PDA

View Full Version : How will Crede be remembered?

Gerry
09-04-2008, 12:02 AM
This is somewhat hypothetical, so let's not have any answers like "he's still on the team".

If this is Crede's last season in a White Sox uniform, maybe his last in his career, how will he be remembered by Sox fans ? One of the Sox best clutch hitters? More for his defense, etc. Thoughts?

gosox3072
09-04-2008, 12:04 AM
this is somewhat hypothetical, so let's not have any answers like "he's still on the team".

If this is crede's last season in a white sox uniform, maybe his last in his career, how will he be remembered by sox fans ? One of the sox best clutch hitters? More for his defense, etc. Thoughts?

DumpJerry
09-04-2008, 12:05 AM
:hawk
JOE CREEEDEEE!

Billy Ashley
09-04-2008, 12:08 AM
People will likely think of him better than this, but he should be remembered as:

a very good fielder who for the most part was a sub par hitter with very good pop. Well worth the money he was paid for, but not worth keeping around at a high cost.

Nellie_Fox
09-04-2008, 12:14 AM
An outstanding defensive third baseman, offensively very unreliable, and showed poor judgment by having Boras as his agent.

Vernam
09-04-2008, 12:14 AM
If there'd been an overall post-season MVP in 2005 -- rather than separate ALCS and WS MVPs -- IMO, it should have been Crede. I feel bad for the guy but hope some GM goes nuts and lays guaranteed money on him. For us, though, it's probably a bullet dodged.

Vernam

sox1970
09-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Should have won the 2005 World Series MVP.

Two homers on 9/20/05.

Nellie_Fox
09-04-2008, 12:17 AM
I feel bad for the guy but hope some GM goes nuts and lays guaranteed money on him. Because he hasn't already made enough money to last several lifetimes.

IronFisk
09-04-2008, 12:18 AM
2005. Nuff said.

Okay, maybe a bit more. I dare say we don't win that title without him.

Pity this is how it ends - back injuries are the worst. Bad agents are a close second.

Ciao!

Noneck
09-04-2008, 12:21 AM
An outstanding defensive third baseman, offensively very unreliable, and showed poor judgment by having Boras as his agent.

You do mean 3rd baseman, unless you know something I don't.

WhiteSox5187
09-04-2008, 12:24 AM
I think that walkoff against Cleveland will be his defining moment, but he had a lot of great moments in the stretch run in '05.

Save McCuddy's
09-04-2008, 12:24 AM
Money in '05.

Nellie_Fox
09-04-2008, 12:32 AM
You do mean 3rd baseman, unless you know something I don't.I have no idea what you are talking about. :whistle:

SBSoxFan
09-04-2008, 12:33 AM
2005. Nuff said.

Okay, maybe a bit more. I dare say we don't win that title without him.

Pity this is how it ends - back injuries are the worst. Bad agents are a close second.

Ciao!

His performance the last 2 months of 2005, including the post season, and the first half of 2006 finally reached a premiere level that everyone thought he could achieve. It seemed well worth the wait, only to have the back problem come up.

In the end, he was never able to put a complete year together both offensively and defensively. But he will always be remembered for the end of 2005 through the first half of 2006.

johnnyg83
09-04-2008, 12:41 AM
Joe was clutch and seemed to be a good chemistry guy ... his glove was amazing ... this year not as consistent ... the 2005 Cleveland HR ... the GW hit in Game 2 of the ALCS ... he should of won the Gold Glove in 05 ... if our alternatives are Fields or Uribe ... I think we may think fondly of Joe for a while.

Domeshot17
09-04-2008, 12:51 AM
Well Sum up Crede's career

Defensively he was amazing
Offensively he sucked for a few years, had 1 great year, and in the middle a few *meh* years.
He was a rockstar in 2005
He played the media game with the fans and won, telling everyone he would fire Boras if he had too to stay with the Sox. We all bought it and played the fool.

He probably should be remembered a lot like Podsednik is/was. A guy who was so vital to us in 2005, but his injuries since have cost the team more than the player has helped it. We'll see threads following him on other teams, and we won't wish him any ill will, but it will be all for the better once we move on from him. But yah, he was pretty much a Pods/Garland combo with being over rated for his actual play and injuries cost us a ton.

