PDA

View Full Version : AJ - What a guy!

hula
08-31-2008, 07:59 PM
I was in Baltimore Monday and Tuesday to see the Sox play. On Tuesday we went to batting practice and hoped to get some autographs. I've been collecting some on my 2005 Championship t-shirt when players have come to North Carolina for rehabbing (Pods, Paulie, Jenks). I figured in Baltimore I'd have a chance to get a bunch.

As it turned out it wasn't an easy task to get their attention, but AJ did manage to respond to my plea. While he was signing my shirt by 3rd base I told him my partner was down by the dugout with a "got Pierzynski?" shirt and would be so thrilled if he signed it and would he please. He say "ok" but I figured it was a longshot.

To her surprise and delight he walked back to the dugout and was looking into the crowd of people there. When she saw him she waved the shirt, he spoted her and then motioned for her to throw it to him. She was a few rows up from the edge of the dugout and when she threw the shirt it fell in the deep stairwell next to the dugout. He actually took his bat handle and dug it out of there and then carefully layed it out on the padded railing, looked it over and then signed it in huge letters. When he threw it back to her it landed smack in her face, which was pretty funny! That was the only autograph he gave at the dugout. We couldn't believe it!! How nice is that?!!

AJ - you da man!!

:bandance:

Btw, his hair looks great in person!!

soxfanreggie
08-31-2008, 09:14 PM
And wouldn't you know it, a nice gesture from the biggest jerk in baseball. AJ is a guy who plays the game with passion. I am glad he's on our team.

thomas35forever
08-31-2008, 09:26 PM
And wouldn't you know it, a nice gesture from the biggest jerk in baseball. AJ is a guy who plays the game with passion. I am glad he's on our team.
He could be the smartest player in the game. I can see him managing one day.

chisoxfanatic
08-31-2008, 09:28 PM
He could be the smartest player in the game. I can see him managing one day.
I agree; but, don't tell some of the posters here that. :rolleyes:

He knows all of the ins and outs of this game. He would make a great manager. Perhaps even in this organization! KW made a heck of an acquisition when he went out and got AJ.

DSpivack
08-31-2008, 09:32 PM
I agree; but, don't tell some of the posters here that. :rolleyes:

He knows all of the ins and outs of this game. He would make a great manager. Perhaps even in this organization! KW made a heck of an acquisition when he went out and got AJ.

Certainly a lot of managers were once catchers.

FedEx227
08-31-2008, 09:35 PM
He is definitely post-playing manager material. Catches typically know their stuff and AJ is no exception.

lizard6king6
08-31-2008, 09:41 PM
Yep class act, we went to some best buy promotion thast we won weeks ago and he signed a ball for all the winners hen took pictures with all of us if we wanted although the sponsor said no pictures. He said he didnt mind. AJ!!!!!

turners56
08-31-2008, 09:44 PM

I think his competitive nature just makes him the enemy.

markopat
08-31-2008, 10:28 PM
It's funny. I have grown to like AJ the way that I grew to like Dennis Rodman in the Bulls run. AJ is the kind of guy that the other teams and fans love to hate...but I am SO glad he is on our squad! Viva la AJ!

EMachine10
08-31-2008, 11:03 PM
I actually just said to a friend that I hope AJ is our manager when he's done playing.

Boondock Saint
09-01-2008, 12:05 AM
AJ is awesome. Fans of other ball clubs are jealous. :redneck

I can totally see AJ as a manager after his playing career ends. Catchers just seem to be a natural fit for the job, as they generally have a good understanding of all aspects of the game. They have to hit and field, as well as know how to play to each and every pitchers particular strengths.

DumpJerry
09-01-2008, 12:09 AM
There was a game last year at home where he was walking to the dugout at the end of an inning. He tossed the ball to a kid only to have it intercepted by some adult jerk. Well....AJ stood there and gave Mr. Wonderful a cold, hard stare and kept pointing to the kid he wanted to have the ball. Mr. Wonderful just sat there refusing to give up the ball. AJ got another ball and made sure the kid got it while staring at the jerk....

WhiteSox5187
09-01-2008, 12:49 AM
I have a cousin who met AJ in the off season (I want to say in California, but I'm not sure) and he also said AJ was very nice. My dad has a few friends who work in baseball (front office positions with the Reds and the Tigers) and they have also said that off the field AJ is very polite.

I don't know if he'd be a good manager simply because he seems SO high strung and supersticious that it could drive guys nuts. Rick Reilly wrote an article about him in '05 that said if he was catching a righty he had to step out of the bed with his right foot, brush his teeth with his right hand, etc. and as soon as the game is over and the next day he is supposed to catch a lefty his first step as soon as the last out is recorded his next step has to be with his left foot. He sounds almost like Monk, and while I think that's the sort of thing that his teammates can tolerate (unless they happen to be named Barry Bonds), I could see how it would drive players who have to play for him nuts and it also could wind up driving him nuts!

