PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Pitcher We Haven't Seen Hex* 8/30/08 Postgame Thread

chisoxfanatic
08-30-2008, 09:49 PM
Well, that sucked. Fortunately, we have Gavin Floyd taking the mound tomorrow.

kidmccarthy
08-30-2008, 09:51 PM
Well two words describe tonight and last night: Dong Whipped.

Get em tomorrow, hopefully to still be in 1st.

soxfanatlanta
08-30-2008, 09:51 PM
Title of the thread says it all. Big heaping pile of **** tonight.

Cuck the Fubs
08-30-2008, 09:53 PM
Here come the dark clouds!:rolleyes:

soltrain21
08-30-2008, 09:53 PM
Act like you are playing for something, fellas; because you are.

sox1970
08-30-2008, 09:55 PM
Kannapolis is a more entertaining team at this point...Beckham and Danks both homered tonight.

Seriously, the Sox look like they're on the verge of folding up the tent. I hope I'm wrong, but they've not played good baseball this week except for Richard and Floyd's starts in Baltimore.

And again...Mark Buehrle showing why he's not a true ace.

Soxman219
08-30-2008, 09:57 PM
Embrassing game tonight man. It's annoying that whenever we have a chance to expand the AL Central lead, we start losing.

What else can I say? Get them tomorrow.

MetroPD
08-30-2008, 09:58 PM
A double A pitcher? I'm starting to think we're a little over rated.

Konerko05
08-30-2008, 09:58 PM
We must be trying to lose. That is the only explanation of how bad they have played the last 3 games.

ndgt10
08-30-2008, 10:05 PM
This team is just regressing to the mean. They are just not as good as they have played this year. TB, LAA, BOS are light years better than the Sox and Twins.

Whitesoxfan23
08-30-2008, 10:05 PM
LOL@ calling people darkclouds. Have you been asleep?

Adele_H
08-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Lately things been happening that simply cannot happen:.

Among them:

-The 15 Mill a year team ace with flat, spineless performaces seemingly every other big game, especially on the road.

-An awful rookie pitcher (only Gio was worse, IMO) repeatedly jamming Sox hitters with straight-as-arrow fastballs down broadway.

-More bad fundamentals, including unwilliness to hit situationally with RISP..... Dye's horredenous jump/route to the ball that blew the game wide open........more AJ's baserunning adventures..... some head-scratching pitch selection to Kotsay & Pedroia.

This was a Boston team without Beckett, Manny, Drew, Lowell, Youklis and, for all intents and purposes, without David Ortiz's best So to be manhandled like this is unacceptable.

positives:

-Cabrera's defense
-Junior, Crede and Alexei could have each had 3 hits with more luck
-Carasco, Thornton, Dotel pitching with some confidence.

Anyway. It's darkest before dawn and all that. I demand a Sox win tommrrow. Seriously.

EuroSox35
08-30-2008, 10:07 PM
What a terrible approach by most of the offense, just embarrassing. Walker ball strikes again. Not that it really matters anyway since we get average Buehrle again. Meanwhile, Ozzie keeps me shaking my head. Without looking at any stats I remember Konerko being miserable against knuckleballers. If he gets us anything tomorrow, I'd be pleasantly surprised but I would've been much happier to see him playing tonight instead

chisoxfanatic
08-30-2008, 10:09 PM
What a terrible approach by most of the offense, just embarrassing. Walker ball strikes again. Not that it really matters anyway since we get average Buehrle again. Meanwhile, Ozzie keeps me shaking my head. Without looking at any stats I remember Konerko being miserable against knuckleballers. If he gets us anything tomorrow, I'd be pleasantly surprised but I would've been much happier to see him playing tonight instead
Tomorrow, I'd start BA in CF and keep Swisher at 1B.

southsideirish71
08-30-2008, 10:11 PM
One thing that our scouts should be telling our hitters, on 3-1 they are getting a change. This has happened all year long. We get 3-1 and we geek up for fastball and flail through it. Then we get fed a steady diet of changes for the rest of the AB. Our announcers on radio and TV are both predicting the pitch, yet our hitters seem unaware that its coming.

Konerko05
08-30-2008, 10:11 PM
Our 3-4-5 hitters better get their **** together. Lazy fly balls with men on base are not acceptable. That pitcher today looked extremetly hittable. Our hitters were getting themselves out.

southsideirish71
08-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Our 3-4-5 hitters better get their **** together. Lazy fly balls with men on base are not acceptable. That pitcher today looked extremetly hittable. Our hitters were getting themselves out.

