PDA

View Full Version : How Many Wins?

WisSoxFan
09-02-2008, 11:59 PM
With the Sox and Twins playing a game of who can run backwards the slowest how many wins do you think it will take to win the Division now?

Can either team play .500 ball until the end and get to 89?

I don't like our remaining schedule and I'm not normally a dark cloud type person, but I'm not sure we can get to 89. Tell me I'm wrong, please.

Thoughts?

thomas35forever
09-03-2008, 12:00 AM
I'll say 90.

JB98
09-03-2008, 12:09 AM
91 will get it done.

DSpivack
09-03-2008, 12:17 AM
91 will get it done.

Yes, and it rhymes!

DumpJerry
09-03-2008, 12:22 AM
The Baseball Gods want at least one interesting division race this year.

The AL Central drew the short straw.

IronFisk
09-03-2008, 12:44 AM

Nice, but the Sox will end up with 87 and 2 games out to the twinks.

...but we will always have Jerry Owens

LoveYourSuit
09-03-2008, 12:45 AM
The Baseball Gods want at least one interesting division race this year.

The AL Central drew the short straw.

I really don't know how interesting 2 crappy teams going at it for a division will please whatever "Baseball Gods: you think exist. One team is a small market club full on no names and the other is and Old under-acheiving expensive team which plays second fiddle in their own town.

Thank God for the NL West, this division race (AL Central) is becoming a joke of crap.

Only thing we as Sox fans have to hang our hats on is that 2006 bad WS Champ Cardinals team.

LITTLE NELL
09-03-2008, 06:14 AM
Right now, 90 is a stretch.

Lillian
09-03-2008, 06:33 AM
I really don't care how many they win. The Sox aren't playing the kind of ball that would bode well for the Playoffs. This team would likely not get through the first round.
The pitching staff not only lacks a true Ace, but it is beginning to look like they don't even have an effective #2 or #3. Gavin Floyd is the only guy in whom I would have any confidence in a Playoff game.
Let's hope that K.W. can have another off season half as good as this last one. My attention is already drifting toward 2009.

nccwsfan
09-03-2008, 09:10 AM
24 games to go with a 77-61 record. Assuming that one of the teams plays around .600 ball the rest of the way (14-10 record) you have 91 wins. So I'll be the optimist and say 92-70 or better will win the division.

Marqhead
09-03-2008, 09:15 AM
I really don't care how many they win. The Sox aren't playing the kind of ball that would bode well for the Playoffs. This team would likely not get through the first round.
The pitching staff not only lacks a true Ace, but it is beginning to look like they don't even have an effective #2 or #3. Gavin Floyd is the only guy in whom I would have any confidence in a Playoff game.
Let's hope that K.W. can have another off season half as good as this last one. My attention is already drifting toward 2009.

Your White Sox fan card has been revoked.

nccwsfan
09-03-2008, 09:15 AM

:darkclouds:

:rolleyes: Seriously, you're giving up on 2008 and looking towards 2009?

doublem23
09-03-2008, 09:18 AM

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/STL/2006_sched.shtml

Quit whining.

Lillian
09-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Your White Sox fan card has been revoked.

If being a fan means that you can't be rational, and realistic, then I willingly turn in my card.

Marqhead
09-03-2008, 09:35 AM
If being a fan means that you can't be rational, and realistic, then I willingly turn in my card.
Being a fan means that you don't give up on your team when they are TIED FOR FIRST PLACE WITH ONE MONTH TO GO.

beasly213
09-03-2008, 09:37 AM

If the playoffs started tomorrow you would be right. but they don't. The Sox have time to get hot at the right time. If this team is running on all cylinders they are tough to beat.

I don't really see how you can give up on the team that on September 3rd is in first place. Especially when the team we are racing towards the playoffs with isn't playing good baseball either... :scratch:

RowanDye
09-03-2008, 09:41 AM
I really don't know how interesting 2 crappy teams going at it for a division will please whatever "Baseball Gods: you think exist. One team is a small market club full on no names and the other is and Old under-acheiving expensive team which plays second fiddle in their own town.

Thank God for the NL West, this division race (AL Central) is becoming a joke of crap.

Only thing we as Sox fans have to hang our hats on is that 2006 bad WS Champ Cardinals team.

