PDA

View Full Version : My nephew Got the Call - Starting Against the White Sox!

StillMissOzzie
08-29-2008, 10:27 PM
OMG OMG OMG - We just learned that my nephew, Michael Bowden, was called up from AAA Pawtucket to get his first MLB start - against the White Sox!

SMO
:gulp::gulp:

chisoxfanatic
08-29-2008, 10:28 PM
So, who are ya rooting for? :wink:

kruzer31
08-29-2008, 10:28 PM
Awesome, I hope he gets rocked for 12 run in 2.1 Innings.

KingXerxes
08-29-2008, 10:29 PM
OMG OMG OMG - We just learned that my nephew, Michael Bowden, was called up from AAA Pawtucket to get his first MLB start - against the White Sox!

SMO

Congratulations.

SoxandtheCityTee
08-29-2008, 10:31 PM
Umm, would a decent outing for your nephew but a White Sox win be OK?

:cool:

LoveYourSuit
08-29-2008, 10:33 PM

Sorry, after tonight's game I want the Sox to score 14 in the 1st inning.

Even if my brother was on the mound.

Mohoney
08-30-2008, 03:14 AM
I wish him nothing but the worst of luck tomorrow, and nothing but the best of luck after that.

chaerulez
08-30-2008, 03:26 AM
He went to my high school.

With all that said though, I hope the Sox torch him for 10 runs. Nothing personal, I just don't want the White Sox losing this series to the Red Sox.

LongLiveFisk
08-30-2008, 07:30 AM
Congratulations. Tell him good luck on his second start. :cool:

Chez
08-30-2008, 07:58 AM

SMO

Did he grow up rooting for the Sox or Cubs?

rocky biddle
08-30-2008, 08:38 AM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/08/bowden-to-face.html

Congrats to your family. I hope his second start goes well.

SoxandtheCityTee
08-30-2008, 08:40 AM
Did he grow up rooting for the Sox or Cubs?

SMO answered in the Bowden thread in Talking Baseball. Cubs.

sullythered
08-30-2008, 08:47 AM
I hope the right Sox win 1 to nuithin.

soxnut67
08-30-2008, 08:53 AM
Congrats, but I hope he gets lit up. More than likely though, he'll have a good outing, considering how well the Sox do against pitchers they haven't seen before.

soxfanreggie
08-30-2008, 09:15 AM
Congratulations, that sounds great. Hopefully he has a good season with them after giving up 8 runs to the Sox.

Steelrod
08-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Actually wish bad luck as every good outing puts them closer to wild card. Would feel bad saying this if he hadn't grown up rooting for the Cubs.:rolleyes:

StillMissOzzie
08-30-2008, 11:28 AM

I'm hoping for a quality start from him and that the Right Sox torch their bullpen. Sorry, a no-decision for you, Mike.

SMO
:tongue:

JB98
08-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Bowden's a Cub fan. Let's kick his ass.

JUribe1989
08-30-2008, 12:07 PM
WSI really has a lot of major league connections!

Zobrist and now Bowden!

Jimmy John
08-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Man, i grew up watching this kid pitch. My brother played with him on the DuPage Rage a number of years back, and I personally played against him in high school... I think he struck me out in three consecutive at-bats, ha. I knew he was in Pawtucket but I never thought his debut would be against the Sox. Crazy stuff!

tstrike2000
08-30-2008, 01:14 PM

Congrats to him. That's awesome, but he can get his first win in his second start of the season after he gets his first loss of the season tonight.

Soxfanspcu11
08-30-2008, 01:27 PM
I have a pretty good feeling that he will get shelled. I dunno why I feel that way but I just do. It's his first big league start so I'm sure he will be beyond nervous.

But that is pretty cool that he is your nephew. I wish him luck after tonight.

chisoxfanatic
08-30-2008, 02:31 PM
I hope the right Sox win 1 to nuithin.
With the collective cardiac arrest that seems to be present on this board, a close game like that is not what we need.

turners56
08-30-2008, 03:37 PM
He went to my high school.

With all that said though, I hope the Sox torch him for 10 runs. Nothing personal, I just don't want the White Sox losing this series to the Red Sox.

And I'm currently attending that high school. :cool: He got drafted when I was a freshman.

turners56
08-30-2008, 03:40 PM
I have a pretty good feeling that he will get shelled. I dunno why I feel that way but I just do. It's his first big league start so I'm sure he will be beyond nervous.

But that is pretty cool that he is your nephew. I wish him luck after tonight.

The White Sox tater any kind of young pitcher without a quality secondary pitch. If he can't control his curveball or change-up, he is toast. You can throw the fastball well all you want, but if you have nothing that will keep the White Sox off-balanced, you're asking for it.

chisoxfanatic
08-30-2008, 03:47 PM
I don't know why I'm starting to feel bad now; but, I've got this sick feeling that the "never seen him before" syndrome will kick in here, especially considering the silence of their bats the past couple of games.

