PDA

View Full Version : So, is this a hit or an error?

Sockinchisox
08-31-2008, 06:12 PM
CC threw a 1 hit CG shutout today against the Pirates and the 1 hit he gave up was an infield squibber that CC bobbled and it was ruled a hit. So after the game the Brewers said they are petitioning to Major League Baseball to overturn the call and give CC a no hitter.

Here is the play: http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200808313397707

The Brewers say they've gotten a call reversed before this year and hope MLB does it again.

IMO it's an error.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-31-2008, 06:19 PM
The better give him the no-hitter. The baserunner was barley half way to 1st when he grabbed the ball. Then, he droped it, it should have been an easy out. :rolleyes:

I want Mags back
08-31-2008, 06:37 PM
def an error

It's Dankerific
08-31-2008, 06:38 PM
I think its an error but they shouldn't overrule it. The pressure wasn't the same knowing he had already given up the hit.

turners56
08-31-2008, 06:41 PM
Error. He touched the ball and botched it. That's a definite error. Seriously, today's official scorers are absolutely horrendous.

JermaineDye05
08-31-2008, 06:43 PM
It sounds like an error, although if they overturn the rule what's the point really? I mean I don't know if it would be the same for CC if he had been on the mound knowing he hadn't given up a hit, the no-no would be less important IMO. He still pitched a great game. The only thing I can think it would do is it would make CC's price tag go up even more.

sox1970
08-31-2008, 06:45 PM
When a pitcher comes off the mound and mishandles it, they usually rule it a hit--especially when the ball is still spinning.

It would be pretty lame to give a no-hitter at this point. He pitched four more innings without the pressure of having a no-hitter going, so it's too late now.

thomas35forever
08-31-2008, 09:28 PM
It's an error. He couldn't get a handle on it. Give him the no-no.

turners56
08-31-2008, 09:52 PM
It's an error. He couldn't get a handle on it. Give him the no-no.

It'll probably be the worst no-no in the history of baseball.

CubKilla
08-31-2008, 10:47 PM
It'll probably be the worst no-no in the history of baseball.

Exactly. Who wants a no-hitter when it's appealed?

A. Cavatica
08-31-2008, 10:51 PM
Hit.

Bill Naharodny
08-31-2008, 11:04 PM
It sounds like an error, although if they overturn the rule what's the point really? I mean I don't know if it would be the same for CC if he had been on the mound knowing he hadn't given up a hit, the no-no would be less important IMO.

Exactly. And Yost, keeping his eye on the ball once again, whined like crazy about the call, after the game.

Woofer
08-31-2008, 11:17 PM
Plays like that are almost always called a hit, so my 2 cents are going with a hit. He probably would have thrown him out if he got a handle on the ball, though.

hi im skot
09-01-2008, 12:38 AM
Hit. There's no way Sabathia makes that play.

CHISOXFAN13
09-01-2008, 12:40 AM
Hit. There's no way Sabathia makes that play.

It might be a hit, but I've seen Sabathia make that play several times.

Nellie_Fox
09-01-2008, 02:01 AM
Error. If he'd have used his glove like he should, he throws the guy out easily.

Adele_H
09-01-2008, 02:35 AM
I think its an error but they shouldn't overrule it. The pressure wasn't the same knowing he had already given up the hit.

Oh fo' sho'

Sabathia could just turn that mamba loose knowing that there wasn't a no-hitta' at stake. Prolly made him more effective.

Plus, if overturned, I think it would set another bad precedent for future post-game appeals. I mean, it's one thing if, say, the umpire was found to be taking bribes, forcing the league to revisit recently decided game(s) and bringing in question the very legitimacy of said contest(s).... And it's quite when it's over some trivial individual stuff in a 7-0 game like this, where the questionable/potentially incorrect ruling didn't really affect anything.

Slippety slopey-slope, in other woids.

dcb56
09-01-2008, 03:16 AM
Oh fo' sho'

Sabathia could just turn that mamba loose knowing that there wasn't a no-hitta' at stake. Prolly made him more effective.

Plus, if overturned, I think it would set another bad precedent for future post-game appeals. I mean, it's one thing if, say, the umpire was found to be taking bribes, forcing the league to revisit recently decided game(s) and bringing in question the very legitimacy of said contest(s).... And it's quite when it's over some trivial individual stuff in a 7-0 game like this, where the questionable/potentially incorrect ruling didn't really affect anything.

Slippety slopey-slope, in other woids.

I totally agree, whether it was a hit or an error could go either way IMO, but to award CC a no hitter after the fact would be a total farce. On top of this replay bull****, giving a pitcher a no hitter for pitching five innings of no hit ball and then another 4 under the presumption that the opposition had notched a hit would seriously damage the league's credibility in my eyes. Maybe if this happened in the 8th I would feel differently, but as it stands if MLB awards CC a no hitter it will really piss me off.

Also, as much as I'd like to root for the Brewers, watching Ned Yost queen out after the game makes it really difficult for me to do so. Yeah dude, you got jipped out of a no hitter because a guy gave up a hit in the fifth inning and then didn't have to deal with the pressure of throwing a no hitter after that. **** off. B&B are right about Yost, that balloon head needs to get lost.

Brian26
09-01-2008, 08:24 AM
Was it an error? Yes.

Should they change it and give him an after-the-fact no-hitter? No way.

kevingrt
09-01-2008, 09:47 AM
Considering what the majority of official scorers deem a "hit" this would definitely be a hit. Does CC make the play 90% of the time? Yes. But I think nearly 95% of official scorers in the country deem this a hit. How many times does a guy botch a barehanded play and get called for an error? I mean I cannot tell you one time I have seen a guy miss a barehanded play and get called for an error.

getonbckthr
09-01-2008, 10:23 AM
I think because he went for a bare-hand it was given a hit.

Paulwny
09-01-2008, 10:57 AM
I think because he went for a bare-hand it was given a hit.

Yep, usually when a player tries bare handing a ball and drops it, it's ruled a hit.

TDog
09-01-2008, 12:55 PM
When a pitcher comes off the mound and mishandles it, they usually rule it a hit--especially when the ball is still spinning.

It would be pretty lame to give a no-hitter at this point. He pitched four more innings without the pressure of having a no-hitter going, so it's too late now.

These are my feelings. If this isn't the only hit in the game, there is no question it's a hit, a scratch hit. In little league it's an error, but in the major leagues it's a hit. That's the way it's been in the decades I've been watching baseball.

That wasn't as flagrant as the botched play by Jorge Orta with two out in the ninth that cost Ken Brett a no-hitter at the end of the 10-game winning streak in 1976. But that wouldn't count today anyway, because the game went 10 innings, and Bill Melton got a clean single in the 10th for the Angels. Some years later, the nine-inning no-hitters by pitchers who gave up hits in extra innings were purged from the list.

doublem23
09-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Exactly. Who wants a no-hitter when it's appealed?

I would. :shrug:

nccwsfan
09-03-2008, 09:40 AM
h

LITTLE NELL
09-03-2008, 07:39 PM
E-1

turners56
09-03-2008, 07:43 PM
They ruled it a hit. Lol nice try. The Brewers have been 0-3 since this appeal.