"A joke of crap", heh, I like that.

Lillian
09-03-2008, 09:42 AM
I didn't say that I had given up on this season. What I said was that this starting pitching staff looks too weak to give the Sox a good chance in the Playoffs.
Beating the Twins for the Division Title is not the goal. Winning the Pennant and the World Series are the ultimate prizes and this team doesn't look prepared for that kind of a challenge. I hope that they get it together, but I simply can't be optimistic in the face of this kind of performance.
Of course anything can happen, but com'on, be honest. Do any of you really like this team's chances, the way they are pitching?
In view of this glaring weakness, my mind cannot help but be distracted to the task of fixing the problem for next year.

Law11
09-03-2008, 09:42 AM
:darkclouds:

:rolleyes: Seriously, you're giving up on 2008 and looking towards 2009?

Did you hear ozzie last night. "We look dead" doesnt bode well as far as how optimistic Oz seems to see this teams chances right now.
And his comments werent the fiery kick you n the butt type of comments.

You have a pitching staff in shambles a bullpen thats a mess, and the bats have gone silent.

Unless they find some magic soon this season is going to be toast.
All its going to take at this point is one team to run off 5 straight and it may well be decided.

Lets hope we gets things back at home... Not that playing the Angels is a walk in the park but at least we are at home..

Lillian
09-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Did you hear ozzie last night. "We look dead" doesnt bode well as far as how optimistic Oz seems to see this teams chances right now.

You have a pitching staff in shambles a bullpen thats a mess, and the bats have gone silent.

Unless they find some magic soon this season is going to be toast.
All its going to take at this point is one team to run off 5 straight and it may well be decided.

Lets hope we gets things back at home... Not that playing the Angels is a walk in the park but at least we are at home..

I guess Ozzie and I both have to turn in our "White Sox Fan Cards".

Marqhead
09-03-2008, 09:54 AM
I guess Ozzie and I both have to turn in our "White Sox Fan Cards".
Despite what Ozzie says, he's not looking forward to 2009 with a month left to play. If he is, he should be fired.

nccwsfan
09-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Despite what Ozzie says, he's not looking forward to 2009 with a month left to play. If he is, he should be fired.

Same goes for the coaching staff and players- anyone who gives up now shouldn't be on this team. I'm pretty sure that they're not looking to 2009.

SBSoxFan
09-03-2008, 10:05 AM
A long time ago, I said whoever plays better on the road will when the division. Well, it appears both teams suck on the road, and, with only about 11 road games left, that doesn't leave much time for improvement.

The Sox have one more home game, but have 3 left in Minnesota; that's the wild card. I'll go with 90.

Lillian
09-03-2008, 10:09 AM

That's because he isn't just a fan, he's also the Manager. I think the fan in him probably feels the way I do.

Lillian
09-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Look, of course anything can happen, especially in baseball.
The simple fact is that this team does not look like a World Champion.
Anyone who can't see that has a lot more blind faith than I do. If they were pitching, then I could be hopeful that the bats might get hot, but that isn't the case.

Marqhead
09-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Anyone who can't see that, has a lot more blind faith than I could ever muster up. If they were pitching, then I could be hopeful that the bats might get hot, but that isn't the case.
I agree with you. I don't like how the team looks, but I'm not ready to write them off just yet. If you remember, the 2005 team struggled mightly down the strech, yes they were a better team than this one, but still. Like you said, anything can happen.

hi im skot
09-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Anyone who can't see that, has a lot more blind faith than I could ever muster up. If they were pitching, then I could be hopeful that the bats might get hot, but that isn't the case.

Around this time in 2005 the Sox didn't look like World Champions either.

It's a frustrating stretch, no doubt, but have some faith!

PeoriaSoxFan
09-03-2008, 10:58 AM
I believe it will take 14 or 15 wins the rest of the way to finish with 91 or 92 wins for the season. If the Sox could play .615 baseball at home and .500 baseball on the road (a big reach), the rest of the way, that would put us at 91.