Well if our 3-4-5 hitters were trying to have productive ABs we would have better results. The traditional MO for a whitesox hitter post ASB when presented with adversity is to swing as hard as possible. Get me on base, swing harder. We have seen this song and dance before. Other teams teach their hitters to pick counts to drive, and when presented with 2 strikes think oppo and up the middle. We swing as hard on the first pitch as we do when down 2 strikes.

white sox bill
08-30-2008, 10:18 PM
We just don't have that MoJo this yr like in '05. I hope we can heat up and fast. We are clearly not the fav. or anywhere near the favorite to win the AL Pennant. Under the radar again, but his time with reason

Konerko05
08-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Well if our 3-4-5 hitters were trying to have productive ABs we would have better results. The traditional MO for a whitesox hitter post ASB when presented with adversity is to swing as hard as possible. Get me on base, swing harder. We have seen this song and dance before. Other teams teach their hitters to pick counts to drive, and when presented with 2 strikes think oppo and up the middle. We swing as hard on the first pitch as we do when down 2 strikes.

That's what I'm saying. At the very least, move the runner over. Swinging at the first pitch and hitting lazy fly balls is an awful approach.

JB98
08-30-2008, 10:20 PM
The White Sox have not been competitive in this series. I'm very disappointed. I expected better, especially given how short-handed the Red Sox are right now.

Both Buehrle and Bowden were extremely hittable tonight. The Red Sox hit Buehrle. For some reason, the White Sox could not get to Bowden. That's ridiculous because Bowden has nothing offspeed whatsoever. He got through five innings throwing nothing much other than a fastball. Entirely unacceptable.

Adele_H
08-30-2008, 10:22 PM
One thing that our scouts should be telling our hitters, on 3-1 they are getting a change. This has happened all year long. We get 3-1 and we geek up for fastball and flail through it. Then we get fed a steady diet of changes for the rest of the AB. Our announcers on radio and TV are both predicting the pitch, yet our hitters seem unaware that its coming.

It's not a matter of Sox hitters being unaware of what the (better) pitchers are trying to do to them. They are not stupid.

It's a matter of Sox hitters not willing to make the necessary adjustments to be able to cover that change-up - at the expense of a potential towering majestic HR to LF off of a get-me-over fastball they're hoping against hope to get.

I don't mind Thome, AJ and Swisher "sitting" on a fastball in a fastball situation. I do mind them not being able to do anything with said fastballs when they do get them in the desired location.

That's been the bigger problem against the better pitchers, IMO.

ms620
08-30-2008, 10:22 PM
This is the 8th game in which Mark has given up 5 or more earned runs. This was his 28th start. That means that in over a quarter of his starts, he has given up 5 or more earned runs. This is also the 6th game in which MB has given up 10 or more hits. He is also had 12 starts in which he gave up 1 or 0 earned runs. Its the same old story with Mark; good pitcher, very inconsistent, and when he does not have it, he cannot keep his team in the game. He is what he is, which is a #3 starter. I guess with lower expectations he would not be as frustrating.

ms620
08-30-2008, 10:24 PM
While the hitters approach may be poor, and they have not hit anything all series, having your starter give up 5 in the first 2 will not help. We need gavin to pitch well tomorrow, and hopefully the bats will wake up.

Adele_H
08-30-2008, 10:31 PM
If Ozzie was any kind of instinctive manager, tommorrow's game would feature:

-Anderson in CF
-Junior at DH
-Konerko at 1B
-Alexei in either #1 or #2 spot.

ms620
08-30-2008, 10:33 PM
If Ozzie was any kind of instinctive manager, tommorrow's game would feature:

-Anderson in CF
-Junior at DH
-Konerko at 1B
-Alexei in either #1 or #2 spot.

Anderson should not be in the lineup tomorrow.

Konerko05
08-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Anderson should not be in the lineup tomorrow.

I wouldn't mind Anderson in the outfield tomorrow. Fenway has a huge centerfield area. Not to mention, our lineup could use a little shake-up.

Whitesoxfan23
08-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Whoever the XM Redsox radio announcers are, said that Griffey has no business playing CF. It seems that everybody knows that, except Ozzie. Have him DH sure, maybe even LF or RF, but CF? What a ******* joke. What the hell?

ms620
08-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Whoever the XM Redsox radio announcers are, said that Griffey has no business playing CF. It seems that everybody knows that, except Ozzie. Have him DH sure, maybe even LF or RF, but CF? What a ******* joke. What the hell?

