PDA

View Full Version : What if you were a pitcher in the MLB vs the White Sox

kruzer31
08-29-2008, 11:57 PM
We are all die hard Sox fans. What if you got drafted in the Bigs and were to face the White Sox this year down the stretch in Sept. Lets say you played for the Tigers and were starting the game friday Sept 12 at home. How would you feel facing the team you grew up rooting for and dying for. Knowing the Sox need to win every game, would you tank? Or give it your best???

Me personally, I dont know what I would be feeling

Jeff

chisoxfanatic
08-29-2008, 11:59 PM
I'd be feeling emotions on both ends of the spectrum. You're playing for a job; but, then again, you want to see your favorite team in the playoffs.

Whenever I've played MLB games, I make sure I play AGAINST the Sox, because I suck at video games, so the Sox would definitely win, having a 162-0 season and go 11-0 in the playoffs.

TheOldRoman
08-30-2008, 12:12 AM
I would throw nothing but changeups and breaking balls well outside the zone. After they chased a slider outside and a curve in the dirt, I would come back to strike them out on my patented meatball slider over the heart of the plate which they would take on 0-2 hoping it was high. I am thinking 7 innings, 3 hits.

Seriously though, I'm sure that when you get to that point, you pretty much lose your rooting interests. I can't imagine not following the Sox, but if I were working my way up and going through the minors, I wouldn't pay attention to what the Sox were doing. I would be worried about fighting for my own career, not what the Sox did.

Oldfellah
08-30-2008, 12:32 AM
I'd use my whirly ball, spit ball, and fast ball side winder from behind... After about the first 6 innings of mass confusion by the WS, I would bean everyone of them with my 20 mph changeup, bringing in at least 5 runs.

Scottiehaswheels
08-30-2008, 12:34 AM
If it were to be as a pitcher for the Cubs, I would just commit seppuku on the mound before my first pitch.

Edit: For those that don't know what seppuku is.... Seppuku is a ritual form of committing suicide in the Japanese society. Behind this gruesome and barbaric act lies the concept in Japanese thinking that an honorable death is more desirable than a life in shame. :D: The bolds kinda go together.

I'm looking at you Smzamaraiidja

It's Dankerific
08-30-2008, 03:58 AM
Get a minor arm injury? enough to skip a start but not land on the DL?? ;)

I'd do my best to get to be a FA as soon as possible and give the Sox a sweetheart deal, after that.

FireMariotti
08-30-2008, 04:56 AM
If I had the privilege to play for an MLB club, I would imagine that any fanatic devotion I had to a team would become insignificant when compared to my desire to help my new employer succeed.

Also, baseball may be a team game, but players play more for the name on the back of their jerseys than the one on the front.

Say I were a starter for the Royals, and their late season series with the White Sox has a significant affect on the Sox's chance of making the playoffs. I would still give a 100% effort to beat the Sox because my individual job performance directly affects my future compensation. If I were to tank a game to help my boyhood team succeed, my stats would suffer. When it comes to my next contract negotiation, my numbers would be compared to others around the league. Even one poor performance could cost me thousands of dollars if it hurts my standing among my peers.

In short, a player's performance is primarily driven by the dollar. It has little to do with the standings, and it has even less to do with their personal interests.

white sox bill
08-30-2008, 08:17 AM
I'd do the professional thing--beat the pants off whoever I was facing including our Sox. How would Burly feel pitching against the Cards in the WS?

CubKilla
08-30-2008, 10:07 AM
I'd feel great because I know I'd win my first start and dominate the current team I grew up cheering for since they can hardly muster a run against an unknown minor league pitcher. I'd expect my line to be about 6-7 IP'ed, 1, maybe 2 ER's, and 6-7 K's.

My second start against the Mariners or somebody else really bad is the start I'd fret over.

DumpJerry
08-30-2008, 10:13 AM
I would get something in my eye making things a little blurry so everytime my Catcher puts down a signal, I would say very loudly "fastball up and in?" on whatever pitch he signaled just to make sure I give him the pitch he is expecting.

jabrch
08-30-2008, 11:43 AM
My allegience to whomever I am playing for and with would be stronger than my allegience to the Sox...

Madvora
08-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Well, I'd be a guy the Sox had never seen before, so chances are that I would come close to throwing a perfect game if I tried or not.

tstrike2000
08-30-2008, 01:25 PM
In a weird way, it may fire you up even more to put your "A" game on so the White Sox brass says, "This is the type of guy we want pitching in our organization."

hellview
08-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Once you become a professional athlete I'd imagine that all your allegiance to the team you grew up rooting for ends.

I something on a Twins board where Shooter Hunt grew up rooting for the Yankees and has picture of him in a Yankee hat on his facebook. The day he signed his contract he removed the photos of him wearing an NYY hat.

Your allegiance is to the team that's paying you...not the one you grew up rooting for.

