PDA

View Full Version : Could TCQ still win MVP?

Soxman219
09-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Remember when Torii Hunter won the Gold Glove in Center in '05 when Rowand was robbed. Hunter was injured for half the season but still won the award. Do you think that could happen to Quentin?

PorkChopExpress
09-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Remember when Torii Hunter won the Gold Glove in Center in '05 when Rowand was robbed. Hunter was injured for half the season but still won the award. Do you think that could happen to Quentin?

I think unless Morneau gets hurt he will take it. If neither Morneau or Hamilton continued to produce, then Quentin could, but with a month left they will both continue to put up numbers, and Morneau will be chasing a division title as well.

Oh yeah, and those guys from Boston, too.

Frontman
09-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Yes, especially if the Sox fall out of the playoffs without him.

BadBobbyJenks
09-05-2008, 05:58 PM
Not a chance.

UofCSoxFan
09-05-2008, 06:01 PM
I really couldn't care less.

munchman33
09-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Probably not, but it isn't like this will be his last chance to win one. I'd wager he'll have a few before it's all said and done.

turners56
09-05-2008, 06:42 PM
He might not even get a top 5 consideration. If you're not playing during the most important stretch of the regular season, you won't get very much consideration for MVP.

BigP50
09-05-2008, 08:39 PM
I would be very surprised if he did

esbrechtel
09-05-2008, 10:49 PM
No chance it sucks but it is what it is....he will just have to come back in the playoffs and get ALCS and WS MVPs

Konerko05
09-06-2008, 12:03 AM
When I found out Quentin was out for the season, the MVP award never even crossed my mind.

oeo
09-06-2008, 12:05 AM
I think unless Morneau gets hurt he will take it. If neither Morneau or Hamilton continued to produce, then Quentin could, but with a month left they will both continue to put up numbers, and Morneau will be chasing a division title as well.

Oh yeah, and those guys from Boston, too.

Morneau won't win it if we win the division. Remember...Dye would have taken it two years ago had the Sox made the playoffs.

It'll likely be whoever is hot on the Red Sox at the end of the year. Literally from week to week they have a new guy that deserves the MVP. :rolleyes:

hose
09-06-2008, 12:17 AM
TCQ doesn't deserve the MVP after pulling a his bone head stunt.

Nellie_Fox
09-06-2008, 12:19 AM
TCQ doesn't deserve the MVP after pulling a his bone head stunt.Oh, please. How many players have slapped at the barrel of their bat in frustration? It's a freak injury.

hose
09-06-2008, 12:24 AM
Oh, please. How many players have slapped at the barrel of their bat in frustration? It's a freak injury.

It's a dumbass move and he left his team hanging.

DUMBASS and he's paying the price

DUMBASS MOVE... PERIOD

Nellie_Fox
09-06-2008, 12:28 AM

DUMBASS MOVE... PERIODSaying it louder doesn't make you right.

PennStater98r
09-06-2008, 12:30 AM

DUMBASS MOVE... PERIOD

Dude - you're full of ****. And this post is a dumbass move, but you don't see us posting in all CAPS with a 20 point font pointing you out.

**** happens, 100s of bat slaps go down every season by well over 100 different players. This is the FIRST time I have heard of a broken hand from one.

Started my own thread for this, but the Griff trade is looking much better now.

hose
09-06-2008, 12:38 AM
Saying it louder doesn't make you right.

Who cares if I'm loud, right, or wrong.

Quentin is no MVP after his stupid childlike act. This is a Stanford man? he is a dumbass.

Nellie_Fox
09-06-2008, 12:39 AM
Who cares if I'm loud, right, or wrong.

Quentin is no MVP after his stupid childlike act. This is a Stanford man? he is a dumbass.I'm reasonably certain that you'll find yourself all alone in this opinion.

hi im skot
09-06-2008, 12:40 AM

DUMBASS MOVE... PERIOD

Needs a bigger font and more use of the word "dumbass."

Oh, and it's unfortunate, but hardly boneheaded...

hose
09-06-2008, 12:41 AM
Dude - you're full of ****. And this post is a dumbass move, but you don't see us posting in all CAPS with a 20 point font pointing you out.

**** happens, 100s of bat slaps go down every season by well over 100 different players. This is the FIRST time I have heard of a broken hand from one.

Started my own thread for this, but the Griff trade is looking much better now.

I've got every reason to be pissed and you know it.

save your crap for someone else

hi im skot
09-06-2008, 12:42 AM
save your crap for someone else

:rolling:

Do you have enough Tupperware containers for your crap?

hose
09-06-2008, 12:43 AM
I'm reasonably certain that you'll find yourself all alone in this opinion.

good

hose
09-06-2008, 12:44 AM
screw all of you

hi im skot
09-06-2008, 12:45 AM
screw all of you

Epic.

:happybday

Nellie_Fox
09-06-2008, 01:33 AM
screw all of youTake a week to cool off.

BadBobbyJenks
09-06-2008, 03:34 AM
Over served and posting or what:scratch:

SoxandtheCityTee
09-06-2008, 09:48 AM
I posted in voodoo's thread before reading this one, but to summarize my answer to the OP question: yes.

Rounding_Third
09-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Take a week to cool off.

...and a lifetime to grow up.

Eddo144
09-06-2008, 10:13 AM
1. Mauer is having a better year than Morneau. Plus, Morneau won it two years ago in what is viewed as a mistake. I think Mauer has the inside track now, regardless of the Twins making the playoffs.

I just hope ****ing K-Rod doesn't win it. (That's my first use of that word on this board - that's how strongly I feel about that.)