Griffey playing CF will not decide the White Sox fate this year. He has been sub par, but not that was expected. People liek to repeat the obvious. Clearly there is a reason why Ozzie and Kenny want to use JR or Swish in CF.

southsideirish71
08-30-2008, 10:43 PM

Kotsay would look a lot better patrolling CF over Griffey. However one of Kenny's fatal flaws is, he gets his man. Sometimes years too late.

Whitesoxfan23
08-30-2008, 10:45 PM
It probably won't. It still is a problem, but honestly the Sox right now have far bigger problems than Griffey in CF right now.

ms620
08-30-2008, 10:48 PM
One main problem is Mark's ERA in August was almost 6. We need him to step it up in September. He has to give the Sox a chance to win when he takes the mound.

Whitesoxfan23
Not many posting tonight. I guess everybody is depressed. I sure am.

Adele_H

Griffey made a good catch today and had little to do with the loss.

How about trying to muster enough courage to rip the real culprit of the game - the tarpsliding', Minnesota Twink-overpraisin' Mark Buerlhe.... for a change?

SoxandtheCityTee
08-30-2008, 10:49 PM
Well.

My reasonable hope for 78-58 at the end of August is no longer achievable, but I do insist on a win tomorrow.

I think the Sox are going to need a bit better than a .500 September. And I wish the AL East would cool off a bit so that the Wild Card is in play for a team from the Central.

Whitesoxfan23
08-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Oh, I'm not blaming Griffey for this loss. Mark absolutely sucked today. The offense blew too, but Mark didn't give them much of a chance.

cnw8052
08-30-2008, 10:53 PM
To say the very least, the last two games have NOT been very much fun to watch.

ms620
Griffey made a good catch today and had little to do with the loss.

How about trying to muster enough courage to rip the real culprit of the game - the tarpsliding', Minnesota Twink-overpraisin' Mark Buerlhe.... for a change?

Absolutely agree. I think one issue is we view MB as an ace, when in reality he is not. He is not going to win every start, but too often does he not even give the sox a chance. Take a look at Ted Lilly. Not saying Lilly is better than MB, but only 3 times this season has he given up 5 earned runs. He has not given up more than 5 in any game. He defiantely has not had as many great performances this season as Mark, but he has done a better job of giving the Cubs a chance to win almost every time he takes the mound.

StillMissOzzie
I have mixed emotions about this game, as you all might expect.
I am SO proud of my nephew's MLB debut. At times he looked hittable, at other times he looked pretty damn awesome. To you mopes he said he was a one-pitch pitcher...were you and I watching the same game? In addition to an effective, if not overpowering fastball, he had a pretty decent looking overhand curve, and for a work in progress, his change-up had some of our Sox baffled.

Buehrle, on the other hand, looked pretty bad. Again, he seemed to get WAY too many pitches up around the belt, and they were all being hit pretty hard. After giving up 5 runs on 8 hits, all hard hit and many of for extra bases, in the first two innings, he settled down for a bit, but the offense never got that clutch 2-out hit and again, our guys left too many on base.

Go A's, and let's salvage one tomorrow!

SMO
:D::angry::wink::whiner:

chisoxfanatic
08-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Well.

My reasonable hope for 78-58 at the end of August is no longer achievable, but I do insist on a win tomorrow.

I think the Sox are going to need a bit better than a .500 September. And I wish the AL East would cool off a bit so that the Wild Card is in play for a team from the Central.
The Red Sox DO have six more games left with Tampa, including three at the Trop, where they are currently 0-6 for the season. That should help the Wild Card race out a little.

Whitesoxfan23
08-30-2008, 10:56 PM
No offense, but I don't think anyone here wants to hear you rant and rave about how you were "right" about your nephew right now.

Adele_H
08-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Incidentally, this is why losing that resumed gimme "home game" against Baltimore was hard to take. A game in which Sox blew so many chances against bad pitchers, hit the ball right-at-'em..... and ended up losing because of poor fundamentals/questionable managerial decision by Ozzie.

So the Sox ended up going into Boston with no momentum and now have to "make up" that Baltimore loss against Boston instead, in a way.

ms620
08-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Incidentally, this is why losing that resumed gimme game "home game" against Baltimore was hard to take. Sox blew so many chanes, hit the ball right-at-'em.,.... and ended up losing because of poor fundamentals/questionable managerial decision by Ozzie.

