PDA

View Full Version : ESPN 1000's Bruce Levines reporst Quentin out for Year

Pages : [1] 2 3

FoulTerritory
09-04-2008, 08:25 AM
Says Quentin's wrist is "not getting better" and thus the Sox have long term concerns. :(:

As far as Crede, I think at this point I'd rather have Uribe at 3rd anyways -- but not sure if the Sox can weather Quentin missing serious time during this stretch run, especially with the pitching being hit or miss lately.

Chez
09-04-2008, 08:29 AM
There was discussion about this in Mark Gonzales' game story this morning in the Tribune. Not good. Not good at all. Sounds like Quentin is out for the Angels series (at a minimum). Junior (if healthy) in left? B.A. in center and Swisher to left?

skottyj242
09-04-2008, 08:29 AM
At least we still have Toby Hall. He can play left and hit for power.

MsSoxVixen22
09-04-2008, 08:31 AM
****! Let's hope TCQ isn't out that long. We've faired well w/out him in the past. Let's hope Dye, Ramirez and the rest of the guys can keep it going and PK needs to step it up!

FedEx227
09-04-2008, 08:32 AM
There was discussion about this in Mark Gonzales' game story this morning in the Tribune. Not good. Not good at all. Sounds like Quentin is out for the Angels series (at a minimum). Junior (if healthy) in left? B.A. in center and Swisher to left?

I'm looking more towards Junior in right (where he was playing in Cincy), Anderson in CF and Swisher in Left.

oeo
09-04-2008, 08:33 AM
I'm looking more towards Junior in right (where he was playing in Cincy), Anderson in CF and Swisher in Left.

And bench Dye?

Junior isn't even healthy right now, either. It should be Anderson and Swisher right now, but I'm already seeing images of Owens.

Marqhead
09-04-2008, 08:35 AM
Should be Swish, BA, Dye in that order.

Griff pinch hit/DH.

Get well soon TCQ!

Frater Perdurabo
09-04-2008, 08:35 AM
This is not good news. I would have him rest during the Angels series.

Go with Swisher in left and BA in CF (for defense) and count on Paulie and Thome to pick up the slack with the bat. Paulie has been hot for the last month, generally hits well in September, generally hits well at the Cell, and has a history of doing well in important games against the Angels. Thome has been hitting well since June and historically is pretty good in September. I would also strategically use Josh Fields against LHP in pinch-hitting spots. He's pretty bad against RHP but destroys LHP. Meanwhile, Griffey is pretty good against RHP but bad against LHP.

Given that the Sox have PH options on the bench and Paulie and Thome are hot, I think they can weather a short-term loss of Quentin.

oeo
09-04-2008, 08:37 AM
This is not good news. I would have him rest during the Angels series.

Go with Swisher in left and BA in CF (for defense) and count on Paulie and Thome to pick up the slack with the bat. Paulie has been hot for the last month, generally hits well in September, generally hits well at the Cell, and has a history of doing well in important games against the Angels. Thome has been hitting well since June and historically is pretty good in September. I would also strategically use Josh Fields against LHP in pinch-hitting spots. He's pretty bad against RHP but destroys LHP.

The one thing Paulie hasn't done yet is get his power stroke back. Now would be a great time for that.

Frater Perdurabo
09-04-2008, 08:39 AM
The one thing Paulie hasn't done yet is get his power stroke back. Now would be a great time for that.

He always hits better and for more power at the Cell. Look at me being the aPaulogist! :D:

aryzner
09-04-2008, 08:42 AM
He always hits better and for more power at the Cell. Look at me being the aPaulogist! :D:
Let us hope that the Konerko-meter skyrockets from here on out!

Frater Perdurabo
09-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Let us hope that the Konerko-meter skyrockets from here on out!

Amen!

oeo
09-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Is the injury his forearm or wrist? Quite a bit of difference.

Sockinchisox
09-04-2008, 09:01 AM
That's odd, the Sun-Times says Ozzie got good reports on them and felt they could be back by Friday.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1144121,CST-SPT-soxnt04.article

The Immigrant
09-04-2008, 09:03 AM
Is the injury his forearm or wrist? Quite a bit of difference.

Sore forearm near his wrist, whatever that means. Don't be surprised to see him play this weekend.

FoulTerritory
09-04-2008, 09:14 AM
That's odd, the Sun-Times says Ozzie got good reports on them and felt they could be back by Friday.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1144121,CST-SPT-soxnt04.article

Yeah, I saw that, so who knows. Olney was on Mike and Mike acting like he had the skinny on the situation (and he did say "wrist"), but he's had moments of hyperbole before.

I do hope the Sox don't rush him back into the lineup though.

beasly213
09-04-2008, 09:16 AM

Hmm that is odd. Let's hope the Sun-Times is telling the truth. :cool:

doublem23
09-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Says Quentin's wrist is "not getting better" and thus the Sox have long term concerns. :(:

Does he mean long-term as in the rest of this year or long-term as in this could be a career-long problem?

Ask Derrek Lee what happens to your power when you sustain a wrist injury.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/l/leede02.shtml

oeo
09-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Does he mean long-term as in the rest of this year or long-term as in this could be a career-long problem?

Ask Derrek Lee what happens to your power when you sustain a wrist injury.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/l/leede02.shtml

Lee fractured his wrist. All that's been reported is soreness in Quentin's case...sounds like wear and tear of a long season.

Besides, is Olney the only one that said it's his wrist?

kevingrt
09-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Well if TCQ is out for about a week or so it would be time for someone to step up big on this team such as a Swish, Griff, or the often maligned Brian Anderson. I would love to see Anderson get some significant playing time if TCQ is out at all. Now whether Ozzie allows that is another thing. I bet we see a lot of JO if TCQ is not playing.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Hmm that is odd. Let's hope the Sun-Times is telling the truth. :cool:

Without the Moron there to tell us right or wrong, how ever will we know?

No teal needed or implied.

White City
09-04-2008, 10:22 AM
No TCQ, and Jerry Owens starting every day in centerfield?

It's like April in September! At least, the April we almost had if not for Owens' providential injury.

Noneck
09-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Quentin should sit until he is 100%. Jr. and Anderson have to fill his hole now. Owens should NEVER get another start this year, he wasn't good enough to make the team and is not good enough now.

voodoochile
09-04-2008, 10:32 AM

If TCQ isn't playing for any length of time they need to replace his firepower as well as they can.

Dye RF
Griffey CF
Swish LF

kittle42
09-04-2008, 10:34 AM
If TCQ isn't playing for any length of time they need to replace his firepower as well as they can.

Dye RF
Griffey CF
Swish LF

Agreed. This is not the time for the Brian Anderson or Jerry Owens shows to get off and running. This is also part of the reason they got Griffey in the first place.

Huisj
09-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Agreed. This is not the time for the Brian Anderson or Jerry Owens shows to get off and running. This is also part of the reason they got Griffey in the first place.

