08-31-2008, 04:32 PM
gavin = stopper

Rockinsox05
08-31-2008, 04:32 PM
It's about time.

turners56
08-31-2008, 04:34 PM
Pedroia for MVP? Are they serious?

Let's not forget that most Red Sox fans are bandwagoners who don't know anything.

They're a bunch of noob baseball fans who think batting average is EVERYTHING.

cheezheadsoxfan
Great job by Gavin. :bandance:Go Oakland!!

Vienna

Our pitchers made him look pretty good. So, it was a nice talking point for the media.

turners56
As Ed Farmer always says..."That was not for the faint of heart". Bobby was really rusty.

We got all of our runs with 2 outs, very encouraging.

turners56
08-31-2008, 04:35 PM
Come on A's, you're already down 3-0?

Rockinsox05
08-31-2008, 04:38 PM
We probably can't expect anymore help from Oakland

turners56
08-31-2008, 04:39 PM
We probably can't expect anymore help from Oakland

But Greg Smith is pitching and he's halfway decent.

mccoydp
08-31-2008, 04:39 PM
Scary ninth, but a winner nonetheless.

The insurance run by Crede to knock in Alexei was welcome.

Pedroia: MVP. LOLZ.

:winner

MISoxfan
08-31-2008, 04:42 PM
Our pitchers made him look pretty good. So, it was a nice talking point for the media.

Oh, in that case lets just give it to Jack Cust. :D:

veeter
08-31-2008, 04:42 PM
Gavin is tough. Javy, you watching?

turners56
08-31-2008, 04:43 PM
Oh, in that case lets just give it to Jack Cust. :D:

Or Nick Punto or Jason Kubel for that matter...

Adele_H
08-31-2008, 04:47 PM
Floyd pitching like a mang. 15-6 now. Big ups.

Thomer, Kong, Crede, TCQ showed up.

Those dogging Alexei's baserunning... there isn't another Sox player, including Cabrera and Wise, who scores on that play in the 9th. There is more to baserunning than stealing bases, in other words.

Winning a game at Fenway that we could have easily lost (Crede's bases loaded stop, Kotsay smoking one off Dotel right at Quentin with no outs in the 7th, wind keeping that ball in the 9th, other close calls).................... partically makes up for losing that "game" in Baltimore Sox should have won.

Now let's just put the Tribe out of their misery and go from there. :bandance:

Woofer
08-31-2008, 04:48 PM
Bobby made me really nervous at the end, but this was a great overall game. Great outings by our pitchers today, and we had just enough offense to win. Lets take it to Cleveland.

Vienna
08-31-2008, 04:49 PM
Now let's just put the Tribe out of their misery and go from there. :bandance:

Amen!

Rockinsox05
08-31-2008, 04:51 PM
Twins already up 3-0. They go to Toronto and miss Halladay. We go to Cleveland and get Cliff Lee.

gobears1987
gavin = stopper
I was not happy with the acquisition as I really liked Garcia, but damn Kenny knows when to acquire/dump pitchers. He has a 6th sense or something.

esbrechtel
Huge win that the Sox really earned...how about a HUGE win against the tribe!

Adele_H
08-31-2008, 04:52 PM
Gavin is tough. Javy, you watching?

Floyd still needs to do a better job of pitching over mistakes and also finding his curve in earlier innings.... That said, he's definately acted as a stopper on more than one occasion this season. To think, some wanted him traded for Huston Street...

And as frustrating as Vazquez can be, he's been pitching well lately, including Friday at Fenway. I am really starting to believe it's better to start Vazquez over Mark Buerhle if the game is away from USCF.

turners56
08-31-2008, 04:53 PM
Twins already up 3-0. They go to Toronto and miss Halladay. We go to Cleveland and get Cliff Lee.

They get McGowan and Burnett though. It won't be easy for them.

Adele_H
08-31-2008, 04:57 PM
. They go to Toronto and miss Halladay. We go to Cleveland and get Cliff Lee.