OldRomanPizza
09-04-2008, 01:11 AM
Just things that came to mind:

-"Crede's Crew" in the summer of 2003
-JOOEEE CREEEDEE, September 05
-ALCS Game 2 walk off double
-ALCS Game 5 tying home run
-WS Game 1 late defensive plays
-Homers in World Series
-One of the main guys responsible for Steve Perry/Don't Stop Believin'
-That catch he made against the Flubs at home this summer that saved some runs

DSpivack
09-04-2008, 01:14 AM

-Homers in World Series

For whatever reason, that will be my strongest memory of Crede.

doublem23
09-04-2008, 01:49 AM
I have a feeling he'll always be welcome on the South Side.

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/photos/uncategorized/joecrede.jpg

Never fully lived up to the hype, but I'll take the World Series.

soulfly
09-04-2008, 01:56 AM
Back in the beginning of 2005, my friends and I would always do the same thing when it came to Crede being up to bat in critical situations. We would say he was terrible, curse him, say how bad he sucked, and how everyone hated him. Almost every time he proved us wrong and got a big hit. It was something we only used at certain times. Even though none of us actually hated Crede, its something we did, and I'll remember it most as being a huge fan of his. I'll miss him more than most ex Sox players.

But the two memories I'll remember most of Crede were from games I was at in 05. One good one bad.

The good. His two home runs with the walk off shot against Cleveland on 9/20, which I feel was the season saver, and put the Indians to rest for good.

The bad. I have no idea why this stands out as much in my mind. But the game against Boston on 7/21, Crede dropped a routine foul out in the 9th that Manny hit. I think the very next pitch he homered, and the Sox lost by a run.

It's kind of to me how Crede will always be remembered. Awesome, or terrible. You never knew if you which Crede you were going to get in any situation. Thats why I enjoyed watching him so much.

PeteWard
09-04-2008, 02:05 AM
Game 1 of the WS for his glove work in crucial situations is number 1. A close second is driving home Ozuna in Game 2 of the Angels series.

But I would rather not write him off yet. Unless the Sox get Beltre next year.

OldRomanPizza
09-04-2008, 02:07 AM
Back in the beginning of 2005, my friends and I would always do the same thing when it came to Crede being up to bat in critical situations. We would say he was terrible, curse him, say how bad he sucked, and how everyone hated him. Almost every time he proved us wrong and got a big hit. It was something we only used at certain times. Even though none of us actually hated Crede, its something we did, and I'll remember it most as being a huge fan of his. I'll miss him more than most ex Sox players.

But the two memories I'll remember most of Crede were from games I was at in 05. One good one bad.

The good. His two home runs with the walk off shot against Cleveland on 9/20, which I feel was the season saver, and put the Indians to rest for good.

The bad. I have no idea why this stands out as much in my mind. But the game against Boston on 7/21, Crede dropped a routine foul out in the 9th that Manny hit. I think the very next pitch he homered, and the Sox lost by a run.

It's kind of to me how Crede will always be remembered. Awesome, or terrible. You never knew if you which Crede you were going to get in any situation. Thats why I enjoyed watching him so much.

Hahaha. I have a friend who back in 05 was always in the bathroom whenever Crede did something good. It got to the point where we told him to just go to the bathroom when Crede came up, even if he didn't get to go.

I also do remember that very game and instance you are talking about. I was at some wannabe martini lounge and some cougars gave us crap after the Boston player (you sure it wasnt Ortiz?) hit that homer.

I am sure five months later these same cougars were out on the town celebrating a White Sox championship.

soulfly
09-04-2008, 02:26 AM
Hahaha, thats awesome. Between your friends jinx, and the one I did with my friends, Crede was sure to never let us down!

And I'm 100% sure it was Manny. I'm also sure those cougars went and celebrated and claimed all along they were Sox fans after they won it.

