PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Blech Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
08-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Bitch away, mi amigos.

turners56
08-29-2008, 08:56 PM
I don't know what's so great about Matsuzaka. Whatever it is, our hitters make him look like a saint. It's like they've never seen a Japanese pitcher out there before or something.

sox1970
22 games before they get to Minnesota. 14-8 or the last week may really suck.

Go A's.

DaveIsHere
That sucked....looked like the 'ole Corpseball reared its' ugly head

tdwiek
08-29-2008, 08:57 PM
Good thing we had another day off today.... Oh wait, someone forgot to tell our Sox that we actually were supposed to show up today. Who were those imposters out there?

DickAllen72
08-29-2008, 08:57 PM
The Sox usually lose series to good teams on the road this year. No surprise tonight.

We'll just have to hope Oakland helps the sox out again.

JB98
08-29-2008, 08:58 PM
Disappointed, but not surprised. Wasn't expecting too much tonight with this particular pitching matchup.

chisoxfanatic
08-29-2008, 08:58 PM
I had bad feelings about this one from the point Ellsbury caught that fly off OC's stick after the first pitch.

kruzer31
08-29-2008, 08:59 PM
We may make the playoffs, we may not. If we make it, we probably lose before the World Series........if the Twins make it, they probably lose before the World Series. We are good, just not great.

turners56
08-29-2008, 09:00 PM
It's nice to know that the pitching staff only gave up 4 ER tonight.

thomas35forever
08-29-2008, 09:01 PM
We may make the playoffs, we may not. If we make it, we probably lose before the World Series........if the Twins make it, they probably lose before the World Series. We are good, just not great.
Sadly, I think this statement is accurate.

kitekrazy
08-29-2008, 09:02 PM
The Sox usually lose series to good teams on the road this year. No surprise tonight.

We'll just have to hope Oakland helps the sox out again.

They seem to lose to good teams at home,

JGarlandrules20
08-29-2008, 09:03 PM

It's not who's good enough.. it's who gets hot and plays the best baseball at the right time. I think the 2006 Cardinals proved that best.

That said, this game sucked. I think I'd take a heartbreaker over this crap.

JB98
08-29-2008, 09:03 PM

This is true. If we get in, we will be underdogs in the first round. But the key is just to get in. Sometimes an underdog team gets hot. Look at the Marlins in 2003.

tdwiek
08-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by kruzer31 http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2021828#post2021828)

I would agree with you if it wasn't that some games, this team looks like world beaters out there. They have just been so inconsistent. The defensive sloppiness, on the other hand, has seemed to look very consistent as of late.[/quote]

kitekrazy
08-29-2008, 09:10 PM
I would agree with you if it wasn't that some games, this team looks like world beaters out there. They have just been so inconsistent. The defensive sloppiness, on the other hand, has seemed to look very consistent as of late.[/quote]

To me it's like an 8-8 NFL team in the playoffs. Post season is a consolation,
winning it all is beyond reality.

Oldfellah
08-29-2008, 09:11 PM
blahg,,,, 2 hits... We come back and get them tomorrow!!!!

UofCSoxFan
08-29-2008, 09:13 PM
This is true. If we get in, we will be underdogs in the first round. But the key is just to get in. Sometimes an underdog team gets hot. Look at the Marlins in 2003.

Or the Cardinals in 2006. Just get in the tourney. I'm not going to argue that we are the best team in baseball this year (like I think we were in 2005) but if we get in, get hot and win the thing I could give two ****s. If this team puts it all together they can beat anyone. They can also lose to anyone when they play like they did today.....it's not a reason to throw in the towel on the season though.

kruzer31
08-29-2008, 09:15 PM
Or the Cardinals in 2006. Just get in the tourney. I'm not going to argue that we are the best team in baseball this year (like I think we were in 2005) but if we get in, get hot and win the thing I could give two ****s. If this team puts it all together they can beat anyone. They can also lose to anyone when they play like they did today.....it's not a reason to throw in the towel on the season though.

Ur right, if we get in and the bats go on fire we could end up the 2008 Champs. We need to get there first, and losing 11-3 to the Orioles and not showing up tonight brings me sadness and doubt, but my optimism will be back at 6:05 tomorrow. Mark Buehrle vs a guy from the minors, a MUST win in my opinion.

Jeff

LoveYourSuit
08-29-2008, 09:26 PM
This was awful again tonight. So much for Wed being a fluke.

Time for someone to tell this team we have a chance get in to postseason this year. WAKE THE **** UP.

Either Friday nights are slow on this board or people just don't care anymore (by the amount of participation here so far).

Adele_H
08-29-2008, 09:28 PM
Bitch away, mi amigos.

