PDA

View Full Version : September Call Ups?

tm1119
08-31-2008, 05:02 PM
Any ideas who gonna be called up for the playoff push? Im guessing the obvious such as Fields, Owens, Broadway, Getz...Im guessing maybe a catcher as well just for the sake of having 3 to have a little more wiggle room for in game lineup changes. Am i missing anyone, or will there be any surprise call ups?

turners56
08-31-2008, 05:05 PM
Brad Eldred :D:

Chez
08-31-2008, 05:15 PM
Mark Gonzales of the Tribune speculated this week that the Sox might also recall Mike MacDougal.

whitesox901
08-31-2008, 05:21 PM
Mark Gonzales of the Tribune speculated this week that the Sox might also recall Mike MacDougal.

:puking:

anewman35
08-31-2008, 05:46 PM
Wasserman? Broadway? I don't think it hurts to have too many pitchers up, as long as Ozzie doesn't feel obligated to ever use them except in blowouts. Maybe Jerry Owens as a pinch runner?

delben91
08-31-2008, 05:52 PM
My guesses:

Broadway and Wassermann just for some extra arms.

Owens for pinch running duties and hopefully nothing more.

Getz as another utility infielder.

And Armstrong if he's on the 40 man roster to have a 3rd catcher available.

Brian26
08-31-2008, 05:59 PM
My guesses:

Broadway and Wassermann just for some extra arms.

Owens for pinch running duties and hopefully nothing more.

Getz as another utility infielder.

And Armstrong if he's on the 40 man roster to have a 3rd catcher available.

You pretty much nailed it, but I'd throw Fields name on there too.

GlassSox
08-31-2008, 06:19 PM

:puking:

Well illustrated, Ole McDoodle should stay on the farm:thud:

JermaineDye05
08-31-2008, 06:30 PM
The Sox will purchase the contracts of Gordon Beckham and Jordan Danks and call them up.

soxfanreggie
08-31-2008, 08:49 PM
Broadway, Wasserman, Getz, Owens, and Armstrong.

JB98
08-31-2008, 11:11 PM

This would be my list as well.

cws05champ
09-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Poreda, Beckham, Danks

Sockinchisox
09-01-2008, 12:49 PM
MacDougal, Wassermann, Owens, and Phillips have been called up.

turners56
09-01-2008, 12:51 PM
MacDougal, Wassermann, Owens, and Philips have been recalled.

Hmm, no Getz?

btrain929
09-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Hmm, no Getz?

Or Fields? Is Broadway already considered "up" or is he not backwith us?

Why Phillips and not Armstrong? My only guess would be because he's a lefty hitter.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Neither Getz, Owens, or Fields are in the lineup today for Charlotte. The game is already under way.

However, Oney Guillen is playing second base for Charlotte. He was promoted all the way from Kanny, where he batted .182.

hula
09-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Neither Getz, Owens, or Fields are in the lineup today for Charlotte. The game is already under way.

However, Oney Guillen is playing second base for Charlotte. He was promoted all the way from Kanny, where he batted .182.

Oy, Oney gets the star treatment, I guess! In case you didn't see my post in another thread:

I saw Logan pitch this weekend in Durham and he did a lousy job. This doesn't seem like a good move to me.

Also in the game last night, Armstrong, who is also mentioned in the article link as being called up, did such a poor job as catcher. He had two opportunities to tag out a guy sliding in from 3rd who missed the plate twice and he couldn't get it done! He looked like a little leaguer playing ball. It was embarrasing! :redface:

Hagan
09-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Obsessed much with Oney?>

No Cole Armstrong because he is scheduled to play in the Arizona Fall League.

delben91
09-01-2008, 01:44 PM
The tribune blog also says Linebrink was activated off the 15 day DL. Are any of the minor leagues still going for a rehab assignment?

Link (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/09/sox-call-up-was.html)

turners56
09-01-2008, 01:51 PM
The tribune blog also says Linebrink was activated off the 15 day DL. Are any of the minor leagues still going for a rehab assignment?

Link (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/09/sox-call-up-was.html)

I guess he pitched well in his simulated game.

I don't think he's going down to do rehab. The minor league season is almost over. He wouldn't get much of a rehab.

Since the rosters expand to 40 anyhow, it wouldn't hurt to have him on the roster even if he is still injured.

anewman35
09-01-2008, 01:56 PM
On the Charlotte roster page, Chris Getz's status is listed as "reserve". He's the only one on the page that's not "active" or "7-day DL" or "restricted". What does this mean, exactly? Maybe they're going to call him up after today's Charlotte game for some reason? And for Broadway, do they have to wait the 10 days or is that waived after September 1st?

DickAllen72
09-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Hmm, no Getz?
Maybe the Sox are going to sign Iguchi?

Someone on another board says that Getz being on the "reserved" list at Charlotte means he has already been called up but can't play until the ten day period is over.

turners56
09-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Maybe the Sox are going to sign Iguchi?

:redneck:(::scratch::o::whiner::?::scratch:

DickAllen72
09-01-2008, 02:33 PM
If nobody else wants to take him (Iguchi) for the rest of the year, why not do the guy a favor and let him stay in the MLB and sit on the Sox bench for the playoff push? Maybe good relations will pay off with future Japanese free agents whom Iguchi can put in a good word with.

turners56
09-01-2008, 02:36 PM
If nobody else wants to take him (Iguchi) for the rest of the year, why not do the guy a favor and let him stay in the MLB and sit on the Sox bench for the playoff push? Maybe good relations will pay off with future Japanese free agents whom Iguchi can put in a good word with.