We need to:
win 1 today vs. Clev on the road
Take 2 out of 3 from LA at home
Split 2 (maybe take 3) with Toronto at home
Take 2 out of 3 vs. Detroit at home
Split 2 with NY on the road
Take 2 out of 3 on road from KC on the road
Win 1 in Minn out of 3 on the road (we might need 2 given the impact)
Take 2 out of 3 from Clev. at home

That would = 14, realistic? We need a hot streak.

oeo
09-03-2008, 11:00 AM

That's better than what we've been hearing over the past couple of weeks. 'Everything is fine', 'when we get Linebrink back we're going to be awesome'. At least he finally said what's been evident for awhile now: they look like crap.

angiew
09-03-2008, 11:04 AM

I agree...it's frustrating as hell:angry: We can't continue to play like **** and depend on the twinks to lose every time we do just to stay tied....it's way past getting old. But I'm with Skot. I have faith!:smile:

RockyMtnSoxFan
09-03-2008, 11:06 AM
During the 2005 freefall in August and September, I got pretty depressed. I didn't quite give up on them, but I felt that if they kept playing the way they had been, it would be over. Fortunately they turned it around, got the clutch hits and the strong pitching when they needed to.

I feel the same way now (though I'm not nearly excited about this team as I was about the 2005 version). Their current performance is not going to get them anywhere. If they look like this two weeks from now, they're probably done for the season. However, it won't take too much to break out of this. We just need our starters to make that good pitch with runners in scoring position, and our hitters to shorten their swings and hit to the opposite field to drive in runs. A few bounces go our way, and we are right back on top.

russ99
09-03-2008, 11:40 AM
During the 2005 freefall in August and September, I got pretty depressed. I didn't quite give up on them, but I felt that if they kept playing the way they had been, it would be over. Fortunately they turned it around, got the clutch hits and the strong pitching when they needed to.

I feel the same way now (though I'm not nearly excited about this team as I was about the 2005 version). Their current performance is not going to get them anywhere. If they look like this two weeks from now, they're probably done for the season. However, it won't take too much to break out of this. We just need our starters to make that good pitch with runners in scoring position, and our hitters to shorten their swings and hit to the opposite field to drive in runs. A few bounces go our way, and we are right back on top.

Great point.

Though I'm kinda glad we're seeing a slump now rather than in October, and if they can't pull out of it now, they really don't deserve to play postseason ball. Maybe that homestand (granted, against some tough teams) will cure what ails them.

The only goal is to get through the 162-game grind and make the playoffs, after that anything can happen.

LoveYourSuit
09-03-2008, 11:57 AM

Only difference is Ozzie was not trotting out Boone Sucks Logan in key situations down the stretch that year.

The pitching staff has huge holes. The bullpen has become rail thin and we don't have an ACE on that starting staff like a Jose Contreras who took the bull by the horn and carried this team to the finish line. Maybe Gavin can be that guy, but that might be asking way too much from a young in-experienced arm. And now the Danks issues lately are very alarming.

Lillian
09-03-2008, 12:20 PM
The problem with hoping for this team to be revitalized by the upcoming homestand is that they are not pitching, and our park is not particularly conducive to helping pitchers.
The bats may indeed wake up, but I don't see how the Cell will help our struggling pitchers. What am I missing?

KingXerxes
09-03-2008, 12:27 PM
88 wins.

nccwsfan
09-03-2008, 12:59 PM
The problem with hoping for this team to be revitalized by the upcoming homestand is that they are not pitching, and our park is not particularly conducive to helping pitchers.
The bats may indeed wake up, but I don't see how the Cell will help our struggling pitchers. What am I missing?

But hasn't this been the case for most of the season? On the road we're usually struggling, pitching is poor, hitting goes into a funk, etc. As soon as they get back into the Cell the hitting turns around and more often than not the starting pitching gets better).

Also remember that the Cell is not conducive to helping our opponents pitchers either.

munchman33
09-03-2008, 01:03 PM
At the rate both teams are going....73 ought to do it.

tstrike2000
09-03-2008, 01:25 PM
I jokingly said a few weeks back that I'd shave my head if the Sox won 90 games at the rate they were going. Even if I was serious about shaving my head, I was pretty sure the Sox would reach the 90 win plateau. I still think they will, but it's gonna be close, as is the division to the end.

Pear-Zin-Ski
09-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Being a fan means that you don't give up on your team when they are TIED FOR FIRST PLACE WITH ONE MONTH TO GO.

