PDA

View Full Version : Sox fans booing this year?

PeteWard
08-29-2008, 03:52 AM
DeLuca implies there has been a lot.
How accurate is this? I did not think there was that much.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/deluca/1134008,CST-SPT-deluca29.article

chisoxfanatic
08-29-2008, 04:05 AM
Alexei Ramirez received tons of boos??? Huh???

He probably meant Octavio Dotel.

Konerko05
08-29-2008, 04:10 AM
I don't remember Alexie getting booed. The rest of the players he mentioned have all been booed.

That wasn't the point of the article though. The article was basically saying how all those players have turned around abysmal seasons (Alexei to a much lesser extent). The author is right, the White Sox wouldn't be in first place if these players didn't battle through their hard times.

alohafri
08-29-2008, 08:13 AM
Cowley is a dingbat! This is why I don't like days off. "Hey, let's see what anti-Sox stuff I can come up with since there is no game to actually cover."

Without trying to sound flubsessed, did he hear the first inning at the Shrine last night? The boobirds were out as soon as Philly scored their first run!

balke
08-29-2008, 08:15 AM
The fans have been booing a lot lately when they strand runners. I think alexei left 2-3 on early against Kazmir and they started booing. I could be mistaken as to which game, but I think that was the one.

I think Sox fans are booing the team just when they get runners on and can't seem to get anyone in. To that, I say meh. The Sox are doing great, but you can't blame the fans for being on edge after the start of the season.

doublem23
08-29-2008, 08:37 AM
Lest we all forget how completely bad Alexei looked at the start of this year? I'm not defending this crappy column, but for the first couple weeks of the season, Alexei did not look ready for life in the MLB.

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-29-2008, 09:35 AM
What were we supposed to do when the Sox were leaving 10+ men on base per game?

CashMan
08-29-2008, 09:37 AM
What were we supposed to do when the Sox were leaving 10+ men on base per game?

Start doing the robot.

beasly213
08-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Start doing the robot.

Best part of that is no teal.

And last I checked we have every right to boo a player and a team.It doesn't mean we don't like the team or player it means we're not happy with their performance.

So what's the big deal?

alohafri
08-29-2008, 09:42 AM

And last I checked we have every right to boo a player and a team.It doesn't mean we don't like the team or player it means we're not happy with their performance.

So what's the big deal?

Booing, in my book, is okay. I keep mine away from rookies who seem to be busting their humps. What I hate is when I hear crap like "(Insert name of player who's name isn't Jamie Navarro), you piece of ****! You are a ********er! You have blown this whole season for us!" Keep it away from personal attacks on guys people!

CashMan
08-29-2008, 09:44 AM

So what's the big deal?

Considering this team is HR or nothing, if they don't hit a HR, feel free to boo.

hi im skot
08-29-2008, 10:06 AM
Cowley is a dingbat! This is why I don't like days off. "Hey, let's see what anti-Sox stuff I can come up with since there is no game to actually cover."

Without trying to sound flubsessed, did he hear the first inning at the Shrine last night? The boobirds were out as soon as Philly scored their first run!

Cowley didn't write the article.

oeo
08-29-2008, 10:53 AM

So what's the big deal?

What's the point of it? It certainly doesn't help matters...

You have the right to do it, but IMO, you just look like an idiot doing it. You want better play, so you boo...sounds counterproductive to me.

hi im skot
08-29-2008, 10:59 AM
They weren't booing, they we're saying "BOOOOOOOOONE!"

Actually, if Logan was on the mound, it was probably booing....

Chez
08-29-2008, 11:07 AM
I have my own personal guide for appropriate booing opportunities. I try to avoid booing White Sox players unless (1) they fail to give 100% or (2) they make a mental error. That's it. I disagreed with the fans recent decision to boo Dotel for giving up home runs. While I agree that fans have the right to boo whatever they want, I don't see the point of booing mere failure unless it's due to one of the two factors described above.

Vestigio
08-29-2008, 11:10 AM

You have the right to do it, but IMO, you just look like an idiot doing it. You want better play, so you boo...sounds counterproductive to me.

I'm with you. I mean I don't mind if people boo, but like you said it seems counterproductive. The only time I have booed this season was whenever Ordonez was up to bat.

beasly213
08-29-2008, 11:13 AM

So am I supposed to just sit there and cheer when players make bad plays in the field or have bad at bats?

