PDA

View Full Version : Geoff Blum with a clutch extra inning HR!

PeteWard
09-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Sounds familiar.:D:

His HR in the top of the 11th off Wood has the Cubs down 9-7 in the 11th.

I want Mags back
09-02-2008, 11:10 PM
Kasper's reaction was priceless :rolling:

kittle42
09-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Who gives a ****?

slavko
09-02-2008, 11:30 PM
Long time since a good Heartbreaking Cub Loss. And all those people in the greatest in-season euphoria since 1969. Four in a row and counting. Happy days are here again.

CHISOXFAN13
09-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Long time since a good Heartbreaking Cub Loss. And all those people in the greatest in-season euphoria since 1969. Four in a row and counting. Happy days are here again.

Happy days? The Sox ****ing suck right now. I could give sixty ****s. The Cubs are postseason bound so it doesn't ****ing matter.

LoveYourSuit
09-02-2008, 11:53 PM
This thread is pathetic.

Sox fans need to look in the mirror.

We are fighting for our own playoff lives.... Get real.

OldRomanPizza
09-02-2008, 11:59 PM
A Geoff Blum home run in extra innings against any team, much less the Century Club, is ironic and something that most Sox fans can get a chuckle out of.

Now if you wouldn't have traded a Sox victory tonight instead of this than you are a loon.

Adele_H
09-03-2008, 12:18 AM
Who gives a ****?

Sox fans who care about Sox future/market share in this city?

Any way you look at it, Cubs winning the World Series would be a bad, BAD thing for the Sox.

Zambrano, Harden and, say, Wood going down before October might go a long way toward ensuring that it won't happen. Then again, the way Lilly and Dempster have been pitching lately and their offense been scoring, even injuries may not stop those a-holes.:mad:

In short... Go Brewers, Go Mets, Go Diamondbacks, Go Phillies, Go Cardinals.

AnkleSox
09-03-2008, 12:23 AM
Any way you look at it, Cubs winning the World Series would be a bad, BAD thing for the Sox.

They're a shoe-in for homefield advantage throughout the NL playoffs. This particular game has NOTHING to do with whether or not they'll win the World Series.

LoveYourSuit
09-03-2008, 12:25 AM
Sox fans who care about Sox future/market share in this city?

Zambrano, Harden and, say, Wood going down before October might go a long way toward ensuring that it won't happen. Then again, the way Lilly and Dempster have been pitching lately and their offense been scoring, even injuries may not stop those a-holes.:mad:

In short... Go Brewers, Go Mets, Go Diamondbacks, Go Phillies, Go Cardinals.

There is no market share. They have the majority and will have the majority even if we win 10 more championships and they continue to lose for another 100 years. It's the way it is, PERIOD.

Adele_H
09-03-2008, 12:35 AM
There is no market share. They have the majority and will have the majority even if we win 10 more championships and they continue to lose for another 100 years. It's the way it is, PERIOD.

Wrong.

No, it wasn't always the way it is. And it doesn't have to always be the way it is. Ask the old-timers.

We don't need the "majority", anyway. Just to convert a bigger piece of the 'casual, on-the-fence' crowd pie to be able to support a 100-120 Mill dollar payroll, year in and year out.

In 2003, we as Sox fans dodged a big one. Had the Cubs won that year, Sox would have been such an afterthought in this city, 2005 title may not have even happened. Winning another one in 2008, would be HUGE for the Sox.

Nellie_Fox
09-03-2008, 12:42 AM
There is no market share. They have the majority and will have the majority even if we win 10 more championships and they continue to lose for another 100 years. It's the way it is, PERIOD.Absolutely wrong. The Sox outdrew the Cubs all through the fifties and early sixties, because losing was not yet lovable and Wrigley was considered a below average ballpark, not a shrine. There's no reason to believe it can't happen again.

LoveYourSuit
09-03-2008, 12:44 AM
Wrong.

No, it wasn't always the way it is. And it doesn't have to always be the way it is. Ask the old-timers.

We don't need the "majority", anyway. Just to convert a bigger piece of the 'casual, on-the-fence' crowd pie to be able to support a 100-120 Mill dollar payroll, year in and year out.

In 2003, we as Sox fans dodged a big one. Had the Cubs won that year, Sox would have been such an afterthought in this city, 2005 title may not have even happened. Winning another one in 2008, would be HUGE for the Sox.

You are battling a marketing monster with the type of exposure and media that never existed back with the "old-timers."

The Cub love is a phenomenon that cannot be defeated.

Adele_H
09-03-2008, 01:01 AM
You are battling a marketing monster with the type of exposure and media that never existed back with the "old-timers."

The Cub love is a phenomenon that cannot be defeated.

Sox win World Series this year and Brooks Boyer will make Cubs his S&M bride. :bandance:

PeteWard
09-03-2008, 01:06 AM
This thread is pathetic.

Up yours. I happen to have a good memory of Blum's homer and am happy for him so that is why I started this thread . If you don't like it, tough ****.

By the way, "we" are watching. The Sox are fighting.

PeteWard
09-03-2008, 01:08 AM
Who gives a ****?