Nellie_Fox
09-01-2008, 01:43 AM
It's funny. I have grown to like AJ the way that I grew to like Dennis Rodman in the Bulls run. AJ is the kind of guy that the other teams and fans love to hate...but I am SO glad he is on our squad! Viva la AJ!I liked AJ even when he was with the Twins. I never liked Rodman at any time.

WSox597
09-01-2008, 07:03 AM
I liked AJ even when he was with the Twins. I never liked Rodman at any time.

Same here. I always liked AJ's game, even when it beat us.

Rodman, on the other hand, I just didn't like his 'schtick' at all.

DickAllen72
09-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Ditto the previous two posts.

Garland_IS_God
09-01-2008, 10:00 AM
I met him at the Auto Show right after they had won the World Series. I waited in line for 2 hours with my fiance just to get my AJ jersey signed and when it was my turn in the front, he asked me "Thats all you brought?" I told him yeah thats all I wanted signed. He was willing to sign anything and everything for the fans. I heard from a friend who works at McCormick Place that he ended up staying for an hour longer than he was suppose to that day. He seemed like a stand up guy.

slavko
09-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Only connection between AJ and Rodman: Hair color. Who can forget the time Rodman showed up to a book signing wearing a white wedding dress, a strawberry blond wig, full makeup and a pink feathered boa. Yes, I'm serious.

WhiteSox5187
09-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Only connection between AJ and Rodman: Hair color. Who can forget the time Rodman showed up to a book signing wearing a white wedding dress, a strawberry blond wig, full makeup and a pink feathered boa. Yes, I'm serious.
Well, Rodman was all about self promotion and realized that he would make a lot more money by showing up to things in a wedding dress and with green colored hair as opposed to dressing normally. He laughed all the way to the bank...but both Rodman and AJ were very serious competitors between the lines and they were both very smart players (although I think AJ is a bit smarter).

Pods4455
09-01-2008, 02:43 PM
My ex used to be really close to some of the guys who pitched in the bullpen for the sox in previous years. Once I asked them if AJ was really the jerk everyone said he was and the responce was "no way- he might be the coolest guy you'd ever hope to meet."... they said he's always paying for drinks and dinners for people... that hes just SO competitve that he rubs people the wrong way somtimes... which was really nice to know. Makes me SO happy AJ is on our team!!!! And i totally agree with the past posters- id love to see him managing our team one day!

thomas35forever
09-01-2008, 04:25 PM
My ex used to be really close to some of the guys who pitched in the bullpen for the sox in previous years. Once I asked them if AJ was really the jerk everyone said he was and the responce was "no way- he might be the coolest guy you'd ever hope to meet."... they said he's always paying for drinks and dinners for people... that hes just SO competitve that he rubs people the wrong way somtimes... which was really nice to know. Makes me SO happy AJ is on our team!!!! And i totally agree with the past posters- id love to see him managing our team one day!
Gene Honda in the distant future: "White Sox fans, on your feet for your 2020 Chicago White Sox, managed by number 12, A.J. Pierzynski!"

markopat
09-01-2008, 05:54 PM
both Rodman and AJ were very serious competitors between the lines and they were both very smart players (although I think AJ is a bit smarter).

Love him or hate him, that dude was a rebounding machine...sans his crazy look, he was the best at what he did.

KingXerxes
09-01-2008, 09:04 PM
I've always wondered about Pierzynski's one year in San Francisco and hope somebody could fill in the blanks.

As I understand it, the Giants organization could not get rid of him quickly enough. The pitching staff hated him, the fans hated him etc.

Does anybody know what happened?

WhiteSox5187
09-01-2008, 09:10 PM
I've always wondered about Pierzynski's one year in San Francisco and hope somebody could fill in the blanks.

As I understand it, the Giants organization could not get rid of him quickly enough. The pitching staff hated him, the fans hated him etc.

Does anybody know what happened?
I think AJ had a hard time adjusting to that trade and wasn't really expecting it. Plus that was not exactly the most welcoming clubhouse in the world and was still pretty polarized between the Jeff Kent (who left the team the year before) and Barry Bonds thing...I think AJ is a pretty high strung guy who can drive guys nuts at times and when you have a clubhouse that is loose with guys like Buerhle, Thome, and Swisher, I think they can tolerate AJ. But a clubhouse that is dominated by the big brooding prescense of Barry Bonds, mmm, a guy like AJ might not fit in so well there.

KingXerxes
09-01-2008, 09:14 PM
I think AJ had a hard time adjusting to that trade and wasn't really expecting it. Plus that was not exactly the most welcoming clubhouse in the world and was still pretty polarized between the Jeff Kent (who left the team the year before) and Barry Bonds thing...I think AJ is a pretty high strung guy who can drive guys nuts at times and when you have a clubhouse that is loose with guys like Buerhle, Thome, and Swisher, I think they can tolerate AJ. But a clubhouse that is dominated by the big brooding prescense of Barry Bonds, mmm, a guy like AJ might not fit in so well there.

I kind of figured that Bonds would be involved, but I kind of remember the pitching staff hating him.

