PDA

View Full Version : Why can't we win series against teams with winning records?

WhiteSoxAl
08-30-2008, 07:13 AM
We have not won a series against a club with a winning record since we swept the Cubs back in June. We have not started out so great against Boston and we have 4 crucial series against teams with winning records in September. I hope we can pass the test.

Frater Perdurabo
08-30-2008, 07:33 AM
I just wish the Sox would have taken care of business against dregs like Oakland, Kansas City, Baltimore and Texas.

tick53
08-30-2008, 07:37 AM
We have not won a series against a club with a winning record since we swept the Cubs back in June. We have not started out so great against Boston and we have 4 crucial series against teams with winning records in September. I hope we can pass the test.

Your term "not so great" is putting it lightly. This team talks about great defence when it's been terrible. The Sox were atrocious last night. AJ missed a pop up that cost us. Crede didn't even look at home plate that cost us. It seems that this has been the norm especially when it comes to playing teams with winning records. Oh yeah, I forgot the lack of hitting too.

I'm worried. We have to play mostly good teams for the remainder of the year and Cleveland has been playing well to boot.

Parrothead
08-30-2008, 08:03 AM
All the Sox have to do is score more runs than the other team each game. Then they will the series. That simple.:D:

tick53
08-30-2008, 08:23 AM
All the Sox have to do is score more runs than the other team each game. Then they will the series. That simple.:D:

Am I reading Parrothead or Darrin Jackson? :D:

Jurr
08-30-2008, 08:33 AM
If they don't, they weren't going to go far in October, anyway, so it's no big deal. This is why the September schedule plays favorably to the Sox. They MUST play great baseball to even make it to the playoffs. If they aren't up to the challenge of beating good teams, they won't get the chance to play them when it counts. So, two things will happen....

A.) The Sox get it together, playing great baseball en route to a division title. They will be battle tested and ready to make a serious run at the title. There will be no '00 Seattle series in this scenario.

B.) The Sox find that they just aren't good enough to compete with the "big dogs", and they give up the title to Minnesota. They work on their golf games.

There will be no C, which would be "the team backs into the playoffs playing mediocre baseball, which leads to a quick out in October."

kitekrazy
08-30-2008, 10:22 AM
I think we've come to the point where we believe more in what's on paper than what's on the field.

This would be a 4th place team if it wasn't for Danks, Floyd, Ramirez and Quentin. Their performances kept this team around while veterans have choked. If this didn't happen it might have been a 10 game lead. Then again the Twins might be on top if they had their former Cy Young ace. If it weren't for more crackdown on roids, Cleveland and Detroit might be on top.

This team is not even a shadow of the 2005 team. You had 25 guys that would come thru in clutch situations-especially the bullpen. This year's team seems to have great success beating themselves.

If you can get past the name Ken Griffey, there's more potential to make the team worse defensively. That's doesn't seem to bother station to station Sox fans because they' ll bring up that he hit a double while he gave up a triple.

Maybe the Sox aren't that good. All professional sports have players that at their best could win it all but what is happening on the field says a lot more than any stat sheet.

DSpivack
08-30-2008, 10:35 AM

Not necessarily. Lose one game by ten runs, win two by one. There, your opposition has scored more runs than you and you've won a series. :tongue:

jabrch
08-30-2008, 10:47 AM
I just wish the Sox would have taken care of business against dregs like Oakland, Kansas City, Baltimore and Texas.

We didn't? We were 5-3 vs Oakland, 9-6 vs KC, 5-3 vs Baltimore and 3-3 vs Texas.

btrain929
08-30-2008, 11:04 AM
We didn't? We were 5-3 vs Oakland, 9-6 vs KC, 5-3 vs Baltimore and 3-3 vs Texas.

That was my initial reaction, too. We did better this year vs Oakland and KC than in years past for sure.

CubKilla
08-30-2008, 11:04 AM
AJ missed a pop up that cost us.

The game was over way before that when you only manage 2 hits in an entire game..... unless those 2 hits are HR's.....

thomas35forever
08-30-2008, 01:55 PM
In the immortal words of Lee Elia, "the name of the game is hit the ball and get the ****ing job done."

Adele_H
08-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Why can't we win series against teams with winning records?

1. The infallible pitching staff circa the cold months (april, may, part of June), has been very beatable during in the last couple of months.

2. Sox offense relies too much on HR. Good teams have good pitchers who are able to exploit the greed of our hitters to a greater degree.

3. While the legend has it that the Sox are currently being managed by a couple of fundamentals half-gurus, half-wizards in Ozzie Guillen and Joey Cora... Truth of the matter is, Sox still don't have good fundamentals across the board, which makes it more difficult to "steal" close games from good teams, and also makes potentially one-sided contests unnecessarily close/stressful.

chisoxfanatic
08-30-2008, 03:28 PM
That's not really "taking care of business." Having those types of records against above .500 teams is more acceptable; but, they should've gone at least 6-2 against Oakland and Baltimore, 4-2 against Texas, and should be 11-4 against Kansas City right now.

WhiteSox5187
08-30-2008, 04:21 PM
1. The infallible pitching staff circa the cold months (april, may, part of June), has been very beatable during in the last couple of months.

2. Sox offense relies too much on HR. Good teams have good pitchers who are able to exploit the greed of our hitters to a greater degree.