Reminds me of a game in September that the Sox lost. As I was leaving the game, a guy was on his cell phone screaming to his friend how terrible the team was, and how the pitching wouldn't hold up because the Sox couldn't score runs. He also said that if they made it to the playoffs, the would get swept in the first round. I bet that guy was telling everyone after they won how he knew they'd win all along. Haha.

HangWiffum
09-04-2008, 02:33 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20050920&content_id=1217554&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Mohoney
09-04-2008, 02:48 AM
Most of it has already been covered, but I might add that as a prospect, he was arguably the crown jewel of our farm system, winning a Carolina League MVP in 1998 and a Southern League MVP in 2000.

Gerry
09-04-2008, 03:48 AM
Yeah that walk off against the Indians was probably my favorite moment as well probably the Hawk's best home run call. I know, I know they're all basically the same, but it was just extra awesome, he couldn't find the words so he just screamed "JHOOOOEEE CHREEEEDEEE!!"

It's true, he didn't really deliver on the hype as far as him being a MVP type candidate, but I can't say that it was just coincidence that 06' was Crede's best season when it just happened to be the season where he was as healthy as he ever was for the longest time. I guess what I'm really wondering is what his place is going to be in the history of the White Sox, like years and years down the road, do we remember him as one of the Sox best clutch hitters, for as limited a time he actually played?

C-Dawg
09-04-2008, 08:03 AM

(laughing) Yeah, I remember watching that one on TV; a particularly annoying Cub fan friend of mine was at the game and after Manny hit the HR, my cell phone rang, and it was the Cub fan's number on the display... I didn't answer. That was the year all the Cub fans jumped on the Red Sox bandwagon (after all, if they could beat their curse, it MUST be our turn!), and I didn't want to hear him and all the other Red Cub fans celebrating.

I was ready to have Crede's head on a plate at that moment.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-04-2008, 08:17 AM
I'll remember him as very good defensively and someone who seemed to always play well in clutch situations. He was terrific in the post season in 2005. His hit off Escobar that won the playoff game vs.the Angels is memorable, and he was the MVP of the World Series as far as I'm concerned.

Law11
09-04-2008, 08:54 AM
I'll always remember the game I was at late September 05 when he hit the 2 hrs vs Cleveland when the Tribe was closing in to a game behind.

His walkoff was one of the most exciting moments Ive ever been at.

aryzner
09-04-2008, 09:07 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20050920&content_id=1217554&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws
Watching the video and listening to the radio audio links on the side there almost brings tears to my eyes.

Marqhead
09-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Watching the video and listening to the radio audio links on the side there almost brings tears to my eyes.
My Dad was at that game, and I couldn't go because I was up at school, but I know he will always remember that moment, and it will be a huge part of Joe's legacy as a Sox player. I watch that clip every couple of weeks or so (especially after tough losses) and it always reminds me of how much I love this team.

MCHSoxFan
09-04-2008, 09:17 AM
I would say:

His glove (NOT just 2005).

2005 postseason (Mainly defense is 2005 World Series/Game 1 WS05 HR, and game winning hit, almost a HR, in ALCS game 2).

Walk-off HR versus CLE (What Hoe said was the turning-point of the 2005 season).

Zisk77
09-04-2008, 09:28 AM
I'll remember joe as:

- world series hero
- 2nd greatest defensive sox 3b in my lifetime (Ventura).
-incredible strong person...i can still see him pulling hr's on pitches that were virtually in the lefties batterbox.
- that damn crede is my sweedie banner(along with konerko/bonerko thingy) I can't get out of my head.
- class individual.
- Your pick to click everytime we played KC especially in KC.
- a streaky hitter with a penchant for coming up big in the clutch.

Cuck the Fubs
09-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Without question the walk off against the Indians in September of 2005 & his part in the 2005 postseason.

The guy was a flat out stud.

oeo
09-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Joe was clutch and seemed to be a good chemistry guy ... his glove was amazing ... this year not as consistent ... the 2005 Cleveland HR ... the GW hit in Game 2 of the ALCS ... he should of won the Gold Glove in 05 ... if our alternatives are Fields or Uribe ... I think we may think fondly of Joe for a while.

