PDA

View Full Version : OZZIE: We are a game and a half behind

Fenway
09-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Peter Gammons was going his weekly spot on ESPN 890 Boston and says he was talking to Ozzie today and Ozzie told him my standings board in the clubhouse says the White Sox are a game and a half behind the Twins.

Ozzie told him everybody says we will lose the 3 games in Minneapolis so fine we are a game and half behind and we will play accordingly. Then if we win one or two so much the better.

Gammons believes the White Sox will hold on and win the division.

hi im skot
09-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Peter Gammons was going his weekly spot on ESPN 890 Boston and says he was talking to Ozzie today and Ozzie told him my standings board in the clubhouse says the White Sox are a game and a half behind the Twins.

Ozzie told him everybody says we will lose the 3 games in Minneapolis so fine we are a game and half behind and we will play accordingly. Then if we win one or two so much the better.

Gammons believes the White Sox will hold on and win the division.

With or without Quentin?

veeter
09-05-2008, 03:28 PM
I really like that thinking.

turners56
09-05-2008, 03:30 PM
For some odd reason, I don't feel THAT bad that we lost Quentin. I believe that we have enough depth to compensate to at least win the division. If we can get a healthy Linebrink back, it only makes the Quentin injury even less significant. I don't know, it'll probably be a battle between two crippled teams for the division.

veeter
09-05-2008, 03:31 PM
As someone posted earlier, it's going to come down to pitching...period.

Lukin13
09-05-2008, 03:34 PM

And I have decided during this season that the most important aspect of pitching is.... the defense behind it.

veeter
09-05-2008, 03:35 PM
And I have decided during this season that the most important aspect of pitching is.... the defense behind it.So Juan and Brian have to be huge.

BleacherBandit
09-05-2008, 03:38 PM
So Juan and Brian have to be huge.
And they are in the field. Let's just hope that the secondary players can make up for the offense. That's what scares me.

kevingrt
09-05-2008, 03:40 PM

Pitching and defense. End of story. Completely agree.

guillensdisciple
09-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Perfect motivation, I think Guillen is setting the Sox up perfectly.... hopefully.

kobo
09-05-2008, 03:44 PM
I do as well.

Dan Mega
09-05-2008, 03:46 PM
So Juan and Brian have to be huge.

They'd better be in the field now.

turners56
09-05-2008, 03:49 PM
It's too bad we're not even playing like a second place team lately. This team needs to kick into full gear and realize that they can be just as good without Q. Hopefully, the guys haven't given up on this season like some posters on this board.

doublem23
09-05-2008, 03:52 PM
It's too bad we're not even playing like a second place team lately. This team needs to kick into full gear and realize that they can be just as good without Q. Hopefully, the guys haven't given up on this season like some posters on this board.

Last time I checked, they're in first place place, so they're still a first place team.

BeviBall!
09-05-2008, 03:52 PM
I can't stand how everything revolves around Minnesota. Someone in the franchise has to stand up and exorcise those demons... and it starts by telling Hawk he's not allowed to bring them up during broadcasts anymore when we aren't playing them.

cbotnyse
09-05-2008, 03:53 PM
With or without Quentin?yeah, was this before or after the news?

I really like that thinking.me too.

Fenway
09-05-2008, 03:53 PM

Smart move by Ozze to just assume they will lose the 3 games in Minneapolis and worry about the rest of the schedule.

It is going to be a classic pennant race and most likely will go down to the final weekend.

:popcorn:

thomas35forever
09-05-2008, 03:55 PM
At least one guy in the clubhouse, the manager, is thinking with a good attitude. The question is can the guys on the field have an attitude too?

munchman33
09-05-2008, 04:04 PM
I basically say the same thing three weeks ago and get lambasted. :dunno:

I'm with Ozzie. Play so that we don't need those three games. They aren't impossible to win but they're certainly not likely either.

doublem23
09-05-2008, 04:07 PM

Good for you! :thumbsup: I hope you don't hurt your arm patting yourself on the back.