3. While the legend has it that the Sox are currently being managed by a couple of fundamentals half-gurus, half-wizards in Ozzie Guillen and Joey Cora... Truth of the matter is, Sox still don't have good fundamentals across the board, which makes it more difficult to "steal" close games from good teams, and also makes potentially one-sided contests unnecessarily close/stressful.
That's more the fault of the fact we bring in and produce guys who are incapable of executing...look, this team is streaky, it will be lights out for two weeks and play like **** for another two weeks. right now we're in a bad spot, but we might start playing great baseball tonight and not stop for two weeks. I still think this is a playoff team, but once we are in the playoffs, everything goes out the window.

AnkleSox
08-30-2008, 04:48 PM
That's more the fault of the fact we bring in and produce guys who are incapable of executing...look, this team is streaky, it will be lights out for two weeks and play like **** for another two weeks. right now we're in a bad spot, but we might start playing great baseball tonight and not stop for two weeks. I still think this is a playoff team, but once we are in the playoffs, everything goes out the window.

I agree that they are streaky, and I think the only way they're going to make the playoffs is if they happen to hit a hot streak at the end of the season. This is somewhat concerning, but hopefully what it means is that they enter the playoffs on a hot streak, much like they did 3 years ago.

WhiteSox5187
08-30-2008, 06:48 PM
I agree that they are streaky, and I think the only way they're going to make the playoffs is if they happen to hit a hot streak at the end of the season. This is somewhat concerning, but hopefully what it means is that they enter the playoffs on a hot streak, much like they did 3 years ago.
I think both the Twins and Sox are extraordinarily streaky, ideally the Sox go on a bit of a hot streak while the Twins scuffle around .500 and build up a lead to where the division is already secured going into that last season (kind of like in '05). I think for some strange reason that both the Twins and Sox make the playoffs this year. Hopefully we can get hot as we go into the playoffs and are able to raise are fourth championship banner next year.

Frater Perdurabo
08-30-2008, 07:08 PM

The Sox lost winnable games against each of those teams this year: the suspended game against the Orioles, the Friday night debacle in Oakland, at least two games against KC, and at least one game against Texas.

kittle42
08-30-2008, 07:47 PM
Answer: because the Sox are not actually very good.

WhiteSox5187
08-30-2008, 07:50 PM
It's more the fact that they are extraordinarily streaky...which I guess is the makeup of a not very good team.

Whitesoxfan23
08-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Yeah, they are very streaky. The team from 05 takes a huge dump on this years team.

DickAllen72
08-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Sox are showing that they are not really a playoff caliber team.

southsideirish71
08-30-2008, 09:15 PM
Our defense has been poor, and we give up too many extra outs. Good teams turn extra outs into runs.

We are reliant on the home run too much. This team can go from world beater, to asleep in short notice. No consistancy in our offense.

Situational hitting on this team is horrible. We get a man on second, and instead of trying to hit a base hit our hitters are trying to break the sound barrier on the way out of the park.

Adele_H
08-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Our defense has been poor, and we give up too many extra outs. Good teams turn extra outs into runs.

We are reliant on the home run too much. This team can go from world beater, to asleep in short notice. No consistancy in our offense.

Situational hitting on this team is horrible. We get a man on second, and instead of trying to hit a base hit our hitters are trying to break the sound barrier on the way out of the park.

LOL, SSI71, forgot you post here, too. 'sup.:bandance:

Greg Walker's still around, now how about that... :smile:

Thome25
08-30-2008, 09:39 PM
I've seen it posted here recently and I tend to agree but, to answer the title of your thread: Maybe the White Sox are a good but not great team.

slavko
08-30-2008, 09:41 PM
Because they're better than we are?

sox1970
08-30-2008, 09:42 PM
Because they're better than we are?

ding ding ding. Tell him what he's won, Johnny.

Mohoney
08-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Sox are showing that they are not really a playoff caliber team.

I wouldn't go that far. The only team out there that really seems to have everything together are the Angels, and maybe the Rays. Every other team has a few flaws.

Twins - some bullpen issues, lack of power in the lineup
Red Sox - starting pitching concerns, iffy defense
White Sox - bullpen issues, lack of speed, iffy defense

2 of these 3 teams will make the playoffs, so a postseason with 4 rock-solid teams is not going to happen.

jabrch
08-30-2008, 10:57 PM
The Sox lost winnable games against each of those teams this year: the suspended game against the Orioles, the Friday night debacle in Oakland, at least two games against KC, and at least one game against Texas.

Doesn't every team lose winnable games to teams they should beat?

jabrch
08-30-2008, 10:59 PM
That's not really "taking care of business." Having those types of records against above .500 teams is more acceptable; but, they should've gone at least 6-2 against Oakland and Baltimore, 4-2 against Texas, and should be 11-4 against Kansas City right now.

If we were, we'd be a 100 win team. That's not what we have here.

Jurr
08-31-2008, 08:10 AM
If this team made the playoffs, everything would go out the window pretty quick. For instance, if I were a Tennessee Titans fan watching my team secure a playoff berth. You look at your team and you look at the other squads (Patriots, Colts, Chargers) and realize "maybe this just isn't the team to do it". The Sox have a month to convince THEMSELVES that they're capable of winning anything in the playoffs. Cabrera was right - there's not a lot of fight in this dog.