PDA

View Full Version : Big Hurt on 15-day DL

DumpJerry
09-01-2008, 05:07 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8508760/A%27s-Thomas-hits-15-day-DL-with-strained-quad

Strained quad. Get well soon, Big Guy!

RKMeibalane
09-01-2008, 06:17 PM
It's looking more and more like Frank is finished. Too bad he didn't get to play in front of his hometown fans one last time.

TDog
09-01-2008, 06:28 PM
It's looking more and more like Frank is finished. Too bad he didn't get to play in front of his hometown fans one last time.

He is out for the season, according to the A's announcers. His career might be over. He doesn't have a contract or any sort of an option for 2009 season. He will be a free agent in the offseason. He doesn't play defense, limiting his options. I have heard that he wants to play for the A's next season. (A's fans believe they are his hometown fans, which I find bizarre.) I don't see any way he is gong to get a contract from Oakland, not for the sort of money he demands. Really, after what he has done this season, I don't see him getting a contract from anyone, not for the sort of money he will be looking for.

Woofer
09-01-2008, 06:56 PM
If he's done, he had a great career. I hope he gets healthy and gives it another go next year.

eastchicagosoxfan
09-01-2008, 06:58 PM
I wish there were a way, and the will may be needed too, to get Hurt for a day this year. One final at bat before he heads to Cooperstown.

chisoxfanatic
09-01-2008, 08:23 PM
It would be great for the Sox to sign him for a one-day contract for next year's home opener if we win the World Series!

sox1970
09-01-2008, 08:36 PM
It would be great for the Sox to sign him for a one-day contract for next year's home opener if we win the World Series!

:o:

Brian26
09-01-2008, 08:46 PM

:scratch:

StillMissOzzie
09-01-2008, 10:01 PM

That whole 1-day contract, retire-in-the-uni-you-had-your-best-years-in thing is much more NFL than MLB.

SMO
:gulp:

Nellie_Fox
09-02-2008, 02:19 AM
It would be great for the Sox to sign him for a one-day contract for next year's home opener if we win the World Series!Why would it have to be after winning the WS? It would be a nice "fence mending" to have Frank retire in a Sox uni, but I doubt that Kenny would go for it.

I really hope he does call it a career, either of his own volition or because no one signs him, and I can't tell you how much it hurts me to say that. His career BA is dropping, as is the memory of how good he was in his prime. Continuing to hang on like he is now could negatively impact on his HOF chances.

DumpJerry
09-02-2008, 08:13 AM

Why would it have to be after winning the WS? It would be a nice "fence mending" to have Frank retire in a Sox uni, but I doubt that Kenny would go for it.

I really hope he does call it a career, either of his own volition or because no one signs him, and I can't tell you how much it hurts me to say that. His career BA is dropping, as is the memory of how good he was in his prime. Continuing to hang on like he is now could negatively impact on his HOF chances.
Not to mention the fact that the Collective Bargaining Agreement does not allow one day contracts. This is the very gimmick MLB frowned upon when the Sox would activate Minnie Minoso every decade for an at-bat.

Big Frank is not a carnival side show, let's keep his memory as it is-one of the best hitters in the history of baseball.

pierzynski07
09-02-2008, 09:31 AM
What I've seen instead is players signed to minor league contracts, with the retirement coming that day.

tacosalbarojas
09-02-2008, 01:33 PM
It would be a nice "fence mending" to have Frank retire in a Sox uni, but I doubt that Kenny would go for it.

You aren't kidding. I wonder what it will be like for Kenny when Frank gets his statue...off scouting in Pretoria that day, I'd guess.