Rdy2PlayBall
09-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Kept the same... and took only a few minutes. :redneck

hose
09-03-2008, 11:11 PM
good lord did ARod crush that ball.:o:

DumpJerry
09-03-2008, 11:17 PM
Since this involved the Yankees, I assume ESPN has pre-empted all programming tonight to do an in-depth analysis of "the situation."

knocko94
09-03-2008, 11:31 PM
So was the replay conclusive? How did it work? I need details people.

DeadMoney
09-03-2008, 11:31 PM
Since this involved the Yankees, I assume ESPN has pre-empted all programming tonight to do an in-depth analysis of "the situation."

Tough to pre-empt a game that is already being shown on the network! :redneck

You could add A-Rod to that assumption though, and be just as correct.

A-Rod and the Yankees -- ESPN is there!

doublem23
09-03-2008, 11:36 PM

Not really, granted we could only see the ESPN replays and both the Rays and Yankees had local broadcasts that may have had a different angle, but the ESPN replay shows that the ball hit the catwalk well to the foul side of the foul line up there, however, it also showed it may have hooked around the actual foul pole in LF. What ESPN had was definitely not conclusive evidence to overturn the HR call, but it wouldn't have been conclusive to overturn a foul ball call if that had been made, IMO.

I hope MLB makes every stadium fix a pair of cameras that look directly down each line. Otherwise, there's really no point. :dunno:

oeo
09-03-2008, 11:36 PM

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200809033416587

You can watch it there.

oeo
09-03-2008, 11:38 PM
I hope MLB makes every stadium fix a pair of cameras that look directly down each line. Otherwise, there's really no point. :dunno:

I'd imagine that's something they will do next year.

It's certainly not a perfect system right now, but it could end up helping a lot in October this year.

doublem23
09-03-2008, 11:39 PM
I'd imagine that's something they will do next year.

I wouldn't assume the MLB would make that logical a decision. :cool:

DumpJerry
09-03-2008, 11:47 PM
Tough to pre-empt a game that is already being shown on the network! :redneck

You could add A-Rod to that assumption though, and be just as correct.

A-Rod and the Yankees -- ESPN is there!
They also have ESPN2, ESPN News, etc., etc.

Billy Ashley
09-03-2008, 11:54 PM
Anyone else find it funny that this historic home run very well may have come in a game that means nothing? Sure Boston has a rooting interest against Tampa but the Yankees are pretty much DOA at this point.

I'm not really an A-rod basher but he's got some bad luck... another milestone in sort of a nothing spot for the Yankees.

DSpivack
09-04-2008, 01:25 AM
Anyone else find it funny that this historic home run very well may have come in a game that means nothing? Sure Boston has a rooting interest against Tampa but the Yankees are pretty much DOA at this point.

I'm not really an A-rod basher but he's got some bad luck... another milestone in sort of a nothing spot for the Yankees.

A-Rod hitting another meaningless HR at the end of the game; fans in the Bronx will eat that up.

They also have ESPN2, ESPN News, etc., etc.

Don't forget about ESPN 8, The Ocho (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50jVa25gmWs)!

Brian26
09-04-2008, 06:41 PM
The actual telecast last night with Schulman and Sutcliffe was embarrassing as this happened live.

Sutcliffe was completely unprepared and didn't realize that the umpires may get different camera angles from New York than what the ESPN crew offered, even though this has been mentioned in every article about instant replay since it was officially adopted. What made it worse is that Schulman mentioned this twice before Sutcliffe said, "well, they're seeing what we're seeing."

After that nonsense, you had to listen to Schulman and Sutcliffe both not be able to grasp the concept that the camera angle that ESPN was showing wasn't straight down the line, so there was a possibility that the ball hooked around the foul pole before it bounced off the catwalk in foul territory. ESPN finally showed their best camera angle down the line, which clearly showed the ball hooking around the top of the foul pole, and both guys still missed it.

turners56
09-04-2008, 06:43 PM
That hit the foul pole, it should of been a easy call.

fusillirob1983
09-04-2008, 07:05 PM
That hit the foul pole, it should of been a easy call.

No, it hit the catwalk.

turners56
09-04-2008, 07:08 PM
No, it hit the catwalk.

Look again. (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2008_09_03_nyamlb_tbamlb_1&mode=wrap)

Brian26
09-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Look again. (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2008_09_03_nyamlb_tbamlb_1&mode=wrap)

No, it hit the catwalk behind the foupole. I watched the game and saw the different angles. I just wrote about this three posts above this one.

turners56
09-04-2008, 07:31 PM
No, it hit the catwalk behind the foupole. I watched the game and saw the different angles. I just wrote about this three posts above this one.

It clearly looked like the pole. Oh well.

october23sp
09-04-2008, 11:27 PM
It clearly looked like the pole. Oh well.

I'm with you Turner on the angles they used in that clip but in all other clips it looks like it hit the catwalk. Why the **** is there a catwalk in play?

pierzynski07
09-04-2008, 11:45 PM
:scratch: How is the catwalk considered "in play"?

veeter
09-05-2008, 09:38 AM
The actual telecast last night with Schulman and Sutcliffe was embarrassing as this happened live.

Sutcliffe was completely unprepared and didn't realize that the umpires may get different camera angles from New York than what the ESPN crew offered, even though this has been mentioned in every article about instant replay since it was officially adopted. What made it worse is that Schulman mentioned this twice before Sutcliffe said, "well, they're seeing what we're seeing."

After that nonsense, you had to listen to Schulman and Sutcliffe both not be able to grasp the concept that the camera angle that ESPN was showing wasn't straight down the line, so there was a possibility that the ball hooked around the foul pole before it bounced off the catwalk in foul territory. ESPN finally showed their best camera angle down the line, which clearly showed the ball hooking around the top of the foul pole, and both guys still missed it.Exactly. While those two dopes kept on about the 'bad' angle shot, ESPN would show the better, obvious shot. But since they were too busy blabbing they didn't notice it. I think Sutcliffe sucks.

pierzynski07
09-05-2008, 11:01 PM
Just to make everyone happy, I'll point out that it wasn't Schulman, but rather Red Sox radio commentator Dave O'Brien.

BleacherBandit
09-05-2008, 11:08 PM
Great, a historic moment in MLB history has to occur in that dump.