PDA

View Full Version : Bowden to Make MLB Debut Tommorow.

turners56
08-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Mike Bowden will make the start for the Red Sox tomorrow. It won't be David Pauley. What's weird is that this kid is from my high school was drafted by the Red Sox a couple of years ago...

How weird.

sox1970
08-29-2008, 10:02 PM
Ed Farmer just said his contract was purchased from Portland.

His quote, "I think that's with the San Diego Padres."

Um, no Ed. Dumbass.

JGarlandrules20
08-29-2008, 10:05 PM
He's the nephew of our own WSI member StillMissOzzie.. so that's pretty cool. Congrats to their family. :smile:

turners56
08-29-2008, 10:05 PM
I wish him the best of luck, after his start against us tomorrow. I wonder if anybody will bring this up at school come Tuesday.

turners56
08-29-2008, 10:14 PM
He actually seems like a decent pitcher...

Scouting report (http://www.soxprospects.com/players/bowden-michael.htm)

Woofer
08-29-2008, 11:15 PM
I hope he gets beat. Beat very badly. And since we might be in competition with the Red Sox for a wild card spot, I hope he gets beat everytime he pitches. :rolleyes:

Lefty34
08-29-2008, 11:23 PM
From what I remember Bowden threw gas and had an excellent slider but little else. He had no changeup when he got drafted and that was one of the reasons he was in the minors so long. Anyway congratulations to him and his family, and how long till we see Tim Dennehy?

StillMissOzzie
08-29-2008, 11:37 PM
Mike Bowden will make the start for the Red Sox tomorrow. It won't be David Pauley. What's weird is that this kid is from my high school was drafted by the Red Sox a couple of years ago...

How weird.
Drafted in 2005!

He's the nephew of our own WSI member StillMissOzzie.. so that's pretty cool. Congrats to their family. :smile:
[ProudUncle] Yes he is! We are all VERY proud! [ProudUncle]

From what I remember Bowden threw gas and had an excellent slider but little else. He had no changeup when he got drafted and that was one of the reasons he was in the minors so long. Anyway congratulations to him and his family, and how long till we see Tim Dennehy?

He was in the minors so long? He was drafted in June 2005, so it's been a hair over 3 years now. He spent less than a year in EACH of low A, high A, AA, and was called up to AAA earlier THIS year.
And since I am only a little biased, I won't get into a pissing contest with your scouting report either. Let's just say I respectfully disagree.

This may just be an emergency spot start before he's sent back down, but...as a pre-Sept 1 call-up, he's post season eligible if he sticks.

SMO
:D::gulp::D::gulp::bandance:

tacosalbarojas
08-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Drafted in 2005!

He was in the minors so long? He was drafted in June 2005, so it's been a hair over 3 years now. He spent less than a year in EACH of low A, high A, AA, and was called up to AAA earlier THIS year.
And since I am only a little biased, I won't get into a pissing contest with your scouting report either. Let's just say I respectfully disagree.

This may just be an emergency spot start before he's sent back down, but...as a pre-Sept 1 call-up, he's post season eligible if he sticks.

SMO
:D::gulp::D::gulp::bandance:ya, I don't think it took him all that long to matriculate to the show. I can still remember when he was hooping at Waubonsee.

WisSoxFan
08-29-2008, 11:57 PM
A question that is completely unrelated to most everything previous in the thread, but is he a White Sox fan by chance?

Lefty34
08-30-2008, 12:00 AM
Drafted in 2005!

SMO
:D::gulp::D::gulp::bandance:\
Oh no, I wasn't dissing him at all. I just remember seeing reports on him that said he really needed to work on his changeup. I remember being a pitcher on my high school varsity team the spring before he got drafted, and from all reports I heard he was just straight nasty. I just THINK I remember hearing that his lack of a quality changeup held him up a little bit (a changeup to help him compliment a 93 mph fastball OUT OF HIGHSCHOOL!). May I just say that I hate your lineage, lol.