2. While I don't necessarily agree with hose, Quentin's bat slap was not smart, and he did sort of pay the price. Think about how you'd feel if A-Rod or Morneau did this: you'd probably be laughing and saying "dumbass" too.

Note: I do not believe Quentin is a dumbass.

Rounding_Third
09-06-2008, 11:20 AM
2. While I don't necessarily agree with hose, Quentin's bat slap was not smart, and he did sort of pay the price. Think about how you'd feel if A-Rod or Morneau did this: you'd probably be laughing and saying "dumbass" too.

Note: I do not believe Quentin is a dumbass.

It was just a freak thing. Should the pies in the face and the HR leaps stop too? They're not smart, either. Someone could injure an eye or break an ankle. I can't fault him for showing intensity and emotion. That intensity has helped make him who he is. This is a special team and him punching a bat is just part of who they are as a whole.

itsnotrequired
09-06-2008, 12:28 PM
the hose was angry that day, my friends...

Jjav829
09-06-2008, 12:34 PM
No.

But if he has a really big month to lead the Sox into the playoffs, Dye could put up a very strong case to be the AL MVP.

BleacherBandit
09-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Being a 'freak accident' isn't independent of making a bad move. Players should control their anger because something like this may happen.

That being said, I don't think that Carlos is stupid, but I'm not going to blame this on a 'freak accident' instead of his anger manegement.

Rounding_Third
09-06-2008, 01:14 PM
No.

But if he has a really big month to lead the Sox into the playoffs, Dye could put up a very strong case to be the AL MVP.

I was thinking that, too. He has become my all-time favorite Sox. This year sealed the deal. He just quietly goes about his business; always with class and consistency....and oh so clutch! He took over for me from Baines. I guess I'm just partial to RF's...oh, and WS MVP's. Sorry Harold!

turners56
09-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Dye's our number 1 candidate now. :D:

guillen4life13
09-06-2008, 04:53 PM
TCQ will not be the 2008 AL MVP. You don't miss close to a month in the final stretch of the season and win it unless your stats are already MVP-worthy over a full season.

So, if TCQ had another 10+ homers and another 30+ RBI, then maybe we'd be talking about it. But neither is the case.

Dye has a chance but I doubt he will do it just because he's so non-chalant about everything. He doesn't get enough attention, and the only way it happens is if he comes through with some very clutch hits.

35th and Shields
09-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Being a 'freak accident' isn't independent of making a bad move. Players should control their anger because something like this may happen.

That being said, I don't think that Carlos is stupid, but I'm not going to blame this on a 'freak accident' instead of his anger manegement.

This just proves the only man who can stop TCQ is TCQ himself.

nccwsfan
09-08-2008, 08:33 AM
He might not even get a top 5 consideration. If you're not playing during the most important stretch of the regular season, you won't get very much consideration for MVP.

Quentin won't get the MVP award this year, but saying he might not get top 5 consideration is a stretch. Granted the AL MVP will most likely be won in the last 3 weeks, but there's no way that Quentin drops off the charts- he was too valuable and too consistent all year to simply be ignored.

Morneau, Youkilis, Pedroia, Quentin, Hamilton- in no particular order.

PennStater98r
09-08-2008, 10:17 AM
screw all of you

You'll be missed....

Dumbass.
:dtroll:

Foulke You
09-08-2008, 11:04 AM
I was thinking that, too. He has become my all-time favorite Sox. This year sealed the deal. He just quietly goes about his business; always with class and consistency....and oh so clutch! He took over for me from Baines. I guess I'm just partial to RF's...oh, and WS MVP's. Sorry Harold!
Dye has also quietly had a very nice year defensively in RF. A lot of people knock him because he "looks slow" but he plays an excellent RF.

As far as Q winning the MVP, I think that is definitely out the window. Even if he was healthy and finished with 40HRs and 125RBI, I still think the media would still have given it to Pedroia or someone else. White Sox players get no national love and you need to have that in order to win the MVP. I remember in 2000 that Frank was hands down the AL MVP that year but Balco Giambi got the ESPN love and was a weekly guest on Dan Patrick's radio show so he won it over Frank.

Gammons Peter
09-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Can somebody please tell me why the surgery is today and not last Wednesday, Thursday or Friday? Why wait so long

oeo
09-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Can somebody please tell me why the surgery is today and not last Wednesday, Thursday or Friday? Why wait so long

Since when do you just hop into surgery? First it needs to be diagnosed, which wasn't done until at least Thursday, then you need to go through your options.

Carlos: my wrist feels sore. Doctors: let's go have surgery. :?:

KyWhiSoxFan
09-08-2008, 12:09 PM

You have to wait for swelling to go down, for one.

Gammons Peter
09-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Since when do you just hop into surgery? First it needs to be diagnosed, which wasn't done until at least Thursday, then you need to go through your options.

Carlos: my wrist feels sore. Doctors: let's go have surgery. :?:

It happened Monday, It should have been diagnosed by Tuesday or at the very latest Wednesday. This is not you or I getting a HMO referral

Region Rat
09-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Forgive me for asking, but what the hell is the final story on what happened? (I'm kinda out the loop here in Baghdad) I just got to a computer today and I'm reading he punched a wall in Boston, or he slammed a bat, whats the deal?

if it is either of those too, its pretty stupid, but forgivable. He plays with a lot of intensity, that's why he was the ****. It just bit him in the ass.

Gammons Peter
09-08-2008, 01:01 PM
He fouled off a pitch. On the follow through (with the bat in his left hand)kind of gave the bat a karate chop with his right hand. (bat moving down and right hand moving up)

Gammons Peter
09-08-2008, 01:03 PM
or did i get that reversed? I don't remember now.