PDA

View Full Version : Twins Road Trip

soxfandy
08-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Alright so the Twins were going on this 14 game road trip and the Sox were supposed to take control of this division. Unfortunately the Twins were a game behind us when they started this road trip and after tonight they will only be a 1/2 game back.

They have been terrible on this road trip, but yet they have gained ground on us. Something is just not right here and the Sox better get their act together quick or else we can kiss the playoffs goodbye.

The twins have given us every chance to run away with this thing, but we have not capatilized on it once.

After tonight we both have 28 games left to play. I just feel like the longer the Twins stay within 2 games of us the more likely they will win the division and that the Sox will watch them from home lose in the first round.

Now is the time to gain that ground. Anybody else feel this way or am I just way to nervous?

KingXerxes
08-29-2008, 10:34 PM
I agree that the White Sox had better get going if they want to play into October.

I have to admit that I was dead wrong about Minnesota this year, I just didn't think they had the horses to make much of an impact on the divisional race - they've fooled me again.

We'll see what happens in the next couple of weeks or so. The White Sox have got to get through Boston and Cleveland in good shape. If Minnesota comes off of this trip in or near first place, I have to believe it will give them a pretty confident feeling going into the last three weeks.

We'll see - if the White Sox are good enough they'll get in, if not - oh well.

drewcifer
08-29-2008, 10:36 PM
I agree that the White Sox had better get going if they want to play into October.

I have to admit that I was dead wrong about Minnesota this year, I just didn't think they had the horses to make much of an impact on the divisional race - they've fooled me again.

We'll see what happens in the next couple of weeks or so. The White Sox have got to get through Boston and Cleveland in good shape. If Minnesota comes off of this trip in or near first place, I have to believe it will give them a pretty confident feeling going into the last three weeks.

We'll see - if the White Sox are good enough they'll get in, if not - oh well.

Yes.

LoveYourSuit
08-29-2008, 10:55 PM
Alright so the Twins were going on this 14 game road trip and the Sox were supposed to take control of this division. Unfortunately the Twins were a game behind us when they started this road trip and after tonight they will only be a 1/2 game back.

They have been terrible on this road trip, but yet they have gained ground on us. Something is just not right here and the Sox better get their act together quick or else we can kiss the playoffs goodbye.

The twins have given us every chance to run away with this thing, but we have not capatilized on it once.

After tonight we both have 28 games left to play. I just feel like the longer the Twins stay within 2 games of us the more likely they will win the division and that the Sox will watch them from home lose in the first round.

Now is the time to gain that ground. Anybody else feel this way or am I just way to nervous?

Thanks!

A post of realism for a change. We have had our chances to go for the throat and it appears our team has no killer instinct. This was the Twin Road Trip where we were suppose to build this so called cushion but yet we have build nothing.

Someone is going to come here and suggest that the 6th or 7th best record is a killer instinct ... that was told to be on the last post game thread. :rolleyes:

CHISOXFAN13
08-29-2008, 11:10 PM
Thanks!

A post of realism for a change. We have had our chances to go for the throat and it appears our team has no killer instinct. This was the Twin Road Trip where we were suppose to build this so called cushion but yet we have build nothing.

Someone is going to come here and suggest that the 6th or 7th best record is a killer instinct ... that was told to be on the last post game thread. :rolleyes:

I'm sure Twins fans are saying the same things since they will be a whopping 2-3 against Seattle and Oakland, the two worst teams in the AL, on this trip.

hellview
08-29-2008, 11:17 PM
I'm sure Twins fans are saying the same things since they will be a whopping 2-3 against Seattle and Oakland, the two worst teams in the AL, on this trip.

It's easy to look at records and say "this team should beat this team" but you never know what's gonna happen when you play a team. I don't think Cleveland is above .500, but who really wants to play that squad right now?

I said before there road trip if the Twins return home within 2 games of the Sox, then this is coming down to that last series at the Dome.

BadBobbyJenks
08-30-2008, 01:24 AM
The race will come down to three games in Minnesota at the end of September.

JB98
08-30-2008, 01:49 AM

I agree. Neither team is going to be able to pull away. It will come down to the last week, and specifically, it will come down to those three games.

doublem23
08-30-2008, 02:29 AM

Yup. To say the Sox have no "killer instinct" whatever that means and then gush over the Twins is ridiculous.

We got 3 more games with 'em in the ****ing dome, and I'm willing to bet that whoever wins the Central wins it by less than 3 games.

This is a good, but flawed team. But they're very, very good when they're clicking. They're good enough to play in October, they're good enough to go deep into October. Just got to get there first.

