PDA

View Full Version : The Sox show have made more trades sooner

MattSharp
05-14-2002, 12:32 PM
I was thinking about it today and prior to last season all everyone talked about was the stockpile of young pitchers the Sox had. They could have traded a handful of them for some talent. They did that once this off-season by trading Josh Fogg. He is one of the better pitchers in the NL right now. But so far Rauch, Garland, Wright, Ginter, Barcelo, and probably a few others haven't quite lived up to their potential. I know they are young, but could we have been better off trading some of these guys last year. Now we have this stockpile of 2nd-rate players.....

FanOf14
05-14-2002, 12:36 PM
I think you need to give Rauch (did anyone here know that Rauch means "smoke" in German?) a little time. He is just coming back from surgery and was mishandled after that. He really wasn't given much time to regain anything from the beginning of the season to his first start. The sox had no business bringing him up like that; he needed time to recoup like the other legions of the other Sox pitchers that had surgery last season.

cheeses_h_rice
05-14-2002, 12:40 PM
Your crystal ball must work better than KW's, I'm assuming.

Let's give KW some credit for picking up the Sox MVP for the year so far, Kenny Lofton. Without him, the Sox would be .500 or below.

While it is apparent that this team as currently constituted is not a pennant-worthy bunch, I still think they have enough overall talent to win the division. I certainly wouldn't expect KW and JR to stand pat if the Sox are vying with the Twinks for the division lead come July. Let's wait 'til all the cards are shown before jumping off the ledge.

MattSharp
05-14-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Your crystal ball must work better than KW's, I'm assuming.

Let's give KW some credit for picking up the Sox MVP for the year so far, Kenny Lofton. Without him, the Sox would be .500 or below.

While it is apparent that this team as currently constituted is not a pennant-worthy bunch, I still think they have enough overall talent to win the division. I certainly wouldn't expect KW and JR to stand pat if the Sox are vying with the Twinks for the division lead come July. Let's wait 'til all the cards are shown before jumping off the ledge.

I wasn't saying give the farm away, but we have too many pitchers as it is. Roll the dice and trade a couple of them. Otherwise only half of them will pan out anyway and the rest will rot in the minors forever.

BearSox
05-14-2002, 02:06 PM
Both Wright and Garland have shown they can win at this level. Now its just about consistency. At this point we're only a game and a half out with those two and they're gaining the experience now that they're every 5th day starters whereas Garland had been brought up and down from the miunors the past few years and had some bullpen time and wright had only started since the end of last season. Had they not had good games, if every outing had been a 2002 Parque like outing, then i'd definately be concerned, and i'm also confident that come trade deadline time KW will pull something off. We did it in 2002 gaining Charles Johnson so why not this season?

hold2dibber
05-14-2002, 02:44 PM
I have no problem with dealing young pitching to get proven pitching as a general concept; I've been hearing about "can't miss" Sox pitching prospects my whole life, but very few have panned out. That said, I don't have any faith that the organization is any good at evaluating its own pitching talent. So far, of the much bally-hooed young guns of the late '90's, the two that have shown the most on the major league level are Buehrle and Fogg and neither of those guys ever seemed to get much respect or garner that much excitement within the organization. I'm afraid that if we deal young pitchers, we'll deal the wrong ones and keep the busts.

And the inconsistency of Wright and Garland (and Biddle, K. Wells, and others) certainly suggests to me that a pitching coach change is warranted; these guys clearly have the talent, but for whatever reason, can't seem to put it together on a regular basis. The responsibility for that failing rests, without question, on the shoulders of the pitching coach.

Jerry_Manuel
05-14-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
I wasn't saying give the farm away, but we have too many pitchers as it is. Roll the dice and trade a couple of them. Otherwise only half of them will pan out anyway and the rest will rot in the minors forever.

If your going to trade a Rauch or a Garland, you would have to get high priced talent back. As we know, our owner isn't a fan of high priced talent.

Garrison
05-14-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by BearSox
Both Wright and Garland have shown they can win at this level. Now its just about consistency.

This is what I have been saying all along. They will be good pitchers with the talent level that they have. But where do we find the consistency? Bullpen time? AAA time? Less Nardi time? We need to find the missing piece of the puzzle that will get them performing well on a regular basis like BurlyMon. We've made them every 5th day starters so far this season and they both have had real good outings and shown flashes of dominance. But overall without the consistency it's been more or less a toss-up of how well they'll do. What's that last piece? I sure don't know.....