06-2008, 01:40 AM
We'll be fine. Two of three guys on BBTN (Kurkian was the dissenter) said the Sox will be able to handle the situation. They talked about how Konerko has gotten his game back and Junior is always capable of making something happen.

As it was pointed out in the main Quentin is out thread, pitching is what carries a team to the playoffs. I would keep an eye on our bullpen and hope Linebrink is really back.

hawkjt
09-06-2008, 01:48 AM
We have no choice but to soldier on without him but Carlos is why we are the surprise of the AL this year along with the Rays. We have guys that can do the job..but they have to get hot and stay hot against the good pitching. We face Saunders,Halladay,Litsch,Burnett ect this homestand.
We have struggled against good pitching all season.
They will just have to battle day to day. go sox.

TDog
09-06-2008, 02:10 AM
Voodoo, I was thinking pretty much the same thing tonight. The Sox started the season opened with Quentin on the bench, and they didn't have Griffey.

Of course, the Sox will miss Quentin. I'll miss Quentin. But when the Sox lost of Frank Thomas in 2005 and their lead eventually diminished to 1.5 games in September, I didn't give up on the season. More important, the Sox didn't give up on the season.

The Sox showed tonight they haven't given up on this season, and the least I can do is believe in them.

guillensdisciple
09-06-2008, 04:42 AM
Believe in the sox!!! As long as they put everything they have out there that they have there shouldn't be any complaints... to another world series win for the sox!!!! Let's prove everybody wrong!!!!

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-06-2008, 07:49 AM
To be honest, I am enjoying how this season is playing out. Unlike 2005 when we saw a large lead diminish, the Sox have never been more then 5 1/2 up(I think) so to battle it out might make the Tums moments every game - but they're still in the driver's seat.

Something tells me that TCQ will be back this season for last series or the postseason....based on him wanting to be part of this team.

doublem23
09-06-2008, 09:16 AM
To be honest, I am enjoying how this season is playing out. Unlike 2005 when we saw a large lead diminish, the Sox have never been more then 5 1/2 up(I think) so to battle it out might make the Tums moments every game - but they're still in the driver's seat.

Something tells me that TCQ will be back this season for last series or the postseason....based on him wanting to be part of this team.

I think we've been partially spoiled by the last two division champs we had; '05 and '00. In both those years, the Sox build gigantic leads relatively early in the season and had the luxury of more or less coasting to the play-offs. That's just not the way the majority of teams make the post-season. For many, it's a daily grind all the way to the end of September. It may feel unnatural to us, but that's just the way it works.

I know it was easy to get down yesterday, I certainly posted a few negative comments here, but you just got to sit back and enjoy the last 20 or so days of what has been a very fun, tight race for October. I keep telling myself that after last season, it's 10x more fun to still be watching meaningful games in September, that's all you can really ask for.

Bucky F. Dent
09-06-2008, 09:24 AM
I hope you're right Voodoo, but losing the guy who has been the catalyst for the better part of the year as we enter the final month of the season has me feeling, well....:puking:

Brian26
09-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Another way to look at it- there are only 23 games left, and then somewhere between 11 and 19 in the postseason if we go all the way. That's a fairly small percentage of the total season. This would have hurt much more if it happened in June or July.

voodoochile
09-06-2008, 09:49 AM
I hope you're right Voodoo, but losing the guy who has been the catalyst for the better part of the year as we enter the final month of the season has me feeling, well....:puking:

PK is capable of covering TCQ's numbers over the final month. It would be better to have them both, but It's like we lost one bat and found another.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-06-2008, 10:16 AM
This would have hurt much more if it happened in June or July.

You bet it would have. In fact, it can be argued that TCQ carried the Sox over the period when no one else was hitting (or hitting the way they were supposed to), and therefore deserves MVP consideration despite the injury. Sure, it won't happen; with his numbers frozen others will pass him up in the stats. But as a difference maker? Without Quentin the Sox are probably not in a position now to have Paulie's slow rebound, the acquisition of Junior, or anything else matter.

One thing we know is that over this young player's expected-to-be-storied career he will never punch a bat and break his wrist again (he says he's been making this gesture of frustration since college days.) A valuable lesson for someone whom we hope will be in a Sox uniform for a good long while. The Sox have what it takes to get TCQ a ring to reward his part in 2008, whether he returns for part of the post-season or not (wouldn't that be special if he did) -- it won't be easy but it can be done.

Rounding_Third
09-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Totally agree Voodoo! This team has plenty of talent, veteran leadership, and perhaps a few bench surprises along the way to win the Central.

Lip Man 1
09-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Brian:

It's also true though that if this had happened in June or July, Q would have had time to return this season.

----------

Pretty good, clear headed column on this:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-080905-carlos-quentin-white-sox-morrissey,0,5300465.column

Lip

JungleJimR
09-06-2008, 12:23 PM
We face Saunders,Halladay,Litsch,Burnett ect this homestand.
We have struggled against good pitching all season.
They will just have to battle day to day. go sox.

You are so right on!

This week will tell us whether we contend in October.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-06-2008, 12:59 PM
With or without CQ, it always comes down to the same thing every year: Pitching. You get quality starts, you don't need as much hitting.

BleacherBandit
09-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Sorry, but I'm still a bit skeptical about this. I don't think that yesterday was a good example of what to expect daily from now on, consitering they were hitting against a recently called up pitcher.

But I do think that Juan is pulling his act together, especially with those home runs yesterday.

ViPeRx007
09-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Sorry, but I'm still a bit skeptical about this. I don't think that yesterday was a good example of what to expect daily from now on, consitering they were hitting against a recently called up pitcher.

But I do think that Juan is pulling his act together, especially with those home runs yesterday.

Count me in as one who has been impressed with Juan this season. Perhaps losing his starting job lit a fire under him. I've always thought he was a better player than he sometimes shows. He'll still have his ups and down's but he's definitely an interesting player.

Joe who?

Rounding_Third
09-06-2008, 01:56 PM
With or without CQ, it always comes down to the same thing every year: Pitching. You get quality starts, you don't need as much hitting.

Bulldog Buehrle did his part last night. Let's hope it starts us on a pitching roll!

TheVulture
09-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Carlos is why we are the surprise of the AL this year along with the Rays.

That, and Danks, Floyd, Buerhle, the great work by the bullpen, Dye, Ramirez, AJ, Uribe stepping up when needed, the defense with the great double play combo...

jabrch
09-06-2008, 10:33 PM
We will miss Q. But not having him does not mean that the season is OVER. We still have a very good shot at this.