PDA

View Full Version : WGN All Time Chicago Team

Lip Man 1
09-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Calling the White Sox army.

It's time for the White Sox Army to stand and deliver.

WGN-TV at the end of the month (for some reason - probably because they think the Cubs are winning the World Series) is having an all time Chicago team special. They want your input on the best of all time.

I'm sure the lemmings on the North Side will be stuffing the ballot box so you can't say you weren't warned.

http://baseball.wgn.com/pages/vote_c

Lip

Lundind1
09-05-2008, 03:01 PM
They should have a 50/50 rule in place for this thing.

I will be sure to spread the word to the White Sox Fans I know to get our guys represented well.

Foulke You
09-05-2008, 05:14 PM
I'm not sure whether to list Frank Thomas as the DH or 1B on my team. I think I'm going to put him at 1B so I can put Harold at DH. Besides, Frank's best years were when he played 1B.

Lip Man 1
09-05-2008, 05:23 PM
You can also put Harold in right field if you want another person at DH.

Lip

Brian26
09-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Barry Foote at catcher.

WSox597
09-06-2008, 10:36 AM
I can't think of a Cub catcher better than Carlton Fisk. And I grew up in a Cubs household for the most part.

I was the lone Sox fan thanks to one of my uncles who took me to Comiskey Park as often as possible.

Juice16
09-06-2008, 11:10 AM
I tried to be honest. I put Frank as DH, Harold RF, Kiki Cuyler CF, Billy Williams LF, Ventura 3B, Appling SS, Sandberg 2B, Banks 1B, Fisk C, Jenkins RHP, Pierce LHP, Wilhem RP.

soxfanreggie
09-06-2008, 11:19 AM
What Juice...no Slammin' Sammy Sosa???????

Juice16
09-06-2008, 11:21 AM
What Juice...no Slammin' Sammy Sosa???????

No Sammy, and after looking again at the stats, unfortunately Santo beats out Robin.

soxfanreggie
09-06-2008, 11:23 AM
I can't think of a Cub catcher better than Carlton Fisk.

Sad as it may be, we could see Soto and Soriano on this list, if some Cubs fans have their way. If people who deserve it make the list, we would, guaranteed, see Big Hurt, Fisk, Appling, and a few other Sox on the list, just as we would see Banks and Williams from the Cubs.

Bucky F. Dent
09-06-2008, 12:12 PM
My Lineup
1b - Dick Allen
2b - Nellie Fox
3b - Robin Ventura
ss - Luke Appling
lf - Minnie Minoso
cf - Joe Jackson
rf - Harold Baines
rhp - Ted Lyons
lhp - Billy Pierce
relief - Bobby Thigpen
C - Fisk
DH - Frank Thomas
Manager - Ozzie

BleacherBandit
09-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Sad as it may be, we could see Soto and Soriano on this list, if some Cubs fans have their way. If people who deserve it make the list, we would, guaranteed, see Big Hurt, Fisk, Appling, and a few other Sox on the list, just as we would see Banks and Williams from the Cubs.

Plus the fact that most Cubs fans don't even know Fisk was on the Sox.

Most of the baseball world doesn't remember that either, which is ridiculous. If Soto makes it on there, I swear, I'll punch a hole in the wall. :angry:

WhiteSox5187
09-06-2008, 01:56 PM
I couldn't think of a good CF we had so I was forced to go with Chet Lemon...dammit, I should have chosen Jungle Jim Rivera. The only Cub I went with was Maddux as a RHP.

JB98
09-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Plus the fact that most Cubs fans don't even know Fisk was on the Sox.

Most of the baseball world doesn't remember that either, which is ridiculous. If Soto makes it on there, I swear, I'll punch a hole in the wall. :angry:

WGN's bull**** propaganda isn't worth punching a hole in the wall.

Remember, the Tribune turds put Fukudome as the All-City RF this year. Anyone who thinks "Fuku" is a better player than Jermaine Dye has obviously consumed massive quantities of crack cocaine.

Anyone who think Geovany Soto is the best catcher in Chicago history is a damn fool. He isn't even the best catcher in Chicago in 2008. Fisk is an absolutely no-brainer.

Brian26
09-06-2008, 02:04 PM
My Lineup
1b - Dick Allen
2b - Nellie Fox
3b - Robin Ventura
ss - Luke Appling
lf - Minnie Minoso
cf - Joe Jackson
rf - Harold Baines
rhp - Ted Lyons
lhp - Billy Pierce
relief - Bobby Thigpen
C - Fisk
DH - Frank Thomas
Manager - Ozzie

Great lineup, but this justifies why a survey like this is such a complete waste of time. How many people voting on this with a computer will recognize the achievements of these players from 50, 75 or 90 years ago? Instead, your going to see votes for players from the last decade that don't deserved to be mentioned in the same breath.

Rounding_Third
09-06-2008, 02:08 PM
I couldn't think of a good CF we had so I was forced to go with Chet Lemon...dammit, I should have chosen Jungle Jim Rivera. The only Cub I went with was Maddux as a RHP.

@#$@!!! I forgot about Rivera, too. I chose Ken Berry.

guillen4life13
09-06-2008, 05:48 PM
I put:

C Fisk
1B Thomas
2B Collins
3B Ventura
SS Appling (I was very close to giving this to Banks but they were very different styled hitters, and Appling was probably the better fielder).
LF Minnie
CF Rowand (this is a garbage pick, I know, but at least I didn't say Anderson)
RF Dye
DH Baines
RHP Cicotte
LHP Pierce
RP Gossage
MGR La Russa

LITTLE NELL
09-06-2008, 06:18 PM
@#$@!!! I forgot about Rivera, too. I chose Ken Berry.
The Sox have had real good center fielders in my lifetime, the problem is not one spent a considerable amount of time with the Sox. I'm going to go with Jim Landis with Lemon a close second. The situation is the same for the Flubs.

slavko
09-06-2008, 07:42 PM
The Sox have had real good center fielders in my lifetime, the problem is not one spent a considerable amount of time with the Sox. I'm going to go with Jim Landis with Lemon a close second. The situation is the same for the Flubs.

I remember Rivera as a RF, confirmed by baseball-reference.com; he did play mostly CF in 52-53. Landis was the main CF of that era.

As goes Kiki Cuyler, (Kiki was a cruel nickname for a stammerer named Cuyler), he played mostly corner OF. Hack Wilson was the CF.