WhiteSox5187
09-01-2008, 11:37 PM
I kind of figured that Bonds would be involved, but I kind of remember the pitching staff hating him.
Brett Tomko certainly hated him, but again, he's not exactly in the running for the nicest guy in the world. When you look at the numbers put up by some of the pitchers though it makes me think that AJ was just the fall guy for guys struggling.

Nellie_Fox
09-02-2008, 12:57 AM
Love him or hate him, that dude was a rebounding machine...sans his crazy look, he was the best at what he did.I don't pretend to know much of anything about basketball, but I remember hearing experts at the time who said that if any player in the NBA decided to simply concentrate on rebounding at the expense of pretty much every other part of his game (which is what Rodman was doing, according to them) they could do the same thing. He was very one-dimensional.

DSpivack
09-02-2008, 01:34 AM
I don't pretend to know much of anything about basketball, but I remember hearing experts at the time who said that if any player in the NBA decided to simply concentrate on rebounding at the expense of pretty much every other part of his game (which is what Rodman was doing, according to them) they could do the same thing. He was very one-dimensional.

That's true--Rodman was only good for rebounding and getting into player's heads (he was a master at that in the playoffs with Frank Brickowski, Karl Malone, and others) so that they do something stupid. Also, I think he took some pressure off Michael & Scottie in deflecting media attention away from them. That said, I'm not so sure he isn't the 3rd best rebounder of all time, behind Bill Russell & Wilt Chamberlain.

Nellie_Fox
09-02-2008, 02:15 AM
That said, I'm not so sure he isn't the 3rd best rebounder of all time, behind Bill Russell & Wilt Chamberlain.But they could both contribute in other ways. Russell was a superb defender and a scoring threat. Chamberlain was a dominant scorer and a serious presence in the paint.

nccwsfan
09-02-2008, 06:21 AM
I was in Baltimore Monday and Tuesday to see the Sox play. On Tuesday we went to batting practice and hoped to get some autographs. I've been collecting some on my 2005 Championship t-shirt when players have come to North Carolina for rehabbing (Pods, Paulie, Jenks). I figured in Baltimore I'd have a chance to get a bunch.

As it turned out it wasn't an easy task to get their attention, but AJ did manage to respond to my plea. While he was signing my shirt by 3rd base I told him my partner was down by the dugout with a "got Pierzynski?" shirt and would be so thrilled if he signed it and would he please. He say "ok" but I figured it was a longshot.

To her surprise and delight he walked back to the dugout and was looking into the crowd of people there. When she saw him she waved the shirt, he spoted her and then motioned for her to throw it to him. She was a few rows up from the edge of the dugout and when she threw the shirt it fell in the deep stairwell next to the dugout. He actually took his bat handle and dug it out of there and then carefully layed it out on the padded railing, looked it over and then signed it in huge letters. When he threw it back to her it landed smack in her face, which was pretty funny! That was the only autograph he gave at the dugout. We couldn't believe it!! How nice is that?!!

AJ - you da man!!

:bandance:

Btw, his hair looks great in person!!

I happened to be sitting behind home plate for batting practice on Tuesday and remember seeing this. Of the games I've been to no Sox player has been as accomodating to the fans as A.J. I'm very happy to have him on our side and echo the sentiments of others on this thread- hopefully he will remain in the organization after his playing days are over.

RockyMtnSoxFan
09-02-2008, 11:03 AM

I think you are probably right about AJ's bad reviews from San Fransisco. He's such a competitive guy that he wants to push others around him, to get them fired up and make them try harder. But everyone in that clubhouse was walking on eggshells because of Bonds, and there was probably some tension left over from Kent. Combine that with struggling pitchers and the fact that they didn't win their division, despite huge numbers from Bonds, and AJ was probably frustrated with the whole environment. He probably reacted in a way that offended some of those guys.

guillen4life13
09-02-2008, 11:13 AM
That's true--Rodman was only good for rebounding and getting into player's heads (he was a master at that in the playoffs with Frank Brickowski, Karl Malone, and others) so that they do something stupid. Also, I think he took some pressure off Michael & Scottie in deflecting media attention away from them. That said, I'm not so sure he isn't the 3rd best rebounder of all time, behind Bill Russell & Wilt Chamberlain.

Rodman was an excellent defender also. He was often put on players much bigger than him (Shaq, etc) and succeeded nicely. He was a defender and rebounder with a psychological aspect and was really good at drawing fouls also.

twentywontowin
09-02-2008, 11:23 AM

Scottie Pippen also was a guy that could get into your head. Remember in the finals he told Karl Malone right before two free throws that "the mailman doesn't deliver on Sunday", and he missed both of them?

TheVulture
09-02-2008, 12:11 PM
btw, his hair looks great in person!!

potw

LoveYourSuit
09-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Great AJ story but I might be in the minority here when it comes to player autographs. I really don't care for them nor I stand their making myself look like a child begging for one. I let players go about their business and just exchanging a hello or a few words goes far more beyond for me.

Pods4455
09-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Gene Honda in the distant future: "White Sox fans, on your feet for your 2020 Chicago White Sox, managed by number 12, A.J. Pierzynski!"

That's fantastic. I can hear it now! :-)