You obviously do if you are posting on this thread.

Adele_H
09-03-2008, 01:28 AM
This thread is pathetic.

http://api.ning.com/files/AiOSOyTURjbAQ7B5Se5ZAsxW0YF42iEwBlb0F-iRUP4btiU7ee-3oDoSMZeb--EwBKgFDTFd5GixfAqUoJtrwUZLghBpkCCv/Jerry_Seinfeld.jpg

"No, they won. You watched."

JB98
09-03-2008, 01:29 AM
It was nice to see Blum come up with a big hit. It brought back fond memories. It was a line drive HR to right, just like the one in the 14th inning of Game 3 in 2005.

RadioheadRocks
09-03-2008, 02:23 AM
Up yours. I happen to have a good memory of Blum's homer and am happy for him so that is why I started this thread . If you don't like it, tough ****.

Thank you!!! Blum makes me happy! :bandance:

sox1970
09-03-2008, 05:59 AM
Somewhere last night, Phil Garner was throwing a chair.

C-Dawg
09-03-2008, 06:27 AM
It was nice to see Blum come up with a big hit. It brought back fond memories. It was a line drive HR to right, just like the one in the 14th inning of Game 3 in 2005.

And he's done it to the Cub before too, in either 2006 or 2007. Another 14th inning bomb!

LoveYourSuit
09-03-2008, 10:49 AM

Up mine?

Very classy , I guess.

:rolleyes:

OldRomanPizza
09-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Somewhere last night, Phil Garner was throwing a chair.

hahaha! yes! :D:

kittle42
09-03-2008, 11:34 AM

I really hate that piss-poor argument. It is seen way too much around here. "If you disagree, why would you read it?" Um, to point out how stupid it is?

The Immigrant
09-03-2008, 02:24 PM

Kittle gets a little emotional whenever his beloved Cubbies lose.

kittle42
09-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Kittle gets a little emotional whenever his beloved Cubbies lose.

I get a little emotional when the Sox are in a pennant dogfight, the Cubs have all but sewn up a playoff spot, and yet people want to come gloat over a relatively meaningless Geoff Blum HR against the Beloved.

turners56
09-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Geoff Blum has been a beast for Houston this year. Well, beast for his standards.

PennStater98r
09-03-2008, 03:41 PM
I get a little emotional when the Sox are in a pennant dogfight, the Cubs have all but sewn up a playoff spot, and yet people want to come gloat over a relatively meaningless Geoff Blum HR against the Beloved.

I think you are forcing your interpretation on the rest of us. Perhaps - PERHAPS the original poster is celebrating Geoff Blum (who hit a big HR for us) hitting a game winning dinger. I see nothing wrong with the original post.

**** the Cubs btw.

doublem23
09-03-2008, 03:57 PM

They haven't sewn up ****. This is the Cubs... You gotta believe!

kittle42
09-03-2008, 04:05 PM
They haven't sewn up ****. This is the Cubs... You gotta believe!

It's Gonna Happen! :D:

hi im skot
09-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Geoff Blum: Chicago White Sox legend.

chisoxfan4life
09-03-2008, 05:12 PM
I defend this thread. The fact that a White Sox legend hit a game winning homer in extra innings is definitely noteworthy. It makes it even sweeter that it came against the rival Cubs giving them 4 straight losses. Not only that, but their ace was taken out early after already have been pushed back and their 2nd best pitcher is already skipping his next start.

On a night when the Sox lose, I find happiness in the fact that the Twins lost too. And the Cubs losing is just icing on the cake, it's not something I usually care about but it's nice to see.

TDog
09-03-2008, 05:49 PM
I defend this thread. The fact that a White Sox legend hit a game winning homer in extra innings is definitely noteworthy. It makes it even sweeter that it came against the rival Cubs giving them 4 straight losses. Not only that, but their ace was taken out early after already have been pushed back and their 2nd best pitcher is already skipping his next start.

On a night when the Sox lose, I find happiness in the fact that the Twins lost too. And the Cubs losing is just icing on the cake, it's not something I usually care about but it's nice to see.

I would defend this thread based in a talking-baseball sense, based on the irony that Blum, playing for a Chicago team, plunged a dagger into the hearts of the fans of his former team in 2005. An Astros win in Game 3 could have changed the entire complexion of the series.

Again an Astro in a non-contending season, he hits a game-winning extra-inning home run in Chicago.

Some Sox fans get carried away in obsessing over what happens to the Cubs, but the dissenters here are missing the baseball irony.

EuroSox35
09-03-2008, 08:37 PM
It's too bad the Brewers seem to always **** their pants anytime the Cubs go through this, could've made up some nice ground

I don't really follow the Cubs, but I don't see the big deal if others do. Cubs fans try to defend themselves from getting ripped by saying 'ohhh, you care about us more than your own team', what, a fan has to be completely one dimensional and can only focus on one team? What does being the biggest Cubs hater have to do with the level of fandom for that person and the Sox? It's been their only excuse this past decade (other than attendance), and everyone and their sister has jumped on it.

