PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Comfort Level

Madvora
08-31-2008, 10:20 AM
What's the most comfortable you've been in a Sox season?

This year is one of the most uncomfortable I can remember. They never get to the point where I'm actually convinced they are a good team.
Even though we were in first place from day one until the end of 2005, I was never really comfortable. The first half was pretty nice, but I was still bothered by losses and wanted them to keep it up. The second half definitely made me nervous.

The only time I ever remember feeling really comfortable was during the 2000 season. That was a time where individual losses didn't bother me at all because I knew they would come back with an 8 game win steak. They kicked so much ass that year and opened up 11 game leads on the second place team in the middle of the season.

Madvora
08-31-2008, 10:22 AM
Now that I look back through baseballrace.com, I totally forgot how huge our lead was in 2005. We were up 15 game on August 1st!

balke
08-31-2008, 10:24 AM
I have no doubt they are a good team. I just think they haven't won the outer division games that matter. The big series against tough teams have made the Sox look bad. Come playoffs, none of that really matters though, and I expect to see the Sox in the playoffs.

Red Barchetta
08-31-2008, 11:08 AM
This year's team is very streaky. I'm hoping there is one more good run in them during September, however I fully expect this season to come down to the last week with the series in Minnesota being very important.

I was hoping the SOX could take care of business in Boston at least from a Wild Card perspective as the SOX, Twins and Red Sox are likely battling for the last two playoff spots.

It seems as though the 2005 team, even when they lost, were in the game. The 2008 teams seems to not show up at times.

WhiteSox5187
08-31-2008, 11:30 AM
Now that I look back through baseballrace.com, I totally forgot how huge our lead was in 2005. We were up 15 game on August 1st!
I felt pretty comfortable around then.

Optipessimism
08-31-2008, 11:33 AM
This is the most comfortable I've ever been with a Sox team in contention. I never expected this group to finish higher than third place, and it is easy to see the giant flaws in this team from weak OF defense to a shaky front of the bullpen to a lineup without any balance in it. Whatever the Sox do beyond finishing in second is a bonus for me.

It's that, plus it's the fact that the Twins aren't very good this year. The 2003, 2004, 2006, or 2007 Twins would have left us in the dust by now, but they keep blowing chances left and right just like we do. One of these teams seem primed to back into the playoffs, and neither team is all that great, so it's not that worrisome. This isn't a year where I'd bet on an AL Central team getting into the WS, but of course anything can happen.

I think the WS title goes to the Angels or Rays this year. They're the best teams in baseball.

Madvora
08-31-2008, 11:41 AM
This is the most comfortable I've ever been with a Sox team in contention. I never expected this group to finish higher than third place, and it is easy to see the giant flaws in this team from weak OF defense to a shaky front of the bullpen to a lineup without any balance in it. Whatever the Sox do beyond finishing in second is a bonus for me.

It's that, plus it's the fact that the Twins aren't very good this year. The 2003, 2004, 2006, or 2007 Twins would have left us in the dust by now, but they keep blowing chances left and right just like we do. One of these teams seem primed to back into the playoffs, and neither team is all that great, so it's not that worrisome. This isn't a year where I'd bet on an AL Central team getting into the WS, but of course anything can happen.

I think the WS title goes to the Angels or Rays this year. They're the best teams in baseball.
I think the new additions to this team make our future look a lot brighter than we thought it would. Ramirez, Quentin, Floyd and Danks should be the center of a strong team for a few years in the future. Cut off some dead weight and make a few changes and we'll be looking pretty good.

LITTLE NELL
08-31-2008, 11:44 AM
The 2nd half of the 83 season was very comfortable, I think we played .700 ball in the 2nd half and won the west by 20 games.
Just checked baseball reference .com it was .694 in the 2nd half.

Optipessimism
08-31-2008, 12:25 PM
I think the new additions to this team make our future look a lot brighter than we thought it would. Ramirez, Quentin, Floyd and Danks should be the center of a strong team for a few years in the future. Cut off some dead weight and make a few changes and we'll be looking pretty good.
Agree. Instead of looking like an old team with a few young spare parts, we'll be looking at a young team core with older supporting pieces.