As much as Griffey hasn't exactly been lights out since he got here, maybe this is the time for him to step up and make an impact. That would be huge if he can. I think he should be the first choice to replace TCQ in the lineup on a regular basis if he's out for a bit.

oeo
09-04-2008, 10:45 AM

Dye RF
Griffey CF
Swish LF

Griffey can handle LF. Swisher should be playing CF.

whitesox901
09-04-2008, 10:47 AM

Dye RF
Griffey CF
Swish LF

no doubt, especially with Weaver pitching tommarow, im sure we can slug some runs off of him easily

I_Liked_Manuel
09-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Quentin should sit until he is 100%. Jr. and Anderson have to fill his hole now.

I disagree - to me this hinges on whether there are any long-term issues with TCQ playing hurt. If TCQ could do some serious long-term damage to his arm by playing hurt, then by all means he should sit. If on the other hand, the forearm/wrist is sore and it's just wear and tear over the course of the season - he better be in that lineup - and I'd imagine he feels the same way too. You don't play 140+ games, get in a tight pennant race, and then sit because you're sore.

voodoochile
09-04-2008, 10:49 AM

That's fine too.

Iwritecode
09-04-2008, 10:51 AM
no doubt, especially with Weaver pitching tommarow, im sure we can slug some runs off of him easily

No Weaver tomorrow.

Noneck
09-04-2008, 10:58 AM
I disagree - to me this hinges on whether there are any long-term issues with TCQ playing hurt. If TCQ could do some serious long-term damage to his arm by playing hurt, then by all means he should sit. If on the other hand, the forearm/wrist is sore and it's just wear and tear over the course of the season - he better be in that lineup - and I'd imagine he feels the same way too. You don't play 140+ games, get in a tight pennant race, and then sit because you're sore.
Maybe you are right, A 75% Quentin may be better than a 100% Jr. or Anderson, as long as playing doesn't affect his future.

PolishPower83
09-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Agreed. This is also part of the reason they got Griffey in the first place.

You hit the nail on the head. I remember Kenny and Ozzie talking about expecting Griffey to make an impact if one of the regular outfielders got a little dinged up. This could turn out to be another brilliant move even if all we get out of Junior is a couple HUGE weeks.

Foulke You
09-04-2008, 11:00 AM

Dye RF
Griffey CF
Swish LF
I agree. Griffey needs to be in that lineup if Quentin is out. We need the extra pop in the lineup. Griffey may not be stroking the ball out of the park (yet) but he has been hitting much better lately and has had more than his share of base hits, doubles, and walks in key situations. He brings presence to the lineup.

kevingrt
09-04-2008, 11:06 AM
You hit the nail on the head. I remember Kenny and Ozzie talking about expecting Griffey to make an impact if one of the regular outfielders got a little dinged up. This could turn out to be another brilliant move even if all we get out of Junior is a couple HUGE weeks.

Well we will definitely need Mr. Griffey here at the Cell for the next week.

Lip Man 1
09-04-2008, 11:45 AM
The Quentin situation is very strange to me. Perhaps someone else can clarify. The Sox have been very quiet on this one.
Mark Gonzales in his story today says that Quentin is out until at least the Toronto series and may be gone longer then that.

Joe Cowley in his story today says both Quentin and Griffey have progressed enough that they may be in the lineup Friday or at least this weekend.

Obviously both writers can't be correct....so what is going on here?

Lip

beasly213
09-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Shouldn't this thread be in What's the Score?

I mean nothing has been confirmed yet and we're already planning senarious for a Sox lineup without TCQ. Heaven knows ESPN has been wrong plenty of times before and Ozzie said he expects TCQ to be able to play in the series against the Angels.

JB98
09-04-2008, 11:58 AM

Agreed. That's what I would do in Quentin's absence as well.

Iwritecode
09-04-2008, 12:03 PM
The Quentin situation is very strange to me. Perhaps someone else can clarify. The Sox have been very quiet on this one.
Mark Gonzales in his story today says that Quentin is out until at least the Toronto series and may be gone longer then that.

Joe Cowley in his story today says both Quentin and Griffey have progressed enough that they may be in the lineup Friday or at least this weekend.

Obviously both writers can't be correct....so what is going on here?

Lip

I can't find the Gonzales story but the Cowley story is based off info from Guillen.

Maybe it's the fact that he's just day-to-day and nobody really knows how he'll feel by gametime tomorrow?

FielderJones
09-04-2008, 12:06 PM
No Weaver tomorrow.

Dustin Moseley (http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=400291). Even better.

thomas35forever
09-04-2008, 12:12 PM
By all means sit Quentin if this has potential long-term effects on his wrist. However, if that's not the case, you need to play him against the Angels. They can afford to sit hit tomorrow with Moseley going for the Halos, but the rest of the series should be a game-time decision.

FedEx227
09-04-2008, 12:29 PM
And bench Dye?

Junior isn't even healthy right now, either. It should be Anderson and Swisher right now, but I'm already seeing images of Owens.

I completely forgot about Dye, my fault.

Swisher/Anderson for the most part, Griffey on certain days.

But yes, visions of Jerry Owens dance through my head.

chisoxmike
09-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Dustin Moseley (http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=400291). Even better.

I don't know about that. These are the types of guys that throw their first career shut out or pitch the longest in the careers against the Sox.

And, if Owens is in the lineup, that will mean automatic loss.

Noneck
09-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Just so everyone knows, if and when Quentin comes back he will busted inside on every pitch, teams will test him. He better be prepared to get hit.

Soxfanspcu11
09-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Quentin should sit until he is 100%. Jr. and Anderson have to fill his hole now. Owens should NEVER get another start this year, he wasn't good enough to make the team and is not good enough now.

Here Here!

Just so everyone knows, if and when Quentin comes back he will busted inside on every pitch, teams will test him. He better be prepared to get hit.

Teams wouldn't really do that really?? They could break his wrist! :redneck

palehozenychicty
09-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Whoever they put out there has to do something.

Saracen
09-04-2008, 01:36 PM

It's his right forearm that is hurt. His left forearm is the one exposed when batting.

Noneck
09-04-2008, 01:41 PM
It's his right forearm that is hurt. His left forearm is the one exposed when batting.
It doesn't matter what wrist or forearm is hurt, he will be busted inside on every pitch.

thedudeabides
09-04-2008, 01:42 PM
I'd really like to get a straight story from the Sox, before I get too worked up about this. It seems we would have heard something by now, if he were to miss a week or two, as Olney and Gonzalez seem to be hinting at.

oeo
09-04-2008, 01:51 PM
It doesn't matter what wrist or forearm is hurt, he will be busted inside on every pitch.

Until he starts turning on everything. Sounds like a dumb plan.

The Immigrant
09-04-2008, 01:54 PM

Um, I'm pretty sure that the league leader in HBP has seen a few inside pitches already.

Noneck
09-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Until he starts turning on everything. Sounds like a dumb plan.