His defense singlehandedly saved Game 1 of the World Series. I'll never forget his two plays with a man on third and 1 out to strand them right there. Huuuuge.

MeteorsSox4367
09-04-2008, 10:51 AM
The home run off Cleveland's David Riske that inspired Hawk's screaming of "Jooooeeee Creeedeee."

Even now three years later, that clip still darn near makes me cry because of how clutch Crede's HR was. I remember watching that game and just muttering to myself that the Sox were going to break my heart.

Thanks to Crede, they didn't.

I'll also remember Crede for being damn awesome with the glove and for being my brother's favorite athlete not named Brett Favre.

KenBerryGrab
09-04-2008, 10:53 AM
His defense singlehandedly saved Game 1 of the World Series. I'll never forget his two plays with a man on third and 1 out to strand them right there. Huuuuge.

Neal Cotts was sure happy!

That home run to put them ahead in the same game was one of the most delirious moments I ever had at the park. The guy sitting behind me high-fived me so hard it hurt for a week. And that was OK!

thomas35forever
09-04-2008, 01:30 PM
A player who came through in clutch situations on both offense and defense, especially in the '05 WS. IMO, he should've been MVP of that series, and he might have if he put up slightly better offensive numbers than JD. He was an old-fashioned ballplayer who did everything right when he needed to.

chisoxmike
09-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Yeah, he is one of the reasons we won in 2005, but let's not forget he's been screwing the Sox since. He refused to have back surgery after 2006, came into 2007 with major problems and was lost for the year. Had the surgery in 07 and claimed to be 100% in 08, his contact year no less, and now has been hurt since July and will most likely not contribute to the rest of the year and hopefully playoffs.

I say good riddance. No team will be dumb enough to give him a long term deal.

Crede had a amazing glove, no doubt. But this "Joe Clutch" title people have on him is bull****. He had two good halves at the plate.

D. TODD
09-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Big time defense, streaky bat with some pop, and a huge part of the world champion 2005 White Sox. Fond memories indeed with Joe Crede as a White Sox!!

Chez
09-04-2008, 03:09 PM
I say good riddance. No team will be dumb enough to give him a long term deal.

If he leaves, I'll be sorry to see him go. Good player, good guy, good citizen. As for your second statement, again I kind of disagree. See Ordonez, M.

kittle42
09-04-2008, 03:11 PM
If he leaves, I'll be sorry to see him go. Good player, good guy, good citizen. As for your second statement, again I kind of disagree. See Ordonez, M.

The difference is that Ordonez is a much better player, and was a much better player at the time. Same risk, higher reward.

getonbckthr
09-04-2008, 03:14 PM
"Play some ****ing Journey!"

Chez
09-04-2008, 03:19 PM
The difference is that Ordonez is a much better player, and was a much better player at the time. Same risk, higher reward.

Well you are clearly right. Mags was a better player than Crede at the time he was injured. But wait; someone will give Crede a 3 or 4 deal for a lot more than he's making with the Sox. And if it happens, good for Joe.

Zisk77
09-04-2008, 03:25 PM

No, Maggs was a much better hitter.

Maggs is a subpar runner, defender, and thrower. Which is sad because when he first succeeded with the sox he he was a decent defender that stole 20-30 bags a year. However, even before the knee injury Maggs started dogging it. i don't know how many tims he GIDP to end the inning with runners on the corners that Big Frank would even beat out for RBI (Pre-navicular bone injury). Maggs is a hitting machine destined for DHdom.

kevingrt
09-04-2008, 03:29 PM
"Play some ****ing Journey!"

So true.

But really he will be remembered for that gigantic HR versus Cleveland towards the end of 2005. He will be remembered as the 2nd WS MVP behind Jermaine Dye. He will be remembered for a ring. And he wil be remembered for being the greatest 3B the Sox had in the 1st decade of the 21st century.

kittle42
09-04-2008, 03:50 PM

Maggs is a subpar runner, defender, and thrower. Which is sad because when he first succeeded with the sox he he was a decent defender that stole 20-30 bags a year. However, even before the knee injury Maggs started dogging it. i don't know how many tims he GIDP to end the inning with runners on the corners that Big Frank would even beat out for RBI (Pre-navicular bone injury). Maggs is a hitting machine destined for DHdom.