Right now, Toronto can beat just about anybody at home.

Baseball is a funny game sometimes, it's said a lot because it's true.

*Ditka* Richard could outduel Cliff Lee, you gotta believe. *Ditka*

turners56
08-31-2008, 04:59 PM
Right now, Toronto can beat just about anybody at home.

Baseball is a funny game sometimes, it's said a lot because it's true.

*Ditka* Richard could outduel Cliff Lee, you gotta believe. *Ditka*

We did get a win with Lee starting this year though. If we played like we did today, which is capitalize on every opportunity we get, we have a chance. The Indians still don't have a very good bullpen. Even if Lee dominates us, if we get him out of there by the 6th, we have a good chance. That is, if Richard can keep us in the game.

Adele_H
08-31-2008, 05:04 PM
. That is, if Richard can keep us in the game.

If Richard doesn't forget to bring his mid-90s fastball, breaking ball, change-up and pin-point location, he can beat anybody.

If he is pitching in high-80s, can't get good sink on the ball, and has trouble getting off-speed stuff over in big situations... he'll get pounded like he did in Kansas City.

We'll see.

Rockinsox05
08-31-2008, 05:08 PM
Yeah, I hope you guys are right. Like you say Skydome isn't easy. I just find it good luck that they miss the ace. Hopefully we can get two of three minimum in Cleveland. They are hot right now though

turners56
08-31-2008, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I hope you guys are right. Like you say Skydome isn't easy. I just find it good luck that they miss the ace. Hopefully we can get two of three minimum in Cleveland. They are hot right now though

They got swept by Seattle. I don't know about that...

whitesox901
08-31-2008, 05:12 PM
heart attack 9th, but thats a TBS White Sox Winner!

Adele_H
08-31-2008, 05:20 PM

Cle also won like 10 in a row prior to the Seattle series.

They are playing all their top young players who have nothing to lose.

Maybe Sox need to do like 2005 team and break their hearts in 3 straight close games on their turf. :D:

Rockinsox05
08-31-2008, 05:23 PM

Maybe Sox need to do like 2005 team and break their hearts in 3 straight close games on their turf. :D:

That was awesome too.

btrain929
08-31-2008, 05:35 PM
Floyd still needs to do a better job of pitching over mistakes and also finding his curve in earlier innings.... That said, he's definately acted as a stopper on more than one occasion this season. To think, some wanted him traded for Huston Street...

And as frustrating as Vazquez can be, he's been pitching well lately, including Friday at Fenway. I am really starting to believe it's better to start Vazquez over Mark Buerhle if the game is away from USCF.

He was in trouble almost every inning and only gave up 1 run.....:scratch:

Adele_H
08-31-2008, 05:38 PM
He was in trouble almost every inning and only gave up 1 run.....:scratch:

He still leads the galaxy in unearned runs, although Buerhle is making his move.

Brian26
08-31-2008, 05:42 PM

He doesn't have the home run pop of TCQ, JD or Mourneau, but he's batting close to .400 for the past three months.

Brian26
08-31-2008, 05:43 PM
As Ed Farmer always says..."That was not for the faint of heart". Bobby was really rusty.

We got all of our runs with 2 outs, very encouraging.

Stone had an interesting stat about Bobby for his career. In three-run save opportunities, Jenks has now successfully converted 41-for-41.

Brian26
08-31-2008, 05:44 PM
Floyd pitching like a mang. 15-6 now. Big ups.

Scary part is that record could easily be 17-6 or 18-6. The Sox let a couple of Gavin games get away early in the season.

delben91
08-31-2008, 05:48 PM
Just delays the inevitable collapse, right guys?

MISoxfan
08-31-2008, 05:52 PM
He doesn't have the home run pop of TCQ, JD or Mourneau, but he's batting close to .400 for the past three months.

Around.360, thats the same as saying Crede is hitting close to .300 this year. Despite that his OBP is still barely above .400 for that period.

wassagstdu
08-31-2008, 05:55 PM
Let's not forget that most Red Sox fans are bandwagoners who don't know anything.