What's there to B-word about? The team collectively **** the bed, the floor, spilling onto the yard & the street. :mad:

Did somebody say a while back they'd much rather see the defending champs Red Sox than the Twins in the playoffs because we match up better against them? Interesting 'cuz so far Beckett, Matsuzaka (and Lester for that matter) pretty much toyed with our line-up...

Vazquez still can't throw a decent off-speed pitch out of the stretch in a critical situation, and has all kinds of trouble pitching 3rd time through a good line-up. I mean, how does he do it time and time again? He had "no-hit" stuff again - and still got the 'Loss'!

AJ is starting to piss me off with both his defense and offense. I want him out of the #2 spot, let him get back to the basics in the 8-hole.

More bad defense by Swisher... while Ellsbury took away a would-be triple, a play that set the tone for the entire game.

Big boppers TCQ, Dye and Thomer. Can't repeatedly get blown away by Matsuzaka's fastballs. Cannot happen. Like the saying goes: why even look for a (good) breaking ball if you can't hit it anyway, especially with less than 2 strikes? Makes no sense.

Broadway still blows, but at least he's not hurting the team that much. Hopefully Sox don't start him again in '08.

Crede going to the wrong base when there was no chance for a DP that gave Matsizaka the lead...Fundamentals, yo.

Brian Anderson better be in CF tomorrow, Ozzie, otherwise you're sending a bad message to the team that seemingly has sleep-walked through consecutive games during a pennant race. :angry:

oh and.... Hawk, I like you and all, but please SHUT THE **** UP ABOUT THE UMPIRES. (ANGEL HERNANDEZ OF ALL PEOPLE...:rolleyes:)

DrCrawdad
08-29-2008, 09:36 PM
http://www.101funpages.com/html/imgs/page_imgs/dsd0502/sleepwalking.gif

SOX BASEBALL TONIGHT

kitekrazy
08-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Twins up 6-0.

mccoydp
08-29-2008, 10:03 PM
**** game. Sox sure did make Dice-K look good.

Go get them tomorrow, fellas.

EuroSox35
08-29-2008, 10:09 PM
It pays to be hot at the end of the year but the thing that hurts that for this team is the terrible road record. With the struggles towards the end of 05, a lot of fans thought we'd be one and done, but also had a tremendous road record (best in baseball). Along with the bad road record, we're going to start on the road. That doesn't bode well in a best of 5. The Astros on the other hand had a ****ty road record, I'm still kind of surprised they got to the World Series though

Adele_H
08-29-2008, 10:12 PM
**** game. Sox sure did make Dice-K look good.

I'll say this in Dice Ks defense: if Cliff Lee were to regress some down the stretch, Dice K could legitimately end up with a Cy Young Award if Boston is to make the playoffs.

He's what, 17-2 now or something like that? How people can diss a pitcher like that is beyond me.

I mean, W-L record is not end all be all, especially in the era of high bullpen specialization.......But there is a reason why in a Vegas betting line, the starting pitcher match-up is still arguably the biggest determinant.

FedEx227
08-29-2008, 10:17 PM
Ur right, if we get in and the bats go on fire we could end up the 2008 Champs. We need to get there first, and losing 11-3 to the Orioles and not showing up tonight brings me sadness and doubt, but my optimism will be back at 6:05 tomorrow. Mark Buehrle vs a guy from the minors, a MUST win in my opinion.

Jeff

Just because he was in the minors doesn't mean he's not good. Bowden is 22 and is 21-13 with a 3.15 ERA/1.14 WHIP in 82 minor league games not to mention 389 Ks to just 106 BB. He's not just "a guy from the minors"

FedEx227
08-29-2008, 10:19 PM
I'll say this in Dice Ks defense: if Cliff Lee were to regress some down the stretch, Dice K could legitimately end up with a Cy Young Award if Boston is to make the playoffs.

He's what, 17-2 now or something like that? How people can diss a pitcher like that is beyond me.

I mean, W-L record is not end all be all, especially in the era of high bullpen specialization.......But there is a reason why in a Vegas betting line, the starting pitcher match-up is still arguably the biggest determinant.

15-2 with a 3.84 ERA/1.37 WHIP... yeah he's having himself a pretty good year.

KingXerxes
08-29-2008, 10:19 PM
It's going to be a race for the playoffs, but I agree with those who state that the best baseball team doesn't always win out in the playoffs. The way I look at it, if you get in, you have a 25% chance (more or less) of winning the pennant. That is sadly the worst thing (in my mind) that has changed in the past 40 years (well that and the DH - but that's another debate for a different time). Before 1969, only the best teams in each league went to the World Series. I think the 1973 Mets are the best example of a crappy team going to the Series.

You've just got to get there and take your shot these days.