So the Sox ended up going into Boston with no momentum and now have to "make up" that Baltimore loss against Boston instead, in a way.

So you are telling me that losing the suspended game caused them to arrive in Boston with no momentum???

HangWiffum
08-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Momentum is overrated. Solid pitching, solid defense and timely hitting are not. That is the reason it will be extremely tough to beat out the twins.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-30-2008, 11:07 PM
It's crunch time and the veterans have to step up. Vazquez and Buehrle have not done so. If they continue pitching like this, the Sox cannot win the division.

It is hard to believe that the Sox are leading the AL Central and neither Vazquez (10-12) or Buerhle (11-11) have winning records on August 30. And that for a team that is 17 games over .500. That is really pitiful.

Whitesoxfan23
08-30-2008, 11:09 PM
If the A's don't take the lead in the next 2 innings, then the Sox will be back in 2nd place.

It's Time
08-30-2008, 11:22 PM
If the A's don't take the lead in the next 2 innings, then the Sox will be back in 2nd place.

And the Twins will be 10 games into that monster trip and they'll still be in 1st with just 4 games left on that trip.. That's the thing that gets me, I thought the Sox would be sitting about 4 up after the Twinkies trip.

sox1970
08-30-2008, 11:24 PM
It's crunch time and the veterans have to step up. Vazquez and Buehrle have not done so. If they continue pitching like this, the Sox cannot win the division.

It is hard to believe that the Sox are leading the AL Central and neither Vazquez (10-12) or Buerhle (11-11) have winning records on August 30. And that for a team that is 17 games over .500. That is really pitiful.

The Sox are:
28-27 when Buehrle and Vazquez start.
33-20 when Floyd and Danks start.
15-12 when anyone else starts.

May have a new 1-2 next year.

Whitesoxfan23
08-30-2008, 11:25 PM
^As did I.

LoveYourSuit
08-30-2008, 11:26 PM
Cedar Point was a great spot to spend my Saturday night away from baseball, I still followed the Sox score on my blackberry in long ride lines, but it hurt so much less this way.

My new solution the rest of the season might just be to follow on my phone rather to invest viewing hours for this pile of crap showing no signs of caring right now. They don't care, then I am not going to care either.

I will be at the Jake Monday, will not be gun going in there after getting swept this weekend if it happens. TOMORROW IS A DAMN MUST WIN.

I didn't read stupid theories on this thread tonight, "win two of three every series and we will be fine." O wait, we have no chance to acheive this feat in Boston? Don't worry, we will restart the countdown of winning series with the Indian Series coming up.

Those two games in Baltimore are really hurting us now.

Whitesoxfan23
08-30-2008, 11:27 PM
Yeah, I'm really trying to not get my hopes up about the playoffs anymore, incase it doesn't happen. As of a week ago, I thought the Sox had a 90% chance. Not very sure now.

sox1970
08-30-2008, 11:28 PM
And the Twins will be 10 games into that monster trip and they'll still be in 1st with juat 4 games left on that trip.. That's the thing that gets me, I thought the Sox would be sitting about 4 up after the Twinkies trip.

The thing is, the Sox are on a 10 game trip at the same time, and they lost a series with Tampa at home while the Twins split with Anaheim.

There is no scheduling advantage for the Sox anymore. That's out the window. The Twins have a huge scheduling advantage the rest of the way. No question about it.

LoveYourSuit
08-30-2008, 11:29 PM
The Sox are:
28-27 when Buehrle and Vazquez start.
33-20 when Floyd and Danks start.
15-12 when anyone else starts.

May have a new 1-2 next year.

As of right now, we don't have a #1 IMO.

Jose in '05 took the bull by the horn ..... I don't see any of our guys pulling anything close of What Jose did that year.

Kenny and JR better be looking to add a "go to" arm on this rotation for next season.

Which sucks because the guy that pitched tonight is being paid ACE money.

sox1970
08-30-2008, 11:31 PM
A's got the leadoff guy on.

Whitesoxfan23
08-30-2008, 11:35 PM
Oakland bails us out again! Sox stay in 1st.

sox1970
08-30-2008, 11:37 PM
Twins defense let them down. Love it!

It's Time
08-30-2008, 11:38 PM
Need Floyd to step up.

kidmccarthy
08-30-2008, 11:40 PM
Yeah, we have a real nice turn of events now. We win tomorrow, we could be up to 1.5 again. Wow. The twins are bad on the road. Thats two games in a row their ace has pitched great (Liriano) and Nathan has blown it.