Until he starts turning on everything is correct.

oeo
09-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Until he starts turning on everything is correct.

Which would probably the second AB when he realizes everything is coming in.

Noneck
09-04-2008, 01:58 PM
Hope you are correct.

hi im skot
09-04-2008, 02:17 PM

Quentin has been seeing this all season and has continued to make adjustments.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

DSpivack
09-04-2008, 02:17 PM
People have mentioned Griffey as a temporary replacement, I assume he is healthy and ready to go?

Foulke You
09-04-2008, 02:23 PM
People have mentioned Griffey as a temporary replacement, I assume he is healthy and ready to go?
He had a sore lower back on Monday and Tuesday and was available to pinch hit. Ozzie usually is extra cautious with injured players and gives a player 1 extra day more than they need before bringing him back. With the off day, I'd say there is a very good chance he'll be ready on Friday.

Noneck
09-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Quentin has been seeing this all season and has continued to make adjustments.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I know he has but my point is that teams, especially smart teams like the angels and Scioscia will test Carlos immediately. If Quentin has a weakness it will be found if he is not healthy. I of course hope it will backfire and Quentin turns on the 1st pitch on his hands for 410 footer.

delben91
09-04-2008, 02:47 PM

Hope you are correct.

He'll probably never adjust and the Sox will be doomed FOREVER. :whiner:

turners56
09-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Why are we even listening to Buster Olney? Remember, he's from ESPN...

Hopefully, Carlos will be back by Friday.

I've tried to hit like Quentin before, evidently, my wrist started to hurt on several occasions. The way his stance is set up and his swing give a lot of stress to the hands and wrists.

daveeym
09-04-2008, 03:10 PM
I haven't followed his injury too closely. Have they said how it occurred? From getting hit? Sliding into a base? On a swing or throwing?

turners56
09-04-2008, 03:10 PM
I haven't followed his injury too closely. Have they said how it occurred? From getting hit? Sliding into a base? On a swing or throwing?

Wear and tear. Hawk has been talking about it for 3-4 months now.

kittle42
09-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Wear and tear. Hawk has been talking about it for 3-4 months now.

Which umpire(s) is he blaming it on?

PorkChopExpress
09-04-2008, 03:38 PM

:rolling:

Awesome.

Jimmy Piersall
09-04-2008, 03:50 PM

Time for some forearm protection (armor) a la Barry Bonds.

Lip Man 1
09-04-2008, 05:16 PM
There is a rumor (and I stress that word) on Scott Reifert's blog that according to a nurse, Quentin has left a hospital with his right forearm in a cast. The rumor said out four weeks, possibly caused by slamming his bat down on home plate after a strikeout.

I contacted a member of the organization to ask about this.

The reply that I got was "something's up with him. I heard it wasn't good."

Take it for what it may be worth to you.

Sigh.

Lip

turners56
09-04-2008, 05:18 PM
There is a rumor (and I stress that word) on Scott Reifert's blog that according to a nurse, Quentin has left a hospital with his right forearm in a cast. The rumor said out four weeks, possibly caused by slamming his bat down on home plate after a strikeout.

Sigh.

Lip

****ing A. Right in the thick of a playoff chase. Hopefully, Carlos didn't pull a Zambrano. Ugh. :angry:

turners56
09-04-2008, 05:19 PM

If what Lip said is true, he'll blame it on the home plate umpire for making Carlos mad. :redneck

DickAllen72
09-04-2008, 05:23 PM
Goodbye playoffs. :(:

turners56
09-04-2008, 05:25 PM

The strong word used there was RUMOR. Look at it this way, if Griffey is still healthy, he replaces Quentin. There's only a 200 point difference in OPS.

DickAllen72
09-04-2008, 05:33 PM
The strong word used there was RUMOR.
They wouldn't post it on the internet if it weren't true. :tongue:

EndemicSox
09-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Quentin's swing is about as violent as they come. Rest will probably do his body some good...

turners56
09-04-2008, 05:34 PM
They wouldn't post it on the internet if it weren't true. :tongue:

Who's they?

turners56
09-04-2008, 05:35 PM
Quentin's swing is about as violent as they come. Rest will probably do his body some good...

He should really cut down on those bat flips.

oeo
09-04-2008, 05:35 PM

We'll make the postseason based on whether our SP and bullpen can stand up to the task. Quentin is huge to this team, but with or without him, it's our pitching that will make or break the season.

And let's be honest, it's not like the Twins look like a very good team right now...they look worse than us.

Konerko05
09-04-2008, 05:36 PM

Where is this rumor located? I can't seem to find it.

turners56
09-04-2008, 05:36 PM

Same here.

oeo
09-04-2008, 05:37 PM

In the comments of the latest entry, near the bottom.

turners56
09-04-2008, 05:41 PM
In the comments of the latest entry, near the bottom.

I see it. Don't know if that's a very trustworthy source though.

oeo
09-04-2008, 05:43 PM

Yeah, we'll see. Considering the conflicting reports and the overall hush, hush of the Sox, I don't think the news will be good. Hopefully I'm wrong.

daveeym
09-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Well if the rumor is true I'm sure glad he's so intense.

Konerko05
09-04-2008, 05:44 PM

Yeah, it wasn't even first hand.

Lip's post does scare me though. I do not have a good feeling about this.

thomas35forever
09-04-2008, 05:56 PM
As someone on the comments page of Reifert's blog said, if this is true, then it is a good thing we added Griffey to our roster. Yes he's past his prime and nowhere near the hitter or fielder he once was, but I'll take him over Jerry Owens anyday out there.

turners56
09-04-2008, 05:57 PM
As someone on the comments page of Reifert's blog said, if this is true, then it is a good thing we added Griffey to our roster. Yes he's past his prime and nowhere near the hitter or fielder he once was, but I'll take him over Jerry Owens anyday out there.

Left field is also the easiest of the 3 outfield positions. I'm sure Griffey can handle left ok. Quentin's a very average left fielder anyways.

delben91
09-04-2008, 06:07 PM
We'll make the postseason based on whether our SP and bullpen can stand up to the task. Quentin is huge to this team, but with or without him, it's our pitching that will make or break the season.

And let's be honest, it's not like the Twins look like a very good team right now...they look worse than us.

Git rid of your logic in here. We need to all be busy being miserable and despairing the fact that we're going to be fans of the most hopeless of all hopeless franchises!!! :whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner:

KyWhiSoxFan
09-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Git rid of your logic in here. We need to all be busy being miserable and despairing the fact that we're going to be fans of the most hopeless of all hopeless franchises!!! :whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner:

Why would we be fans of the Cubs?

turners56
09-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Well if the rumor is true I'm sure glad he's so intense.

The Cubs fans say the same about the other Carlos on the other side of town.

Noneck
09-04-2008, 06:21 PM

Sigh.

Lip

If this is true what is the point of not releasing this information? Is it because it may affect ticket sales for the few remaining home games, which must be close to sold out anyway. I just don't get why this info wouldn't be released, If someone knows why, Please enlighten me.

