PDA

View Full Version : If the Sox make the post season

JermaineDye05
08-31-2008, 02:55 PM
I realize there's still a month left, but if the sox made it and looking at the starters right now, how would you set up their rotation? Would you go with the veterans first, or our most reliable starters who happen to be Gavin and John. I'm assuming Ozzie will pitch Mark first, even though he's had a subpar year. Here are a couple possibilities.

1) Mark
2) Javy
3) Danks
4) Floyd

considering Javy have been pretty inconsistent though it's seems like a gamble to have them pitching back-to-back in the post season.

1) Floyd
2) Danks
3) Javy
4) Mark

Gavin and John have been our most consistant starters, however they are both fairly young so it also seems like quite a gamble to have your 2 young hurlers start off the post season pitching back to back.

If the Sox make it to the post season, what would your ideal Sox rotation look like?

thomas35forever
08-31-2008, 03:25 PM
I might save the veterans for when the series is on the line, but my rotation might look someting like this:

1) Buehrle
2) Danks
3) Floyd
4) Vazquez

LITTLE NELL
08-31-2008, 03:31 PM
Still probably have to open with MB because he has the experience, followed by Floyd, Danks and Javy in that order. It bothers me that MB sometimes looks like he pitching batting practice like last night. I cant remember him having games like this were he isnt able to get anyone out. I do remember him getting lit up in 06 at Wrigley when we were going for the sweep and we were never the same team after that game.

DSpivack
08-31-2008, 03:47 PM
Still probably have to open with MB because he has the experience, followed by Floyd, Danks and Javy in that order. It bothers me that MB sometimes looks like he pitching batting practice like last night. I cant remember him having games like this were he isnt able to get anyone out. I do remember him getting lit up in 06 at Wrigley when we were going for the sweep and we were never the same team after that game.

Do you not remember the 1st half of 2003?

twentywontowin
08-31-2008, 03:49 PM
We should have gotten Freddy Garcia for the road games.

Daver
08-31-2008, 03:55 PM
We should have gotten Freddy Garcia for the road games.

Yeah, because he's pitching so well right now.

twentywontowin
08-31-2008, 03:59 PM

I thought teal was implied on that one.

cards press box
08-31-2008, 04:09 PM
Too early to tell at this point. If the Sox make the post-season, who are they going to play and who will have the home field advantage? Will the Sox have time to arrange their rotation or will they be in a fight with the Twins down to the last series of the season? What are the matchups with the potential teams that the Sox might face? Buerhle and Floyd have been great at home and Danks has pitched well on the road. Floyd has been great in day games.

There are just too many variables to consider before figuring out the Sox post-season rotation. Another question: how many pitchers would the Sox have on a post-season roster and what would the bench look like?

turners56
08-31-2008, 04:42 PM
I wish Contreras wasn't injured. I'd start him in game 1. Jose's a postseason warrior. I would probably start Buehrle in game one and pray he's on and not the bad Mark Buehrle. Then I'd go with Danks #2, Floyd #3, and if we're on the verge of elimination, I'd throw Buehrle again. I don't want Javy pitching in big-time situations.

doublem23
08-31-2008, 05:30 PM

I think that was a joke.

WSox597
08-31-2008, 06:34 PM
I wish Contreras wasn't injured. I'd start him in game 1. Jose's a postseason warrior. I would probably start Buehrle in game one and pray he's on and not the bad Mark Buehrle. Then I'd go with Danks #2, Floyd #3, and if we're on the verge of elimination, I'd throw Buehrle again. I don't want Javy pitching in big-time situations.

I have to agree with this, for reasons covered in far too much detail on this board.

sox1970
08-31-2008, 06:41 PM

Based on the tentative AL Playoff schedule, they would only need 3 starters in the first round, without pitching anyone on short rest. Assuming the Sox go to Tampa Bay, I'd pitch Floyd, Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Buehrle.

WhiteSox5187
08-31-2008, 06:53 PM
If the Sox make the playoffs and that is a big if at this point, Floyd is my number one starter...I don't know why people think Ozzie wouldn't hesistate to do that, he started Contreras in game one in every season for '05 and Jose had ZERO playoff experience.

turners56
08-31-2008, 06:59 PM
If the Sox make the playoffs and that is a big if at this point, Floyd is my number one starter...I don't know why people think Ozzie wouldn't hesistate to do that, he started Contreras in game one in every season for '05 and Jose had ZERO playoff experience.