Konerko05
08-30-2008, 11:54 PM
Oakland bails us out again! Sox stay in 1st.

The Twins have been giving the Sox every opportunity to pull away, but they just can't do it.

Lip Man 1
08-31-2008, 12:13 AM
"It's all or nothing" -- Ozzie Guillen to Mark Gonzales of the Tribune.

Lip

Oldfellah
08-31-2008, 12:15 AM
We are still in first... Enough said...

Vernam
08-31-2008, 12:40 AM
The Twins have been giving the Sox every opportunity to pull away, but they just can't do it.Quite true. Another blown save tonight by Nathan, and we couldn't take advantage.

The lineup's failure against that rookie was discouraging, but Buehrle is starting to look like the lefty version of Vazquez -- dominant one game, very hittable the next. In the off-season, Kenny needs to find the pitching equivalent of TCQ. I know, I'm dreaming.

Floyd has a chance to prove he's a money pitcher. It would be a great time for him to step up.

Vernam

ChiSoxGirl
08-31-2008, 01:49 AM
I went out by a friend's house tonight and rather than worrying about the game, which was already 3-0 Boston by the time I got to her place, I chose to ignore it and not text my friends for score updates. I just texted one around the time I thought the game would be over and got the bad news. But that bad news was a lot more tolerable with a glass of merlot in hand! :gulp:

I see it was another 15-hit night for the Red Sox. :rolleyes: Seriously... we have GOT to get our act together, otherwise season ticket holders will be shelling out those thousands for deposits on 2009's tickets, rather than using that money to go to Sox games in October!

JB98
08-31-2008, 01:49 AM
The thing is, the Sox are on a 10 game trip at the same time, and they lost a series with Tampa at home while the Twins split with Anaheim.

There is no scheduling advantage for the Sox anymore. That's out the window. The Twins have a huge scheduling advantage the rest of the way. No question about it.

The Twins had a huge scheduling advantage this week, and they are blowing it. Seattle and Oakland are perhaps the two sorriest clubs in the league. The Twins have gone 2-4. We're playing Baltimore and Boston, and we've gone 2-4 as well.

Nothing gained, nothing lost, six more games off the schedule. That favors the team in front. If anything, the Twins have squandered an opportunity this week. The Sox have played like crap, and the Twins have failed to take advantage of two really, really bad teams from the AL West.

chisoxfanatic
08-31-2008, 02:00 AM
The Twins had a huge scheduling advantage this week, and they are blowing it. Seattle and Oakland are perhaps the two sorriest clubs in the league. The Twins have gone 2-4. We're playing Baltimore and Boston, and we've gone 2-4 as well.

Nothing gained, nothing lost, six more games off the schedule. That favors the team in front. If anything, the Twins have squandered an opportunity this week. The Sox have played like crap, and the Twins have failed to take advantage of two really, really bad teams from the AL West.
I like this mentality. And, they haven't faced world-beating pitching either. I see they miss Halladay in Toronto; but, the Jays still hit well at Skydome, so I truly believe the schedule favors US at least in the short-term.

Let's not forget that, right before we go there, the Twins will have a four-game series IN Tampa! Tampa won't have clinched the division by then, so they'll all be gunning for it. By that time, they will have Longoria back, and very possibly Crawford (not that they aren't doing well without their two stars either).

I don't understand those who think there is such a scheduling advantage for the Twins.

Our Sox still have a great chance to win this division if they don't piss it away themselves.

JB98
08-31-2008, 02:04 AM
I like this mentality. And, they haven't faced world-beating pitching either. I see they miss Halladay in Toronto; but, the Jays still hit well at Skydome, so I truly believe the schedule favors US at least in the short-term.

Let's not forget that, right before we go there, the Twins will have a four-game series IN Tampa! Tampa won't have clinched the division by then, so they'll all be gunning for it. By that time, they will have Longoria back, and very possibly Crawford (not that they aren't doing well without their two stars either).

I don't understand those who think there is such a scheduling advantage for the Twins.

Our Sox still have a great chance to win this division if they don't piss it away themselves.

Too much is being made of the schedule on this board, IMO.

chisoxfanatic
08-31-2008, 02:10 AM
Too much is being made of the schedule on this board, IMO.
One thing that's for sure is, I don't recall a season with so many huge road trips and huge home stands as this season. I think that has something to do with the almost league-wide parity for teams on the road, which is why it is imperative for the Sox to start feeling a bit more comfortable on the road, since they wouldn't have HFA in the first round this time.