DickAllen72
09-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Who's they?
The Ministry of Truth.

Lip Man 1
09-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Noneck:

I just pass along what I was told from my source. I trust them. I don't draw any conclusions at this point yet. The Sox have always been pretty good about injury news and situations.

The longer this goes without being confirmed by a "mainstream" media source the better I feel but there are always extenuating circumstances (I don't think tickets being sold is one of them however...) If something is in fact wrong, they may be waiting on a second opinion, may be trying to find out a treatment schedule and so forth. There could be a lot of reasons.

Let's just hope the rumor is wrong.

Lip

chisoxmike
09-04-2008, 06:34 PM

Sigh.

Lip

:anon:

Brian26
09-04-2008, 06:38 PM
The strong word used there was RUMOR. Look at it this way, if Griffey is still healthy, he replaces Quentin. There's only a 200 point difference in OPS.

No need for teal there.

Noneck
09-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Noneck:

I just pass along what I was told from my source. I trust them. I don't draw any conclusions at this point yet. The Sox have always been pretty good about injury news and situations.

The longer this goes without being confirmed by a "mainstream" media source the better I feel but there are always extenuating circumstances (I don't think tickets being sold is one of them however...) If something is in fact wrong, they may be waiting on a second opinion, may be trying to find out a treatment schedule and so forth. There could be a lot of reasons.

Let's just hope the rumor is wrong.

Lip

Lip,

I am not doubting you, I never have and never will. I am just curious about why its not out in public. If it was 2nd opinion, treatment etc. why would it be hushed up? It makes no sense.

turners56
09-04-2008, 06:43 PM
No need for teal there.

Are you sure? :scratch:

Lip Man 1
09-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Because (again if this were true) the Sox may be waiting for ALL of the facts to come in before talking to the press.

There's nothing worse then being asked a question and not being able to answer it, to have to say "we don't know."

They'd rather wait 24 hours and have all the answers then rush to get it out before having all the information.

Lip

Noneck
09-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Because (again if this were true) the Sox may be waiting for ALL of the facts to come in before talking to the press.

There's nothing worse then being asked a question and not being able to answer it, to have to say "we don't know."

They'd rather wait 24 hours and have all the answers then rush to get it out before having all the information.

Lip

Fair enough. I guess I am just trying all means to not want to believe this. Thanks again Lip.

Rdy2PlayBall
09-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Well... there goes the MVp chances. How the hell can you get it when your sitting? :scratch: This is really, really bad for the Sox. Lets hope Giffey's feat don't touch the field during all this. :rolleyes:

Lip Man 1
09-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Folks:

Again let's remember this is an unconfirmed rumor at this point. There is some circumstantial evidence that indicates something may be going on with him but let's wait for the facts one way or another. Remember this is also an off day as well and everyone may not be around.

Lip

thomas35forever
09-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Well... there goes the MVp chances. How the hell can you get it when your sitting? :scratch: This is really, really bad for the Sox. Lets hope Giffey's feat don't touch the field during all this. :rolleyes:
Who do you want? BA? Jerry Owens? I say no to both.

guillensdisciple
09-04-2008, 07:13 PM
We can survive without Quentin it will just mean added pressure on the veteran players. This is actually the perfect time to allow Ramirez to hit in a higher spot in the order. He has already done great things hitting in the lower part of the order. Imagine if he gets a chance to hit in the middle or top where he will get more chances to drive people in.

Brian26
09-04-2008, 07:22 PM

No need for teal there.

Are you sure? :scratch:

Do you understand what teal means? Teal implies sarcasm. So you're sarcastically saying there's only a 200 point difference in OPS.

Actual OPS as of 9/3/08:

TCQ: .965
Jr: .787

Difference of .178...about 200 points. Therefore, no teal needed, or change your statement to:

"Only a 20 point difference in OPS."

:shrug: maybe I'm missing something here.

Noneck
09-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Who do you want? BA? Jerry Owens? I say no to both.
I want Jr. then Anderson. I don't want Owens just like the Sox didn't till call ups. He's a pinch runner only unless, 2 of the 4 go down, Anderson, Jr., Swish, Dye.

JLong
09-04-2008, 08:03 PM
I would say Quentin going down for the rest of the season would be just about the worst possible thing to happen to the Sox. This does not mean we can't overcome it, however.

Sockinchisox
09-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Cowley updating saying he has a Sox source saying they tested Quentin's arm and wrist and that things are "good so far". If they get the thumbs up tomorrow, he's going to be playing tomorrow night. So it looks like the cast stuff was bogus.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1146054,sox090508.article

SOXSINCE'70
09-04-2008, 08:26 PM

I've made this mistake before.I've written the Twinkies off for dead only to see them come back,win 10 of 12 and make themselves a force.I'll say this once: I don't care how bad the twinkies look,DON'T TAKE THEM LIGHTLY!!

chisoxmike
09-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Cowley updating saying he has a Sox source saying they tested Quentin's arm and wrist and that things are "good so far". If they get the thumbs up tomorrow, he's going to be playing tomorrow night. So it looks like the cast stuff was bogus.

This is all making me very http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/255/worriedhb2az8.gif

Konerko05
09-04-2008, 08:32 PM

Best news I've heard regarding the situation. So we can pretty much rule out the Quentin's arm in cast rumor. This article also specifically states the soreness stemming from the HBP a couple weeks ago.

oeo
09-04-2008, 08:33 PM
I've made this mistake before.I've written the Twinkies off for dead only to see them come back,win 10 of 12 and make themselves a force.I'll say this once: I don't care how bad the twinkies look,DON'T TAKE THEM LIGHTLY!!

I said they look like ****, I didn't write them off.

Besides, this Twins team is not like the ones of the past. They're depending on an entirely inexperienced rotation, their bullpen isn't nearly as good, and their defense has been pretty terrible for awhile now, too. This isn't the same as the Twins teams of the past with Santana/Radke/Silva in the rotation, a lights out bullpen, and a team that doesn't beat itself.

So go ahead and compare today to what they've done in the past, but the similarities are few and far between.

Konerko05
09-04-2008, 08:40 PM

Besides, this Twins team is not like the ones of the past. They're depending on an entirely inexperienced rotation, their bullpen isn't nearly as good, and their defense has been pretty terrible for awhile now, too. This isn't the same as the Twins teams of the past with Santana/Radke/Silva in the rotation, a lights out bullpen, and a team that doesn't beat itself.

So go ahead and compare today to what they've done in the past, but the similarities are few and far between.

The most encouraging thing about the Twins possibly collapsing is Nathan has blown the last 3 out of 4 save opportunities.

Noneck
09-04-2008, 08:50 PM

I agree with your analysis and because of the inexperience I have seen the collar tightening lately.

turners56
09-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Do you understand what teal means? Teal implies sarcasm. So you're sarcastically saying there's only a 200 point difference in OPS.