Adele_H
08-29-2008, 10:24 PM
15-2 with a 3.84 ERA/1.37 WHIP... yeah he's having himself a pretty good year.

He's 16-2 with a 2.84 ERA, actually.

More, impressively, he's undefeated away from Fenway - Road starts should obviously valued slightly higher because home teams, especially this year play much better overall.

While Dice-K has disappointed by not throwing as hard as advertised, and has had to go through a tougher adjustment period than anticipated.... Going forward, the amount of pitchers I'd rather have than Matsuzaka can be counted on fingers of one hand.

He does need to be more economical with his pitches, I'll agree with that. And I think he will be.

DrCrawdad
08-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Just because he was in the minors doesn't mean he's not good. Bowden is 22 and is 21-13 with a 3.15 ERA/1.14 WHIP in 82 minor league games not to mention 389 Ks to just 106 BB. He's not just "a guy from the minors"

Minor league pitcher facing the Sox first start in MLB. I smell...

http://troublebrewing.net/TROUBLE%20BREWING.jpg

KingXerxes
08-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Minor league pitcher facing the Sox first start in MLB. I smell...

http://troublebrewing.net/TROUBLE%20BREWING.jpg

We'll see. The betting lines are showing the White Sox as a -110 favorite.

mccoydp
08-29-2008, 10:55 PM

I think he's a definite second to Cliff Lee in the Cy Young department. He's having a great year, better than in 2007.

For some reason, though, his pitching always makes me think that he should be getting rocked out there.

Adele_H
08-29-2008, 11:25 PM
I think he's a definite second to Cliff Lee in the Cy Young department. He's having a great year, better than in 2007.

For some reason, though, his pitching always makes me think that he should be getting rocked out there.

Seriously, I am thinking which SP I'd rather have than Matsuzaka in the next 5 years (irrespective of salary)

Santana - best pound-for-pound pitcher in baseball for 5 years running
Beckett - king of postseason now that Shilling & Smoltz are out of commission.
Halladay - can be in-prime Shilling but unfortunately is mired in Toronto mediocrity
Webb - can get a DP at will AND K's people? Garland, are you paying attention?
Lincicum - who says little people can't kick ass on the mound?
King Felix - needs a real pitching coach, manager first
Verlander - still only 24? Future Beckett.

(Harden, Sheets, Kazmir, Peavy are currently a little too DL-happy... while Sabathia, Zambrano need to address some of the weight/work issues better. Erwin Santana and Edison Volquez can suprise a lot of people, I guess.)

hi im skot
08-29-2008, 11:37 PM
Got our heads handed to us tonight...don't think it means our season is in jeopardy.

Win tomorrow and life will be good again.

Frater Perdurabo
08-30-2008, 06:28 AM
I still think the Sox will win the division this year.

But last night smelled a lot like 2007: Corpseball offense, crappy middle relief, crappy defense.

kitekrazy
08-30-2008, 09:42 AM
But last night smelled a lot like 2007: Corpseball offense, crappy middle relief, crappy defense.

The 2nd half of 2008 isn't that much different. They've gotten away it this season because of Detroit and Cleveland sucking.

There's a lot of false hope for Sox and Twins fans thinking the luck factor will come in to play. Sure everyone could bring up the 2003 Cards but the 2005 Sox broke that mold.

I'll be looking forward to the 2009 season. They're close to being a serious WS contender and Kenny's going make some deals to make it happen.

hi im skot
08-30-2008, 11:47 AM
The 2nd half of 2008 isn't that much different. They've gotten away it this season because of Detroit and Cleveland sucking.

There's a lot of false hope for Sox and Twins fans thinking the luck factor will come in to play. Sure everyone could bring up the 2003 Cards but the 2005 Sox broke that mold.

I'll be looking forward to the 2009 season. They're close to being a serious WS contender and Kenny's going make some deals to make it happen.

Given up already?

Adele_H
08-30-2008, 12:16 PM

What are you talking about?

2003 Cardinals?

Granted, the 2005 Sox led from craddle to the grave, thus in some eyes eliminating some of the suspense. But don't let the 11-1 record deceive you; damn near every game was "losable", except for the very first one (when an injured Matt Clement did his best Lance Broadway impression) that gave the Sox momentum going forward. Without a great deal of luck & Konerko's 4 timely HR, that postseason would have shaped completely differently... even with the very strong starting pitching Sox received.

(Incidentally, all that craziness and nail-bitery actually made the Chapionship more enjoyable not less for me. Plus the 88 years probably figured into it too, somewhere, lol)

Unless you have a collection of big-gamers like Josh Beckett, Johan Santana & Curt Shilling in your rotation, Postseason, especially the MLDS, is as close to a total crapshoot as it gets. Please watch some playoffs for more details.