Bucky F. Dent
08-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Congratulations - I hope he goes six scoreless, gets pulled by Francona in the top of the 7th and then watches the W go up in smoke as the bullpen gets pounded.:D:

kgork
08-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Was a year ahead of me at Waubonsie. Wish him the best of luck, but I hope he gets shelled tonight.

soxrme
08-30-2008, 04:17 PM
I hope he throws a two hitter and loses 2-0 and wins his next 4 games. What a thrill for your family.

salty99
08-31-2008, 01:06 AM
Well he's now 1-0.

chaerulez
08-31-2008, 04:02 AM
Ozzie was apparently not impressed with Mike Bowden:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080830-white-sox-red-sox-rookie-bowden-pitcher,1,6749827.column

Mohoney
08-31-2008, 04:06 AM

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080830-white-sox-red-sox-rookie-bowden-pitcher,1,6749827.column

Wow. Talk about sour grapes.

HangWiffum
08-31-2008, 08:31 AM

Ozzie was right though. No reason besides walkerball that we shouldn't have pounded his brains in. He wasn't impressive in any aspect of his performance.

salty99
08-31-2008, 11:29 PM
Oh well, he's back in AAA anyway.

StillMissOzzie
09-01-2008, 07:11 PM

Ozzie has a right not to be impressed, but if so, I hope he ripped into the White Sox but good for their approach. Can't have it both ways, IMHO.

Oh well, he's back in AAA anyway.

I think he opened a few more eyes. Since he's got at least 10 days before a MLB return anyhow, I would not be surprised to see him back in September after the PawSox complete their post-season run.

SMO
:gulp::bandance:

Adele_H
09-01-2008, 07:44 PM

SMO

At least your nephew is applying himself and has found his niche in life, StillMissOzzie. Sincere congrats.

Whereas my nephew is a bum. A 3-year old crayon-totting, Discovery Channel-obsessed, strangely androgynous bum with no real job or money earning prospects. :(:

(That's what happens when you have a child in a cold-climate state before graduating college, but try telling it to my older bro' :rolleyes: But I digress)

Rockin Robin
09-01-2008, 07:47 PM
He was on the news here talking about being a Cubs fan, and the only reason he went to Sox games growing up is because the tickets were so easy to get. :rolleyes:

StillMissOzzie
09-01-2008, 08:56 PM
At least your nephew is applying himself and has found his niche in life, StillMissOzzie. Sincere congrats.

Whereas my nephew is a bum. A 3-year old crayon-totting, Discovery Channel-obsessed, strangely androgynous bum with no real job or money earning prospects. :(:

(That's what happens when you have a child in a cold-climate state before graduating college, but try telling it to my older bro' :rolleyes: But I digress)

That's alright, Adele, I had no idea what I wanted to do when I was 3, either... :?:

SMO
:scratch:

TomBradley72
09-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Ozzie was right though. No reason besides walkerball that we shouldn't have pounded his brains in. He wasn't impressive in any aspect of his performance.

It's not "Walkerball", it's "Kennyball"....these guys are performing consistent with their career norms.

Foulke You
09-02-2008, 01:24 PM

Ozzie has a right to not be impressed. I was at that game on Friday and was unimpressed with Mr. Bowden. The only pitch he got over was a fastball around 92 mph that our hitters just missed in key situations. He couldn't get any of his other pitches over to save his life. We let him off the hook a bunch of times and our offense is in the gutter right now. He was the right pitcher at the right time. He might be a good pitcher if he gets his other stuff over but if the Red Sox throw him again and he pitches like he did against us, he'll get shelled.

BTW, I watched the NESN post game show from my hotel room and Bowden was talking about how "sweet" it was to beat the White Sox since he grew up such a Cubs fan. (Cubs fans don't care about the White Sox!) I was glad I wasn't in Chicago last weekend because I'm sure the media had a lot of fun with that one.:rolleyes:

dickallen15
09-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Ozzie has a right to not be impressed. I was at that game on Friday and was unimpressed with Mr. Bowden. The only pitch he got over was a fastball around 92 mph that our hitters just missed in key situations. He couldn't get any of his other pitches over to save his life. We let him off the hook a bunch of times and our offense is in the gutter right now. He was the right pitcher at the right time. He might be a good pitcher if he gets his other stuff over but if the Red Sox throw him again and he pitches like he did against us, he'll get shelled.

BTW, I watched the NESN post game show from my hotel room and Bowden was talking about how "sweet" it was to beat the White Sox since he grew up such a Cubs fan. (Cubs fans don't care about the White Sox!) I was glad I wasn't in Chicago last weekend because I'm sure the media had a lot of fun with that one.:rolleyes:

21 years old, making his major league debut in a huge game, I think he was more impressive than most. In Gammons' latest column he says the D-Backs wanted Bowden for Carlos Quentin last year and the Red Sox said no.

StillMissOzzie
09-03-2008, 02:14 AM

Mike pitched Saturday night's game...

SMO
:rolleyes::tongue::gulp::bandance:

Foulke You
09-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Mike pitched Saturday night's game...

SMO
:rolleyes::tongue::gulp::bandance:
You're right...I was actually at BOTH Friday and Saturday's games while on vacation in Boston. Both butt kickings kind've blended together for me.:(: It figures the White Sox won the only game I didn't go to on Sunday.:rolleyes:

BoysMom3
09-03-2008, 07:56 PM
Congrats to your nephew SMO, that's so awesome!