Actual OPS as of 9/3/08:

TCQ: .965
Jr: .787

Difference of .178...about 200 points. Therefore, no teal needed, or change your statement to:

"Only a 20 point difference in OPS."

:shrug: maybe I'm missing something here.

I was acting like a .200 point differential didn't mean anything. Thus, the teal. So yeah, I think you misunderstood or I'm just hard to understand.

turners56
09-04-2008, 09:00 PM

Trolls are stupid. Thank god that guy was just a trollin' Cubs fan.

Lip Man 1
09-04-2008, 09:02 PM
That's very, VERY good news!

Hope it proves to be true.

Still very strange how Gonzales and Merkin printed comments along the lines of 'he could be out awhile' while Cowley said the complete opposite.

Nice to see that Joe may be right for once (although that still doesn't excuse his conduct at WSI! LOL)

Lip

guillensdisciple
09-04-2008, 09:08 PM
\He better be fine, CQ is the Sox version of Albert Pujols, Chase Utley, David Wright.

Basically a franchise player that will be leading the sox for a while, barring injuries of course.

Oh and Ramirez is a keeper too, they should move him up in the order after this year, so as to keep the chemistry this year and help the team next year.

wxkid23
09-04-2008, 10:11 PM
That is some great news on Quentin if true!!! :D:

If he is back by this weekend it will be time for the dancing banana

Gammons Peter
09-04-2008, 10:21 PM
I was acting like a .200 point differential didn't mean anything. Thus, the teal. So yeah, I think you misunderstood or I'm just hard to understand.

just another reason to stop using teal. Teal = Lame.

gr8mexico
09-04-2008, 11:12 PM
\He better be fine, CQ is the Sox version of Albert Pujols, Chase Utley, David Wright.

Basically a franchise player that will be leading the sox for a while, barring injuries of course.

Oh and Ramirez is a keeper too, they should move him up in the order after this year, so as to keep the chemistry this year and help the team next year.
If the Sox could get a true leadoff hitter like Brian Roberts then you could move Ramirez up to the 2 spot. He would see a crap load of fastballs and make this team look amazing

pczarapa
09-04-2008, 11:13 PM

As far as Crede, I think at this point I'd rather have Uribe at 3rd anyways -- but not sure if the Sox can weather Quentin missing serious time during this stretch run, especially with the pitching being hit or miss lately.

Let's just hope Boone Logan doesn't see the field to make things worse

RockJock07
09-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Per Rotoworld,

Quentin (forearm) could return to the lineup Friday, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.Quentin was examined Wednesday, and received a good report, so it looks like he is going to make a speedy recovery.

I have Carlos on my fantasy team and that was in the news section. I think Carlos is fine or well enough to play at least, in my experience rotoworld is pretty legit.

IronFisk
09-05-2008, 12:44 AM

Damn.

doublem23
09-05-2008, 12:59 AM

You = Lame.

I'm kidding.

Gammons Peter
09-05-2008, 08:04 AM
Yes, you and the use of teal are very "clever"

skottyj242
09-05-2008, 10:51 AM
Why would Owens play full time? He can't be on the playoff roster can he? It doesn't make sense that they would play him only to hope for Quentin to come back October first. I have a feeling he's fine but I would want Swisher/Junior/BA to rotate between center and left. Paulie needs to step up big time which I have a feeling he will do.

EvilJester99
09-05-2008, 11:40 AM
the "breaking news" headline on the sun times site says "MRI results in on Quentin, Sox mum on outlook"

sun times (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/index.html)

soltrain21
09-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Tell us what the hell is wrong, White Sox.

hi im skot
the "breaking news" headline on the sun times site says "MRI results in on Quentin, Sox mum on outlook"

So, there's not really a story here?

Thanks, Sun Times!

sox1970

It's broken.

soltrain21
09-05-2008, 11:46 AM
It's broken.

Source?

PorkChopExpress
09-05-2008, 11:46 AM
It's broken.

The news or the wrist?

hawkjt
09-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Are you saying that Carlos Quentins arm is broken?
Is that on good authority? Please say you are joking.

Gammons Peter
09-05-2008, 11:48 AM
It's broken.

I hope that was meant to be teal

hi im skot
09-05-2008, 11:48 AM
It's broken.

:?:

sox1970
09-05-2008, 11:50 AM
I hope that was meant to be teal

Yeah, I hope it's not. The rumor thing from Reifert's blog, and this news doesn't add up to me thinking this is going to turn out well.

Gammons Peter
09-05-2008, 11:51 AM
I don't understand all the secrecy...:wink:they already have our playoff money

hi im skot
09-05-2008, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I hope it's not. The rumor thing from Reifert's blog, and this news doesn't add up to me thinking this is going to turn out well.

It's a user comment from a blog. Why should we even give that a second thought?

Princess Dye
09-05-2008, 11:54 AM
sox1970 do not do that to me!!

sox1970
It's a user comment from a blog. Why should we even give that a second thought?

Yeah, I know. I just have a bad feeling about this one.

Lip Man 1
Anything is possible but remember the Sox play this evening and the usual procedure for them is to make announcements in the afternoon before game time.

He could still be hurt and hurt badly but I wouldn't read a lot in the Sun-Times headline. First it's the sensationalistic approach they always use and two the Sox don't say anything regarding injuries during the day anyway.

Lip

Gammons Peter
09-05-2008, 12:00 PM

Gammons Peter
09-05-2008, 12:01 PM
damn it

CHISOXFAN13
09-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Jesse Rogers just reported it may be a fractured wrist.

hawkjt
09-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Jessie rogers of the Score just reported that ''mulitple sources are telling us there could be a fracture in the wrist.''

No confirmation from the Sox...yet.

Darn.

Gammons Peter
09-05-2008, 12:03 PM
multiple sources.........****

Noneck
09-05-2008, 12:03 PM
Jesse Rogers just reported it may be a fractured wrist.

I heard Rogers also, I believe he said 4 sources confirmed the wrist is fractured

Gammons Peter
09-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Well, they're just going to have to suck it up and fight a little harder. Konerko needs to step it up, Griff too

kidmccarthy
09-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Well, once again Kenny was smart. We all doubted the Jr. trade. Now we know why he is here. Lets hope he can get red hot this month, and help ease the pain that the MVP of the AL might be on the shelf until the playoffs.

Lip Man 1
09-05-2008, 12:08 PM
I'm completely confused at this point in time and apparently the media is as well based on their reports (he's O.K. could play Friday, no he isn't out a month...)

Kind of reminds me of spring 2001 when Sox pitchers were dropping left and right, MRI's were supposedly good yet guys couldn't pitch.

Hey maybe it's a labrum!

We'll find out soon enough I guess.

