PDA

View Full Version : Marlins played in front of 600 fans last night!

LoveYourSuit
09-04-2008, 09:17 PM
How pathetic.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/conversation?gameId=280903128

thomas35forever
09-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Face it, baseball in southern Florida needs to go.

turners56
09-04-2008, 09:26 PM
How pathetic.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/conversation?gameId=280903128

Those players must feel pretty lonely. When the Marlins have electric players like Hanley Ramirez, there's at least a reason to go, right? If they can't get a new stadium, I foresee a move to Vegas very soon.

LoveYourSuit
09-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Those players must feel pretty lonely. When the Marlins have electric players like Hanley Ramirez, there's at least a reason to go, right? If they can't get a new stadium, I foresee a move to Vegas very soon.

I wish the AL lands a Vegas team. That would be an annual road trip for me being that I go to Vegas at least twice per year.

Rdy2PlayBall
09-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Those players must feel pretty lonely. When the Marlins have electric players like Hanley Ramirez, there's at least a reason to go, right? If they can't get a new stadium, I foresee a move to Vegas very soon.That'd be really cool since I go visit my cousin and I would go see some games there when I go! :tongue: If that happens, my favorite teams would have to be Chicago (Sox), Florida (Rays), and Vegas (w/e). :rolleyes:

guillensdisciple
09-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Not surprised, it is a shame that Florida has such a small fan base. I have to admit they have had two championship seasons and the rest crappy since they first got into the bigs but still those two championships in the past 15 years is more then many teams in the league have to say about themselves yet the Marlins can't buy a fan.

Guess Floridians really don't value their baseball.

DSpivack
09-04-2008, 10:04 PM
There is absolutely no way Las Vegas will ever see a professional sports franchise.

The Orange Bowl destruction is pretty much complete, and supposedly groundbreaking on the new Marlins Stadium will occur in November.

turners56
09-04-2008, 10:09 PM
The Marlins can't move to the AL unless an expansion team is created or a AL East team like the Blue Jays moves to the NL.

turners56
09-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Not surprised, it is a shame that Florida has such a small fan base. I have to admit they have had two championship seasons and the rest crappy since they first got into the bigs but still those two championships in the past 15 years is more then many teams in the league have to say about themselves yet the Marlins can't buy a fan.

Guess Floridians really don't value their baseball.

They don't value bad baseball. The Marlins have been mediocre this year with a fairly low payroll. Ownership is terrible, the stadium is terrible, so is there really a reason to even go? Granted, the Marlins are an exciting team (home-run wise) this year, but the fans out there don't really care unless you are in first I guess.

JLong
09-04-2008, 10:12 PM
600. wow.

nccwsfan
09-04-2008, 10:15 PM

Didn't they finally secure a new ballpark by the Orange Bowl site? It doesn't say anything on their website but I thought this was a done deal.

Hopefully a new retractable roof ballpark will bring in more fans. 2,500???:cool:

LongLiveFisk
09-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Maybe Florida should just go back to spring training only. :dunno:

Frankfan4life
09-04-2008, 10:46 PM
I think this proves that attendance is overrated. Fans don't win games, players do. The amount of fans you have in the seats does not determine a win or a loss. A team can lose in spite of 52,000 fans cheering them on and win in front of only 600.

FedEx227
09-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Don't build a new stadium in Florida, waste of time, just move the franchise. I don't think they'll ever have a consistent fan-base. The Rays I think they soon will, Marlins absolutely not.

manders_01
09-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Was the game delayed until the wee hours or something? 600 is ridiculous. At least no one had to wait in atrocious lines for beer and a bathroom! :tongue:

chisoxfanatic
09-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Was the game delayed until the wee hours or something? 600 is ridiculous. At least no one had to wait in atrocious lines for beer and a bathroom! :tongue:
That's such a bad attendance number that I'm sure everyone had their own private "server." :tongue:

Seriously, Florida should not have any MLB teams. Get rid of both of 'em and put the Brewers back in the AL.