Nellie_Fox
08-31-2008, 02:53 AM
... Since they wouldn't have hfa in the first round this time.hfa?

Domeshot17
08-31-2008, 03:03 AM

The problem is we just keep pissing it away. We could very easily have a 3-5 game lead over the twins right now, and instead this team is content on backing into the playoffs.

It also seems kind of funny to me that Buehrle has been so bad in big games since pulling a konerko and talking about how Gavin doesn't have the demeanor for the playoffs. Right Now, if everything was fair, Burls would be fighting Javy for the right to be the game 3 starter.

chisoxfanatic
08-31-2008, 03:14 AM
hfa?
home field advantage
The problem is we just keep pissing it away. We could very easily have a 3-5 game lead over the twins right now, and instead this team is content on backing into the playoffs.

It also seems kind of funny to me that Buehrle has been so bad in big games since pulling a konerko and talking about how Gavin doesn't have the demeanor for the playoffs. Right Now, if everything was fair, Burls would be fighting Javy for the right to be the game 3 starter.
I think Buehrle needs to worry about getting himself back on track before criticizing anyone else. He's been one of the three biggest disappointments this season. If it weren't for Gavin and Danks, we'd be out of it by now.

Mohoney
08-31-2008, 05:03 AM

If Floyd shuts down the Red Sox tomorrow, he would be my choice for Game 1 starter, and it would be a pretty sizable margin.

wassagstdu
08-31-2008, 08:43 AM
It's not a matter of Sox hitters being unaware of what the (better) pitchers are trying to do to them. They are not stupid.

It's a matter of Sox hitters not willing to make the necessary adjustments to be able to cover that change-up - at the expense of a potential towering majestic HR to LF off of a get-me-over fastball they're hoping against hope to get.

Jim Thome sets the tone for this team. He refuses (perhaps rightly in most instances) to slap the ball to left against the shift. His job is to hit HR. Trouble is everyone in the lineup takes the same attitude too much of the time.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-31-2008, 09:10 AM
If Floyd shuts down the Red Sox tomorrow, he would be my choice for Game 1 starter, and it would be a pretty sizable margin.

Floyd or Danks would be my choice, regardless of what happens today. Buerhle and Vazquez are not getting the job done and have not shown any leadership all year.

WhiteSox5187
08-31-2008, 11:03 AM
As of right now, we don't have a #1 IMO.

Jose in '05 took the bull by the horn ..... I don't see any of our guys pulling anything close of What Jose did that year.

Kenny and JR better be looking to add a "go to" arm on this rotation for next season.

Which sucks because the guy that pitched tonight is being paid ACE money.
You might actually see Kenny's "market correction" this year, but based on salaries that were being tossed around in the '06-'07 off seasons, Buerhle isn't really making ace money. Zambrano, Zito and the like are in fact, making ace money. Buerhle is making what a number three pitcher gets.

Domeshot17
08-31-2008, 11:27 AM
You might actually see Kenny's "market correction" this year, but based on salaries that were being tossed around in the '06-'07 off seasons, Buerhle isn't really making ace money. Zambrano, Zito and the like are in fact, making ace money. Buerhle is making what a number three pitcher gets.

Find me many other number 3s making 14-16 a year. While I will give you agreement that he is not making the Zito Zambrano level, He is the 7th highest paid starting pitcher in the game and the 30th highest paid player. He is paid in the likes of Santana, Schmidt, Zambrano, Zito Pettite Hudson (and Hampton is still rounding out). The only pitchers on that list you would really even consider taking Burls over is Schmidt and Zito. Maybe with all things considered and his home town popularity, you take Burls over a handful of others, but Kenny is Paying Burly number 1, front line SP money, not number 3.

Unless you meant to say Buehrle is producing like a number 3 does, that would be a more fair and true statement,

JB98
08-31-2008, 01:19 PM
Jim Thome sets the tone for this team. He refuses (perhaps rightly in most instances) to slap the ball to left against the shift. His job is to hit HR. Trouble is everyone in the lineup takes the same attitude too much of the time.

Thome has a lot of hits to left field this year. Check his hit chart. I don't understand this comment at all.

When Thome is swinging well, he hits the ball to all fields. That's how he raised his batting average from .210 to .250.