Lip

kobo
09-05-2008, 12:08 PM
If his wrist is fractured, this sucks. Not only does this affect the rest of this season this could affect TCQ's career. Horrible news, if true.

delben91
09-05-2008, 12:09 PM
We should've kept Chris Carter. :(:

kidmccarthy
09-05-2008, 12:10 PM
We should've kept Chris Carter. :(:

What a stupid comment. Get out of here:dtroll:

Noneck
09-05-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm completely confused at this point in time and apparently the media is as well based on their reports (he's O.K. could play Friday, no he isn't out a month...)

Kind of reminds me of spring 2001 when Sox pitchers were dropping left and right, MRI's were supposedly good yet guys couldn't pitch.

Hey maybe it's a labrum!

We'll find out soon enough I guess.

Lip

Lip,

You don't believe the Rogers report? Do you think there is hope?

Foulke You
09-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Well, once again Kenny was smart. We all doubted the Jr. trade. Now we know why he is here. Lets hope he can get red hot this month, and help ease the pain that the MVP of the AL might be on the shelf until the playoffs.
That Griffey trade could end up being huge now if Quentin is out for any length of time. Proof that you can never have too much depth on your club. I hope Q is ok though. We still might win the division without him but it will be hard to win a World Series without him.

oeo
09-05-2008, 12:13 PM
What a stupid comment. Get out of here:dtroll:

It's called sarcasm.

Well, I'm more upset that this could drastically hurt his future more than him being out the rest of this season. This sucks. :(:

Princess Dye
09-05-2008, 12:15 PM
That Griffey trade could end up being huge now if Quentin is out for any length of time. Proof that you can never have too much depth on your club. I hope Q is ok though. We still might win the division without him but it will be hard to win a World Series without him.

Very good point - everyone ripped that trade w/o stopping to think how weak our bench was. Even at OF. I dont consider Brian Anderson an everyday offensive player for a team up 1.5 games. And not blessed w/ tons of pitching.

That is unless you have one heck of a hitting infield and catcher. Cant have BA out there

kittle42
09-05-2008, 12:15 PM
Our best player possibly out for an extended period of time? We're ****ed.

oeo
09-05-2008, 12:16 PM

Once again, it's our pitching that will make or break the season, with or without Quentin.

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, look at what happened to Derrek Lee's power after he fractured his wrist. That is what I'm worried about.

kidmccarthy
It's called sarcasm.

Well, I'm more upset that this could drastically hurt his future more than him being out the rest of this season. This sucks. :(:

No sarcasm is intended to show wit, that comment showed a complete lack-thereof. Carlos is our MVP, Carter has done nothing yet.

delben91

Not that I disagree with your statement, because I do agree.

That said, I think the Sox would be more ****ed if it was another starting pitcher that went down.

Just saying.

delben91
09-05-2008, 12:18 PM
No sarcasm is intended to show wit, that comment showed a complete lack-thereof. Carlos is our MVP, Carter has done nothing yet.

It's called sarcasm.

Holy crap, I'm sorry I tried to bring some levity to the situation. Just last week we had a monster thread debating whether the Quentin/Carter trade was actually an even swap, which I thought was absurd.

My mistake, I'll go ban myself now. :happybday

oeo
09-05-2008, 12:18 PM

Exactly, so who in their right mind would think he was serious?

itsnotrequired
09-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Chris Carter can palm a medicine ball.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Paulie's had all season to rest up. Time to go on a tear.

We need Jr to hit up to his potential - and BA to also pick it up.

Gonna be an interesting 23 games.

kidmccarthy
09-05-2008, 12:22 PM
delben, its cool, im just a little testy right now. I think we all have reason to be on edge.

Martinigirl
09-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Didn't Longoria have a wrist fracture and wasn't even out a month?

(Clearly I know that this would be the exception to the rule but I am trying to find anything to cling to if the report is true).

delben91
09-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Lip,

You don't believe the Rogers report? Do you think there is hope?

Wasn't Rogers the one that said he'd confirmed the Sox had acquired John Lannan?

Let's wait for something official before we all freak out.

:bandance::happybday:)

delben91
09-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Chris Carter can palm a medicine ball.

He studied for years under Erstad. :o:

kittle42
09-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Wasn't Rogers the one that said he'd confirmed the Sox had acquired John Lanney?

Is he the offspring of John Lannan and John Lackey?

doublem23
09-05-2008, 12:30 PM

Yeah, but my friend who is a Rays fan said that Longoria has a "best possible scenario" fracture.

Get well, soon, TCQ... Hope to see you mashing some more dingers in 2009. :(:

delben91

Exactly.

Princess Dye

Deciding to name their child John would be the definition of a crapshoot.

kittle42
09-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Hope to see you mashing some more dingers in 2009. :(:

Hey, *I'm* supposed to be the negative one!

thedudeabides
09-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Wasn't Rogers the one that said he'd confirmed the Sox had acquired John Lannan?

Let's wait for something official before we all freak out.

:bandance::happybday:)

I'm on your team.

All of these reports seem a little odd, and the score has been wrong a whole bunch of times. I've gotten worked up over nothing before. I will wait until there is something official before I freak out.

doublem23
09-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Hey, *I'm* supposed to be the negative one!

Not right now... The only thing I got going for me is that there's no official word yet... I doubt any member of the Chicago sports media could predict rain correctly if they were standing in a monsoon.

But if Carlos is gone for this season, us = almost certainly boned.

Lip Man 1
09-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Noneck:

I don't know what to think. Like I said the reports have been so wildly different.

I hope for the best, I expect the worst, these are the White Sox remember.

It's not like the Sox haven't had postseason chances gutted before by freak injuries at the wrong times. The names of Dick Donovan, Sherm Lollar, Joe Cunningham, Bill Melton, Maggs Ordonez and Frank Thomas come to mind.

Lip

kittle42
09-05-2008, 12:42 PM
But if Carlos is gone for this season, us = almost certainly boned.

I agree, unless Griffey finds a time machine.

Princess Dye
09-05-2008, 12:43 PM
What Griffey has needed:

Maybe not just a time machine. It may be that this gets him the motivation that he hasnt had in years. A spot will be his on a contending team for several weeks. It will be his completely and he can just sit back and hit.

Ideally.

CHISOXFAN13
09-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Do we even know if Griffey is healthy?

09-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Noneck:

I don't know what to think. Like I said the reports have been so wildly different.

It's not like the Sox haven't had postseason chances gutted before by freak injuries at the wrong times. The names of Dick Donovan, Sherm Lollar, Joe Cunningham, Bill Melton, Maggs Ordonez and Frank Thomas come to mind.

Lip

That's one way to look at it.

Here's another. Remember deals can still be made. There are a lot of very useful outfielders who have cleared waivers and could help. They don't have an open spot on the 40 man but that's easily resolved by shuffling someone to the 60 day DL.

One thing to be sure of. Like him or not, with Williams seeing his team this close to winning the division, he will do everything possible to make sure they get there.

09-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Do we even know if Griffey is healthy?

That's a good point, he supposedly can play this weekend but backs are funny things as we all know.

Lots of variables in play here.

