PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox tie Indians consecutive sellout record at 455

Fenway
09-03-2008, 04:40 PM
This afternoon the Red Sox tied the Indians MLB record for consecutive sellouts at 455. The Boston streak began in May of 2003 and who knows when it will end.

Looking back it is amazing the Indians had the record to begin with.

Madvora
09-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Am I remembering this wrong, or did the Cleveland streak end with a Sox game?
I thought I remembered Hawk talking about it during a broadcast.

sox1970
09-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Am I remembering this wrong, or did the Cleveland streak end with a Sox game?
I thought I remembered Hawk talking about it during a broadcast.

Yes, game 2 of the 2001 season.

hellview
09-03-2008, 04:47 PM
You should sell out that many when you play in a god damn little league field.

Fenway
09-03-2008, 04:59 PM
You should sell out that many when you play in a god damn little league field.

You mean 'lyric little bandbox' :tongue:

Next season it will have more seats than USCF as they adding 2,500
seats in right field.

chisoxfanatic
09-03-2008, 05:00 PM
You are not your attendance.

Fenway
09-03-2008, 05:15 PM
The key to this streak is the way ownership now sells tickets. They put the April, May and September tickets on sale in early December and people buy them as Christmas presents. The cool weather games were always easy to get tix for but not anymore.

Fenway will be around for a long time. They just announced a new $10 million dollar scoreboard which they claim will rival Kansas City and Atlanta.

The park was actually rebuilt in 1934 after a fire so it is in decent shape.

Foulke You
09-03-2008, 05:25 PM
You mean 'lyric little bandbox' :tongue:

Next season it will have more seats than USCF as they adding 2,500
seats in right field.
:o: I was there on vacation for last Friday and Saturday's butt kickings against the White Sox and I honestly don't have any idea where they are going to put those seats. It seems every square inch of real estate in that park is being used. I was told by a Red Sox tour guide that the ballpark is going to get landmark status after 2012 so they are trying to cram as many seats as possible in there before the landmark status kicks in. The Kenmore green line stop is already congested beyond belief. I can only imagine it getting worse with more seats added. My wife and I walked to the Prudential Center stop just to get on a train without dying of heat and asphyxiation in the Kenmore stop. It is worse than Sox 35th Red Line after a ballgame.

By the way Fenway, I truly feel sorry for the diehard Red Sox fans that used to populate that park. My wife and I couldn't get over the difference in the crowd between being there in '02 and '03 compared with '08. There were several instances especially on Friday's game that I thought I was in Wrigley East. It isn't quite at the level obnoxiousness that Wrigley gets but it is definitely getting there. If Wrigley is a 10 on the annoying meter than Fenway Park is at a solid 7 right now. Lots of drinking, lots of "in your face" taunts in our direction, annoying clueless fans sitting around us, people leaving the game in droves after Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" played, and definitely pompous attitude from lots of fans all around. It was a completely different Fenway Park experience this time around. I'm glad I was able to go there before it was overtaken by the clueless masses. It reminds me of Bulls crowds when Jordan was the "it" ticket and everyone just had to go. Lots of diehard Bulls fans were shut out. Between the success of the Red Sox, the tourist attraction of Fenway Park, and the highest ticket prices in baseball, I think a lot of the real Red Sox fans are watching at home on NESN.

I do like your organist though. I can definitely hear the Nancy Faust inspired play in his work. The ballpark still looks great too despite being old. The Red Sox organization does a far better job of upkeep on their park than the Cubs have done. The bathrooms are more plentiful and have modern plumbing, the park empties quicker than Wrigley, and it doesn't have a foul smell on the concourses either. The concourse expansion work they have done is also a welcome addition. The red brick facade also looks great. We noticed some major construction going on the buildings behind the CF and RF walls accross from the ballpark. What exactly are they putting there? More bars and parking? Also, how come they don't let you go on the field anymore for the ballpark tours? We did it again this time and were disappointed that the tour ended at the green monster seats. In 2002, we were able to walk down on the warning track and actually touch the green monster and go in the dugouts.

Fenway
09-03-2008, 05:45 PM
The new seats will replace the temporary ones beyond first base and extend to the Budweiser roof deck in right.

Good observation about the makeup of the crowd and yes sadly many diehard fans are watching on NESN. The Red Sox are the only team that has no free over the air TV games ( except for FOX ) as they make too much on NESN to put the games over the air. This has hurt a lot of hospitals and nursing homes that don't offer NESN.

Fenway has become a destination theme park for baseball fans everywhere and with Yankee Stadium closing down it will only get worse. One friend was furious that the best tickets he could get this year were for Tampa ( how has that worked out? ) Throw in that Boston is a city with a lot to do between games and fans will keep coming.

The Fenway organist, Josh Kantor, grew up being a huge fan of Nancy and it shows in his style. The Red Sox have given him more playing time and overall they have found a good mix of recorded and organ music. Nancy told me last month that Josh was at USCF in June and she is thrilled for him.