Or am I supposed to sit there in silence?

hi im skot
08-29-2008, 11:14 AM

A lot of folks do. Others groan, sigh, and curse under their breath.

Whatever works, though.

doublem23
08-29-2008, 11:29 AM
They weren't booing, they we're saying "BOOOOOOOOONE!"

Actually, if Logan was on the mound, it was probably booing....

It was only booing if he was lucky.

voodoochile
08-29-2008, 11:44 AM
I don't get booing your own players.

Until I can get inside someone's head and actually prove they are dogging it, it seems counterproductive.

How many people booed PK this year? Was he dogging it or injured? Did he actually deserve those boos? Were you booing his thumb for having the audacity to screw up his season?

Boo the other team. Home field is supposed to be an advantage...

Just my $0.02. Do what you want.

AnkleSox
08-29-2008, 11:46 AM
The only person I'll boo is Dotel because of that ******* little smirk he had on his face after blowing the game for the Sox about a week or so ago.

WhiteSoxBlog
08-29-2008, 12:01 PM
Boo-Urns (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtwslpXHR9I)

I don't think there has been an exceptional amount of booing at all. In fact, how many times did PK get chants of "Paulie, Paulie" when he was at bat? If anything, I think our fans are exceptionally good to the struggling players. The Dotel incident was the outlier, and probably not enough to write an article on, so he had to fill the page with something.

jabrch
08-29-2008, 12:02 PM
but you can't blame the fans for being on edge after the start of the season.

I disagree. I think you can. Lack of effort is one thing - but booing guys working their ass off is silly.

doublem23
08-29-2008, 12:25 PM
I disagree. I think you can. Lack of effort is one thing - but booing guys working their ass off is silly.

You nor I have any idea how hard any of these guys work. I'd take 25 wimps who don't put any effort in at all that win over 25 grinders who suck.

This isn't Little League.

hi im skot
08-29-2008, 12:30 PM
You nor I have any idea how hard any of these guys work. I'd take 25 wimps who don't put any effort in at all that win over 25 grinders who suck.

http://willdo.philadelphiaweekly.com/archives/051606rowand.jpg

Yeah, I dunno...I just needed an excuse to post this photo.

pdimas
08-29-2008, 01:10 PM
I don't get booing your own players.

Until I can get inside someone's head and actually prove they are dogging it, it seems counterproductive.

How many people booed PK this year? Was he dogging it or injured? Did he actually deserve those boos? Were you booing his thumb for having the audacity to screw up his season?

Boo the other team. Home field is supposed to be an advantage...

Just my $0.02. Do what you want.

Last Monday's home game I heard my dad got on Griffey to the point Griffey was making hand gestures at him and telling him to kiss his ass after he missed that fly ball to center. I wasn't there but my buddies who all sit around us told me. My buddies said that after my father had left that Griffey was still looking for him in the stands (we sit in the second row in the bleachers) I guess whatever happened it must have worked as Griffey hit a double his next at bat which turned into the tying run to send the game in extra innings. Im glad I wasn't there im not really a loud person (unlike my father) would have been :redface: but its not like I can stop him.

rocky biddle
08-29-2008, 01:12 PM
I was at a Sox/Twins game at the Cell a few months back. There was a 20ish guy in a Sox jersey sitting a few rows behind me. He was absolutely silent the entire game, except every one once in a while when he'd make some absurd comment about the Sox.

PK had a long at-bat, like 10 pitches, then hit a weak grounder for an out. Sudden shout of, "Way to go Paulie. Way to be a team player." ???

Anything Swisher did got some kind of snarky shout. "Yeah Swisher, way to take practice swings. You suck."

It was brutal. I guess some people aren't happy unless they're miserable.

I don't get it.

oeo
08-29-2008, 01:16 PM
So am I supposed to just sit there and cheer when players make bad plays in the field or have bad at bats?

I don't really care what you do. If booing makes you feel good, by all means, go ahead and do it. The players, though, are either just going to ignore it (which they should) or it's going to get into their head, which results in more bad play. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to boo your own team.

The only circumstance I'd boo a Sox player is if he was a complete douchebag of a human being.

jabrch
08-29-2008, 01:16 PM

This isn't Little League.

Find me 25 wimps who don't put in effort and win major league games.