DeadMoney
09-05-2008, 12:50 PM

(Clearly I know that this would be the exception to the rule but I am trying to find anything to cling to if the report is true).

Longoria went out on August 8 and isn't back yet.

Last night, word was that he has not been able to swing a bat consistently, and that he may be out a lot longer than expected. I just read that he's going to try and swing a broom stick (again) tomorrow. So, who knows ... but, even if it's a similar injury with Quentin, he's out for the rest of the year.

Martinigirl
09-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Longoria went out on August 8 and isn't back yet.

Last night, word was that he has not been able to swing a bat consistently, and that he may be out a lot longer than expected. I just read that he's going to try and swing a broom stick (again) tomorrow. So, who knows ... but, even if it's a similar injury with Quentin, he's out for the rest of the year.

I am sorry, I thought I heard a couple of weeks ago he was about to come back.

Well so much for my midly comforting delusion.

Noneck
09-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Noneck:

Lip

I have been thinking the exact same thing.

kittle42
09-05-2008, 12:59 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1147105,quentin090508.article

Not good, as the updates, while not definitive, are heading in the wrong direction.

The Immigrant
Cowley just changed his tune.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1147105,quentin090508.article

kruzer31
Bruce Levine reporting he is out for the year with a broken bone just now

UofCSoxFan
Once again, it's our pitching that will make or break the season, with or without Quentin.

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, look at what happened to Derrek Lee's power after he fractured his wrist. That is what I'm worried about.

Soriano has come back OK it seems but that was more his hand now that I think about it.

I played with a guy in college that started as a freshman at a major DI program, broke his rest, and couldn't cut it at that level so transfered to a DIII school. It definitely is a long term concern.

This sucks.

It does show how tough Q is being able to play through this.

Dick Allen
09-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Somebody please shoot me.

kittle42
09-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Well, I'm not quite ready to give up on the division, but I am just about ready to wave the playoff white flag. Actually, I was probably ready to do that anyway thanks to the pitching!

kruzer31
09-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Yes, I heard it again on ESPN 1000 just now, Bruce Levine has reported Chicago White Sox Outfielder Carlos Quentin will mist the rest of the season with a broken bone in his wrist area.

This is the darkest day in Chicago since Mayor Washington passed away.

Martinigirl
09-05-2008, 01:07 PM

kruzer31
09-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Just heard it on ESPN 1000, Carlos is out for the year with a broken bone in his wrist. A sad day for White Sox baseball

Jeff

Jimmy Piersall
09-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Somebody please shoot me.

Son of bitch...who was the last guy who hit Carlos,anybody know ? :angry:

cbotnyse
you've got to be ****ing kidding me

kevingrt
Well the news does not get much worse than that for the rest of the season.

kevingrt
09-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Who steps it up now BA or Griffey?

And I really wanted TCQ to be MVP. So much for that.

EMachine10
09-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Oy.

DaSox_05
09-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Is there anything on the whitesox website cuz I dont see anything. I am extremely PO'd right now. I just want the truth.

Jimmy Piersall
09-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Well, I'm not quite ready to give up on the division, but I am just about ready to wave the playoff white flag. Actually, I was probably ready to do that anyway thanks to the pitching!

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor ?

SOXBOY
09-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Griff jr it's time you step up.

sox1970
09-05-2008, 01:14 PM
Griff jr it's time you step up.

I want Anderson in center on that roadtrip.

delben91
09-05-2008, 01:14 PM
Soriano has come back OK it seems but that was more his hand now that I think about it.

I played with a guy in college that started as a freshman at a major DI program, broke his rest, and couldn't cut it at that level so transfered to a DIII school. It definitely is a long term concern.

This sucks.

It does show how tough Q is being able to play through this.

I completely understand your point, and I know it's a Sox fan's nature to worry about everything.

That said, am I the only one that hasn't completely written on Carlos Quentin's career already? Yes it sucks and hurts the team for 2008, I understand that, but are we at the point where we now have a gap in the 2009 outfield that has to be filled? I certainly don't think so.

kittle42
09-05-2008, 01:15 PM
I want Anderson in center on that roadtrip.

And this gets to start again. It might be the only thing possibly worse than the injury itself.

kruzer31
09-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Just got to espn1000 .com and listen live, they give the update on the 20s and the 40s. Ive heard it twice now.

kevingrt
09-05-2008, 01:16 PM
I completely understand your point, and I know it's a Sox fan's nature to worry about everything.

That said, am I the only one that hasn't completely written on Carlos Quentin's career already? Yes it sucks and hurts the team for 2008, I understand that, but are we at the point where we now have a gap in the 2009 outfield that has to be filled? I certainly don't think so.

We can only hope and pray you are right delben.

The Immigrant
09-05-2008, 01:17 PM

Kyle Davies of KC on August 14th. That was Quentin's first game back after sitting out with soreness after being hit in 5 straight games. BTW, our pitching staff did not retaliate once.

Incidentally, since the August 19th game against Seattle, Quentin has just 6 hits and 2 RBI in 35 ABs.

sox1970
09-05-2008, 01:17 PM
And this gets to start again. It might be the only thing possibly worse than the injury itself.

The ground that needs to be covered in New York, Kansas City, and Minnesota? I don't want Grandpa Griffey out there. I don't want Swish out there either.

kevingrt
09-05-2008, 01:18 PM

You're telling me you don't want to hear the great discussion 42? Damn.

skottyj242
09-05-2008, 01:19 PM

?

kittle42
09-05-2008, 01:20 PM
The ground that needs to be covered in New York, Kansas City, and Minnesota? I don't want Grandpa Griffey out there. I don't want Swish out there either.

We need another bat now. This is where defense has to suffer. Even without this injury, Anderson wouldn't have been out there, so give it up.

Jimmy Piersall
Kyle Davies of KC on August 14th. That was Quentin's first game back after sitting out with soreness after being hit in 5 straight games. BTW, our pitching staff did not retaliate once.

Incidentally, since the August 19th game against Seattle, Quentin has just 6 hits and 2 RBI in 35 ABs.

Niedermeyer ? dead...Marmalard ? dead...Davies ?

cbotnyse
Bonds anyone?

soxfan43
09-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Bonds anyone?

It might be a bit late in the season for him but that being said, time to explore all options.

kevingrt
Bonds anyone?

Wow what a scary option.

sox1970
We need another bat now. This is where defense has to suffer. Even without this injury, Anderson wouldn't have been out there, so give it up.

I'm not a FOBA. We need defense more than ever.

delben91
We can only hope and pray you are right delben.

So you do think it's a career-ending injury?

TDog
09-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Wow what a scary option.

Not to mention that it would take two weeks for Bonds to get ready, and he wouldn't be eligible for the postseason.

kevingrt
09-05-2008, 01:24 PM

No, not at all. But there is no information to lead me either thinking it may be a career threatening injury or just a 30 days off injury. I don't know. But I for sure as hell hope it's nothing too major. The wrist is a valuable part of the baseball swing though, so I am scared.

