PDA

View Full Version : Ruling on AJ's flop was wrong

thomas35forever
08-29-2008, 05:31 PM
That is what was ruled according to SportsCenter.

jabrch
08-29-2008, 05:32 PM
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/article788866.ece (http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/article788866.ece)

Dan the Man
08-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Oh well. We won because of it. Thanks! :whiner:

doublem23
08-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Manny Aybar is still an idiot.

Blueprint1
08-29-2008, 05:50 PM
I am pretty sure we have been screwed by bad calls in the past. How about we talk about all them for three weeks.

UofCSoxFan
08-29-2008, 05:50 PM
The intepretation of the rule was not wrong. The application of it was deemed wrong. In other words, Eddings went by the letter of the law, stating that any contact was obstruction whereas the spirit of the rule and typical application is that significant impedment has to occur. This is where Eddings and others have admitted error.

Still, shame on Aybar for putting the umpire in the position to make that call.

doublem23
08-29-2008, 05:51 PM
I am pretty sure we have been screwed by bad calls in the past. How about we talk about all them for three weeks.

We don't play in the right division to merit that sort of attention.

:noevil:

BadBobbyJenks
08-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Sox won. /thread

Adele_H
08-29-2008, 05:58 PM
That is what was ruled according to SportsCenter.

Duh. Of course it was wrong; didn't need Sportscenter confirmation.

Bottomline: BJ Upton & Willie Aybar brain cramps made the game-winning run possible. That's where Tampa fans and Joe Madden's ire should be directed.

IlliniSox4Life
08-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Duh. Of course it was wrong; didn't need Sportscenter confirmation.

Bottomline: BJ Upton & Willie Aybar brain cramps made the game-winning run possible. That's where Tampa fans and Joe Madden's ire should be directed.

Yup.

Not to mention, while it certainly helped us, the winning run didn't score on that play. We still needed to get the hit to win.

FedEx227
08-29-2008, 06:24 PM
Thank you MLB. I said it was bush league the minute it happened, sorry Aybar can't swan dive into LF to get out of the way of AJ's extended wrist. Glad it won us the game but it was a pretty bull**** move from the get-go.

Domeshot17
08-29-2008, 06:30 PM
all AJ had to do instead of stick his arm out was open up that way to turn around, he would have still made contact but it would not have looked so blatant.

It wasn't really Bush League by AJ. You are taught since you are like 6 when you get in a run down you have 2 jobs. (Job A) If there is another runner on base behind you you stay in the run down as long as you can so that runner can move into your base. (Job B) Do whatever you can to make contact with a fielder in the base line because you will end up being safe. In high school and college we could practice this. It isn't bush league, its more being the smartest player on the field. Most players get in a run down and just think give up. AJ was thinking how do I end up safe.

doublem23
08-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Thank you MLB. I said it was bush league the minute it happened, sorry Aybar can't swan dive into LF to get out of the way of AJ's extended wrist. Glad it won us the game but it was a pretty bull**** move from the get-go.

:rolleyes:

Quit your whining, it was a poorly executed rundown at best. Any infielder in Little League should know you run the guy down to the bag and if you don't tag him, you get the hell out of his way. Aybar never should have been that close to AJ in the first place. He had run him at least 80 feet back to 2nd, he had plenty of time to take a proper route to 2nd.

I'm not neccessarily defending AJ, but Aybar is a total idiot for ever letting it happen.

FedEx227
08-29-2008, 06:35 PM
all AJ had to do instead of stick his arm out was open up that way to turn around, he would have still made contact but it would not have looked so blatant.

I agree, but he didn't. He took a route towards LF, stuck his left arm all the way out then acted like he had been shot out of cannon.

Whatever, it's over and done with. All I have to say is, switch place, replace AJ with Grady Sizemore or Justin Morneau as the "smartest player on the field" and I'd love to see the reactions here.

doublem23
08-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Whatever, it's over and done with. All I have to say is, switch place, replace AJ with Grady Sizemore or Justin Morneau as the "smartest player on the field" and I'd love to see the reactions here.

Uh, we're biased Sox fans? :dunno: My bias and I are perfectly fine with one another. Did you miss the motto of this place (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/Columnists/Bova/AllAboutWSI.htm)?

Here is where Sox Fans speak their minds about their team and their passion. The people who write for White Sox Interactive are Sox Fans same as you. We proudly admit to being "Totally Biased, Utterly Petty, Completely Unobjective." If you bleed silver and black, you've come to the right place.

chaerulez
08-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Call was wrong no doubt, but I've seen teams get screwed far worse so I don't feel bad.

chisoxfanatic
08-29-2008, 09:54 PM
AJ's one of the smartest guys in all of baseball. He knows how to get out of tough situations unscathed or with minimal damage. All that was is another heads-up play on his part.

Adele_H
08-29-2008, 10:36 PM
AJ's one of the smartest guys in all of baseball.

If AJ is so smart... how come he gets caught on the basepaths so often for a non-speedster guy? How come he rolls over so many outside off-speed pitches? How come he can't throw out a runner in a big situation? How come the superbly talented Sox pitching staff suddenly has been struggling so badly in the last 2 months under his command, getting beat on so many 2-strike counts in big situations?

AJ's smartitude has been overrated. He's not the bum SF people tried to portray him as but he's noone's genius, either. Just an average-to-above-average player, nothing more.

DickAllen72
08-29-2008, 10:46 PM
If AJ is so smart... how come he gets caught on the basepaths so often for a non-speedster guy? How come he rolls over so many outside off-speed pitches? How come he can't throw out a runner in a big situation? How come the superbly talented Sox pitching staff suddenly has been struggling so badly in the last 2 months under his command, getting beat on so many 2-strike counts in big situations?