Just my personal opinion Dubs.. Guys to boo...those who don't run out plays, those who throw to the wrong base, those who forget how many outs there are...

Guys not to boo...guys with hand injuries who struggle through the first half. Pitchers with ERAs under 4 who happen to have a bad outing. Guys with 5+ years of history performing admirably who have a bad day/week/month/year.

It is everyone's choice...I know - a fan bought a ticket, it is their right to boo. Well, it's also my right to call them a douchebag and a fair weather fan.

doublem23
08-29-2008, 01:20 PM
It is everyone's choice...I know - a fan bought a ticket, it is their right to boo. Well, it's also my right to call them a douchebag and a fair weather fan.

I totally agree with you; that said, given how completely miserable the Sox were last year, I don't blame anyone for being on their case early this season.

The Immigrant
08-29-2008, 01:21 PM
I hate this ****ing topic. The fans at the Cell boo way less than their counterparts at Wrigley, Progressive Field, Comerica Park, etc., and yet we keep rehashing this ridiculous topic so the usual suspects can tell us how much better fans they are than the rest of us.

jabrch
08-29-2008, 01:23 PM
I totally agree with you; that said, given how completely miserable the Sox were last year, I don't blame anyone for being on their case early this season.

I hear ya...

alohafri
08-29-2008, 01:50 PM
Cowley didn't write the article.

I'll give myself a big BOOOOOOOO. (not to say that Cowley COULDN'T have written the article :redface:)

LITTLE NELL
08-29-2008, 01:57 PM
I have been a Sox fan since the early 50s and can honestly say that I have never booed a member of the White Sox.(Came close with Claudell Washington).

EuroSox35
08-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Typical Chicago media move, the Cubs or their fans get criticized or involved in a controversy, the thing one media outlet always falls back on is ripping Sox fans. What a ridiculous thing to write, especially in the middle of a road trip. **** the Scum Times. They are the same level as Mariotti, that's why they tried to milk the hell out of all the attention (even if mainly negative) and now have pulled a true "windsock" move in completely piling on against him. No chance I am going back to the Scum Times, they are dead to me

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-29-2008, 02:15 PM
The only circumstance I'd boo a Sox player is if he was a complete douchebag of a human being.

http://bp1.blogger.com/__t6oFjHvLm0/SBqgwcCwJdI/AAAAAAAABXo/SVFpyNoHaF4/s320/Scan11239.JPG (http://bp1.blogger.com/__t6oFjHvLm0/SBqgwcCwJdI/AAAAAAAABXo/SVFpyNoHaF4/s1600-h/Scan11239.JPG) "Hey - someone said you posted about me?"

http://www.mlb.com/images/2005/02/16/P2HQcO9m.jpg "No, ********. he was talking to me."

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/photos/uncategorized/albert_1.jpg "You're both wrong, bitches."

kittle42
08-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Typical Chicago media move, the Cubs or their fans get criticized or involved in a controversy, the thing one media outlet always falls back on is ripping Sox fans. What a ridiculous thing to write, especially in the middle of a road trip. **** the Scum Times. They are the same level as Mariotti, that's why they tried to milk the hell out of all the attention (even if mainly negative) and now have pulled a true "windsock" move in completely piling on against him. No chance I am going back to the Scum Times, they are dead to me

Did you even read the article?

What is wrong with everyone?

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Start doing the robot.

haha! Thanks for clearing that up....

Seriosuly...why is booing a friggin dark cloud? Does it make you look like any less of a fan than the folks who sit there with a look of dissapointment on their face...how is that any different?

Its sports people...sports evoke emotions in people...passion...whatever...whats wrong with that? Just because I hate Dotel that makes me a bad fan? Am i supposed to be happy that he jsut gave up the game winning run(s)?

kittle42
08-29-2008, 03:29 PM
haha! Thanks for clearing that up....

Seriosuly...why is booing a friggin dark cloud? Does it make you look like any less of a fan than the folks who sit there with a look of dissapointment on their face...how is that any different?

Its sports people...sports evoke emotions in people...passion...whatever...whats wrong with that? Just because I hate Dotel that makes me a bad fan? Am i supposed to be happy that he jsut gave up the game winning run(s)?

They're people with feelings blah, blah, blah.

I agree with you.

Nellie_Fox
08-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Once again: There is NO WAY that booing will help, and it damn sure might make things worse.

doublem23
08-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Once again: There is NO WAY that booing will help, and it damn sure might make things worse.