It's Dankerific
08-30-2008, 02:18 PM
In a weird way, it may fire you up even more to put your "A" game on so the White Sox brass says, "This is the type of guy we want pitching in our organization."

Thats a really good point.

Konerko05
08-30-2008, 02:32 PM
I don't even think this should be a question. There are numerous reasons I would want to shut the Sox down.

Once you put on that other team's hat for the other team you have a commitment to the ownership that's paying you, the fans, the coaching staff, and more importantly the 25 guys in the dugout with you.

I'm also way too competitive and have too much respect for my ability to want anyone to beat me on the baseball field.

In fact, playing the Sox might spark more of that competitive edge. There is no way I would want my favorite team thinking that I am a loser. I want them to have my respect.

There is also the point that someone else made. If you really impress the White Sox, you might find yourself in the organization one day. Then we wouldn't have to worry about any of this.

turners56
08-30-2008, 03:33 PM
We are all die hard Sox fans. What if you got drafted in the Bigs and were to face the White Sox this year down the stretch in Sept. Lets say you played for the Tigers and were starting the game friday Sept 12 at home. How would you feel facing the team you grew up rooting for and dying for. Knowing the Sox need to win every game, would you tank? Or give it your best???

Me personally, I dont know what I would be feeling

Jeff

Job first, interest second.

lpneck
08-30-2008, 05:36 PM
If it were to be as a pitcher for the Cubs, I would just commit seppuku on the mound before my first pitch.

Edit: For those that don't know what seppuku is.... Seppuku is a ritual form of committing suicide in the Japanese society. Behind this gruesome and barbaric act lies the concept in Japanese thinking that an honorable death is more desirable than a life in shame. :D: The bolds kinda go together.

I'm looking at you Smzamaraiidja

I'm pretty sure that on the north side they refer to it as Harry Carey.

guillen4life13
08-31-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm pretty sure that on the north side they refer to it as Harry Carey.

That made me laugh. I keep on reminding people it's Hara-Kiri.

I don't think you have any choice about how to perform. You do your very best because it's not the Sox that are paying you for your work. You signed the contract with your team. That's the bottom line.

WSox597
09-01-2008, 07:28 AM
Well, I'd be a guy the Sox had never seen before, so chances are that I would come close to throwing a perfect game if I tried or not.

We have a winner. :D:

HawkDJ
09-01-2008, 06:36 PM
Anyone who says they would tank is taking fandom way too seriously.

kittle42
09-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Anyone who says they would tank is taking fandom way too seriously.

Of course. Think of it this way...chances are almost any American-born MLB player had a huge rooting interest in an MLB team. Obviously, that connection probably stays with them to some extent throughout their career, but I think it's a lot different when you are a professional playing the game.

No one would tank.

ChiSoxFan7
09-02-2008, 05:52 PM
I get what you are saying but i don't think it would ever happen...

When I was younger, I cheered for one high school b/c that's the games my aunt took me to every friday night. This year we faced this same team and I took so much enjoyment in beating them in OT....

When you play a sport it would feel weird to go against "your" team but you quickly forget about that and the competitive drive takes over and you focus one hundred percent on winning.

the gooch
09-04-2008, 11:11 AM
http://www.variety.com/graphics/photos/_storypics/bway_bronx.jpg
If your dad needs money, go ask [the White Sox].
See what happens. [the White Sox] don't care about you.
Why care about [them]? Nobody cares.

http://members.aol.com/morgands1/closeup/images/bronx2.jpg
The other night he threw away his baseball
cards because he said [the White Sox] wouldn't pay our rent.

LoveYourSuit
09-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Then you have the opposite case like in Machowiak who just sucked bad while playing for his home team.

CleeFan101
09-04-2008, 12:39 PM
If it was the last game of the season and it was the difference between the whitesox making or missing the playoffs, well that would atleast be in the back of my mind.

That being said I dont think I could actually tank a game, although unlike some of you I would still keep my fandom for the whitesox. Hell id prob take a small paycut to sign with them, not only to play for the team I love but also be close to home.

Soxfanspcu11
09-04-2008, 01:01 PM
my allegience to whomever i am playing for and with would be stronger than my allegience to the sox...

yup

guillensdisciple
09-04-2008, 07:28 PM
If anyone said they would tank a game in the bigs as a starting pitcher for a baseball team they must be crazy. It is almost impossible to become a professional athlete and it takes some people years to get out of the minors. Why would you not give each day a hundred percent.. if you work that hard to make it somewhere you have to have some self- respect.

I love the white sox, but making the bigs would be something I would be willing to trade for a sox loss.

Foulke You
09-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Mark Mulder grew up in South Holland as a diehard Sox fan and he had no trouble sticking it up our you know what every time he faced us when he was on the A's. I think as others have stated, if you get to the bigs, you stop being a fan and focus on your job.