DeadMoney
08-30-2008, 12:00 AM
A question that is completely unrelated to most everything previous in the thread, but is he a White Sox fan by chance?

Probably should be 'was he' a White Sox fan ... but I'm wondering the same thing. SMO...? :D:

StillMissOzzie
08-30-2008, 12:21 AM

Probably should be 'was he' a White Sox fan ... but I'm wondering the same thing. SMO...? :D:

Sadly, no, he was a Cub fan. I blame his mother. :angry:

SMO
:gulp:

doublem23
08-30-2008, 12:23 AM

SMO

In that case, I hope he gets beaten like a drum tomorrow. :tongue:

hellview
08-30-2008, 12:29 AM
Jesus the Red Sox farm system is deep...they've gone through so many guys and they always have more down in the minors.

Maybe one day the Sox would have a farm system could provide that kind of depth.

Fenway
08-30-2008, 12:33 AM
Ed Farmer just said his contract was purchased from Portland.

His quote, "I think that's with the San Diego Padres."

Um, no Ed. Dumbass.

actually his contract was with Pawtucket (AAA)

Welcome to Red Sox Nation SMO :tongue:

Hitmen77
08-30-2008, 12:58 AM

SMO

No surprise. This is Cubbie-land out here in Naperville/Aurora.

Lefty34
08-30-2008, 01:55 AM
Jesus the Red Sox farm system is deep...they've gone through so many guys and they always have more down in the minors.

Maybe one day the Sox would have a farm system could provide that kind of depth.
Yeah maybe I'll get offered a contract and offer some real depth in the Sox System, I'll even play for food...

LongLiveFisk
08-30-2008, 08:33 AM

Yeah I noticed that when I was over there recently. It really annoyed the piss out of me.

By the way, what HS is Bowden from?

white sox bill
08-30-2008, 09:11 AM
cub fan pitching for the wrong sox---he should lie down maybe he will feel better..

doublem23
08-30-2008, 09:22 AM
By the way, what HS is Bowden from?

Waubonsie Valley

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/B/Michael-Bowden.shtml

WisSoxFan
08-30-2008, 01:08 PM

SMO

As someone already said since this is the case I won't feel bad if we send him to the showers early tomorrow.:bandance:

chaerulez
08-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Bowden was a supplemental pick so it's not like he came out of nowhere, he was always a decent prospect. I don't know what the hell people are talking about that he spent too long in the minors, he's 21-22.

PatK
08-30-2008, 03:43 PM
Congrats to your nephew, but I hope he gets lit up like a Christmas tree.

turners56
08-30-2008, 04:31 PM

I'm sure it's very deep. After all, quantity is always better than quality.

Charlie Zink, Clay Buccholz, and David Pauley are great pitchers, they just get lit up everytime they pitch in the majors.

turners56
08-30-2008, 04:32 PM

It really is...

But I've seen a lot more Sox stuff this year than in year's past.

StillMissOzzie
08-30-2008, 06:45 PM

Sorry for quoting myself as part of this, but here I quote from his high A Lancaster JetHawks BB card:
"Michael Bowden has quite a pitching arsenal: a low-90s four-seam fastball, a hard breaking curve, a tight slider, and a developing circle change-up with plus potential..."

While they do concede that his change-up is a work in progress, it hardly sounds like a 2-pitch pitcher either.

actually his contract was with Pawtucket (AAA)

Welcome to Red Sox Nation SMO :tongue:
"Welcome to Red Sox Nation" Do you have anything to declare?
Thanks, I guess. That and $2 will get me a tall Starbucks du jour. :tongue: back atcha!

SMO
:gulp::bandance::D:

turners56
08-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Nice debut. 5 IP 2 ER. He will probably get the win.

Sox really bailed him out on numerous occasions.

chaerulez
08-31-2008, 05:09 AM

No one who is 21 years old was in the minors too long unless you are some transcendent prospect like Dwight Gooden or Alex Rodriguez.