Danks, Quentin, Ramirez, Floyd, Jenks, Buehrle (turns 30 next year) and Swisher all give us a nice young group to build around, with Dye, Konerko, Linebrink, and Thornton (if they stay) still in their primes for the next couple of years at least. I also expect Kenny to add another arm to the rotation over the offseason, hopefully another young arm to be worked in like Danks and Floyd were.

Region Rat
08-31-2008, 01:32 PM
I have not been comfortable at all this season. When they have been able to get a 2-3 game lead I back up from the ledge, but not by very much.

Madvora
08-31-2008, 01:47 PM
I have not been comfortable at all this season. When they have been able to get a 2-3 game lead I back up from the ledge, but not by very much.
Since the Twins have caught up to us I'm thinking doom and gloom every time we are trailing in a game. My pessimism has run rampant.

chaotic8512
08-31-2008, 01:55 PM
I didn't have the privilege of seeing the teams from the 80's, so my experience is limited in this regard, but this has been, by far, the most uncomfortable season I've ever experienced. 2000 was relatively comfortable, of course, as there was no major regular season collapse. 2005 had me deathly worried in September, but the Cleveland series (you know the one!) turned that around for me for good.

But every time I watch this season, since about late June, my stomach is churning.

LITTLE NELL
08-31-2008, 02:23 PM
I didn't have the privilege of seeing the teams from the 80's, so my experience is limited in this regard, but this has been, by far, the most uncomfortable season I've ever experienced. 2000 was relatively comfortable, of course, as there was no major regular season collapse. 2005 had me deathly worried in September, but the Cleveland series (you know the one!) turned that around for me for good.

But every time I watch this season, since about late June, my stomach is churning.
You and me both, not even when we had a 6 game lead.

kittle42
08-31-2008, 02:53 PM
We're Sox fans. We're never comfortable.

doublem23
08-31-2008, 04:31 PM
We're Sox fans. We're never comfortable.

I felt pretty comfortable after Blum's homer in Game 3.

eastchicagosoxfan
08-31-2008, 04:36 PM
The 2nd half of the 83 season was very comfortable, I think we played .700 ball in the 2nd half and won the west by 20 games.
Just checked baseball reference .com it was .694 in the 2nd half.
Yea. The 1983 season was pretty relaxing all through September. I first learned of the "Magic Number" back then. Hawk started his' You can put it on the board" catch phrase that year. That team won 100 games all told. I still think if they had won 101, they would have won 105. They were better than the 2000 White Sox.

MISoxfan
08-31-2008, 05:16 PM

I don't think you meant that :redneck

kevingrt
08-31-2008, 05:20 PM
Last year I was comfortable. I barely even watched the team in August and September because they were so dreadful. Football was on and that satisfied me because the team was so bad. So I was fairly comfortable. 2000 I felt pretty comfortable. Like someone said earlier in this thread individual losses didn't hurt that much. 2005 in August was nice but Cleveland made it a bit too close in September. That is until Joe Crede hit that bomb at the Cell vs the Injuns. Still a little too close down the stretch.

Tragg
08-31-2008, 05:44 PM
I was quite comfortable in 2007....comfort's overrated.
The most nervous I ever felt was the last 2 weeks of September 2005. What we faced in the ALCS or WS was nothing like those 2 weeks. When t he team handled that, they could handle anything.

Madvora
08-31-2008, 10:47 PM
Last year I was comfortable. I barely even watched the team in August and September because they were so dreadful. Football was on and that satisfied me because the team was so bad. So I was fairly comfortable. 2000 I felt pretty comfortable. Like someone said earlier in this thread individual losses didn't hurt that much. 2005 in August was nice but Cleveland made it a bit too close in September. That is until Joe Crede hit that bomb at the Cell vs the Injuns. Still a little too close down the stretch.
I was so uncomfortable at that time I couldn't even watch that game. I missed that one.

jabrch
08-31-2008, 10:54 PM
I'm comfortable we will be in this race all the way until the end...Not sure we will win or not...but I know we will be close.

chisoxfanatic
08-31-2008, 10:59 PM
The most comfortable I've ever been was after the final out was recorded in the 2005 World Series.