Ozzie's not a perpetual negative nancy. There's a difference between playing the "nobody respects us" card when you're trying to get people pumped up and just complaining and whining all the time.

Foulke You
09-05-2008, 04:09 PM

I'm with Ozzie. Play so that we don't need those three games. They aren't impossible to win but they're certainly not likely either.
Hopefully, the Twins will keep playing like they have been and the Sox can put a stranglehold on the division during this homestand. It would be nice if we had a 4 or 5 game lead when this homestand concludes. I'd be happy with a 3 game lead though. 4W-6L on this last road trip is status quo for our Sox this year when playing away from the South Side. We need to continue our home dominance the rest of the way and play about .500 on the road and the rest should take care of itself.

Lip Man 1
09-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Bevi:

You also have to ask the field manager to stop talking about them like they are Supermen and to ask your G.M. to stop telling the media how many games the Sox have left to play in the Metrodome until it is gone.

Lip

turners56
09-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Last time I checked, they're in first place place, so they're still a first place team.

There's a difference between being in first and playing like a first place team at a given point in time.

hi im skot
09-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Bevi:

You also have to ask the field manager to stop talking about them like they are Supermen and to ask your G.M. to stop telling the media how many games the Sox have left to play in the Metrodome until it is gone.

Lip

It's no secret the Sox don't play well in the dome, so I don't think it's a big deal... :shrug:

DickAllen72
09-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Pitching and defense. End of story. Completely agree.
Well, having Griffey in CF is not going to help the pitching and defense.

Baseball is a game of pitching, defense and offense. With Quentin, the Sox pitching was just about good enough to keep them tied for first. Now they lose their best and most consistent hitter and replace him with a lesser bat and a big liability on defense. I'm not saying it's over, but I wouldn't try to minimize the loss of their MVP either.

Jimmy Piersall
09-05-2008, 04:29 PM
It's no secret the Sox don't play well in the dome, so I don't think it's a big deal... :shrug:

No,it isn't a secret but at some point,like ****ing today,Oz needs
to shut his yapper about the lovely Twinkie style of baseball.It
just feeds in to a negative mindset before the Sox even step foot
off the airplane.Enough already with the "oh ****,here we go again"
crap.The hell with that.

EuroSox35
09-05-2008, 04:31 PM
At least one guy in the clubhouse, the manager, is thinking with a good attitude. The question is can the guys on the field have an attitude too?

I'm not judging what he's doing, but is it really a good attitude when you're telling the team you have no chance vs/in Minnesota?

WisSoxFan
09-05-2008, 04:59 PM
I'm not judging what he's doing, but is it really a good attitude when you're telling the team you have no chance vs/in Minnesota?

XXX

From what Fenway posted to start this thread, and it wasn't much, my sense is that Ozzie is sort of blasting the media, fans, front office, announces, whoever by insinuating we've already lost three so let's just assume that on our standings board. It's the old "respect" card that virtually every team plays in order to motivate themselves. It's also making the Sox the "hunters" instead of the "hunted." And most athletes are motivated more by being the hunters. I'm not Ozzie's biggest fan by any stretch, but I like his methodolgy here. I hope it works. Go Sox.

Jurr
09-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Bevi:

Lip
Yup, that would help. Since the Sox were walked off in Minnesota to win the 2000 AL Central Title, the Metrodome has been a house of horrors. No matter who's hitting or pitching for the Twins, they seem to own the Sox there. Well, it doesn't look like Minnesota is going away any time soon, and if the Sox keep ackowledging that they have a problem at the baggie dome, they're going to create a self fulfilling prophecy. THOSE GAMES WILL COUNT. They will probably settle the division.

