PDA

View Full Version : Zambrano going to see doctor

1908<2005
09-03-2008, 01:01 AM
per wgn radio.

thomas35forever
09-03-2008, 01:04 AM
Probably nothing. I'd be shocked if it were really bad.

WhiteSox5187
09-03-2008, 01:07 AM
Probably nothing. I'd be shocked if it were really bad.
He's looked pretty awful his last couple of times out there and has a lot of innings in that arm...

LoveYourSuit
09-03-2008, 01:13 AM
Have to side with JR on big contracts for starting pitchers.

The list is unreal of how many busts after a big deal:

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-03-2008, 07:44 AM
He said he had a tired arm - why not give him more than one start's skip rest and let him chill? No - Rothschild green lights it and out he goes.

I don't care for anything Cubs, and I hate Zambozo for his mound antics, but I hope he's not hurt.....and if he is, well....welcome blue Kool Aid Excuse Bus.

DumpJerry
09-03-2008, 08:15 AM
What kind of doc? Head doc or arm doc?

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-03-2008, 08:30 AM

:kneeslap:Arm doc.

DrCrawdad
09-03-2008, 08:41 AM
He said he had a tired arm - why not give him more than one start's skip rest and let him chill? No - Rothschild green lights it and out he goes.

I don't care for anything Cubs, and I hate Zambozo for his mound antics, but I hope he's not hurt.....and if he is, well....welcome blue Kool Aid Excuse Bus.

I love hearing Cubbie fans complain about the antics of Valverde, but have selective amnesia about Zambrano not to mention Sosa.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080903/capt.c542d9b95ff24ac7b422def21ac587c5.astros_cubs_ baseball_cxc121.jpg?x=180&y=200&xc=1&yc=1&wc=300&hc=333&q=70&sig=Ls.4gaCe4vrODLh5k4YAMw-- (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/photo;_ylt=AuZJzPnD4dCjPck5LPGYzUWpu7YF?slug=c542d 9b95ff24ac7b422def21ac587c5.astros_cubs_baseball_c xc121&prov=ap)

From what I've read in the papers today, the news about Zambrano is getting worse for Cubbie fans. Now it's not a mere "tired arm" but he's going to get an opinion from the Cubbies team orthopedist.

And for those who say, "oh, big deal they still have Dempster, Lilly & Harden remember that Harden is dealing with his own arm problems. He's having his start pushed back. Lilly doesn't inspire fear and Dempster, I expect a post-season meltdown from him. And speaking of Dempster, remember how Cubbie fans liked to talk about "career years" with the '05 Sox. Hello Ryan Dumpster!

http://itsgonnahappen.com/images/si%20sign.jpg
Yes, I expect it will happen, again!

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-03-2008, 09:01 AM
From what I've read in the papers today, the news about Zambrano is getting worse for Cubbie fans. Now it's not a mere "tired arm" but he's going to get an opinion from the Cubbies team orthopedist.

And for those who say, "oh, big deal they still have Dempster, Lilly & Harden remember that Harden is dealing with his own arm problems. He's having his start pushed back.

I think if Zambozo does go down, then Lou will overwork his starters because he has no choice - I was channel surfing and saw Gascan get booed off the mound. Unless Balsa Wood can pitch 4 innings in relief(or, in other words, no way in hell!!), the Cubs are three and out in the postseason, AGAIN. They have the bats, but not the pitching - and Harden is one or two outings away from getting shelled. He got the freshman bounce for moving into the NL - now that people have seen him they'll begin to tee up on it.

PatK
09-03-2008, 09:05 AM
I love hearing Cubbie fans complain about the antics of Valverde, but have selective amnesia about Zambrano not to mention Sosa.

Or Jim Edmonds.

I know a ton of Cubs fans that despised him with the Cards, bitching about what a hot dog and show off he is, and how he admires his home runs.

They've done a complete 180 on that. Now he's a "great fielder". And I heard one excuse for him admiring his home runs is that he has trouble getting out of his wide batting stance after swinging hard.

Domeshot17
09-03-2008, 09:32 AM
Or Jim Edmonds.

I know a ton of Cubs fans that despised him with the Cards, bitching about what a hot dog and show off he is, and how he admires his home runs.

They've done a complete 180 on that. Now he's a "great fielder". And I heard one excuse for him admiring his home runs is that he has trouble getting out of his wide batting stance after swinging hard.

Let's be fair here, we despised AJ before he got here. He was one of the most hated Twins in recent memory. Would you say that is still anywhere near the case?

Jaffar
09-03-2008, 10:08 AM
The way I heard it, Zambrano took himself out of the game last night because he "didn't feel good" and he wasn't talking about being sick.

oeo
09-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Let's be fair here, we despised AJ before he got here. He was one of the most hated Twins in recent memory. Would you say that is still anywhere near the case?

For the most part, we took AJ in with open arms. How many Cubs fans said they didn't care if he was wearing a Cubs uniform, they still wouldn't cheer for him?

They've done a complete 180 on that. Now he's a "great fielder".

I've always hated Edmonds because I never thought he was as great of fielder as made out to be. He has a knack for making routine plays look spectacular...always has, and apparently always will.

Iwritecode
09-03-2008, 10:39 AM

I think most of us hated him because he always kicked our asses. Not because he was a big show-off.

SOXPHILE
09-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Yeah, I guess letting him toss 130 pitches in a game might not have been such a good idea, huh ? The high pitch counts he routinely has will take it's toll after a while.

Crawdad: Funny you should mention Velverde hotdogging. I heard an inning of Saturday's game on 720 AM, Radio For The Living Dead, and Santo was going bannanas about him showing off and jumping all over the mound. I kept thinking, hey moron, I don't seem to recall you protesting Soriano's little outfield leaps, Sosa's bunny hops and looking for the camera to do his "kiss and heart tap", and I do believe you were called out by Gil Hodges for your bush league heel clicking back in your playing days.

slavko
09-03-2008, 11:01 AM
For the most part, we took AJ in with open arms. How many Cubs fans said they didn't care if he was wearing a Cubs uniform, they still wouldn't cheer for him?

I've always hated Edmonds because I never thought he was as great of fielder as made out to be. He has a knack for making routine plays look spectacular...always has, and apparently always will.

Why, just last night, he loafed back to the vines on a deep fly and found himself in the wrong spot to jump and make the catch. Not only did the ball emerge from the vines, a second ball which had been in the vines emerged too! That went for a triple which started Gascan's adventure.

The vines have no place in the field of play. They provide little protection to a fielder. They interfere with the game. If Bud Selig had any sense, he'd make them get rid of the vines.

Bill Naharodny
09-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Yeah, I guess letting him toss 130 pitches in a game might not have been such a good idea, huh ? The high pitch counts he routinely has will take it's toll after a while.

Crawdad: Funny you should mention Velverde hotdogging. I heard an inning of Saturday's game on 720 AM, Radio For The Living Dead, and Santo was going bannanas about him showing off and jumping all over the mound. I kept thinking, hey moron, I don't seem to recall you protesting Soriano's little outfield leaps, Sosa's bunny hops and looking for the camera to do his "kiss and heart tap", and I do believe you were called out by Gil Hodges for your bush league heel clicking back in your playing days.

It must be catching up in the broadcast booths. Brenly was saying that you should act like you've been there before, and that, apparently, Valverde hadn't. I thought it was hilarious for him to say that, given the acts of: Zambrano (jumping around on the mound, screaming, pointing to God), Soriano (bunny hop, admiring home runs), Aramis Ramirez (admiring home runs), Edmonds (admiring home runs), and Marmol (jumping around on the mound).

09-03-2008, 11:33 AM
It must be September. Things are starting to fall apart on the North side.

NLaloosh
09-03-2008, 11:37 AM
1. The flubs have a huge lead. They should relax and rest their starters.

2. I do hope that he is injured.

3. I also hope that Wrigley blows up one day with all the cubs players and fans inside.

Does that make me a bad person?

soltrain21
09-03-2008, 12:01 PM

3. I also hope that Wrigley blows up one day with all the cubs players and fans inside.

Someone takes this a little too serious.

soxpride724
09-03-2008, 12:13 PM

Every team hits a bump in the road, you just don't want to hit that bump in September. They can still bounce back and I believe they will, the N.L is too weak for them to colapse.

Rocky Soprano
09-03-2008, 12:32 PM

I can't stand "fans" like you.

KenBerryGrab
09-03-2008, 12:35 PM

The last two certainly do not speak well of you.

09-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Every team hits a bump in the road, you just don't want to hit that bump in September. They can still bounce back and I believe they will, the N.L is too weak for them to colapse.

I don't think so. I'm expecting another Cubbie Catastrophy. Why wouldn't I? It never fails.

Expect bad news on Zambrano, Harden to hit the DL soon and fans to interfere.

minutia
09-03-2008, 12:43 PM
well....welcome blue Kool Aid Excuse Bus.
:rolling: We all knew it had to be coming right? I love that, Kook Aid Excuse bus. Ha!

eriqjaffe
09-03-2008, 12:44 PM

Does that make me a bad person?Yes. Yes, it does.

doublem23
09-03-2008, 12:47 PM

September swoon!

thomas35forever
09-03-2008, 01:29 PM

September swoon!
All right, class. Do we need to repeat what CUBS stands for? This will be on the test.

Cuck the Fubs
09-03-2008, 01:32 PM
All right, class. Do we need to repeat what CUBS stands for? This will be on the test.

Comedy Until Bears Season :tongue:

thomas35forever
09-03-2008, 01:39 PM
Comedy Until Bears Season :tongue:
Eh...I'll take it. Congrats on your A.

Sockinchisox
09-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Wrong thread.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Comedy Until BLACKHAWKS Season :tongue:

I changed it only because Bear fans will look forward to 2009 Spring Training.

minutia
09-03-2008, 03:16 PM
Your mouth to God's ears. My office is unbearable and someone defaced my Sox calander : (

minutia
09-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Completely Useless By September. I only hope.

turners56
09-03-2008, 04:04 PM
per wgn radio.

Why are you listening to WGN radio?

DumpJerry
09-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Completely useless by September.

A few years ago there was a thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37572) along these lines.

Sockinchisox
09-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Zambrano missed his MRI.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-080903-carlos-zambrano-mri-chicago-cubs,0,1776562.story

Edit: And now Harden is experiencing "discomfort"

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/1143310,harden090308.article

JB98
09-03-2008, 06:59 PM
I think the Cubbie fans are starting to experience some "discomfort" as well. I'm not sure any of it is warranted. They'll still make the playoffs with ease. It is pretty comical though.

Foulke You
09-03-2008, 07:08 PM
I think the Cubbie fans are starting to experience some "discomfort" as well. I'm not sure any of it is warranted. They'll still make the playoffs with ease. It is pretty comical though.
It's finally about time they faced some adversity in their season. Just about every other contender has had to deal with these things. The White Sox have had serious injuries to Crede, Linebrink, and Contreras and a slumping pitching staff. The Red Sox had the whole Manny distraction with injuries to Lowell, Drew, and Beckett to boot. The Rays are in uncharted pennant waters and have to do it without Crawford and Longoria. The Mets have had a shaky bullpen, a manager change, and have lost their closer. The Brewers lost Gallardo for the season in April, had their pricey closer Gagne be a complete bust, and have been hampered by Ned Yost brain cramps all year. It's about time the Cubs have to deal with stuff like this and here is hoping the adversity, losing streak, and mounting pressure will crack that team into a million pieces.:tongue:

turners56
09-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Completely useless by September.

A few years ago there was a thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37572) along these lines.

There's a lot of creativity in that thread.

RockJock07
09-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Per Lou, Big Z didn't show up for his MRI today. Also heard on Comcast that Harden is feeling some discomfort in his pitching arm although he is supposed to make his next Wednesday vs. St. Louis.

Cubs and how they handle injuries is always an adverture so I'm sure there is more than meets the eye with both pitchers. Bad news for the cubs, good for the Brewers.

doublem23
09-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Hey, dude, what's the score?

russ99
09-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Per Lou, Big Z didn't show up for his MRI today. Also heard on Comcast that Harden is feeling some discomfort in his pitching arm although he is supposed to make his next Wednesday vs. St. Louis.

Cubs and how they handle injuries is always an adverture so I'm sure there is more than meets the eye with both pitchers. Bad news for the cubs, good for the Brewers.

Yow. Cubs ministry of disinformation is in full effect.

What kind of numbskull doesn't show up for an MRI?

I didn't think Zambozo had a serious problem but now all bets are off. Still I think they have a lot more to worry about with Mr. Fragile Rich Harden.

chisoxfanatic
09-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Neither! He's going to see the Witch Doctor.

http://blog.bicyclism.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/witch_doctor.jpg

RadioheadRocks
09-04-2008, 06:44 AM

Or Jim Edmonds.

Which proves what I've been saying all along... the Cubs and their fans are masters at "do as I say, not as I do".

On an unrelated note (I just HAD to play "Caption It" with this one!):
http://itsgonnahappen.com/images/si%20sign.jpg

Yes, the sun is going to rise in the east and set in the west. :rolling:

DrCrawdad
09-04-2008, 08:14 AM
What was it the Cubbie spinmeisters were saying before the season? Wasn't it that the Cubbies had an "embarassing wealth of pitching" or something like that?

Well, now we shall see about that.

TommyJohn
09-04-2008, 08:17 AM
What was it the Cubbie spinmeisters were saying before the season? Wasn't it that the Cubbies had an "embarassing wealth of pitching" or something like that?

Well, now we shall see about that.

I believe one of the ones who wrote that was the Sun-Times resident 10 year old, Greg Giggly "No Hiding Sox Flaws" Couch.

Chez
09-04-2008, 09:19 AM
It's finally about time they faced some adversity in their season. Just about every other contender has had to deal with these things. The White Sox have had serious injuries to Crede, Linebrink, and Contreras and a slumping pitching staff. The Red Sox had the whole Manny distraction with injuries to Lowell, Drew, and Beckett to boot. The Rays are in uncharted pennant waters and have to do it without Crawford and Longoria. The Mets have had a shaky bullpen, a manager change, and have lost their closer. The Brewers lost Gallardo for the season in April, had their pricey closer Gagne be a complete bust, and have been hampered by Ned Yost brain cramps all year. It's about time the Cubs have to deal with stuff like this and here is hoping the adversity, losing streak, and mounting pressure will crack that team into a million pieces.:tongue:

To be fair (and I hate being fair when it comes to the Cubs), the Cubs have had to deal with injuries already this season. Soriano and Kerry Wood come to mind.

alohafri
09-04-2008, 09:29 AM
I was talking about Zambrano with a colleague who happens to be a cub fan. He said "don't be surprised if you hear the words 'rotator cuff' in the next few days."

oeo
09-04-2008, 09:32 AM
To be fair (and I hate being fair when it comes to the Cubs), the Cubs have had to deal with injuries already this season. Soriano and Kerry Wood come to mind.

Does Kerry Wood really count? The guy almost constantly has something wrong.

alohafri
09-04-2008, 02:59 PM
The Sun-Times is reporting "rotator cuff tendonitis" and that he will pitch next in Houston.

oeo
09-04-2008, 03:22 PM
The Sun-Times is reporting "rotator cuff tendonitis" and that he will pitch next in Houston.

Ooh, I think I've seen this one before.

Rocky Soprano
09-04-2008, 03:42 PM

So instead of giving him some time off so that he is ready for the playoffs they are going to trot him out there? Not surprising.

09-04-2008, 03:59 PM

I think this is what Freddy Garcia had, correct?

Just thinking of what rotator cuff tendonitis really means - and I don't claim to have medical knowledge, just things I've read - it's evidence of micro tears and fraying to the rotator cuff area that cause pain, loss of range of motion, and decrease in velocity.

It has different consequences on different pitchers, but clearly this is not good news for Zambrano, either short term and especially long term. Chances are they will try to calm it down and hope he can gut it out.

turners56
09-04-2008, 03:59 PM
The Cubs don't even need him for the rest of September. Starting him next week is dumb.

Luke
09-04-2008, 04:17 PM
I think this is what Freddy Garcia had, correct?

Just thinking of what rotator cuff tendonitis really means - and I don't claim to have medical knowledge, just things I've read - it's evidence of micro tears and fraying to the rotator cuff area that cause pain, loss of range of motion, and decrease in velocity.

It has different consequences on different pitchers, but clearly this is not good news for Zambrano, either short term and especially long term. Chances are they will try to calm it down and hope he can gut it out.

I think most pitchers will show tendonitis to one degree or another. The trick is, a shoulder MRI can be really hard to read, especially if there's any swelling. That swelling can make it hard to identify other issues, like small tears of the cuff or labrum tears.

DrCrawdad
09-04-2008, 04:20 PM
The Cubs don't even need him for the rest of September. Starting him next week is dumb.

IF and I say IF Zambrano only misses one start and magically gets better then he'll be in a routine for the post-season. If on the otherhand he misses several starts it could throw him off for the postseason.

Going into the final weeks of the season, having your #1 starter go down for any length of time AND your #2 or #3 (whichever # Harden is) is not good for the Cubbies.

thedudeabides
09-04-2008, 04:29 PM
I think most pitchers will show tendonitis to one degree or another. The trick is, a shoulder MRI can be really hard to read, especially if there's any swelling. That swelling can make it hard to identify other issues, like small tears of the cuff or labrum tears.

This is true and tendinitis is very tricky. Many times, the only way to fix it is rest. How much rest you need can vary greatly. And putting an exact time frame on these things is far from an exact science. This isn't the worst news for Cubs fans, but he may not be out of the woods yet. It really is a wait and see approach.

But, I can't see the Cubs hiding the severity of an injury.

Rocky Soprano
09-04-2008, 05:01 PM
IF and I say IF Zambrano only misses one start and magically gets better then he'll be in a routine for the post-season. If on the otherhand he misses several starts it could throw him off for the postseason.

Going into the final weeks of the season, having your #1 starter go down for any length of time AND your #2 or #3 (whichever # Harden is) is not good for the Cubbies.

Why are you calling them the Cubbies? That just sounds so dirty. :smile:

UofCSoxFan
09-04-2008, 05:12 PM
This is true and tendinitis is very tricky. Many times, the only way to fix it is rest. How much rest you need can vary greatly. And putting an exact time frame on these things is far from an exact science. This isn't the worst news for Cubs fans, but he may not be out of the woods yet. It really is a wait and see approach.

But, I can't see the Cubs hiding the severity of an injury.

I had tendanitis in my shoulder that flared up pretty good at the end of my summer season between senior year of high school and freshman year in college. I pretty much just had to shut down throwing for a 3 to 4 weeks and did some strengthening exercises and it was fine. I don't know how severe it really was compared to what Z may have, but if his is anything like mine was, the first few days I couldn't lift my hand above my head and then it gradually got better. It's the type of thing that if you push it too soon, as the Cubs and Z may be tempted to do, you can regress quickly.

C-Dawg
09-04-2008, 05:15 PM

I think the Disabled List comes pre-printed with those two names on it every year, the Cubs just pencil in the dates as appropriate.

turners56
09-04-2008, 06:24 PM
I had tendanitis in my shoulder that flared up pretty good at the end of my summer season between senior year of high school and freshman year in college. I pretty much just had to shut down throwing for a 3 to 4 weeks and did some strengthening exercises and it was fine. I don't know how severe it really was compared to what Z may have, but if his is anything like mine was, the first few days I couldn't lift my hand above my head and then it gradually got better. It's the type of thing that if you push it too soon, as the Cubs and Z may be tempted to do, you can regress quickly.

I had tendinitis a couple of years ago when my coach and I first discovered that I have pretty decent stuff. I overthrew the next couple of days and had an extremely sore arm for a week. At one time, I couldn't even throw or lift the arm. Now, whenever I throw too much, my arm flares up again. I don't know if that is a severe case of tendinitis or just that my arm sucks.

Tekijawa
09-04-2008, 06:26 PM
I know that the tendinitis in my knee generally took longer than a week to go away. I know it always felt fine until I started going full speed and then it would kill. It's something that you can't come back from early or you are just going to irritate it more.

Demafrost
09-05-2008, 03:14 PM
You also gotta think the Cubs have been access to drugs and treatments than a HS pitcher would.

That said, starting Carlos anytime before late September would be foolish by the Cubs.

WhiteSox5187
09-05-2008, 03:25 PM
I don't normally wish injuries upon players, but with the news that we just lost Quentin, I hate to say it, but I hope Zambrano and Harden never throw another pitch in the majors, or at least one that doesn't end up in the seats.

1908<2005
09-05-2008, 03:52 PM
I don't normally wish injuries upon players, but with the news that we just lost Quentin, I hate to say it, but I hope Zambrano and Harden never throw another pitch in the majors, or at least one that doesn't end up in the seats.
:rolleyes:
I wish this on Mauer and Morneau.

kittle42
09-05-2008, 03:55 PM

:rolleyes:
I wish this on Mauer and Morneau.

I really am without words for either of you.

veeter
09-05-2008, 04:40 PM
I really am without words for either of you.Never wish injury on any player. Trust me though, a billion cub fans had smirks on their faces, when Levineline reported CQ's injury. Don't contribute to bad carma. It's one reason why the cubs never win.