LongLiveFisk
09-04-2008, 11:25 PM

What a night for the vendors too....

"Can all of you just sit in these couple of sections together so we don't have to walk all over the ballpark?" :tongue:

UofCSoxFan
09-04-2008, 11:49 PM
I still have my ticket stub for the Marlins Expos game played at U.S. Cellular a few years back. There were at least 4000 fans at those, just for the pure novelty of it.

johnnyg83
09-04-2008, 11:55 PM
There is absolutely no way Las Vegas will ever see a professional sports franchise.

The Orange Bowl destruction is pretty much complete, and supposedly groundbreaking on the new Marlins Stadium will occur in November.

Why do you say that about Vegas? They have AAA baseball and major college sports.

I've read that the NHL has it on a short list of cities if they ever expand.

soxfanreggie
09-04-2008, 11:58 PM
I think they played in front of 100 or so when they played the Expos one time. I think it was Jeffrey Loria (sp?) that invited all the fans to sit by him behind home plate and treated them to food.

guillensdisciple
09-04-2008, 11:58 PM
Oh man I forgot about that game between the Marlins and the Expos, goes to show you white sox fans want to see the marlins play more then marlins fans do.

doublem23
09-04-2008, 11:59 PM
Don't build a new stadium in Florida, waste of time, just move the franchise. I don't think they'll ever have a consistent fan-base. The Rays I think they soon will, Marlins absolutely not.

:scratch:

Based on what?

WhiteSox5187
09-05-2008, 12:10 AM

Based on what?
Well, i think the fact that the Marlins have had two championships within the past fifteen years and still are unable to find a fanbase suggests that the baseball experiment in South Florida has been a failure.

DSpivack
09-05-2008, 12:15 AM
Why do you say that about Vegas? They have AAA baseball and major college sports.

I've read that the NHL has it on a short list of cities if they ever expand.

Because Vegas would rather have gambling and the sports books than one sports franchise.

TheOldRoman
09-05-2008, 12:25 AM
I think the Marlins can succeed in Miami. They are obviously in a horrible situation. The most glaring flaw is their awful stadium situation. They play in a football stadium, which, aside from being cavernous, having one of their outfield walls consisting of folded up seats, and offering no good seats, is open air. Miami weather in the summer can best be described as crotch-like. It is disgustingly hot and humid. The kind of weather that leaves you soaked after being outside for 5 minutes. Add into that the daily storms. Why would anyone want to be outside at a baseball game in those conditions?

Add into that the horrible ownership they have had. Two times they have built a world champion (the second time purely by accident), only to cut the fans' hearts out and dismantle it. This is similar to what Sox fans faced with Reinsy following 94 and 97. It is hard to get enthusiastic about a team and trust a team again after that.

Loria is a terrible owner, although they have very good people in baseball operations. They need a new owner who will make even the slightest commitment to winning. As it is, Loria & Co. have already hinted that, if they have to put up more money for the stadium, payroll will inevitably have to be cut to make up for it (this was back in 2005 when they had a respectable payroll). Since then they have slashed payroll, and after a one year boost in a new park, payroll would plummet again. I am not saying they need an owner to spend like the Yankees, they just need an owner who wont sell off everything that isn't bolted down and screw the fans over and over again. If they have a moderate payroll, they will do fine.

They need a stadium with a retractable roof. The weather is horribly uncomfortable most of the season (and we know how much domes suck). A retractable roof stadium will bring out people who normally wouldn't want to sit in that weather for 3 hours. Hell, even an open air baseball only stadium will be much more inviting to the fans than Dolphin Stadium. Put them in a new stadium with respectable ownership, and they will succeed. Their TV ratings are good. Miami has a huge Hispanic base which is baseball crazy. The market is there. Baseball 100% can succeed in south Florida in the right situation.

EuroSox35
09-05-2008, 12:27 AM
Lost another loan to Ditech!

