PDA

View Full Version : Linebrink returns...

jabrch
09-05-2008, 11:34 PM
Well - it's not an even swap - losing Q and getting Linebrink. But I sure am happy to see Linerink back.

With expanded rosters, if Linebrink, Dotel and Jenks are at their best, and we have Thornton, DJ to handle other innings, and then a bunch of guys "just in case" (Logan, Wasserman, Russel, Ramirez, MacDougal, Broadway, etc...)

The pen is much stronger with Linebrink there to take a big inning.

esbrechtel
09-05-2008, 11:37 PM
I saw him hit 91 a few times I thought that was good to see...

voodoochile
09-06-2008, 12:03 AM
It was a no pressure outing which is a great way to get his feet wet. If he can stay healthy and pitch close to how he was before the injury he'll be a huge addition and at the least he's got a fresh arm going into the pennant stretch. I get the impression both Dotel and Thornton could use some rest. DJ too...

Konerko05
09-06-2008, 12:18 AM
It's great the Sox were able to get a big lead for him. Everyone knew he was going to be rusty. This way he was able to work through the rust with virtually no pressure. I'm sure that double play gave him a lot of confidence.

His fastball looked decent, between 89-91. I didn't see him throw any breaking balls.

jabrch
09-06-2008, 12:23 AM
It was a no pressure outing which is a great way to get his feet wet. If he can stay healthy and pitch close to how he was before the injury he'll be a huge addition and at the least he's got a fresh arm going into the pennant stretch. I get the impression both Dotel and Thornton could use some rest. DJ too...

I think DJ was throwing like we had a 10-0 lead. He was grooving strikes. Had it meant something, I think we'd have seen a different DJ tonight.

voodoochile
09-06-2008, 12:29 AM
I think DJ was throwing like we had a 10-0 lead. He was grooving strikes. Had it meant something, I think we'd have seen a different DJ tonight.

Those three guys have been working a ton of stressful inings lately. Not just physically stressful (where every pitch/batter counts) but mentally stressful because every pitch/batter counts and the team is smack dab in the middle of a playoff race.

Linebrink will give them a chance to catch their collective breath both physically and mentally and if the bats stay hot for the next 10 days at least while we play at home that will help too..

rustysurf83
09-06-2008, 12:57 AM
Well - it's not an even swap - losing Q and getting Linebrink. But I sure am happy to see Linerink back.

People are going to jump all over me for this...., but it is above an even swap. Given the state of our bullpen lately, I will give up a bat to take Linebrink back. This team has plenty of big hitters that can get hot, it does not have plenty of relievers.

peelwonder
09-06-2008, 01:02 AM
Dude...you're forgetting about Macdougal.....

guillensdisciple
09-06-2008, 04:37 AM
I don't think it really matters if there is a slight decline in Linebrinks pitches, he has such great movement on his fastball that it will be hard enough to hit as it is. I just love the fact that the sox can gain some reassurance in their bullpen. Once he gets used to his role the bullpens shouldn't be a problem; which is the perfect scenario for the sox.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-06-2008, 09:41 AM
This is huge for the Sox. Linebrink changes how the game is played in the late innings, the order of relievers used, and provides that crucial bridge to Jenks. If Linebrink is as effective as he was early in the season, it means several more wins for the Sox.

Rounding_Third
09-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Dude...you're forgetting about Macdougal.....

You may be joking but he looked decent the other day. Let's hope his new delivery will continue to get him better control. He could provide some needed rest to others in the pen in the blowout games (either way), at least. I believe, if he can show some consistency, he still has a shot at a playoff roster if we make it. His arm should be fairly fresh these last few weeks which huge for his effectiveness.

kevingrt
09-06-2008, 10:53 AM
People are going to jump all over me for this...., but it is above an even swap. Given the state of our bullpen lately, I will give up a bat to take Linebrink back. This team has plenty of big hitters that can get hot, it does not have plenty of relievers.

I agree with you if you can guarantee me that Linebrink pitches like he did before his trip the the DL. I know you cannot guarantee that, but if he pitches like he did then yes it is an above average swap.

And Linebrink looked pretty good for his debut after the DL. He did not have the greatest control but he had nice velocity and should continue to improve with each and every start. I say another 2-3 apperances and he can be inserted right back into that 8th inning spot. But as for today (Saturday) and tomorrow I think Thorton and Dotel man the 8th inning. Or Ozzie can always use Bobby for more then one inning at least once this weekend.

35th and Shields
09-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Those three guys have been working a ton of stressful inings lately. Not just physically stressful (where every pitch/batter counts) but mentally stressful because every pitch/batter counts and the team is smack dab in the middle of a playoff race.

Linebrink will give them a chance to catch their collective breath both physically and mentally and if the bats stay hot for the next 10 days at least while we play at home that will help too..

Exactly. Just the fact that we get another good, reliable arm in the bullpen will make everyone in it that much better. I think our bullpen has like the fourth fewest innings but when you have to put the all the pressure on a few guys guys its very stressful. Now, with linebrink back, you not only get a great pitcher back but everyone gets more rest which leads to an even more effective bullpen then it has been.