Yeah, it's shocking that someone would know what's going on with a team that plays in the same city, and reads the same media who tries to shove everything that team does down people's throats (especially when they're reporting something positive). It happens around the world, other sports, whatever (even in cases when the two teams are different countries), fans have rivalries, and they rib at each other when they have the chance, big deal

oh, and their fans are just as guilty, I've never seen so many Cubs fans come from under a rock to tell me they 'were dancing on the Sox playoff dreams grave'. You know the type, the ones that didn't even follow baseball until October 2003

chisoxmike
09-03-2008, 09:15 PM
It's too bad the Brewers seem to always **** their pants anytime the Cubs go through this, could've made up some nice ground

That's because the Brewers aren't that good.

Brian26
09-03-2008, 10:06 PM
That's because the Brewers aren't that good.

The Brewers are pretty good, but Ned Yost is an idiot that should have been fired last year.

grv1974
09-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Who gives a ****?

I do. :wink:

RadioheadRocks
09-04-2008, 12:42 AM

Judging by what I saw on NorthsideBaseball.com, I'm sure many of those folks beg to differ with you regarding that home run being "meaningless".

PeteWard
09-04-2008, 12:55 AM
I really hate that piss-poor argument. It is seen way too much around here. "If you disagree, why would you read it?" Um, to point out how stupid it is?

Why is it stupid to be happy for Blum? :rolleyes:

PeteWard
09-04-2008, 12:59 AM
I think you are forcing your interpretation on the rest of us. Perhaps - PERHAPS the original poster is celebrating Geoff Blum (who hit a big HR for us) hitting a game winning dinger. I see nothing wrong with the original post.

**** the Cubs btw.

Thank you. Not "perhaps"--that is exactly what I was doing when I started the thread and yes it does make it sweeter that it was against the Cubs.

I love these schmucks who think "we" have to stay focused on the Sox or "look in the mirror" --as if any fan posting on a website has any say in a pennant race.

kittle42
09-04-2008, 10:38 AM
I love these schmucks who think "we" have to stay focused on the Sox or "look in the mirror" --as if any fan posting on a website has any say in a pennant race.

Don't read the thread about Sox game superstitions, then! :redneck

BadBobbyJenks
09-04-2008, 06:54 PM
I have to say I definitely told my cubs fan friends when Blum was up, "Wow, Chicago's greatest legend! This game is Ovah" And boom.

russ99
09-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Why is it stupid to be happy for Blum? :rolleyes:

Especially since there are some Astros fans on this board. That sweep was sweet. :D:

guillensdisciple
09-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Geoff Blum is the man just because of that home run, I am gonna go watch the 05 world series dvd again...

Guarantee you everyone has watched it 10 times at least per person.

SOX ADDICT '73
09-04-2008, 10:41 PM
In 2006, when Blum was back with the Padres, he came up to the plate in the bottom of the 14th inning in a 1-1 game against the Mets. I was watching the San Diego broadcast on the Extra Innings package, and waited for their announcers to make a comment about "Blum's 14th inning magic" from the 2005 World Series. It never came. Even when he singled and scored the winning run ahead of Brian Giles's double, they never even mentioned his (essentially) game-winning home run in the exact same inning just six months earlier!

On the night of Blum's home run against the Cubs, ESPN News called it the "first extra-inning home run of his career." I know they're only considering regular-season stats, but I suppose it would have killed them to add, "though many will remember his heroics in game 3 of the 2005 WS..."

RadioheadRocks
09-06-2008, 03:02 AM
On the night of Blum's home run against the Cubs, ESPN News called it the "first extra-inning home run of his career." I know they're only considering regular-season stats, but I suppose it would have killed them to add, "though many will remember his heroics in game 3 of the 2005 WS..."

I caught that too, and you're right... mentioning it probably WOULD have killed them!

TommyJohn
09-06-2008, 09:19 AM
In 2006, when Blum was back with the Padres, he came up to the plate in the bottom of the 14th inning in a 1-1 game against the Mets. I was watching the San Diego broadcast on the Extra Innings package, and waited for their announcers to make a comment about "Blum's 14th inning magic" from the 2005 World Series. It never came. Even when he singled and scored the winning run ahead of Brian Giles's double, they never even mentioned his (essentially) game-winning home run in the exact same inning just six months earlier!

If it had been done for or against the Red Sox, it would've been mentioned...over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

TDog
09-06-2008, 04:18 PM

Obviously, the people who scripted the program pulled up the stats, which only cover the regular season. The people who read it weren't paying close enough attention to notice the mistake. It's no big deal. It reflects more badly on the announcers than it does on the White Sox.

If Quinlan had homered against Buehrle last night, they might have said it was his fourth career home run against Buehrle, ignoring the one he hit against Buehrle in the 2005 ALCS.

RadioheadRocks
09-07-2008, 05:37 AM
Just for fun I did a search for threads when Blum was our last acquisition before the trade deadline in '05. If anyone deserved the "Miss Cleo" award, it would be Podzilla 40 for the following post:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=795351&postcount=5

:cleo

Lip's post on page 2 was also some scary good prognostication!

Here's the full thread: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55259