In today's game, this still makes him more valuable than Crede.

wilburaga
09-04-2008, 04:34 PM
On the biggest stage the White Sox have been on in my lifetime, Joe Crede stood up and competed. I'll always love the guy (unless he becomes a Yankee).

Also, he's the all-time favorite Sox player for my wife and both my daughters.

W

kittle42
09-04-2008, 04:36 PM
On the biggest stage the White Sox have been on in my lifetime, Joe Crede stood up and competed. I'll always love the guy (unless he becomes a Yankee)

Do you hate Robin Ventura?

doublem23
09-04-2008, 05:18 PM
On the biggest stage the White Sox have been on in my lifetime, Joe Crede stood up and competed. I'll always love the guy

That's a pretty great way to describe it. When the bright lights finally shined on the Sox, he stepped up his game. That's got to earn at least a bit of respect, right?

SSrep
09-04-2008, 05:38 PM
That's a pretty great way to describe it. When the bright lights finally shined on the Sox, he stepped up his game. That's got to earn at least a bit of respect, right?

I couldn't agree more. We couldn't have done it without him in 2005 (as true with other players) and I'll never forget it.

turners56
09-04-2008, 06:37 PM
His ALCS game two walk-off double. Second to that would be his overall performance in game one of the WS. The walk-off shot against Cleveland is huge too.

ChiSoxFan7
09-04-2008, 07:09 PM
tho he didn't like it... 05's clutch crede season. that year he was the only one you would want to come up with a major hit needed.

besides that...superb defense, average power, and decent hitter.

guillensdisciple
09-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Crede will be remembered for what he did against the Indians in 2005 when we desperately needed a win, the clutch double he got against the Angels in the ALCS to tie the series up, the amazing defensive show he put on during the world series, and for being clutch in the majority of the situations he was ever in.

It will be sad to be without Crede, but I am sure the Sox will find a good replacement for him.

slavko
09-04-2008, 09:00 PM

So many posts on him after he left saying that he played hard. Are you and I (and John Rooney) the only ones who saw this?

Frontman
09-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Crede will be remembered as ONE of the players that ended the 88 year drought on the Southside.

He'll be remembered as a kid who's career will be cut short because of an injured back.

In the short term, sadly he'll be remembered for being managed by Boras.

But true Sox fans will appreciate what #24 did for this team in 2005.

Konerko05
09-04-2008, 09:45 PM
2005. That is exactly how I will remember Joe Crede. He was a huge part of something many Sox fans were not able to experience in their lifetime. Why remember him differently?

nccwsfan
09-04-2008, 10:05 PM

-Homers in World Series

Well said. The World Series MVP was a toss up between him and Dye, so I'll remember his efforts in 05'. The 9/20 Walk Off will live forever in White Sox folklore...

Soxman219
09-04-2008, 10:12 PM

Same here. When I got the Sox World Series DVD and watched that walkoff I was about to cry. But it was tears of joy and one of those moments that make me proud to be a Sox fan.

JUribe1989
09-04-2008, 10:32 PM
I'll remember Joe for these moments pre-2005
8/27/2002 Walk-off grand slam against Blue Jays
5/25/2003 3 run walkoff HR in bottom 12th against Tigers
4/14/2004 RBI single to complete comeback against Royals
4/23/2004 Sac fly to seal deal against D-Rays
5/1/2004 Walk-off sac-fly against the Jays
7/24/2004 Walkoff homer against Ugueth Urbina to defeat Tigers and put Sox in first for the last time of the season
9/23/2004 3 run walkoff homer after a botched bunt by Jamie Burke to complete the comeback against the Royals 7-6.

And these moments 2005-Now
Walk-off HR against Tribe in September '05
Walk-off 2B against Halos in ALCS game 2
Game-tying HR against Halos in ALCS game 5
Go-ahead RBI 1B against Halos in ALCS game 5
Go-ahead HR in World Series game 1
Solo HR off Oswalt to get Sox started in game 3
Brooks Robinson-like display of fielding in all of World Series
5/3/2006 Grand Slam against Rafael Soriano in wild May game against M's
Catch against the tarp against M's

Sadly, everything I'll remember will be partly clouded by his horrendous choice for an agent and his ignorance in listening to his agent over team doctors about back surgery.

