PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Kuhn = our future Justin Pedroia

CaptUSN
09-05-2008, 01:48 PM
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Tyler%20Kuhn&pos=SS&sid=t581&t=p_pbp&pid=518906

I know it is only short season Rookie League, but that is why I said "future"...

chaotic8512
09-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Somebody's got to say it, so it might as well be me... Dustin has a twin brother?!? :redneck

Seriously though, those are very encouraging numbers. Can't get too excited, though... let's not crown him the next Pedroia until he's at least hitting that way in Birmingham or Charlotte.

JermaineDye05
09-05-2008, 01:54 PM
I don't know, I think Beckham is the real deal and will probably be moved to 2B with Alexei's arm being superior at short. I'm not sure where Kuhn would play unless he learns to play 3B, unless Kenny trades one of TCM or Beckham. Somehow I don't see that happening. This is of course assuming Beckham pans out and Alexei's season isn't a one and done year.

09-05-2008, 02:32 PM
He has gotten a lot of positive PR in Great Falls this summer. When they drafted him there were comments that his tools aren't fantastic but he's a real ballplayer. I seem to recall some comments about his arm not playing well for a long run at SS.

Like you said, it's only rookie ball so everything is taken with a huge grain of salt. They had some guys last year who hit really well in the Pioneer League, only to struggle in low A.

turners56
09-05-2008, 04:04 PM
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Tyler%20Kuhn&pos=SS&sid=t581&t=p_pbp&pid=518906

I know it is only short season Rookie League, but that is why I said "future"...

So I'm guessing he's a combination between Pedroia and Morneau?

FedEx227
09-06-2008, 12:13 PM

A 5'5 dude with excellent gap power and a monstrous home run swing. I like it!

khan
09-06-2008, 12:43 PM
While its nice to have a guy hit .378 in Rookie ball, I don't think this Kuhn character is anything special, YET.

As another poster stated, If he can do it again next year at Birmingham or Charlotte, then MAYBE we can get amped up about him. After all, even the immortal Brian Anderson hit .388 at Great Falls, albeit in 13 games:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/A/Brian-Anderson-3.shtml

sox1970
09-06-2008, 01:08 PM
While its nice to have a guy hit .378 in Rookie ball, I don't think this Kuhn character is anything special, YET.

As another poster stated, If he can do it again next year at Birmingham or Charlotte, then MAYBE we can get amped up about him. After all, even the immortal Brian Anderson hit .388 at Great Falls, albeit in 13 games:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/A/Brian-Anderson-3.shtml

Yes, because it's so common for a guy to jump from Rookie Ball to AA. :rolleyes:

KyWhiSoxFan
09-06-2008, 04:02 PM

He does not showing anywhere near the power of either one of those guys right now. He has 3 HRs in 251 official ABs. He does have 23 doubles and 9 triples, but his forte is getting on at a high percentage.

(And he's 5'10" not 5'5".)

turners56
09-06-2008, 04:19 PM
He does not showing anywhere near the power of either one of those guys right now. He has 3 HRs in 251 official ABs. He does have 23 doubles and 9 triples, but his forte is getting on at a high percentage.

(And he's 5'10" not 5'5".)

I was kidding, OMG. Come on people. Think for yourselves! I thought it was funny that the TC said Dustin Pedroia was called Justin Pedroia.

soxfanreggie
09-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Those are definitely some good stats, but I agree that I will temper my excitement until I see him have success in a higher league.

jabrch
09-07-2008, 02:19 PM
I love the enthusiasm on the farm with all the crap it takes - but I am willing to give all these kids a few years before really evaluating them.

khan
09-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Yes, because it's so common for a guy to jump from Rookie Ball to AA. :rolleyes:

Point taken, though I WAS referring to the other poster who suggested this.

But it is true that there are many more .378 Rookie Ball hitters that do nothing with their careers than there are former .378 Rookie Ball hitters that succeed at a higher level. I for one see nothing to get amped up about, until Kuhn can do it in AA and AAA.

For that matter, I'd like to have him hit in AA and AAA, AND learn how to catch the ball at the same time. Whether he does it next year, 2010, or 2011, I'd like to see him do it in AA and AAA.

If its not too much to ask, I'd like him to be able to learn how to throw, and run the bases, at a higher level than Rookie Ball, too.

Oh, and if I'm not being too demanding, I'd like Mr. Kuhn to be able to stay healthy throughout the process of learning how to hit, catch, throw, and run at a higher level than Rookie Ball.

In sum, I'll check in on young Mr. Kuhn in 2010 or 2011, by which time we should be able to see if he has any REAL potential to play in the Bigs.

Craig Grebeck
09-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Point taken, though I WAS referring to the other poster who suggested this.

But it is true that there are many more .378 Rookie Ball hitters that do nothing with their careers than there are former .378 Rookie Ball hitters that succeed at a higher level. I for one see nothing to get amped up about, until Kuhn can do it in AA and AAA.

For that matter, I'd like to have him hit in AA and AAA, AND learn how to catch the ball at the same time.

If its not too much to ask, I'd like him to be able to learn how to throw, and run the bases, at a higher level than Rookie Ball, too.

Oh, and if I'm not being too demanding, I'd like Mr. Kuhn to be able to stay healthy throughout the process of learning how to hit, catch, throw, and run at a higher level than Rookie Ball.

In sum, I'll check in on young Mr. Kuhn in 2010 or 2011, by which time we should be able to see if he has any REAL potential to play in the Bigs.
Don't completely dismiss rookie ball statistics. They do matter in the grand scheme of things.

khan
09-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Don't completely dismiss rookie ball statistics. They do matter in the grand scheme of things.

Sure. Did Brian Anderson's .388 in Rookie Ball correlate to great things in his future?

All kidding aside, I don't put much value into stats at this level. There are simply too many suspects and too few real prospects at this level, IMO.

But I do agree that it is better for Kuhn to hit .378 than it is for him to hit .278 in Rookie Ball.

doublem23
09-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Who can we trade him for!?

btrain929
09-08-2008, 04:22 PM

As funny as it might seem, that is probably the likely scenario for him. I'd like to see him dominate all the way to AA, then trade him for a proven MLB'er. If he has a great career, sweet, but at least we got good value for him instead of bringing him up and taking a chance on him not panning out (ala Anderson).

Daver
09-08-2008, 04:37 PM

8 maple bats.

doublem23
09-08-2008, 04:46 PM
8 maple bats.

We should hold out for 10.

Britt Burns
09-09-2008, 02:14 AM
A wonderful start, but keep in mind Kuhn is slightly old for the league and he was a good but not great hitter in college. Every year someone tears up in rookie ball...

2002 Micah Schnurstein 17 yrs old .332 with 26 doubles
2002 Anthony Webster 19 yrs old hit .352
2003 Ricardo Nanita .384

etc. Let's hope Tyler keeps it up!