It doesn't hurt to get him, but it's just kind of pointless. We have enough middle infielders as is.

DickAllen72
09-01-2008, 02:41 PM
It doesn't hurt to get him, but it's just kind of pointless. We have enough middle infielders as is.
If the guy can't find a better spot in MLB for the last month of the season, just do the guy a favor by keeping him in the Major Leagues. Reward the guy for his past contributions. What's it going to hurt? He may even come through with a big hit or something.

If it causes him to recommend the Sox to future Japanese FAs, even better.

A. Cavatica
09-01-2008, 02:56 PM
If the guy can't find a better spot in MLB for the last month of the season, just do the guy a favor by keeping him in the Major Leagues. Reward the guy for his past contributions. What's it going to hurt? He may even come through with a big hit or something.

We've already done MacDougal a favor by keeping him in the minor leagues...I would rather have seen him released than recalled.

Frater Perdurabo
09-01-2008, 03:33 PM
It's too late to sign anyone and have them on the playoff roster.

But the important thing is to win the division to make the playoffs.

With that in mind, I'd be rounding up whatever veterans I could find to augment the bench. I wouldn't give players like Iguchi and Mackowiak any starts, but I would use them in pinch hitting roles.

UofCSoxFan
09-01-2008, 04:21 PM

Iguchi has been awful this year. If 2005 is any indication Ozzie will only bring on people that will help the team (either by eating innings, pinch running, or perhaps even more significant playing time). When in a pennant race in 2005, Guillen said he wasn't just going to bring guys up for a reward....that having 40 guys on the team just because you can overcrowds the clubhouse and duggout and can be a distraction. By this same reason, there is no way we sign Iguchi as a favor. I'm not sure how much the "Japanese good will" argument holds either. The fact that we had Iguchi actually hurt our Fukudome negotiations and there have been enough Japanese players in the majors that I think most teams have had at least one.

UofCSoxFan
09-01-2008, 04:25 PM
I wouldn't give players like Iguchi and Mackowiak any starts, but I would use them in pinch hitting roles.

Iguchi is hitting .231 with an OPS under .600. Mackowiak is hitting .132 with an OPS of .462. I can't think of anyone I would pinch hit them for....and that may be including our pitching staff.

kittle42
09-01-2008, 05:06 PM
Note to posters: just because a guy once played for the Sox doesn't mean he's worth having on any roster for any reason. Iguchi? Mackowiak? Are you folks getting an early start on holiday cheer?

Adele_H
09-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Note to posters: just because a guy once played for the Sox doesn't mean he's worth having on any roster for any reason. Iguchi? Mackowiak? Are you folks getting an early start on holiday cheer?

I don't know/don't care about Makowiak.... But Iguchi has had a throw-away season marred by a major injury, playing on a soul-draining loser Padres team in a pitcher's park. He's been good as recently as 2007 pennant drive with the Phillies, so it's not like we're talking about bringing Randy Velarde back here.

Have you seen Gooch play this year to authoritatively claim that he indeed has nothing in the tank even as a bench player?

And pray tell, how mind-blowing were Geoff Blum's numbers with us in 2005? And yet he ended up contributing when needed most, wink-wink.

What is it about unproven Getz that inspires such confidence to turn down a cheap little-risk fundamentally sound player like Iguchiro, anyway?

Brian26
09-01-2008, 08:54 PM
Iguchi is hitting .231 with an OPS under .600. Mackowiak is hitting .132 with an OPS of .462. I can't think of anyone I would pinch hit them for....and that may be including our pitching staff.

I'd like to see the Sox sign Mackowiak and start him in CF for a day over BA just for old time's sake.

turners56
09-01-2008, 09:17 PM
I'd like to have Geoff Blum back. He's had a great year with Houston.

DickAllen72
09-01-2008, 09:23 PM
i'd like to see the sox sign mackowiak and start him in cf for a day over ba just for old time's sake.
:d:

Adele_H
09-01-2008, 10:57 PM
I'd like to see the Sox sign Mackowiak and start him in CF for a day over BA just for old time's sake.

And I'd like to see the Sox sign a razor blade and acquiant it with my wrists - for old time's sake. :angry: :)

Craig Grebeck
09-01-2008, 11:07 PM
I'd like to have Geoff Blum back. He's had a great year with Houston.
Yuck. He's been awful. Lots of power but absolutely nothing else.

Chez
09-02-2008, 08:48 AM

Many would argue that "lots of power but absolutely nothing else" is the perfect description of half our current line-up!

TDog
09-02-2008, 11:48 AM

I'm no Josh Fields fan, but he would give you more offensively and defensively than Fields. Not that there is any chance Blum is coming to the White Sox.

jabrch
09-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Many would argue that "lots of power but absolutely nothing else" is the perfect description of half our current line-up!

Which, just to refresh everyone's memory, has scored the 5th most runs in the AL with the 7th best betting average and the 8th best OBP.

So, while people will say that we have lots of power and nothing else, lots of people would be wrong. We do have lots of power. But we have 4 starters hitting .288 or higher and 4 with OBPs of .350 or higher.

Adele_H
09-02-2008, 02:41 PM
I'm no Josh Fields fan, but he would give you more offensively and defensively than Fields. Not that there is any chance Blum is coming to the White Sox.

No.Geoff.Blum.Ever!

Josh Fields will be used in a trade for Figgins.

Jason82807
09-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Broadway, Fields & Getz called up today