Harry Potter
09-05-2008, 01:25 PM
in an attempt to rally the troops, time to cue (or in honor of today, Q up) Animal House...

Did you say "over"?
Nothing's over until we decide it is!
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Hell, no!

kevingrt
09-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Not to mention that it would take two weeks for Bonds to get ready, and he wouldn't be eligible for the postseason.

Good call I didn't even think of that. I forgot about the whole 40 man roster thingy entering October. I guess we gotta first make October.

I say we get move Alexei to CF and Richar to 2B. Ha, oh wait we don't have Richar anymore.

JermaineDye05
09-05-2008, 01:29 PM
So much for the MVP....

Damn I really thought he was gonna win it and hopefully carry us to yet another WS.

nsdjoe
09-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Well this certainly sucks but Griffey is certainly capable of having a lights-out september (and october?). Move him to left and hope he mans up.

Frankfan4life
09-05-2008, 01:31 PM
TCQ may be tough but I guess all those HBPs finally took their toll. It's hard to take that kind of beating and not get hurt once in a while. I wonder if he'll be the same type of player when he returns.

I can't remember this many injuries in one year. This sucks!!!!

kevingrt
Da Reverend has to come out and rally the troops sometime soon I think after this news.

Gammons Peter
Well this certainly sucks but Griffey is certainly capable of having a lights-out september (and october?). Move him to left and hope he mans up.

Yes, IF he is healthy

nsdjoe
09-05-2008, 01:32 PM
I can't remember this many injuries in one year. This sucks!!!!

we're still repaying karma for a (relatively) healthy 2005.

Mohoney
09-05-2008, 01:33 PM
670 The Score update says that there is nothing official yet from the White Sox, but multiple sources told Jesse Rogers that Quentin has a fracture in his wrist. It's not only Bruce Levine anymore.

JermaineDye05
09-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Jeez and the guy was on pace to have 40+ homers and maybe 120+ RBIs

JermaineDye05
09-05-2008, 01:36 PM
It's nice that Jermaine has been having an MVP type season, but this right here really hurts.

Frankfan4life
09-05-2008, 01:36 PM
we're still repaying karma for a (relatively) healthy 2005.The 2007 season was enough punishment to last a lifetime. No mas, no mas.....!!!!!!!

Jimmy Piersall
09-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Good call I didn't even think of that. I forgot about the whole 40 man roster thingy entering October. I guess we gotta first make October.

I say we get move Alexei to CF and Richar to 2B. Ha, oh wait we don't have Richar anymore.

OC
AJ
JD
PK
Thome
TCM
Swish
BA
Uribe

It's gonna have to be these guys in the everyday lineup that get us over the hump.Swish to left,flip Paulie & Thome if a right hander is throwing and
pray it happens.Griffey & Crede can't be counted on until/if they are healthy.

hi im skot
09-05-2008, 01:38 PM

kevingrt
09-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Why on ESPN 1000's latest report are they saying TCQ "may" be done for the rest of the season. I hate the official, unofficial stuff. I hate being off in the afternoon just so I hear all this BS until it becomes official.

Check that being off on an afternoon isn't that bad.

tonyho7476
09-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Saying he did this slamming a bat down after a strikeout...not from getting hit by a pitch.

kevingrt
I know this may be a lot of pressure but what about Alexei to the 3 hole? Anyone like that idea?

SoxGirl4Life
Fractured wrist??? It was the last damn time he got hit. :angry: I cringed when it bounced almost into the dugout from hitting his wrist...

Edit: Or maybe not. I'm gonna wait and see.. i'm still upset tho

kittle42
09-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Saying he did this slamming a bat down after a strikeout...not from getting hit by a pitch.

There are always injuries caused by player frustration like this. And it's always a shame, because they are obviously avoidable.

alohafri
09-05-2008, 01:42 PM

Lip

I think Vickery's Law is coming into play here.

Saracen
09-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Fractured wrist??? It was the last damn time he got hit. :angry: I cringed when it bounced almost into the dugout from hitting his wrist...

Edit: Or maybe not. I'm gonna wait and see.. i'm still upset tho
I'd heard for a couple days he did this to himself slamming his bat after striking out. Rumor though.

daveeym
There are always injuries caused by player frustration like this. And it's always a shame, because they are obviously avoidable.But the fire, the passion, the intensity, it shows he cares more...

doublem23

Not career-ending, but for a guy who had legitimate 40-HR/year power this is a blow.

See you next year, Q! Get better!

Oh, as for us right now:

http://www.flatrock.org.nz/topics/flying/assets/hindenburg.jpg

oeo
09-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Oh, as for us right now:

C'mon.

Quentin certainly is a big (HUGE) reason we are where we are right now, but he's not the only (or even the biggest). Our pitching at the start of the year is that reason. Quentin picked up an offense that couldn't hit for ****, and without him we certainly would have lost a lot more low-scoring games early in the year. But without our pitching staff, I don't care what Quentin was doing, it wouldn't have meant as much.

Quentin isn't the only one producing now, and while he's a big loss, it's not the end of the world. Buehrle, Danks, Dotel, Linebrink, Thornton, Konerko, Swisher, and Griffey just need to step up their games...and it wasn't like they didn't need to with Quentin. Any time you lose an MVP candidate, it's obviously a kick to the gut, but it's not going to end our season. Now if we lose another starting pitcher, that would be it.

WizardsofOzzie
:whiner:

Nothing more can be said.

nsdjoe
Not career-ending, but for a guy who had legitimate 40-HR/year power this is a blow.

Oh, as for us right now:

The Twins have to play four against the Rays in Tampa. If we take care of business in the Metrodome (read: at least 2/3) we should absolutely still make the playoffs.

esbrechtel
ugh, lets hope not.....

Foulke You
09-05-2008, 01:51 PM

Oh, as for us right now:

The HMS Quentin:
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/9231/8titanic.png

Cangelosi CF
09-05-2008, 01:53 PM
not the end of the world, but a big blow. :(:

time for Griffey Jr. and BA32 to step up

Foulke You
09-05-2008, 01:53 PM
The Twins have to play four against the Rays in Tampa. If we take care of business in the Metrodome (read: at least 2/3) we should absolutely still make the playoffs.
I still think we can make the playoffs with our current roster but winning a championship just got a lot harder. The biggest thing we'll miss about Quentin is those "close and late" offensive numbers that he put up. Those huge 2 and 3 run HRs in the 7th or 8th inning to put us in the lead will have to come from somewhere else. I think Griffey has a hot streak in him yet and I'm clinging to this for my hope that our offense will survive without Quentin. I think Griffey LF, Swisher CF, and Dye in RF should be the "A" lineup with Anderson playing for Griffey against tough lefties.

Jaffar
09-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Surgery on Monday for TCQ Per the Score!! ****!!!!!!! **** **** **** ****

Gammons Peter
09-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Surgery on monday

kevingrt
09-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Surgery on monday

And that means he is done for the season I assume?