Frontman
08-29-2008, 10:53 PM
And I would say 75% of the people in the stands knew is was the wrong call; but like we were going to point that out.

There has been and will be calls that go against the Sox. We keep this one in the back pocket as one that went our guys way.

chisoxfanatic
08-29-2008, 11:01 PM
My thoughts exactly.

KingXerxes
08-29-2008, 11:11 PM
You can't blame Pierzynski for doing whatever he can to try and win a game, that's what these guys are paid to do. What I find hilarious is how badly the umpire bought off on it and blew the call - I am surprised that MLB did ultimately announce that the ump blew the call.

What is really funny is that this is the same ump on the "dropped third strike" against The Los Angeles California USA North America Angels of Anaheim in the 2005 playoffs.

We need him at every game.

Adele_H
08-29-2008, 11:19 PM
My thoughts exactly.

I didn't realize that :rolleyes: constituted a 'thought', let alone multiple thoughts.

I have much to learn.

DrCrawdad
08-29-2008, 11:21 PM

AJ's smartitude has been overrated. He's not the bum SF people tried to portray him as but he's no one's genius, either. Just an average-to-above-average player, nothing more.

What do the two bold points have to do with smarts? Even the last one, hey pitchers have the final decision and they're the ones who have to execute.

:dtroll:

chisoxfanatic
08-29-2008, 11:25 PM
I didn't realize that :rolleyes: constituted a 'thought', let alone multiple thoughts.

I have much to learn.
Gestures are nonverbal ways of conveying thoughts.
What do the two bold points have to do with smarts? Even the last one, hey pitchers have the final decision and they're the ones who have to execute.
Absolutely. We have some of the slowest pitchers to the plate. Not even the best catcher at throwing runners out could do so with most of this staff. I wish everyone worked quickly like Danks and Buehrle.

DrCrawdad
08-29-2008, 11:28 PM
Gestures are nonverbal ways of conveying thoughts.

Absolutely. We have some of the slowest pitchers to the mound. Not even the best catcher at throwing runners out could do so with most of this staff. I wish everyone worked quickly like Danks and Buehrle.

Right. Being smart doesn't mean that you can throw people out on steal attempts. There are probably plenty of dumb catchers with strong arms.

ChiSoxFan7
08-30-2008, 02:43 AM
I know its a bush league move, but it's the rule. I

have never been the most talented in any sport i do but i learn and embrace it. I use every chance to exploit the rules to my team's fullest advantage.

I'm very happy that AJ knows his rules and in a sudden rush of adrenaline *a rundown* he can still keep his wits and use every advantage that he has to help himself.

Kudos to AJ.:gulp:

chaerulez
08-30-2008, 04:32 AM

AJ's smartitude has been overrated. He's not the bum SF people tried to portray him as but he's noone's genius, either. Just an average-to-above-average player, nothing more.

Well I don't know how smarts have to do with some of those things, as talent would determine throwing out base runners or hitting off speed pitches more than smarts. However I agree, this fanbase tends to overrate AJ's supposed baseball intelligence. The guy got caught in a bad situation and tried to fool the umpire. It worked, I don't think that makes him smart. Although my definition of baseball smarts is knowing to correctly hit the cut off man or heads up baserunning. And since AJ got himself into that situation with bad baserunning, calling his actions smart is contradictory. That call doesn't get made 95 percent of the time.

FireMariotti
08-30-2008, 05:33 AM
That damn Pierzynski, what a cheater.

First, he has the audacity to run to first base when the umpire made no out call. He should have respected the spirit of the game and allowed the Angels to have their out. That what a true sportsman would do.

Then he has the nerve to try and save his team an out by initiating contact in a rundown. Sure, all coaches from little league to the majors instruct their players to do the same thing. Obviously, they are all jerks who tarnish baseball's "pure" reputation.

It's the ballplayers responsibility to help the umpire make the correct call.

AJ only cares about helping his team win games, and this is ruining everything the MLB stands for. What an *******.

Sincerely,
Some Idiot

Adele_H
08-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Well I don't know how smarts have to do with some of those things, as talent would determine throwing out base runners or hitting off speed pitches more than smarts.

However I agree, this fanbase tends to overrate AJ's supposed baseball intelligence..

There are different kind of "smarts".

AJ is credited by some many fans with having off-the-chart game IQ/instincts - and yes, same faculties would definately be involved in pitch-recognition/decision-making/discipline at the plate such as they are..... and even in helping the pitcher manage the running game.

For such a brilliant, ultra-instinctive player, AJP sure does make quite a few silly mistakes & fundamentally unsound decisions.

I'll say this for AJ: he's fearless & has shown in the past he possesses good bat control for a big man, which makes him a candidate for a good Postseason performer, but at the rate he's been going lately, if he doesn't stop chasing fastballs chest-high & away, he won't get anything decent to hit anymore.

Adele_H
08-30-2008, 09:42 PM
More smart baserunning from AJ tonight... while down 7-2 no less.

This time around, the Polish Prince got tagged out without trying to do anything camera-whorish, err, winning-y. Could have at least tried to stab the 3B in the thigh with a piece of a shattered bat to make him drop the ball while the ump wasn't looking or something; I guess AJ doesn't want to win at any cost anymore...

:)

DickAllen72
08-30-2008, 09:45 PM
More smart baserunning from AJ tonight... while down 7-2 no less.

This time around, the Polish Prince got tagged out without trying to do anything camera-whorish, err, winning-y. Could have at least tried to stab the 3B in the thigh with a piece of a shattered bat to make him drop the ball while the ump wasn't looking or something; I guess AJ doesn't want to win at any cost anymore...

:)
Get a life.