PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Question

OfficerKarkovice
05-14-2002, 04:14 PM
This was brought up on the ESPN board earlier. Right now if you could, would you trade Joe Borchard for Mark Prior straight up?

HawkDJ
05-14-2002, 04:15 PM
This is an easy yes for me.

Kilroy
05-14-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
This is an easy yes for me.

No brainer.

In a heartbeat...

OfficerKarkovice
05-14-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy

No brainer.

In a heartbeat...

I voted no...there was a Baseball Prospectus article a little while back about how great hitting prospects are much more valuable than great pitching prospects. Think of how many so called pitching phenoms there are who are never heard from again due to arm injury, etc. It's an interesting read if you can find the link again.

palehosemike
05-14-2002, 05:02 PM
A big fat No from me - Are you guys getting caught up in the media hype on Prior or what? I am going out on a limb here... he is going to be a RUFFCORN RUFFCORN RUFFCORN!!!!!!!!! All hype..

Max Power
05-14-2002, 06:04 PM
An easy "yes"

I'd say both players have about equal potential. The Sox need pitching a lot more than another outfielder.

Daver
05-14-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
This was brought up on the ESPN board earlier. Right now if you could, would you trade Joe Borchard for Mark Prior straight up?

Let's see,trade a switch hitting outfeilder that can play all three outfield positions and hits for power and average from both sides of the plate,for a pitcher that has less than a year's experience in pro baseball,and has yet to prove anything against MLB hitting.

Wow now that's a tough one to answer.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-14-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by daver

Let's see,trade a switch hitting outfeilder that can play all three outfield positions and hits for power and average from both sides of the plate,for a pitcher that has less than a year's experience in pro baseball,and has yet to prove anything against MLB hitting.

Ditto.

I would add the high likelihood that a pitching prospect suffers a career threatening injury compared to a position player.

Typical Cubbie crack to be hanging everything on this guy's arm. How many times have we seen this play out with those morons?

:bluerock

hold2dibber
05-14-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by daver

Now wait a minute - as enthusiastic as I am about Borchard, he also hasn't proven anything at the MLB level. You have to evaluate the potential of each and then factor in the needs of the team to determine whether or not to make such a trade. I don't know enough to say that either Borchard or Prior has more potential, but Borchard can't be given the edge based on the fact that Prior hasn't proven anything at the MLB level since Borchard hasn't either (although you could point out that both were pretty successful against MLB competition in ST this year).

FarWestChicago
05-14-2002, 06:37 PM
Geez, some people are getting a contact high from the Cubbie Crack. :smile:

Daver
05-14-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

Now wait a minute - as enthusiastic as I am about Borchard, he also hasn't proven anything at the MLB level. You have to evaluate the potential of each and then factor in the needs of the team to determine whether or not to make such a trade. I don't know enough to say that either Borchard or Prior has more potential, but Borchard can't be given the edge based on the fact that Prior hasn't proven anything at the MLB level since Borchard hasn't either (although you could point out that both were pretty successful against MLB competition in ST this year).

I took into consideration that hitters have the edge over pitchers right now in the league,facing AAA pitching is pretty much the same as facing an MLB 4th or 5th starter,but facing an MLB line-up as a pitcher is a completely different story.The lack of quality pitching league wide gives Borchard a much better chance to succeed,while Prior will be facing a level of hitting he has never seen before.

OEO Magglio
05-14-2002, 08:10 PM
The answer for me is definetly yes, the only reason I say this, is we need another pitcher, and we have a good enough outfield to last us for a while.

palehosemike
05-14-2002, 08:41 PM
I agree to the fact that both players have alot of potential, but lets get serious here. Joe Borchard will most likely get a legitimate chance in making it to the SHOW in about a year to year and a half. He is coming back from a stint on the DL and the Sox would like him to get everyday play in Charlotte to develop more. Also right now the outfield positions for the Sox are full, especially since the Sox are out of options on Liefer.

On the flip side, Mark Prior is becoming somewhat of folklore around the country, did you hear that he struck out 20 with his hands tied behind his back and he was blindfolded?!?
I heard a comment on the radio today that he is the next Babe Ruth. It is getting ridiculous! Did you know that Kip Wells, Jon Garland, and Jon Rauch all dominated minor league hitters while in the Sox's farm system.... what happened when they faced professional hitters in the SHOW? No they were not the saviors or the golden boys that they were touted to be. Does that mean you throw them to the curb? Hell no - pitchers take longer to develop than a hitter and it doesn't help when the talent pool at the pitching position is thin. Guys are getting called up way to early and it shows when they are thrown to the lions, they get rocked.

Mark Prior's last outing in Spring Training yielded the following results:
3 innings
3 hits
4 runs
4 earned runs
4 walks
3 strikeouts
1 homerun
- Mind you this was against the Brewers
Hardly an impressive outing. What is worse is that people in the media and Flub fans think that he should get called up now and that he will dominate and help the Cubs win games. First of all he will not dominate hitters. Once he is scouted properly he will get hit like any other rookie pitcher. In addition pitching is not the problem for the Flubs it is hitting.... they can not hit the damn ball.

Now would I trade them straight up? No and the reason why is because Borchard will be able to fill in the lineup in a year or so while a Prior will take a few years to adjust... it is normal for hitters to adjust faster than pitchers...

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE