PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie: I don't expect Crede to play again this year

Sockinchisox
09-03-2008, 12:44 AM
Looks like we'll be seeing Uribe at 3rd for the rest of the year.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/09/crede-future-un.html

LoveYourSuit
09-03-2008, 12:48 AM
Looks like we'll be seeing Uribe at 3rd for the rest of the year.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/09/crede-future-un.html

Why they ran his ass out there while not being 100% is beyond me. The position was not weak while he was gone (since Uribe did a hell of job there).

Another case of bad managing eithe by Kenny or Ozzie. Wow this team is desparate.

DumpJerry
09-03-2008, 12:52 AM
:borass:
"Just **** me now.:whiner:"

LoveYourSuit
09-03-2008, 12:55 AM
:borass:
"Just **** me now.:whiner:"

You know what's sad is that this ass clown will start the bidding at 5 yrs $100 million next year.

Crede is so ****ed for having listened to that joke of an agent. And thank God for the Sox not falling for the trap.

thomas35forever
09-03-2008, 12:55 AM
I really don't care what happens to Crede from here on out. He can walk for all I care. Uribe believe it or not seems like the man more capable of the job.

LoveYourSuit
09-03-2008, 12:59 AM
I really don't care what happens to Crede from here on out. He can walk for all I care. Uribe believe it or not seems like the man more capable of the job.

As soon as Crede came back these bats went to the ****ter.

The offense had a nice flow with him not here, but they just had to **** with it.

I was shocked when I heard Crede was back for that Baltimore Series being that his rehab stint was almost held in secret and it was a pathetic one at that.

doublem23
09-03-2008, 01:00 AM
This may have been the last time we see #24 in the black and white pinstripes...

It's been fun, old friend. :(:

That said, the Sox are still in this thing and they need to play the hot hand, which is anyone but Joe Crede.

WhiteSox5187
09-03-2008, 01:05 AM
I really think the person most responsible for rushing Crede back was, Scott Boras. If you recall he was against him having the surgery not just in the '06 off season but in '07 too. I think Boras was urging Crede back too soon and this is what happened.

Crede is now looking at more than just losing a lot of money, but his career might be over.

LoveYourSuit
09-03-2008, 01:11 AM
I really think the person most responsible for rushing Crede back was, Scott Boras. If you recall he was against him having the surgery not just in the '06 off season but in '07 too. I think Boras was urging Crede back too soon and this is what happened.

Crede is now looking at more than just losing a lot of money, but his career might be over.

Someone will take a flyer on him with an incentive loaded 1 yr deal, I just hope the Sox finaly turn the page on him and don't take the bait all because of the cheap opportunity to have him back. The guy's glove clearly is not there anymore without his health.

WhiteSox5187
09-03-2008, 01:13 AM
Someone will take a flyer on him with an incentive loaded 1 yr deal, I just hope the Sox finaly turn the page on him and don't take the bait all because of the cheap opportunity to have him back. The guy's glove clearly is not there anymore without his health.
Who do we have that can play third in the meantime? Can Beckham play third (I thought he was primarily a shortstop)? Who hold the hot corner in the meantime? Fields? Uribe?

Konerko05
09-03-2008, 01:16 AM
Who do we have that can play third in the meantime? Can Beckham play third (I thought he was primarily a shortstop)? Who hold the hot corner in the meantime? Fields? Uribe?

Next year? Neither. They most likely will be looking outside the organization. I've been hearing Chone Figgins is their main target. Fills the void in the lead off spot also.

LoveYourSuit
09-03-2008, 01:17 AM

At this point you give the keys to Fields and hope that Uribe accepts a reasonable contract as a non starter platoon with the opportunity to spot start. At the end of the spring he might end up winning the job anyway.

I guess you start trying to groom Becham as that future 3B.

Konerko05
09-03-2008, 01:20 AM
At this point you give the keys to Fields and hope that Uribe accepts a reasonable contract as a non starter platoon with the opportunity to spot start. At the end of the spring he might end up winning the job anyway.

Until Beckham shows he can't handle shortstop, there is no point in moving him.

LoveYourSuit
09-03-2008, 01:23 AM
Until Beckham shows he can't handle short stop, there is no point in moving him.

Alexei Ramirez is you SS of the future, the Sox will not piss away that nice signing bonus they gave Becham and let him grow to be 28 in the minors.

He will be up here by 2010 IMO. Alexei will still be here too.

So Mr Becham needs to find another spot to play.

Boondock Saint
09-03-2008, 01:27 AM
This sucks. He was probably leaving after this season, but it sucks to see him go out like this. I would rather have seen him recover and have a kick-ass showing on his way out.

Konerko05
09-03-2008, 01:29 AM
Alexei Ramirez is you SS of the future, the Sox will not piss away that nice signing bonus they gave Becham and let him grow to be 28 in the minors.

Yeah, I wasn't really thinking about Alexei when I made that post. Let's wait and see how Alexei handles short next year.

Lip Man 1
09-03-2008, 01:33 AM
At least this gives closure to the White Sox career of Joe Crede. Maybe things would have been different if he'd changed agents like he said he would a few years ago if that was going to become an issue or if he had his back surgery when the Sox originally wanted him to.
Joe thanks for what you did and good luck wherever.

Lip

CHISOXFAN13
09-03-2008, 01:38 AM

Second base.

forrestg
09-03-2008, 01:43 AM
Why they ran his ass out there while not being 100% is beyond me. The position was not weak while he was gone (since Uribe did a hell of job there).

Another case of bad managing eithe by Kenny or Ozzie. Wow this team is desparate. Enough said.

Adele_H
09-03-2008, 01:52 AM
If Joe Crede is medically cleared to play, Scot Boras will not take Crede's benching without a fight.

Especially if Uribe reverts to being Uribe of old and is hitting in low-.200s again.

Foulke You
09-03-2008, 01:53 AM

Another case of bad managing eithe by Kenny or Ozzie. Wow this team is desparate.
It was indeed a puzzling move that he got rushed back so soon. Perhaps they wanted to find out sooner rather than later if he was going to be healthy enough to play down the stretch or not? I guess they got their answer. Crede's swing hasn't been the same since he screwed up his back again and his defense has also taken a hit. I never thought I'd be saying this but Uribe's defense at 3B looks to be a bit better than Joe's this year in the small sample size we've seen. Juan's bat has also been much better of late as he has taken more pitches and has been laying off the stuff in the dirt for a change. We need to win ball games and right now, Uribe at 3B gives us the best chance to win.

I was watching the game with my wife tonight and I told her that I thought Joe looked hurt after he made that error and then he definitely was gimpy after that dive later in the game. Sure enough, he was pulled shortly afterward. It will be a shame if this is Crede's last game but that's the way the ball bounces. I wish him the best of luck and I'll always have fond memories of him in a Sox uniform.

Boondock Saint
09-03-2008, 02:05 AM
I don't think it's at all fair to assume that KW or Ozzie rushed Crede back, concidering that Uribe has been doing a good job at 3rd so far. For all anyone knows, Joe might have seen that Uribe is doing a good job in his absence and told Ozzie or Kenny that he was ready before he was, so as not to lose his job.

LITTLE NELL
09-03-2008, 06:12 AM

That's what greed does.

alohafri
09-03-2008, 06:26 AM
This sucks. He was probably leaving after this season, but it sucks to see him go out like this. I would rather have seen him recover and have a kick-ass showing on his way out.

As a Sox fan, I'd rather see him go out like this...no regrets for not going after him in the winter. If he came back and hit the cover off of the ball and threw leather like he used to, I'd want him back (probably only to be disappointed). Now the option is to go after another free agent third baseman.

sox1970
09-03-2008, 06:48 AM
Alexei Ramirez is you SS of the future, the Sox will not piss away that nice signing bonus they gave Beckham and let him grow to be 28 in the minors.

So Mr Beckham needs to find another spot to play.

I think Alexei Ramirez is the shortstop for 2009, but who is to say he can't move back to 2B in 2010 or 2011 when Beckham is ready to take over.

Beckham was drafted as a shortstop, and he should be given every opportunity to stay there, until it's clear that keeping Ramirez at short is the right move.

I could see Ramirez making a ton of good plays at short, but I could also see him trying to show off a lot too, and making some stupid throws to first. I guess we'll find out next year.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-03-2008, 07:40 AM
If Joe Crede is medically cleared to play, Scot Boras will not take Crede's benching without a fight.

Especially if Uribe reverts to being Uribe of old and is hitting in low-.200s again.

**** Scott Bora$$. If the Sox are a better team and will make the postseason because the lineup is hitting better in Crede's absence, who is he to think he has the right to tell anyone how to manage his client? He should be thankful his fat ass figured out a way to be Bob Sugar and shut the **** up.

Joe - if we never see you in silver and black again, thank you for being part of bringing the 2005 World Series back to Chicago. Now fire that fatass and get a real agent.

alohafri
09-03-2008, 08:19 AM
**** Scott Bora$$. If the Sox are a better team and will make the postseason because the lineup is hitting better in Crede's absence, who is he to think he has the right to tell anyone how to manage his client? He should be thankful his fat ass figured out a way to be Bob Sugar and shut the **** up.

Joe - if we never see you in silver and black again, thank you for being part of bringing the 2005 World Series back to Chicago. Now fire that fatass and get a real agent.

With as much crap as we give Bora$, why would Crede fire a guy who has gotten other players HUGE contracts?

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-03-2008, 08:28 AM
With as much crap as we give Bora$, why would Crede fire a guy who has gotten other players HUGE contracts?

Because Bora$$ will cost him his career. You think A Rod will be remembered as a great player for not being able to deliver on that large deal?? You think Crede's continual back issues will garner him heartstrings because of a large contract? I don't - and if Joe were smart he'd follow Danks' lead and can that ass.

PatK
09-03-2008, 09:12 AM

What's Boras going to do?

Fire Ozzie? Fire KW?

nccwsfan
09-03-2008, 09:23 AM

Boras can't do squat if Ozzie wants to bench him for the remainder of the year. It's probably a moot point anyway as Joe's White Sox days appear to be done. If that's the case thank you very much for your time here Joe-I hope you can get healthy and be a productive MLB player again.

For the time being Uribe should be the 3B and hopefully the CWS will groom Beckham to be the future 3B alongside Ramirez at SS.

alohafri
09-03-2008, 09:26 AM
Because Bora$$ will cost him his career. You think A Rod will be remembered as a great player for not being able to deliver on that large deal?? You think Crede's continual back issues will garner him heartstrings because of a large contract? I don't - and if Joe were smart he'd follow Danks' lead and can that ass.

How is Bora$ going to cost Crede his career? If anything is going to cost Crede his career it is his achy back. PayGod is getting paid a billion dollars a year. Do you think he cares what his legacy is going to be while he is sitting on a Pacific island that he owns sipping maitais made for him by Madonna?

Hmmm. Let's see...the White Sox are offering me an incentive laden one year contract for a 5 million dollar base salary. The ______ are offering me a 3 year, 20 million dollar contract. What should I do?

Steelrod
09-03-2008, 09:30 AM
How is Bora$ going to cost Crede his career? If anything is going to cost Crede his career it is his achy back. PayGod is getting paid a billion dollars a year. Do you think he cares what his legacy is going to be while he is sitting on a Pacific island that he owns sipping maitais made for him by Madonna?

Hmmm. Let's see...the White Sox are offering me an incentive laden one year contract for a 5 million dollar base salary. The ______ are offering me a 3 year, 20 million dollar contract. What should I do?
Let's see. Are we interested in a player with back issues, who ignores his teams medical advice, and listens only to his agent!
What should we do?

beasly213
09-03-2008, 09:31 AM
If the Sox are able to get into the playoffs I'm going to miss Credes clutch ABs and clutch defense.

But honestly Uribe has been coming up with big hits it seems like with RISP so I'm OK with him being out there and feel confident when he is at bat.

I hope everything works out though Joe and you're able to come back this year and contribute at a high level.

"JOOOOE CREEEDE!"
-Hawk.

mccoydp
09-03-2008, 09:34 AM

Fields has no business getting near third base. I'll take Oo-ree-bay any day.

Craig Grebeck
09-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Why again would we groom Beckham to play third base...?

He's so much more valuable as a third baseman.

RowanDye
09-03-2008, 09:37 AM
http://blogs.cetis.ac.uk/feedforward/files/2008/04/d_oh.jpg
(http://blogs.cetis.ac.uk/feedforward/files/2008/04/d_oh.jpg)

09-03-2008, 09:38 AM

Agree, and Guillen has as much as said so.

As for the future, just my opinion but I believe they'll go in a different direction at 3B than Josh Fields.

Further, in regards to moving Beckham around, there's lots of time for that. So many things can happen. I believe they'll leave him at SS for now and let everything fall where it may. As others in this thread have astutely pointed out, Alexei Ramirez has shown he can play multiple positions. Let's also not forget (for the future) Guillen believes Ramirez can play 3B. So there are several variables in play.

Domeshot17
09-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Crede is the New Pods. Can't stay healthy, if he could he would be a nice addition, but we have pissed away enough time hoping for health already.

aryzner
09-03-2008, 09:53 AM
If this is the end, thanks for the memories, Joe.

palehozenychicty
09-03-2008, 09:55 AM
I'm hardly surprised. He's barely played the last two years now, and not well. He was great during the WS run and half of 2006, but that's the only time he played at a consistently high level. Even during those periods, he had plenty of atrocious streaks. So if the Sox take him back next year they're just making a mistake. There. I said it. :tongue:

PorkChopExpress
09-03-2008, 10:04 AM

It's funny how much things can change over a baseball season. Prior to this season, we were all wanting to dump Uribe, and either sign Joe long term or trade him so that Fields could play third. In whatever scenario fans wanted, either Joe or Josh would be at third and Uribe would be gone. Now, many are ready to say good-bye to both Joe and Josh and give Uribe the 3B job. And I'm not saying I disagree, just pointing out how crazy baseball can be.

alohafri
09-03-2008, 10:26 AM
Let's see. Are we interested in a player with back issues, who ignores his teams medical advice, and listens only to his agent!
What should we do?

I'm talking about Crede here and the suggestion he fire Bora$. Hate him if you will, but he will get someone to pay Joe the money he wants them to. If someone offers Crede the money despite his back issues, that is their fault, not Bora$'s.

oeo
09-03-2008, 10:29 AM

Obviously Crede must have said he was alright to go. They had nothing to lose to see if he could (he wasn't going to be 100% this year...he wasn't from Day 1, so he definitely wasn't going to be now).

I think this could be it for his career. Of course he'll try to come back the next couple of years, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

I'm talking about Crede here and the suggestion he fire Bora$. Hate him if you will, but he will get someone to pay Joe the money he wants them to. If someone offers Crede the money despite his back issues, that is their fault, not Bora$'s.

You're insane if you think Crede will get a big money contract. The guy has been an average player at best throughout his career, and now no one knows if he will ever play at that level again. I don't care who is agent is, he's not getting a long term deal. And I'd prefer if the Sox didn't bring him back for another year because we can't be dependent on the guy. Time to move on.

PeoriaSoxFan
09-03-2008, 10:43 AM
I am guessing we will still see Crede playing before the end of the year. Hawk always says that Uribe can carry a club. If I remember right, he got hot in the last month last year. Hopefully, he can do it again. I am more worried about TCQ right now and his health.

esbrechtel
09-03-2008, 10:46 AM
So my question is, if Crede continues to play elsewhere (ala Maggs) does he get booed on his return to the southside? I am a huge Crede fan but this situation looks very similar, the player has been hurt and couldn't finish out the season, more than likely will ask for a big payday, etc....

It would really suck to see Joe tearing it up for another team (especially in the division...)

alohafri
09-03-2008, 10:47 AM
You're insane if you think Crede will get a big money contract. The guy has been an average player at best throughout his career, and now no one knows if he will ever play at that level again. I don't care who is agent is, he's not getting a long term deal. And I'd prefer if the Sox didn't bring him back for another year because we can't be dependent on the guy. Time to move on.

My arguement is not that he will get a big money contract. It is that Bora$ will get someone to overpay for him. With him as an agent, Crede will not get the incentive-laded "home town discount" that some have suggested.

oeo
09-03-2008, 10:49 AM
So my question is, if Crede continues to play elsewhere (ala Maggs) does he get booed on his return to the southside? I am a huge Crede fan but this situation looks very similar, the player has been hurt and couldn't finish out the season, more than likely will ask for a big payday, etc....

It would really suck to see Joe tearing it up for another team (especially in the division...)

I don't think you have to worry about that. Maggs had a fluke knee injury, while Crede has ongoing back problems.

As for the comparison to Maggs: unless Crede leaves with douchebag comments, then he won't get booed.

btrain929
09-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Next year? Neither. They most likely will be looking outside the organization. I've been hearing Chone Figgins is their main target. Fills the void in the lead off spot also.

Outside of WSI posters, who have you heard this from?

nccwsfan
09-03-2008, 10:57 AM

No booing necessary, provided he leaves on professional terms. As far as his future is concerned I just hope he can get to playing injury-free baseball again.

btrain929
09-03-2008, 10:58 AM
If the Sox are able to get into the playoffs I'm going to miss Credes clutch ABs and clutch defense.

But honestly Uribe has been coming up with big hits it seems like with RISP so I'm OK with him being out there and feel confident when he is at bat.

I hope everything works out though Joe and you're able to come back this year and contribute at a high level.

"JOOOOE CREEEDE!"
-Hawk.

Outside of a hot month with the bat (not the glove) of 2008, we haven't seen anything close to that in 2 years.

kobo
09-03-2008, 11:02 AM
My arguement is not that he will get a big money contract. It is that Bora$ will get someone to overpay for him. With him as an agent, Crede will not get the incentive-laded "home town discount" that some have suggested.
That's what agents do best, get someone to overpay for their client. I don't see what is wrong with that.

The White Sox should not offer Crede a contract. He will never play at the level he played at in 05 and half of 06. With his back problems it is not worth taking him on for another year. Joe has meant a lot to this organization, but it's time to cut the cord.

hi im skot
09-03-2008, 11:05 AM
I love how everyone here seems to know what's going on behind the scenes. Joe Crede is a greedy *******, Kenny and Ozzie pushed him back too quickly, and Scott Boras runs Crede's life.

Look, none of us know what's happening behind closed doors. Maybe Crede is being selfish, but maybe he's just doing everything in his power to get back to playing the game he loves.

Crede has frustrated me beyond belief this year, but it's sure as hell not my place to assume he's making his decisions with the intention of cashing in and being greedy.

oeo
09-03-2008, 11:07 AM
I love how everyone here seems to know what's going on behind the scenes. Joe Crede is a greedy *******, Kenny and Ozzie pushed him back too quickly, and Scott Boras runs Crede's life.

Are you referring to the beginning of the year, or right now? Because it became evident that when he wasn't playing everyday on his rehab stint that his season was coming to a close. They gave it one more shot, it didn't work out. :dunno:

hi im skot
09-03-2008, 11:07 AM

Unless Crede burns bridges the way Ordonez did, anyone who boos Crede should be attacked by rabid raccoons.

White Sox championships with Crede: 1
White Sox championships with Ordonez: 0

hi im skot
09-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Are you referring to the beginning of the year, or right now? Because it became evident that when he wasn't playing everyday on his rehab stint that his season was coming to a close. They gave it one more shot, it didn't work out. :dunno:

Right now.

Perhaps Crede rushed himself back too quickly, and Kenny and Ozzie took his word; I don't know. All I know is that it's an unfortunate situation for all parties.

09-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Outside of WSI posters, who have you heard this from?

Joe Cowley of the Sun Times mentioned it in a story. Cowley said Figgins and Orlando Hudson are the two big targets.

btrain929
09-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Joe Cowley of the Sun Times mentioned it in a story. Cowley said Figgins and Orlando Hudson are the two big targets.

While that's a has tad bit more substance, he's nothing more than a glorified fan, and just puts out trade/signing ideas that make sense just like some of us do here. Don't get me wrong, I hope we ARE interested in those two, but I wouldn't say Cowley got a text from KW saying so :D:.

Thome25
09-03-2008, 11:26 AM

IMO In 2010 Beckham will be the SS and Alexei will stay at 2B. The Sox will then find a stopgap at SS until Beckham comes up.

The only way Beckham isn't the SS is if he shows he can't handle it.

Rocky Soprano
09-03-2008, 11:34 AM
:whiner: I love Joe Crede and it sucks that we probably have seen the last of him in a Sox uniform. I will never forget his clutch hits and his gold glove caliber defense. It's a shame that his last few games were not good at all. I wish him the best and hope his career is not over.

This one is for Joe. :gulp:

09-03-2008, 11:37 AM
While that's a has tad bit more substance, he's nothing more than a glorified fan, and just puts out trade/signing ideas that make sense just like some of us do here. Don't get me wrong, I hope we ARE interested in those two, but I wouldn't say Cowley got a text from KW saying so :D:.

I understand your point but his article didn't phrase it that way. He specifically went out of his way to indicate sources in the organization say those two are targets. I have my issues with Joe Cowley but he's closer to the info than any of us. We'll see and I agree those are two good names.

skottyj242
09-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Why is everyone writing him off? So now everything that Ozzie says it true? He took himself out of one game, so he doesn't play today, he's off tomorrow, who's to say he won't play Friday night? Viva La John Uribe.

russ99
09-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Why is everyone writing him off? So now everything that Ozzie says it true? He took himself out of one game, so he doesn't play today, he's off tomorrow, who's to say he won't play Friday night? Viva La John Uribe.

The same reason everyone wrote Podsednik off, because he can't stay healthy. The last time he had a similar problem, he was out 3 weeks and obviously came back too soon. It stinks to see it happen to the guy, but that's life.

With this track record what are the realistic chances of Joe contributing the rest of the way? I'd love to see him come off the bench and hit an epic pennant race homer again, but I just don't see it happening. Thank goodness we kept Uribe, as he's not so drastic a drop-off defensively, and at least hitting better than the last 2 years.

Also, the Sox would be fools to pay what Boras will be demanding for a guy with his injury history-but don't think some idiot GM won't give it to him. I hope Joe does come back and can salvage his career, but I don't think it will be here.

skottyj242
09-03-2008, 11:48 AM
The same reason everyone wrote Podsednik off, because he can't stay healthy. It stinks, but that's life.

With this track record what are the realistic chances of Joe contributing the rest of the way? I'd love to see him come off the bench and hit an epic pennant race homer again, but I just don't see it happening. Thank goodness we kept Uribe, as he's not so drastic a drop-off defensively.

Also, the Sox would be fools to pay what Boras will be demanding for a guy with his injury history. I hope Joe does come back and can salvage his career, but I don't think it will be here.

Not talking about coming back next year. I'm talking about what's to say he won't play this weekend? Because Ozzie says so on a Tuesday night? Ozzie has been know to say things that don't necessarily come to fruition.

09-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Not talking about coming back next year. I'm talking about what's to say he won't play this weekend? Because Ozzie says so on a Tuesday night? Ozzie has been know to say things that don't necessarily come to fruition.

DJ Carrasco is our new 5th starter!

russ99
09-03-2008, 11:51 AM

That's a good point, but Joe had a epidural a week and a half ago, and that's usually the last straw. If this is a recurrence of the same nerve-pain as last time, they won't give him another shot, and will likely shut him down.

Lip Man 1
09-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Btrain:

For what it's worth I've heard this from a number of different sources some inside the organization. Figgins and Hudson are the targets, granted this doesn't mean it'll work out and they'll sign with the Sox.

Lip

KyWhiSoxFan
09-03-2008, 11:56 AM
If this is the end of Crede's career in Chicago, I can accept that. There is no reason or need to play him if he is not 100%.

I had resigned to him not being on the team next year, anyway, so this is an early departure, I guess. I don't really expect him to play for weeks, if it all, given his back issues. If he sat out 3 weeks, how much good would he be at the plate in the last week of the season after being off so long?

If this is the end, thanks, Joe for all the memories and clutch hits and plays in the field. Your hit against Escobar in the second game of the playoff series vs. the Angels in 2005 will always be remembered.

Cangelosi CF
09-03-2008, 12:00 PM
it'd be Jerry Owens with a back injury.

btrain929
09-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Btrain:

For what it's worth I've heard this from a number of different sources some inside the organization. Figgins and Hudson are the targets, granted this doesn't mean it'll work out and they'll sign with the Sox.

Lip

I've definitely heard Hudson's name coming from sources from within, just not Figgins. If they both can stay healthy, they would be 2 great additions to make our team faster and more athletic. It's just gonna come down to: will we offer what Hudson is looking for in free agency? (hopefully his injury keeps him from asking for mind-blowing figures), and if we have enough to offer the Angels in a trade for Figgins since he's not a FA until after the '09 season.

Jurr
09-03-2008, 12:15 PM
That's a good point, but Joe had a epidural a week and a half ago, and that's usually the last straw. If this is a recurrence of the same nerve-pain as last time, they won't give him another shot, and will likely shut him down.
Exactly. We beat this issue to death a couple of weeks ago. Back problems don't go away. You surgically repair the tissue that's compressing the nerve, but the fact that the disc space has experienced shrinkage will lead to further complications, especially with the demands that Crede has on his back.

It's been a great run, Joe.

LITTLE NELL
09-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Unless Crede burns bridges the way Ordonez did, anyone who boos Crede should be attacked by rabid raccoons.

White Sox championships with Crede: 1
White Sox championships with Ordonez: 0
I would not mind Bora$ being attacked by rabid racoons.

hi im skot
09-03-2008, 04:50 PM
I would not mind Bora$ being attacked by rabid racoons.

I don't think any of us would have a problem with that. :cool:

eriqjaffe
09-03-2008, 04:53 PM
I would not mind Bora$ being attacked by rabid racoons.The Yankees would then sign the raccoons to a 6-year, $125 million contract.

soxtalker
09-03-2008, 04:56 PM
I, like many, have been assuming for awhile that Crede would depart the Sox after this season. But I was hoping that we'd get Type A free agent compensation for him. How does this injury affect that -- both in terms of the type of free agent classification and the willingness of the Sox to offer arbitration.

whitesox901
09-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Im still not totally agianst Fields at 3B, I still say if we cant get Figgins or anyone else give him a shot agian next year, if he ****s himself, give it to Juan

KenBerryGrab
09-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Well, if they don't offer arbitration, they don't get compensatory picks.

I think he'll be a Type B, but I can't really figure out the rating system.

Daver
09-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Well, if they don't offer arbitration, they don't get compensatory picks.

I think he'll be a Type B, but I can't really figure out the rating system.

It's done by the Elias Sports Bureau, and is based on the performance for the last two seasons, so I doubt he will bring any compensation.

doublem23
09-03-2008, 05:31 PM
It's done by the Elias Sports Bureau, and is based on the performance for the last two seasons, so I doubt he will bring any compensation.

I thought it was 3 years. Do the teams know what Type FA a player would be before they have to offer them arbitration, or is it a gamble?

Rocky Soprano
09-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Im still not totally agianst Fields at 3B, I still say if we cant get Figgins or anyone else give him a shot agian next year, if he ****s himself, give it to Juan

If Fields or Uribe is our starting 3B next year we are deep trouble.

DickAllen72
09-03-2008, 05:38 PM
It's funny how much things can change over a baseball season. Prior to this season, we were all wanting to dump Uribe,
Bull****. I, along with some others here, never wanted to dump Uribe.

btrain929
09-03-2008, 05:45 PM
I thought it was 3 years. Do the teams know what Type FA a player would be before they have to offer them arbitration, or is it a gamble?

I'm 99% sure they know before they offer arb.

This sight updates the rankings. Don't know if it's 100% legit, but it looks like it :D:

According to the group for 2b, 3b, and SS, Crede is waaaay low on the list and doesn't have a chance at bringing back a pick. However, Uribe is within a few points of a B compensation. The last B pick is at a total score of 56.4, while Uribe is at 55.5. Here's the link:

http://tigers-thoughts.blogspot.com/2008/08/projected-elias-rankings.html

JUribe1989
09-03-2008, 05:45 PM
When Joe listened to his agent and didn't have his back surgery during the offseason, I lost all respect for him as a player. Since then, he's been the single most unreliable White Sox player. I hope he's played his last game for us.

Daver
09-03-2008, 05:51 PM
When Joe listened to his agent and didn't have his back surgery during the offseason, I lost all respect for him as a player. Since then, he's been the single most unreliable White Sox player. I hope he's played his last game for us.

That advise came from doctors, not his agent, but don't something silly like the facts slow you down.

Lip Man 1
09-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Btrain:

Figgins situation isn't totally clear. I've seen reports that he IS a free agent after this year because of some clauses in his contract. I've also seen reports that say he isn't.

I don't know exactly what his status is.

Lip

btrain929
09-03-2008, 06:13 PM
Btrain:

Figgins situation isn't totally clear. I've seen reports that he IS a free agent after this year because of some clauses in his contract. I've also seen reports that say he isn't.

I don't know exactly what his status is.

Lip

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. I believe, just me personally, that from some of the reports I've read from the Angels, as well as it not being very publically endorsed that he's a free agent after the year, that he's not. His contract ends after '08, but I don't think he has the service time to go into free agency. I think next year is his last arb year ala Crede this year. I could be wrong, but I believe that's what's happening.

JUribe1989
09-03-2008, 06:18 PM
That advise came from doctors, not his agent, but don't something silly like the facts slow you down.

Jerry Reinsdorf and Kenny Williams along with Dr. Joseph and Dr. Bach would tell you differently. Team doctors wanted Crede to have the surgery in the offseason with the hopes of returning in May. Boras didn't want any of his contract hopes cut off, not even one month so he told him to try and play through it. Sure enough, Crede played a month and a half and was, and still is toast.

Daver
09-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Jerry Reinsdorf and Kenny Williams along with Dr. Joseph and Dr. Bach would tell you differently. Team doctors wanted Crede to have the surgery in the offseason with the hopes of returning in May. Boras didn't want any of his contract hopes cut off, not even one month so he told him to try and play through it. Sure enough, Crede played a month and a half and was, and still is toast.

If you would undergo back surgery without getting a second and third opinion from a specialist in the field, you are a fool.

oeo
09-03-2008, 06:34 PM

There's yet to be any good news regarding his back.

His rehab stint came out of nowhere, then he couldn't even stay in the lineup in Charlotte. And again, out of nowhere, he's taken off the DL. Nothing that says his back is alright. If Crede was a-okay, I think we would have heard about it by now. We haven't heard a damn thing, though.

Maybe he will be in the lineup on Friday. That doesn't mean he won't be hurting (and as a result, hurting the team).

09-03-2008, 06:35 PM
If you would undergo back surgery without getting a second and third opinion from a specialist in the field, you are a fool.

Crede did. The doctor was arranged for by Boras.

Either way, it didn't turn out well, just like most chronic back problems.

Daver
09-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Crede did. The doctor was arranged for by Boras.

Either way, it didn't turn out well, just like most chronic back problems.

Gee, a ballplayer told his agent to do his job and find him a back specialist for a second opinion, how bizarre. God forbid an agent do anything to earn his percentage.

Brian26
09-03-2008, 07:14 PM
If Fields or Uribe is our starting 3B next year we are deep trouble.

There are eight other positions on the field, not counting the DH. I wouldn't worry that much about it.

Brian26
09-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Bull****. I, along with some others here, never wanted to dump Uribe.

There were a few intelligent posters here who realized Uribe's value as a super-sub coming off the bench/insurance policy.

kittle42
09-03-2008, 07:22 PM
There were a few intelligent posters here who realized Uribe's value as a super-sub coming off the bench/insurance policy.

He was always a better choice than Ozuna, who cannot play any defensive position well.

09-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Gee, a ballplayer told his agent to do his job and find him a back specialist for a second opinion, how bizarre. God forbid an agent do anything to earn his percentage.

What's your problem, no one said it was bizarre.

It puts a slightly different perspective on things when a team's doctor advises surgery and an agent's doctor advises against. You seemed to suggest he didn't get a 2nd or 3rd opinion, I pointed out he did.

Daver
09-03-2008, 07:41 PM
What's your problem, no one said it was bizarre.

It puts a slightly different perspective on things when a team's doctor advises surgery and an agent's doctor advises against. You seemed to suggest he didn't get a 2nd or 3rd opinion, I pointed out he did.

It wasn't the agent's doctor, it was one of the top specialists in the country.

You are the one trying to change the perspective by insisting Boras had an influence over the doctor, which has no basis in truth or fact.

09-03-2008, 07:48 PM
It wasn't the agent's doctor, it was one of the top specialists in the country.

You are the one trying to change the perspective by insisting Boras had an influence over the doctor, which has no basis in truth or fact.

I didn't say it was the agent's doctor, or at least didn't mean to. Boras referred Crede to a specialist. And then kept medical info away from the White Sox.

There's a level of influence there, whether you choose to believe it or not is entirely up to you. And when I say "there", I mean between Boras, Crede, and their decision to be less than forthcoming on sharing medical information with the White Sox.

I'm not trying to change any perspective, so stop saying I am. I said he went and got another medical opinion after you seemed to suggest he didn't. If you weren't suggesting that, hey, all I did was clarify. I also clarified how the referral occured. Pretty simple actually.

slavko
09-04-2008, 12:07 AM
He was always a better choice than Ozuna, who cannot play any defensive position well.

In that case he could have played any OF position for us, where defense doesn't count, according to management's actions.

I wsa sure Juan would have been traded and I'm glad he wasn't.