They're a bunch of noob baseball fans who think batting average is EVERYTHING.

I lived in Boston way back in the '60s and thought they had the most knowledgeable and dedicated fans. That was still true in the '80s. Now I think there are two sets of Red Sox fans, the old, solid, knowledgeable ones and the "Red Sox Nation" Cubs-type fans. I still think Boston is one of the three best baseball cities, the others being St.Louis and Cincinnati. Cincinnati may have fallen off the list in the Marge Schott era and its aftermath.

Rockinsox05
08-31-2008, 05:59 PM

They won a ton before that. Hopefully the hot streak is now over.

Adele_H
08-31-2008, 06:04 PM
Just delays the inevitable collapse, right guys?

Not really.

But it does precipitate the arrival of the paranoid, 'dark-cloud'-shrieking jock-worshippers who contribute precious litte to threads.

Or so I heard. Allegedly.

Scary part is that record could easily be 17-6 or 18-6. The Sox let a couple of Gavin games get away early in the season.

I'd say his record is just about what he "deserves". He learns to pitch over mistakes and he's a 20-game winner as early as next year.

Adele_H
08-31-2008, 06:19 PM
"Red Sox Nation" Cubs-type fans. .

aka the 'Red Cubs'

Cardinal fans are too creepy.
Besides, it's a scientific fact us White Sox fans are by far the most smart & loyalest in the land. :bandance:

Brian26
08-31-2008, 07:05 PM
Around.360, thats the same as saying Crede is hitting close to .300 this year.

I just crunched the numbers thanks to mlb.com. He's 115 for 319 since June 1, which is .361. I have no idea where Harrelson got .386 from on Friday night.

chisoxfanatic
08-31-2008, 07:20 PM
Gavin Floyd truly is our #1. Whenever he's faced with a big game, he delivers. That was one of the biggest wins of the season. We still have a chance of splitting or winning this road trip, which is awesome considering our woes on the road.

What a huge game by Thome! Establishing the early lead is exactly what was needed. What a huge extra run provided to us by the Cuban Missile. I think the outcome might've been considerably different had we not had that extra insurance run in the top of the 9th.

Bobby looked very rusty; but, he really hasn't had much playing time lately, and he got out of it. He won't look that bad tomorrow.

turners56
08-31-2008, 07:58 PM
Stone had an interesting stat about Bobby for his career. In three-run save opportunities, Jenks has now successfully converted 41-for-41.

Yeah, I heard that, too.

turners56
08-31-2008, 07:59 PM
They won a ton before that. Hopefully the hot streak is now over.

Yeah, but when you get swept by the worst team in the AL at your own park, it's most likely that the momentum from that 10-game winning streak is no longer there.

Konerko05
08-31-2008, 08:24 PM
Very nice performance by Floyd tonight. He has really grown up.

Jenks looked absolutely awful. What happened to his curveball?

KyWhiSoxFan
08-31-2008, 09:42 PM
Gavin did today what Javy and Buehrle could not do: Pitch well in a pressure game on the road. JV and MB need to get their act together and fast. Or the Sox are in trouble down the stretch.

Sufferin
08-31-2008, 10:03 PM
Anyone else wondering why we weren't holding runners on in the ninth? I know he was covering the hole ion the right said with the lefties up, but it's just plain stupid to give teams 3nd base like that. Perfect example was that ground ball to 2nd with 1 out. That could have been the game and we wouldn't have had to go through the Big Papi and Pedroia at bats. Bad strategy IMO. Of course we never even attempt to throw out base-stealers anyway. What are opposing runners against us 150 for 150? I honestly don't remember seeing our catchers throw out anyone this year. How about teaching the kids to hold someone on and get the ball to the plate?

Just askin...

JB98
08-31-2008, 10:33 PM
We need to get Jenks more work. He hadn't pitched since Tuesday, and he looked rusty. Let him pitch in some non-save situations, if need be.