Problem at the Kenmore subway is the new station was supposed to be finished in April of 2007 and like anything else in Boston is over budget and delayed. The Boston subway has the same problems as the CTA and the Green Line really needs to be closed down for a couple of years to fix the tunnel problems. They finally bought new trains for the Blue Line but the Red Line cars are pushing 40 years of service and in fact were the last cars built by Pullman-Standard of Chicago.

The tours do not go on the field on days the team is home.

Hope you enjoyed Boston.

:o: I was there on vacation for last Friday and Saturday's butt kickings against the White Sox and I honestly don't have any idea where they are going to put those seats. It seems every square inch of real estate in that park is being used. I was told by a Red Sox tour guide that the ballpark is going to get landmark status after 2012 so they are trying to cram as many seats as possible in there before the landmark status kicks in. The Kenmore green line stop is already congested beyond belief. I can only imagine it getting worse with more seats added. My wife and I walked to the Prudential Center stop just to get on a train without dying of heat and asphyxiation in the Kenmore stop. It is worse than Sox 35th Red Line after a ballgame.

By the way Fenway, I truly feel sorry for the diehard Red Sox fans that used to populate that park. My wife and I couldn't get over the difference in the crowd between being there in '02 and '03 compared with '08. There were several instances especially on Friday's game that I thought I was in Wrigley East. It isn't quite at the level obnoxiousness that Wrigley gets but it is definitely getting there. If Wrigley is a 10 on the annoying meter than Fenway Park is at a solid 7 right now. Lots of drinking, lots of "in your face" taunts in our direction, annoying clueless fans sitting around us, people leaving the game in droves after Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" played, and definitely pompous attitude from lots of fans all around. It was a completely different Fenway Park experience this time around. I'm glad I was able to go there before it was overtaken by the clueless masses. It reminds me of Bulls crowds when Jordan was the "it" ticket and everyone just had to go. Lots of diehard Bulls fans were shut out. Between the success of the Red Sox, the tourist attraction of Fenway Park, and the highest ticket prices in baseball, I think a lot of the real Red Sox fans are watching at home on NESN.

I do like your organist though. I can definitely hear the Nancy Faust inspired play in his work. The ballpark still looks great too despite being old. The Red Sox organization does a far better job of upkeep on their park than the Cubs have done. The bathrooms are more plentiful and have modern plumbing, the park empties quicker than Wrigley, and it doesn't have a foul smell on the concourses either. The concourse expansion work they have done is also a welcome addition. The red brick facade also looks great. We noticed some major construction going on the buildings behind the CF and RF walls accross from the ballpark. What exactly are they putting there? More bars and parking? Also, how come they don't let you go on the field anymore for the ballpark tours? We did it again this time and were disappointed that the tour ended at the green monster seats. In 2002, we were able to walk down on the warning track and actually touch the green monster and go in the dugouts.

BringBackBlkJack
09-04-2008, 08:21 AM

It's amazing the Tribe was able to retain their attendance marks after the rough departure of Jack Parkman in the 90's...

Iwritecode
09-04-2008, 09:08 AM
This afternoon the Red Sox tied the Indians MLB record for consecutive sellouts at 455. The Boston streak began in May of 2003 and who knows when it will end.

Brand new stadium plus 5 division titles in a row helps...

beasly213
09-04-2008, 09:26 AM
I remember when all the Indian fans came in hoards to Sox Park when they were in town because they couldn't get tickets to the Jake.

I'm so glad those days are over, those fans were so obnoxious and at the time I hated Jim Thome more than any other player ever.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-04-2008, 10:04 AM
You are not your attendance.

Or your post count.

And attendance threads can get you banned Fens. :D:

Foulke You
09-04-2008, 11:36 AM
The new seats will replace the temporary ones beyond first base and extend to the Budweiser roof deck in right.

Good observation about the makeup of the crowd and yes sadly many diehard fans are watching on NESN. The Red Sox are the only team that has no free over the air TV games ( except for FOX ) as they make too much on NESN to put the games over the air. This has hurt a lot of hospitals and nursing homes that don't offer NESN.

Fenway has become a destination theme park for baseball fans everywhere and with Yankee Stadium closing down it will only get worse. One friend was furious that the best tickets he could get this year were for Tampa ( how has that worked out? ) Throw in that Boston is a city with a lot to do between games and fans will keep coming.

The Fenway organist, Josh Kantor, grew up being a huge fan of Nancy and it shows in his style. The Red Sox have given him more playing time and overall they have found a good mix of recorded and organ music. Nancy told me last month that Josh was at USCF in June and she is thrilled for him.

Problem at the Kenmore subway is the new station was supposed to be finished in April of 2007 and like anything else in Boston is over budget and delayed. The Boston subway has the same problems as the CTA and the Green Line really needs to be closed down for a couple of years to fix the tunnel problems. They finally bought new trains for the Blue Line but the Red Line cars are pushing 40 years of service and in fact were the last cars built by Pullman-Standard of Chicago.

The tours do not go on the field on days the team is home.