Its nice and all that we MAY win the division...but I didnt realize that was the goal at the end of each season...I thought it contained the words World and Series and Champions....

mabey its just me....

doublem23
09-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Its nice and all that we MAY win the division...but I didnt realize that was the goal at the end of each season...I thought it contained the words World and Series and Champions....

mabey its just me....

:scratch:

We're ****ing White Sox fans. When did a yearly demand of a World Series enter the equation?

Just keep winning until you run out of games to play.

Marqhead
09-03-2008, 03:21 PM
:scratch:

We're ****ing White Sox fans. When did a yearly demand of a World Series enter the equation?

Just keep winning until you run out of games to play.

Thank you. Are people forgetting something? You have to win the division/wild card before you can think World Series. One step at a time guys, one step at a time.

RowanDye
09-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Only difference is Ozzie was not trotting out Boone Sucks Logan in key situations down the stretch that year.

The pitching staff has huge holes. The bullpen has become rail thin and we don't have an ACE on that starting staff like a Jose Contreras who took the bull by the horn and carried this team to the finish line. Maybe Gavin can be that guy, but that might be asking way too much from a young in-experienced arm. And now the Danks issues lately are very alarming.

Contreras only pitched ~1/5th of the time.

hawkjt
09-03-2008, 03:52 PM
I think 91 will win it..90 will tie. Sox have 78 wins...can they go 13-10 to get to 91-71? I think that is what it will take. Go Sox.

LITTLE NELL
09-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Just went through our schedule and the Twins schedule. After todays win we go 13-10 for 91-71, Twins 12-12 for 89-73.
Sox go 2-1 vs LA
2-2 vs Tor
2-1 vs Det
2-2 vs NYY
2-1 vs KC
1-2 vs Minn
2-1 vs Cleve.

chisoxmike
09-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Just went through our schedule and the Twins schedule. After todays win we go 13-10 for 91-71, Twins 12-12 for 89-73.
Sox go 2-1 vs LA
2-2 vs Tor
2-1 vs Det
2-2 vs NYY
2-1 vs KC
1-2 vs Minn
2-1 vs Cleve.

I would say it would be pretty amazing the Sox winning the series against the Angels. I'm expecting them to only take one of those three.

But, the rest of your assessment of the schedule seems the most realistic. Hopefully, the Sox can steal a game or two down the stretch here to make things a bit easier...

gn2727
09-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Its weird cause about 2 weeks ago I woulda said mid 90s for wins but now it looks like 90 will be closer to the winner of the division.

The Sox & Twins are playing horribly right now. Thanks to Minnesota's funk we are able to even be close right now...

LITTLE NELL
09-03-2008, 04:20 PM
I would say it would be pretty amazing the Sox winning the series against the Angels. I'm expecting them to only take one of those three.

But, the rest of your assessment of the schedule seems the most realistic. Hopefully, the Sox can steal a game or two down the stretch here to make things a bit easier...
Since we have one of the best home records in MLB I dont know if I'd call it amazing if we won 2 from the LAA. Maybe one of those games will be a steal that you mentioned.Lets hope so. I think we need to get on the right track on this homestand. If we go 5-5 on this homestand, I think we are in trouble.

whitesox901
09-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Since we have one of the best home records in MLB I dont know if I'd call it amazing if we won 2 from the LAA. Maybe one of those games will be a steal that you mentioned.Lets hope so. I think we need to get on the right track on this homestand. If we go 5-5 on this homestand, I think we are in trouble.

Ditto, this home front we need to go 7-3

SoxFan1979
09-04-2008, 03:16 AM
I agree with the faithless and the faithfuls :?: . These Sox are frustrating to watch on one end and very exciting the next. I can't win!!!!

Mohoney
09-04-2008, 03:22 AM
I'm really starting to think more and more that this division could be won with under 90 wins. If neither team has a defining September homestand, and the 3 games in Minnesota don't end in a sweep either way, 89 wins might take it. These teams both have bullpen issues that don't seem immediately fixable, although Linebrink's performance before he went on the DL offers some hope for us.

PeteWard
09-04-2008, 05:46 AM
Mr prediction. Both teams will heat up. Starting Thursday they will both go 15-8 with the Sox winning the division by one game--at 93 wins.