I don't know what you guys are expecting of the Sox, this has pretty much been their MO for the whole season; they'll play .500 or so ball for about 1 1/2-2 weeks and then rip off a nice little win streak before falling back to their .500-ish level of play. I don't know why so many people around here can't contemplate the fact that even great baseball teams don't play perfect ball all season long. If there's one thing about them that continues to encourage me about this Sox team is that they really haven't had a bad losing streak since early May (the 7-gamer that culminated with the Corpseball series in Toronto). Aside from that, the Sox have never really fell back into a prolonged funk, sure they've blown games they could have won and they've maddeningly lost games to inferior opponents, but this team always seems to bounce back and battle.

chisoxfanatic
08-30-2008, 02:34 AM
Is anyone else glad that they're not going to be able to run away with this division? I still think they'll win the division; but, having them playing meaningful games until the end is going to be highly beneficial in the long run.

doublem23
08-30-2008, 02:38 AM
Is anyone else glad that they're not going to be able to run away with this division? I still think they'll win the division; but, having them playing meaningful games until the end is going to be highly beneficial in the long run.

For the collective health and sanity of this board, they could probably open up a slightly larger lead. :cool:

LITTLE NELL
08-30-2008, 01:13 PM
The 08 Sox remind me of my favorite golfer Phil Mickelson. Lots of potential, streaks of greatness but also lots of dissapointments.
Something is missing with this team and I have no idea what it is. It could be that they just dont believe in themselves.
OC may be right in that they have no killer instinct. The last Oriole game was a good example, after we beat the piss out of them in 2 games we fall flat on our faces in the last game and get crushed which carries on to another bashing by the BoSox last night.

soxpride724
08-30-2008, 02:11 PM
I guess in some ways this is sort of a treat just seeing the Sox play meaningful games this late in the year. I admit I was one of those fans that just thought they would be maybe ten games better than last year, but this team has been a surprise for us all and I for one am pretty damn thankful (And still kinda shocked).

Whatever happens in these next few weeks this season will still have been a success in my eyes.

Go Sox.:gulp:

Konerko05
08-30-2008, 02:15 PM
The 08 Sox remind me of my favorite golfer Phil Mickelson. Lots of potential, streaks of greatness but also lots of dissapointments.
Something is missing with this team and I have no idea what it is. It could be that they just dont believe in themselves.
OC may be right in that they have no killer instinct. The last Oriole game was a good example, after we beat the piss out of them in 2 games we fall flat on our faces in the last game and get crushed which carries on to another bashing by the BoSox last night.

Cabrera's quote kind of scares me a little bit. At first I was mad, because Cabrera seems to always be dwelling on a past team. First it was the Angels, now it's the Red Sox. Then I realized there might be some truth to the statement.

It reminded me of 2003 when Everett told the Twins player, "it's all yours, we just don't have it." Well the quote was something along those lines, meaning the Sox just didn't have that edge to take it from the Twins.

LITTLE NELL
08-30-2008, 02:34 PM
I guess in some ways this is sort of a treat just seeing the Sox play meaningful games this late in the year. I admit I was one of those fans that just thought they would be maybe ten games better than last year, but this team has been a surprise for us all and I for one am pretty damn thankful (And still kinda shocked).

Whatever happens in these next few weeks this season will still have been a success in my eyes.

Go Sox.:gulp:
I for one am not surprised because last year in my estimation was a fluke. You have to remember that in this decade that Sox have been very competative every year but 07. We had the horses to repeat in 06 and after the all star game fell apart. When you are this close to getting to the post season someone has to kick these guys in the rear end and win this thing. By the way interesting stat; we have more than twice the home runs that the Twins have but have only scored 3 more runs.

soxpride724
08-30-2008, 02:47 PM
I for one am not surprised because last year in my estimation was a fluke. You have to remember that in this decade that Sox have been very competative every year but 07. We had the horses to repeat in 06 and after the all star game fell apart. When you are this close to getting to the post season someone has to kick these guys in the rear end and win this thing. By the way interesting stat; we have more than twice the home runs that the Twins have but have only scored 3 more runs.

Yes 07 was a fluke, but you also have to remember that nobody gave this team a chance before the season started. All the talk was Cleveland and Detroit, and how the Sox were supposed to battle the Twins for third place. Well the Sox are battling the Twins but not many people expected this scenario. I guess the real surprise is how bad Detroit and Cleveland have been.

ChiSoxGirl
08-30-2008, 03:14 PM

I agree. Neither team is going to be able to pull away. It will come down to the last week, and specifically, it will come down to those three games.

I really believe this is true and it scares me in ways I can't even discuss right now. :cower:To think that being in first place for 127 days (as of now) might not even matter come September 28... well, that's just sad.

Yeah, I agree with this, too. I really believe that having Cleveland cut that lead down to 2 1/2 games in '05 kept the Sox playing at their best, which eventually propelled them into the playoffs and there was no looking back from there.

With that said, that same 2 1/2 game lead right now would feel like the 15 game lead we had at the beginning of August in '05, just because it's been so close for so long! Having a few game lead would be nice, especially going into the series in that dumpy dome at the end of September. If the Sox had a few game lead, I don't think they'd get sloppy because they have to know by this point that the damn Twins are NOT going away and they'd always have to be at their best.

nccwsfan
08-30-2008, 08:28 PM

It's really this simple. The best team will prevail by September 29th and probably not a day sooner.