Hope you enjoyed Boston.
We did the tour on a day that the Red Sox were in New York playing the Yankees. The grounds crew was out there though working so perhaps that was the reason we weren't allowed on the field. It looked like they might have still been trying to fix the sod in CF where the Neil Diamond stage was.

We always enjoy Boston for vacation. Definitely a fun Summer city much like Chicago. Stayed at the Mariott Residence Inn over in Boston Harbor about a stone's throw from the Bank North Garden and the North End. Also ate lots of "Chowdah" during my stay. It is a good thing I don't live in Boston because I love that soup and would probably gain a 30lbs eating what is essentially a bowl of cream with clam and potato in it.:D:

I watched the NESN broadcast of Sunday's Red Sox/White Sox game from my hotel and they do a nice job with the broadcast. However, I didn't care much for the announce crew of Remy and Orsello. They weren't horrible but I just found them to be kind've bland. A lot of dead air and very little excitement even when the Red Sox were doing well. They also have a bad habit of letting the action play out on screen and waiting too long afterward to call what they are seeing. Just my .02.

sox1970
09-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Brand new stadium plus 5 division titles in a row helps...

Plus the Browns were gone 96-98, which meant more entertainment dollars went to the Indians.

tebman
09-04-2008, 11:44 AM

The phenomenon of "destination" has intrigued me for a while. Like most of us here, I get this curl in my lip when I'm reminded (usually by a Tribune-owned voice) of what a Magical Place the Cubs' ballpark is. It seems that same mythology has landed over Fenway Park, and I wonder how much of that is genuine demand and how much is well-orchestrated hype?

The Tribune has had WGN radio and TV shilling for Wrigley Field for many years, for obvious reasons. It seems their work was so well done that they've created a monster. But the Tribune also got lucky in that the once-sketchy neighborhood around the ballpark became trendy. I don't know how much of the Wrigley-Field-as-Disneyland tripe is due to the Tribune's promotion and how much is due to demographics.

Fenway, do you see the same thing in Boston? I don't know the neighborhood/demographic/zoning dynamics there, and I don't know how skilled the Red Sox management really is. Were they lucky or clever?

Fenway
09-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Fenway really has become a destination and that is proven by the tours that run 9-4 PM 52 weeks a year. Last year the tours attracted 400,000 fans at $12 a head. Fans from everywhere want to see the park at least once.

Unlike Wrigley ownership has spent millions trying to upgrade the park and it is lightyears better than it was in 2001.

This ownership is creative and one example is Fanfoto which you see at USCF but is owned by the Fenway Sports Group which is a division of New England Sports Ventures which owns the Sawx.

Kenmore Square has been transformed from a seedy area to upscale. The Red Sox are part of it but it is more because of Boston
University and the Longwood Medical Area.

The Red Sox have bought EVERYTHING on both Boylston and Brookline Ave just south of the park so they do have land if and when it is time for a new park.

Orsillo and Remy are OK ( radio is much better ) but Orsillo came cheap and replaced Sean McDonough who was let go after he criticized the new owners on WFAN after his father died and actually complained that the flowers the team sent looked cheap compared to the Yankees tribute.

The phenomenon of "destination" has intrigued me for a while. Like most of us here, I get this curl in my lip when I'm reminded (usually by a Tribune-owned voice) of what a Magical Place the Cubs' ballpark is. It seems that same mythology has landed over Fenway Park, and I wonder how much of that is genuine demand and how much is well-orchestrated hype?

The Tribune has had WGN radio and TV shilling for Wrigley Field for many years, for obvious reasons. It seems their work was so well done that they've created a monster. But the Tribune also got lucky in that the once-sketchy neighborhood around the ballpark became trendy. I don't know how much of the Wrigley-Field-as-Disneyland tripe is due to the Tribune's promotion and how much is due to demographics.

Fenway, do you see the same thing in Boston? I don't know the neighborhood/demographic/zoning dynamics there, and I don't know how skilled the Red Sox management really is. Were they lucky or clever?

tebman
09-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Fenway really has become a destination and that is proven by the tours that run 9-4 PM 52 weeks a year. Last year the tours attracted 400,000 fans at $12 a head. Fans from everywhere want to see the park at least once.

Unlike Wrigley ownership has spent millions trying to upgrade the park and it is lightyears better than it was in 2001.

This ownership is creative and one example is Fanfoto which you see at USCF but is owned by the Fenway Sports Group which is a division of New England Sports Ventures which owns the Sawx.

Kenmore Square has been transformed from a seedy area to upscale. The Red Sox are part of it but it is more because of Boston
University and the Longwood Medical Area.

The Red Sox have bought EVERYTHING on both Boylston and Brookline Ave just south of the park so they do have land if and when it is time for a new park.

Orsillo and Remy are OK ( radio is much better ) but Orsillo came cheap and replaced Sean McDonough who was let go after he criticized the new owners on WFAN after his father died and actually complained that the flowers the team sent looked cheap compared to the Yankees tribute.

Thanks, Fenway. Sounds like the Red Sox brass were more clever than lucky. I hope for their sake they don't forget the parable of the golden goose -- ticket prices can't keep doubling forever.