Don't ask me how I know this, I just do.

:rolleyes:

PeteWard
09-04-2008, 05:52 AM

Well maybe you are right on the Angels series, but I think the Sox will sweep either Detroit or Cleveland at home--if not both series-- and they should put them at 92 or 93 wins. That should do it.

guillensdisciple
09-04-2008, 08:20 PM
91 victories, I am still optimistic the Sox can pull it off on the road and if they do they have the potential to win 93- 95, but after seeing what transpired in the past road trip my optimism has faltered dramatically, but we will see.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Going into Angels series, the Sox have 78 wins. Here is what I think they'll do in the remaining series:

3 H Angels -- 2 wins
4 H Toronto -- 2 wins
3 H Detroit -- 3 wins
4 at New York -- 2 wins
3 at Kansas City -- 2 wins
3 at Minnesota -- 1 win
3 H Cleveland -- 2 wins

That would give them 92 wins.

For the Twins, they have 77 wins going into game vs. Toronto tonight. I will put them down for a loss (theyr'e down 4 with 2 innings to play.) They have the remaining series after tonight:
3 H Detroit-- 2 wins
3 H Kansas City -- 3 wins
3 at Baltimore -- 1 win
3 at Cleveland -- 1 win
4 at Tampa Bay -- 1 win
3 H White Sox -- 2 wins
3 H Kansas City -- 3 wins

That will give them 90 wins.

In any case, it figures to go down to the last weekend unless one of the teams gets hot or one implodes.

asindc
09-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Its weird cause about 2 weeks ago I woulda said mid 90s for wins but now it looks like 90 will be closer to the winner of the division.

The Sox & Twins are playing horribly right now. Thanks to Minnesota's funk we are able to even be close right now...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Twinkees trying to stay close with the Sox?:scratch:

pmck003
09-04-2008, 10:33 PM
The only things that worry me are Danks looking tired and if TCQ's injury is more serious than whats being told. Record wise, what more could you expect from a road series in Boston and against a Cleveland team that is playing very good baseball?

guillensdisciple
09-04-2008, 10:45 PM
This home trip is absolutely crucial though, the Sox have to create some separation with the twins, it is either that or going on the road and playing some quality baseball. Since the sox haven't done that yet I am assumingthis home stand might do the trick.
91 wins, I think that will be enough to make it.

WisSoxFan
09-05-2008, 09:52 AM
To answer my own question I'm going with 90 wins being enough to win the division. That makes our magic number 12. :tongue:

whitesox901
09-05-2008, 01:21 PM
90 Wins, were gonna switch Wins for losses for the 3rd straight year, iirc

'06: 90-72
'07: 72-90
'08: 90-72

LITTLE NELL
09-07-2008, 07:16 AM

We got the series win, lets go for the sweep.

hawkjt
09-07-2008, 09:53 AM
the next five games we face saunders,burnett,halladay,marcum and litske...those are five tough pitchers. I am freaked out about this 5 game stretch. The jays have won like 7 in a row. Just like the indians when the sox faced them last week, the jays are the hottest team in the AL.
This is gonna be gut-wrenching.

mccoydp
09-07-2008, 10:10 AM
How many wins will it take to win the Central division?

One more than the Twins.

LITTLE NELL
09-07-2008, 10:19 AM
the next five games we face saunders,burnett,halladay,marcum and litske...those are five tough pitchers. I am freaked out about this 5 game stretch. The jays have won like 7 in a row. Just like the indians when the sox faced them last week, the jays are the hottest team in the AL.
This is gonna be gut-wrenching.
I agree, the Toronto series is going to be tough. Lets win today while we got the Angels down,split with with the Jays and take 2 out of 3 from Detroit and we should be OK heading into that 10 game road trip.

Rounding_Third
09-07-2008, 12:04 PM
What was nice was with Santana pitching Thursday and Weaver's freak accident, it gave us a better chance at winning an extra game, taking the series, and improving our lead over the Twins and we did. Got to take advantage of those little quirks in a playoff run.

sox1970
09-07-2008, 06:30 PM
If the Sox go 4-3, 4-3, 3-3 the next three weeks, I like their chances.

The Twins would have to go 13-6 to tie.