PDA

View Full Version : Sox Best Hitter

JUribe1989
09-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Simple, this year who do you believe is the best Sox hitter?

Daver
09-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Jerry Owens.

DumpJerry
09-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Whoever it was who hit Olivio in KC.

ChiSoxFan7
09-03-2008, 02:41 PM
I'd like to say alexei, but i voted TCQ. He does it all. Power, RBIs, Good contact, and good eye.

but the real reason is how pitchers pitch him. People still attack alexei, i haven't seen a pitcher really attack TCQ in a while...so if the scouts think that TCQ is scarier i'll tend to agree.

chisoxfanatic
09-03-2008, 02:49 PM
TCQ. When I think of "best" hitter, I think of who has had the most production. TCQ is #1 in runs, home runs, RBIs (by a considerable margin), OBP, and SLG. Meanwhile, he's near the top in almost every other category.

whitesox901
09-03-2008, 05:58 PM
TCQ, if we can sign him maybe he can be a second coming of Frank

DumpJerry
09-03-2008, 06:22 PM
TCQ, if we can sign him maybe he can be a second coming of Frank
I'm sure Kenny will lock him for a few years in the off-season.

btrain929
09-03-2008, 06:22 PM
This is like starting a thread saying "who's our best closer?" It's not even close who's our best hitter: TCQ.

Next....

Brian26
09-03-2008, 06:59 PM
The Sox best pure hitter is Pierzynski. Unfortuntely, AJ throws away a few too many at bats to have the rock solid numbers to show it. Against a tough lefty, I'd take AJ at the plate over anybody on the team in a pressure situation.

Brian26
09-03-2008, 07:07 PM
TCQ. When I think of "best" hitter, I think of who has had the most production. TCQ is #1 in runs, home runs, RBIs (by a considerable margin), OBP, and SLG. Meanwhile, he's near the top in almost every other category.

Home runs are not a measure of how good a hitter is, as Sammy Sosa and Dave Kingman were not good hitters. RBIs are, in part, a function of the hitters in front of you and their ability to get on base. OBP takes into account walks and HBP. You left out batting average, which is one of the two most important measures.

SoxNation05
09-03-2008, 09:44 PM
The Sox best pure hitter is Pierzynski. Unfortuntely, AJ throws away a few too many at bats to have the rock solid numbers to show it. Against a tough lefty, I'd take AJ at the plate over anybody on the team in a pressure situation.
you must love controversy

ChiSoxFan7
09-03-2008, 10:25 PM
you must love controversy

or just a smart player who may not be the greatest, but will give it his all within the rules to win...:?:

then again if he wasn't on my team i would be complaining out the ass about him

Mod edit: See, this mess is what happens when someone screws up editing in the quote function, and then someone else quotes the screwed up post. I fixed the screwed up edited quote in SoxNations post, but I can't even begin to figure out how you wanted this one to come out.

If you try to edit a quote, and it comes out a mess, either fix it, or if you don't know how, delete your post!

MCHSoxFan
09-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Simple, this year who do you believe is the best Sox hitter?

Just this year or for a lil while? If not JUST for 2008, JD, of course. Just 2008, CQ. Main reason really, he has really carried us and motivated this season.

chisoxfanatic
09-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Home runs are not a measure of how good a hitter is, as Sammy Sosa and Dave Kingman were not good hitters. RBIs are, in part, a function of the hitters in front of you and their ability to get on base. OBP takes into account walks and HBP. You left out batting average, which is one of the two most important measures.
That's because he is not #1 in that department, and I was listing all of the things he is #1 in. He only trails three guys in that department and could very well leap into the #2 spot (behind TCM) with a solid weekend, it's that close.

chisoxfanatic
09-03-2008, 11:30 PM
or just a smart player who may not be the greatest, but will give it his all within the rules to win...:?:

then again if he wasn't on my team i would be complaining out the ass about him
If you'd consider the question "Who is the smartest player on the team?" then AJ wins that one cleanly.

Billy Ashley
09-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Quentin and Dye and then everybody else.

Given his youth and upside Quentin gets vote.

Ramirez is a good hitting second basemen who doesn't walk. He's a valuable player, but Quentin is at this point a fringe superstar. He does this again next season and he's on the short list for best hitter in the league.

Save McCuddy's
09-04-2008, 12:30 AM

my god -- is your pallet function jammed or can you not locate the teal?

soulfly
09-04-2008, 02:33 AM
Andy Gonzalez.

Oh you mean this year?

Nick Swisher.

Do I even need to teal this?

Didn't think so.

Nellie_Fox
09-04-2008, 02:40 AM
Andy Gonzalez.

Oh you mean this year?

Nick Swisher.

Do I even need to teal this?

Didn't think so.Swisher has become a pretty damn good contributor. No need for the sniping.

Mohoney
09-04-2008, 03:16 AM
Swisher has become a pretty damn good contributor. No need for the sniping.

100% agreed. Sure, his overall numbers stink because of his horrid first half, but he's had some hot streaks in the second half, he gets on base, and he has some pop.

Right now, I really can't find fault with anybody in our lineup. I wish Griffey would have produced more, but I figured some adjustment would be in order, and if we do make the playoffs, Jim Thome and Ken Griffey Jr. provide some left handed power that will definitely affect the mentality of relievers.