Basically, you play the hot hand...

If Javy's lights out in September, you might as well start him in game 1. The same goes for every other starter we have.

Paulwny
08-31-2008, 07:10 PM

He didn't start however, with the Yanks 2003
ALCS--4.2 innings
WS-- 6.1 innings

Brian26
08-31-2008, 07:11 PM

Contreras pitched in the 2003 postseason with the Yankees.

ChiSox89
08-31-2008, 07:16 PM
My rotation would be:

1)Buerhle
2)Floyd
3)Danks
4)Vazquez

ChiSoxFan7
08-31-2008, 07:21 PM
MB
FLOyd
Danks
Vasquez

The only problem is the whole MB and Javy back to back thing.

but at the same time i think they both are experience enough that they can't have back to back bad starts so i guess that's my rotation....with a ever present and faithful praying taking place.

chisoxfanatic
08-31-2008, 07:24 PM
IMHO, Floyd is your best option for a "big game" pitcher right now. I'd go with

1. Floyd
2. Danks
3. Buehrle
4. Vazquez

*Carasco if any of the four gets injured, moving up the rest of the rotation, he becomes your #4.

Brian26
08-31-2008, 07:26 PM
No way has Vazquez shown the gonads to pitch higher than 4th in a playoff series. I don't care how good his "stuff" is.

chisoxfanatic
08-31-2008, 07:31 PM
No way has Vazquez shown the gonads to pitch higher than 4th in a playoff series. I don't care how good his "stuff" is.
I'd actually be hesitant to even put him there; but, I put him at the #4 on my list. I'm curious as to how many times in MLB history a team has gone with a 3-man rotation in the playoffs. I think, with the day off between games 2 and 3, if you don't pitch Floyd, Danks, or Buehrle in the last game of the regular season, that would actually be feasible in at least the ALDS. We truly do need to see as little of Javy as possible.

TDog
08-31-2008, 10:50 PM
... I don't want Javy pitching in big-time situations.

I don't think Vazquez has pitched any worse in big game situations than the rest of the starters. Danks and Floyd don't have a lot of experience, not just with postseason pressure, but with pitching so deep into the season. Floyd was impressive today, but Danks hasn't been impressive lately.

The rotation could be determined by the matchups, as well as who is pitching the best at the end of the regular season.

voodoochile
08-31-2008, 11:01 PM
Burly
Vazquez
Floyd
Danks

You still put the veterans at the top of the order, period.

sox1970
08-31-2008, 11:03 PM
Burly
Vazquez
Floyd
Danks

You still put the veterans at the top of the order, period.

Like in 1993 when they used McDowell and Fernandez at the top instead of Alvarez and Bere, who both dominated in September?

JB98
08-31-2008, 11:06 PM
1. Buehrle
2. Floyd
3. Danks
4. Vazquez

WhiteSox5187
09-01-2008, 01:52 AM
Contreras pitched in the 2003 postseason with the Yankees.
I completely forgot he was with the Yankees!! For some strange reason I thought we got him right away, d'oh!

But again, it sort of proves my point, Conteras was the hottest hand at the time and Ozzie played him. If was going to give it to the guy with the most playoff experience it would have been El Duque.

cws05champ
09-01-2008, 09:03 AM
I think it depends on if we have home field. Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, Javy if we have HF. If we don't: Danks, Floyd, Buehrle, Javy.

Buehrle has a 5.34 road ERA...I don't want him game 1 on the road. Danks is 2.87 on the road.

Brian26
09-01-2008, 09:28 AM
I completely forgot he was with the Yankees!! For some strange reason I thought we got him right away, d'oh!

But again, it sort of proves my point, Conteras was the hottest hand at the time and Ozzie played him. If was going to give it to the guy with the most playoff experience it would have been El Duque.

I'm not sure what your point is. El Duque almost didn't make the playoff roster. He was sharing 5th starter duties with McCarthy. It would have been insane to use him as the #1 starter in the playoffs.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-01-2008, 09:42 AM
I think it depends on if we have home field. Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, Javy if we have HF. If we don't: Danks, Floyd, Buehrle, Javy.

Buehrle has a 5.34 road ERA...I don't want him game 1 on the road. Danks is 2.87 on the road.

I don't see any scenarios where the Sox aren't on the road to start the playoffs, unless they go on some huge winning streak to get the best record.

That said, whether it is home or away, I would make the rotation Floyd, Danks, Buehrle, Vazquez.