Jurr
09-05-2008, 06:05 PM
It becomes a big deal when the Sox are lacing up their shoes in the clubhouse to open that series, being up a game in the standings. Ozzie is going to stand in front of those guys, knowing that the next three games will determine who's going to the playoffs, and what's he going to say?

munchman33
09-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Good for you! :thumbsup: I hope you don't hurt your arm patting yourself on the back.

Ozzie's not a perpetual negative nancy. There's a difference between playing the "nobody respects us" card when you're trying to get people pumped up and just complaining and whining all the time.

I'm not negative, I'm realistic. :rolleyes:

Gavin
09-05-2008, 06:25 PM
It's almost as if Ozzie is implying that Minnesota will not be mathematically eliminated until they are mathematically eliminated!!!

09-05-2008, 09:06 PM

Realistic in your own ****ed up paradigm.

Daver
09-05-2008, 09:13 PM

Keep trying to sell it, no one is buying it.

You're negative to point that it is funny as hell.

jabrch
09-05-2008, 09:48 PM
We are a worse team today than we were yesterday.

That being said, there is no reason we won't be in this race for the rest of the season.

Zisk77
09-05-2008, 11:10 PM
XXX

From what Fenway posted to start this thread, and it wasn't much, my sense is that Ozzie is sort of blasting the media, fans, front office, announces, whoever by insinuating we've already lost three so let's just assume that on our standings board. It's the old "respect" card that virtually every team plays in order to motivate themselves. It's also making the Sox the "hunters" instead of the "hunted." And most athletes are motivated more by being the hunters. I'm not Ozzie's biggest fan by any stretch, but I like his methodolgy here. I hope it works. Go Sox.

I agree, rather then playing with the mindset that we are protecting a 1 1/2 game lead (playing not to lose) we are trying to erase an imaginary 1 1/2 game deficit (playing to win).

In other words "damn the torpedos, full speed ahead!" - admiral Farrugut

ViPeRx007
09-05-2008, 11:14 PM
I still don't really like this defeatist attitude they have when talking about playing Minnesota. "Well, chalk up 3 wins for the Piranhas this series. We haven't played the games yet but we're going to lose so we might as well prepare for it"

Seems like a weird approach. Not that I wouldn't be thrilled if their lead was beyond 3 games when they get to that series, but still.

TDog
09-05-2008, 11:29 PM
I find it hard to believe that people are taking such remarks seriously. They obviously weren't meant to be taken seriously.

If Guillen had said he expects the White Sox to win three games in the Metrodome, people would be complaining that he was providing the Twins with bulletin board material.

voodoochile
09-05-2008, 11:36 PM

Exactly. This is classic Ozzie. I can almost picture him rolling his eyes as he said it.

He's calling out the Sox now to win more games and build a cushion. He's calling out the Sox for when those games come and telling them they aren't getting any respect and the season is already over because a bunch of whiners said so. He's laughing at the ludicrousness of it all and saying he'll take his chances with the guys he's got and that he trusts them to get the job done. He's laughing at the twinkie's ineptitude on the road which led to the Sox ONLY being 1.5 behind (or is it up, I get confused) too. Lose to them? Have you looked at how crappy that team looks at times?

Ozzie being Ozzie and I love it...

oeo
09-05-2008, 11:54 PM
That Ozzie guy is smart. I love it.

Gavin
09-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Reminds me of a conversation I had with my Dad a few years ago. I was talking about how it was good that the Tribe/Twins/whoever had lost and he said "I don't care if they win or lose. The only thing that's important is that the Sox win."

everafan
09-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Smart move by Ozze to just assume they will lose the 3 games in Minneapolis and worry about the rest of the schedule.

It is going to be a classic pennant race and most likely will go down to the final weekend.

:popcorn:
I think it's dangerous - if the Sox are not 3 games up at that time how will he convince them they can win in the baggie?

Fenway
09-06-2008, 10:31 PM
I think it's dangerous - if the Sox are not 3 games up at that time how will he convince them they can win in the baggie?