DumpJerry
09-05-2008, 12:30 AM
MLB has said Vegas will never be considered for a franchise because of the gambling element. It won't happen. Portland, Oregon or the New York City area will get a team first.

The NHL may have Vegas on their short list for expansion, but the league is already over-extended into cities where people don't know an ice skate from an ice cream dish.

chisoxfanatic
09-05-2008, 12:35 AM
The NHL may have Vegas on their short list for expansion, but the league is already over-extended into cities where people don't know an ice skate from an ice cream dish.
Oh, god...Contraction before expansion in the NHL, please.

jabrch
09-05-2008, 08:22 AM
I think this proves that attendance is overrated. Fans don't win games, players do. The amount of fans you have in the seats does not determine a win or a loss. A team can lose in spite of 52,000 fans cheering them on and win in front of only 600.

Sure they CAN, but by no means can you conclude it is overrated. Ask the players which they'd prefer. Ask the players as visitors which they like less. It's pretty easy to answer.

FedEx227
09-05-2008, 08:36 AM

Based on what?

Well let's see the only years they've had reasonably acceptable attendance has been in 1997 and 2003 their World Series years. They are consistently drawing Expos numbers and have been going on 5 years now.

It's Florida and pro sports not named the Buccaneers have a tough time drawing in any consistent fan base.

A lot of the points OldRoman pointed to I agree. But is it really worth the risk of building a new stadium only to have the fans crap on the team?

Viva Medias B's
09-05-2008, 08:53 AM
The Orange Bowl demolition is complete and is ready and waiting for the new Marlins ballpark. When I was in South Florida a month ago, I attended the Monday Mets-Marlins game at Dolphin Stadium. First of all, half of the crowd consisted of Mets fans. Secondly, I thought the concession options were terrible. Half of the concession stands behind the seating area were closed. I think that is just one example of why Marlins games aren't all that appealing.

johnnyg83
09-05-2008, 09:12 AM

Whether they're overextended or not isn't the point, it's that they're considering it. And forget expansion, it could be the next home to one of the Florida teams or Nashville or Carolina.

palehozenychicty
09-05-2008, 09:13 AM
I think the Marlins can succeed in Miami. They are obviously in a horrible situation. The most glaring flaw is their awful stadium situation. They play in a football stadium, which, aside from being cavernous, having one of their outfield walls consisting of folded up seats, and offering no good seats, is open air. Miami weather in the summer can best be described as crotch-like. It is disgustingly hot and humid. The kind of weather that leaves you soaked after being outside for 5 minutes. Add into that the daily storms. Why would anyone want to be outside at a baseball game in those conditions?

Add into that the horrible ownership they have had. Two times they have built a world champion (the second time purely by accident), only to cut the fans' hearts out and dismantle it. This is similar to what Sox fans faced with Reinsy following 94 and 97. It is hard to get enthusiastic about a team and trust a team again after that.

Loria is a terrible owner, although they have very good people in baseball operations. They need a new owner who will make even the slightest commitment to winning. As it is, Loria & Co. have already hinted that, if they have to put up more money for the stadium, payroll will inevitably have to be cut to make up for it (this was back in 2005 when they had a respectable payroll). Since then they have slashed payroll, and after a one year boost in a new park, payroll would plummet again. I am not saying they need an owner to spend like the Yankees, they just need an owner who wont sell off everything that isn't bolted down and screw the fans over and over again. If they have a moderate payroll, they will do fine.

They need a stadium with a retractable roof. The weather is horribly uncomfortable most of the season (and we know how much domes suck). A retractable roof stadium will bring out people who normally wouldn't want to sit in that weather for 3 hours. Hell, even an open air baseball only stadium will be much more inviting to the fans than Dolphin Stadium. Put them in a new stadium with respectable ownership, and they will succeed. Their TV ratings are good. Miami has a huge Hispanic base which is baseball crazy. The market is there. Baseball 100% can succeed in south Florida in the right situation.

Right on. This is how I always felt about their situation.

johnnyg83
09-05-2008, 09:14 AM
Because Vegas would rather have gambling and the sports books than one sports franchise.