Strong, battling performance by Floyd today. He's has been a huge surprise this year. I never dreamed he would win 15 for us this season.

WhiteSoxOnly
08-31-2008, 11:41 PM
Anyone else wondering why we weren't holding runners on in the ninth? I know he was covering the hole ion the right said with the lefties up, but it's just plain stupid to give teams 3nd base like that. Perfect example was that ground ball to 2nd with 1 out. That could have been the game and we wouldn't have had to go through the Big Papi and Pedroia at bats. Bad strategy IMO. Of course we never even attempt to throw out base-stealers anyway. What are opposing runners against us 150 for 150? I honestly don't remember seeing our catchers throw out anyone this year. How about teaching the kids to hold someone on and get the ball to the plate?

Just askin...

I think we did throw someone out back in June,but i can't confirm it.
Really Sufferin,we have to be the worst in all of MLB at holding runners
and throwing them out.Except for Buehrle,everyone else needs to go
back to baseball school to remember how this was done...good to see
you on this board and strap it down for the final month--Hawkkeydad
errrrrrrrrrrr WSO.

Adele_H
09-01-2008, 12:04 AM
Anyone else wondering why we weren't holding runners on

More great Ozziementals.

Sadly, I don't think Sox Jenks-Hall were gonna prevent Ellsbury or Crisp from taking 2nd anyway, so might as well concentrate on Pedroia as game's final out.

chisoxfanatic
09-01-2008, 12:20 AM
I think we did throw someone out back in June,but i can't confirm it.
Really Sufferin,we have to be the worst in all of MLB at holding runners
and throwing them out.Except for Buehrle,everyone else needs to go
back to baseball school to remember how this was done...good to see
you on this board and strap it down for the final month--Hawkkeydad
errrrrrrrrrrr WSO.
Danks is pretty quick to the mound too. In fact, sometimes Danks seems even quicker to the mound than Buehrle. AJ has about a 20% rate at throwing out base swipers, while Hall's been a bit better at about 25%. Both of those are pretty unacceptable; but, a great deal of the stolen bases seem to have come when Contreras, Floyd, or Vazquez are on the mound. It's hard to throw out a runner when they're already 3/4 of the way to the next base when the ball enters your glove. The pick-off's helped these guys too; but, I'd like to see them try more pick-off attempts.

ChiSoxGirl
09-01-2008, 12:29 AM
Danks is pretty quick to the mound too. In fact, sometimes Danks seems even quicker to the mound than Buehrle. AJ has about a 20% rate at throwing out base swipers, while Hall's been a bit better at about 25%. Both of those are pretty unacceptable; but, a great deal of the stolen bases seem to have come when Contreras, Floyd, or Vazquez are on the mound. It's hard to throw out a runner when they're already 3/4 of the way to the next base when the ball enters your glove. The pick-off's helped these guys too; but, I'd like to see them try more pick-off attempts.

I heard the other day when he pitched that he only goes nine seconds between pitches. So basically, he pitches like he's double parked on the freeway, and like he left the iron, microwave, stove, AND toaster on at home. :wink:

slavko
09-01-2008, 01:35 AM

We were assured of the wild card before that series, so there was zero pressure on us.

jcw218
09-01-2008, 03:13 AM
We were assured of the wild card before that series, so there was zero pressure on us.

Actually, the White Sox were assured of the division title before that series started. The Sox were 3 games up and if Cle took all 3 games, both teams finish at 96 and 66 make the playoffs. The White Sox had won the 1st tie-breaker against Cleveland by having the better head to head record.

Adele_H
09-01-2008, 03:17 AM

Ah, let's just sweep those jelly-bellied buffies by the lake anyway, pressure or no pressure.

cws05champ
09-01-2008, 08:39 AM
Yes, but unless this is the 1930's an MVP can not have 15HR and 68 RBI entering Sept. If his avg were close or above .400, maybe there's an argument. I was at Fri/Sat games and when they started the MVP chant I said... Are you bleeping serious?