White Sox now 3 up in loss column with 21 to play.

Winning at least 2 from Anaheim is huge and when you start crunching numbers it may well be that all the Pale Hose needs is one win at the Hankie.

MLB will most likely be doing the coin flips this week for Boston, Tampa, Chicago and Minny. Let us hope it doesn't come to that.

Tonight was a HUGE win for the WS.

chisoxfanatic
09-06-2008, 10:33 PM
Winning at least 2 from Anaheim is huge and when you start crunching numbers it may well be that all the Pale Hose needs is one win at the Hankie.
It's especially huge, considering the Twins were "supposedly" in line to sweep Detroit.

It's time to put the foot to their throat and end this thing. Put the Twins out of their misery in the rear view mirror.

guillensdisciple
09-06-2008, 10:46 PM
I am happy to say the Sox are only a half game back, we still have a chance!!

OldRomanPizza
09-06-2008, 11:11 PM
I firmly believe the Sox will win at least one game in Minnesota.

Tragg
09-07-2008, 01:35 PM
This is just Ozzie's humor and way of mocking the media.

He'll get the last laugh when the Sox celebrate a divisional title amidst concrete and baggies.

jabrch
09-07-2008, 01:53 PM
I believe we are a superior baseball team to them. I hope the end result shows it as well.

EuroSox35
09-25-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm glad this was such a "brilliant" move. Everyone who says 'there's no doubt he was kidding', maybe you don't follow him enough around here, because he says a lot of stupid ****ing things. If I just read it and didn't hear, I wouldn't believe that he called into a radio station (and ***** out) to cuss out someone who was criticizing him, start playing head games with his pitcher in the biggest game of the year, throw a ton of people under the bus when he should be handling things in private, never take the blame but will always be the first to take credit, will mock the fans if a guy like Uribe or Contreras starts doing well even though them being criticized was deserved in the first place, etc etc etc. The main point, he is an egotistical attention whore who puts himself first over more important things. You're good for keeping mediots loose, next time take some lessons in baseball game situations 101.

Anyone who watched this series saw Ozzie's ghost white face in a corner of a dugout the whole series, and the team followed suit, they were scared ****less out there

munchman33
09-25-2008, 11:07 PM
I believe we are a superior baseball team to them. I hope the end result shows it as well.

You must be basing that off of something other than their play on the field then.

Someday we're gonna remember that "on paper" numbers don't mean **** unless you do the little things. And the teams that do the little things without a ton of talent beat the "on paper" teams that can't, because the little things are more important to everything except player's free agent salaries.

MarySwiss
09-26-2008, 12:08 AM

You must be basing that off of something other than their play on the field then.

Someday we're gonna remember that "on paper" numbers don't mean **** unless you do the little things. And the teams that do the little things without a ton of talent beat the "on paper" teams that can't, because the little things are more important to everything except player's free agent salaries.

So Jabrch made his post on Sept. 7th, and you're making your post tonight?

Sorry, Munch; but hindsight is easy.

munchman33
09-26-2008, 08:02 AM

Haha...oops. I must have clicked the thread by accident.

SOXandILLINI
09-26-2008, 06:34 PM
This is just Ozzie's humor and way of mocking the media.

He'll get the last laugh when the Sox celebrate a divisional title amidst concrete and baggies.

Hope he's not laughing too loud, cus they may have to give him one of those jackets that tie in the back.

SOXandILLINI
09-26-2008, 07:05 PM

The Twins are a better baseball team than the White Sox, and are definitely a better baseball organization, you wanna talk about bang for your buck? The Twinkies are the blueprint ladies and gentlemen, that's a fact even our "genius" manager knows. We better retool and fast, or we are gonna be also rans for years to come. We play very mediocre defense and it takes multiple hits to score the bulk of our lineup fron 2nd base, not exactly Ozzie ball. Kenny Williams and Ozzie have to answer for not addressing this aging and plodding lineup.