I don't mean to sound supercilious, but no one has ever said that they'd have to choose one or the other.

chaerulez
09-05-2008, 09:14 AM
MLB just doesn't draw in Florida. They can support sports, but it has to be the NFL or college.

Red Barchetta
09-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Right on. This is how I always felt about their situation.

The Rays are in the same situation. Most new franchises always go through a bad stadium situation at first, however if a fan base is established, they a better, more established ballpark investment can move forward.

Both South Florida (Miami) and Tampa Bay (St. Pete, Tampa, etc.) want to claim a team as their own vs. transplanted Yankees, Mets and Red Sox fans. Both the Marlins and Rays current "ballparks" rank in the bottom four (if not the bottom two) in MLB. Toronto and Minnesota being the other two.

Thome25
09-05-2008, 09:29 AM
The reason no one roots for the Florida teams is that so many northeasterners retire down there. Therefore, there's more Yankees, Mets, and Red Sawx fans in Florida than Rays and Marlins fans. The Dodgers also have a big following in Florida because of their former ties to New York and their former home in Vero Beach.

doublem23
09-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Well let's see the only years they've had reasonably acceptable attendance has been in 1997 and 2003 their World Series years. They are consistently drawing Expos numbers and have been going on 5 years now.

It's Florida and pro sports not named the Buccaneers have a tough time drawing in any consistent fan base.

A lot of the points OldRoman pointed to I agree. But is it really worth the risk of building a new stadium only to have the fans crap on the team?

I was asking why you think the Rays will magically develop a consistent fan base?

guillensdisciple
09-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Even if the Rays win the series this year I think the chances of them drawing a good fan base next year are very low. Maybe their attendance will rise to an average of 25000 but that is still a low average for a quality baseball team, regardless if they are a high market or low market team.

whitesox901
09-05-2008, 01:40 PM

Some of my thoughts as well, but still, imagine being the only person in your section, id be very lonley, and would more than likely move to another more "populated" section.

FedEx227
09-05-2008, 04:48 PM
I was asking why you think the Rays will magically develop a consistent fan base?

I think they have a very good chance to. We'll see what happens next year. I'm not going to count this year because you obviously don't have a good season-ticket base, but if they go deep into the playoffs and put a good product on the field next year I think they absolutely can develop a fan base. Next year will be the telling factor, do they get a good season-ticket base?

Michstate45
09-05-2008, 05:23 PM
After all of the talk this summer about "Titletowns" and best sports cities, let the debate of the worst sport city begin! I'll nominate Miami first...at least for the past 365 days. The Heat were terrible last year, The Dolophins were terrible, even the Hurricanes were just average. Florida is an alright team this year but drawing 600 fans definitely puts Miami at the top of the "worst" list for now.

LoveYourSuit
09-05-2008, 06:41 PM

and the Bucs did not start drawing until they moved into their new park.

The Heat struggle to draw and they have one of the best players in the game plus a championship not too long ago.

BleacherBandit
09-05-2008, 07:38 PM
It must be fun to be a dedicated Marlins fan. You'd pretty much be able to walk right into the ballpark every game without having to order in advance.

However, the park does suck, so there isn't much of a trade off. I went to a Marlins game two years ago, and I'll tell you, that place is absolutely nauseating to spend three hours in. Too many bright colors!

DSpivack
09-05-2008, 08:02 PM
It must be fun to be a dedicated Marlins fan. You'd pretty much be able to walk right into the ballpark every game without having to order in advance.

However, the park does suck, so there isn't much of a trade off. I went to a Marlins game two years ago, and I'll tell you, that place is absolutely nauseating to spend three hours in. Too many bright colors!

Colors aren't as bright when the stadium is full, for the Dolphins. Then again, pastel and Miami go hand in hand, no?

Fenway
09-08-2008, 04:26 PM
plenty of good seats available

http://bleacherreport.com/images_root/image_pictures/0082/9297/marlins_feature.jpg