Frankfan4life
09-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Everyone brought up some really great Joe Crede moments, some I'll also never forget. However, one incident involving Crede stands out for me and it has nothing to do with his play on the field. It was Kid's Day and I took my grandson. We were standing in a long line to get an autograph from Joe Crede. I had just bought my grandson one of those Build-a-Bears from Navy Pier that was all decked out in White Sox gear. When we finally got to the end of the line the usher cut us off and said no more autographs. My grandson was crushed. I begged Joe to please do just one more for my grandson. Without hesitating, he signed the back of my grandson's jersey and he signed the bear's jersey too while I took pictures. I had one of the pictures of Crede signing my grandson's back framed. He gave my grandson such a thrill that day and he is still so proud of that picture.

I will also miss him because he is one of the nicest guys in baseball. I hope he fully recovers from his back problems and goes on to have more productive seasons, in or out of a Sox uni.

guillensdisciple
09-04-2008, 11:33 PM
I just watched the walk off home run he hit against the Indians in 05' and it gave me chills, truly phenomenal. He has such a great swing, if he perfected it and didn't get injured he could be one of the games elites. Also his affinity for the clutch hit make him a great player for any team.

Flight #24
09-05-2008, 12:17 AM
For me, the name Crede will always initially evoke that wonderful image of him jumping in the pile with glove raised in the air after the last out in 05.

Then there will be the clutch hits/HRs, the generally exceptional D, and the seemingly standup and good clubhouse guy.

But unfortunately, it will be tainted slightly because I will remember how after proclaiming that he wanted to stay with the Sox and would even go as far as to change agents, when the Sox made the first move and asked about an extension, his agent said they weren't interested without even giving a highball offer, and then Crede hid behind semantics "We never received an offer". Of course you didn't, when the discussion was broached, your representative said you weren't interested in any offer.

Pear-Zin-Ski
09-05-2008, 12:51 AM
Crede had a amazing glove, no doubt. But this "Joe Clutch" title people have on him is bull****. He had two good halves at the plate.

Id cast my vote his way for Mr. Clutch...not just because of 2005 for that matter....

The flashy plays on defense, the game tiers, winners, enders...whatever they may be called...one of my favorite and most fun to watch Sox players....

Pear-Zin-Ski
09-05-2008, 12:55 AM
I almost forgot...he'll always remind me of my ex who would've left me for him if at all in the realm of reality!

haha...heres to you bud! :gulp:

fozzy
09-05-2008, 03:10 AM
to me crede will always remind me of the type of player harold baines was both were very good players the had the potential to be great but injuries and bad luck killed it. harold was my childhood hero and had a much better career but you could compare crede to him. crede always respected the white sox uniform, he was always key in the clutch.... man on second no outs down by one in the 8th you wanted crede up, played great d we would not have won the ws without him at 3rd, the story that was told about joe treated the guys grandson? i've got almost the some one when i took my nephews to the game joe went out of his way to sign 3 balls for them and talk to them personally. one of my favorite players ever

wilburaga
09-05-2008, 07:16 AM
Do you hate Robin Ventura?

I did for a while. But I'm a forgiving soul.

W

slavko
09-05-2008, 11:37 AM
I just watched the walk off home run he hit against the Indians in 05' and it gave me chills, truly phenomenal. He has such a great swing, if he perfected it and didn't get injured he could be one of the games elites. Also his affinity for the clutch hit make him a great player for any team.

He has a long swing. A good looking swing, but too long to ever produce a higher BA. He was allowed time to develop because of his glove and many people here were down on him and wanted him replaced until the BA came around a little bit. That's what I remember.

hi im skot
09-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Sadly, everything I'll remember will be partly clouded by his horrendous choice for an agent and his ignorance in listening to his agent over team doctors about back surgery.

Does anyone ever do any research before posting?