If it can make things worse, it can probably help.

Konerko05
08-29-2008, 04:24 PM
Did you even read the article?

What is wrong with everyone?

I don't think anyone actually took the time to read the article. The title of the thread probably swayed people in the wrong direction.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I don't think the theme of the article is Sox fans booing players. It is about players, having miserable enough seasons to be booed, turning it around and being huge factors down the stretch. No?

alohafri
08-29-2008, 05:10 PM
If it can make things worse, it can probably help.

I agree. A winner says: "Boo? I'll show you boo mother ****er!" A loser says: "Oh God, they hate me. Take me out coach. I can't deal with it."

oeo
08-29-2008, 05:12 PM
I agree. A winner says: "Boo? I'll show you boo mother ****er!" A loser says: "Oh God, they hate me. Take me out coach. I can't deal with it."

Either way, you're putting something extra in their head that shouldn't be. It doesn't matter if you're "winner" type, or a "loser" type. It's still back there, and they're either going to try to do too much, or just won't be able to handle it.

In other words, you're not doing a damn thing, except probably making a situation already worse than it is.

doublem23
08-29-2008, 05:19 PM
In other words, you're not doing a damn thing, except probably making a situation already worse than it is.

When did pro athletes become spoiled babies that can't take criticism? Next time my boss comes to my office and tells me I ran a report wrong, I'll let him know he's putting another thought into my head that will likely cause me to make future errors.

oeo
08-29-2008, 05:21 PM
When did pro athletes become spoiled babies that can't take criticism? Next time my boss comes to my office and tells me I ran a report wrong, I'll let him know he's putting another thought into my head that will likely cause me to make future errors.

Hey, like I said, do whatever you please, I'm not going to tell someone not to boo.

But since you brought up your job :?:, baseball is quite a bit different.

Chrisaway
08-29-2008, 05:30 PM
I only boo teams/players I DON'T like.

jabrch
08-29-2008, 05:31 PM

I don't believe too many managers can be effective if they stand over their employees and shout at them each time the result of their work is nto exactly as it was desired to be.

alohafri
08-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Either way, you're putting something extra in their head that shouldn't be. It doesn't matter if you're "winner" type, or a "loser" type. It's still back there, and they're either going to try to do too much, or just won't be able to handle it.

"Turn on the mechanism." :wink::wink:

Nellie_Fox
08-31-2008, 01:27 AM
When did pro athletes become spoiled babies that can't take criticism? Next time my boss comes to my office and tells me I ran a report wrong, I'll let him know he's putting another thought into my head that will likely cause me to make future errors.Do you think you'd be a more productive employee if people stood behind you while you worked, shouting insults and booing you? I didn't think so.

Besides, you're not the players' boss. It's up to Ozzie to tell them what they're doing wrong, and I don't think he does it by booing them while they're on the field. You think they don't know, and it takes booing to let them know?

"Hey, how come the fans are booing me?"

"Well, you've grounded into three double plays today, and you dropped a popup with two outs that then led to four unearned runs."

"And this is unacceptable? Because if only someone had told me before, I would have taken an entirely different approach."
I don't believe too many managers can be effective if they stand over their employees and shout at them each time the result of their work is not exactly as it was desired to be.I think most of us would quit. Pointing out your shortcomings is different from booing and shouting at you.

Frankfan4life
09-01-2008, 05:40 AM
Boo-Urns (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtwslpXHR9I)

I don't think there has been an exceptional amount of booing at all. In fact, how many times did PK get chants of "Paulie, Paulie" when he was at bat? If anything, I think our fans are exceptionally good to the struggling players. The Dotel incident was the outlier, and probably not enough to write an article on, so he had to fill the page with something.I agree with you. The first four games I went to this year were all losses (some were really bad too). I can't remember hearing any booing at those games.

balke
09-01-2008, 11:55 AM
I made the mistake of responding to this article before reading it. I just read people's responses to it. In reality, I think this article is just directed to what fans thought of these players, not that they literally were booing. There wasn't much booing at the cell if any, but there were mutters and there was anger in May.

This was actually a good article for some people to read, because half this board was jumping ship in May claiming Thome, PK, Cabrera, and Ramirez were all pretty much worthless, and would continue to be.

The smart fans were patient, and now two of these guys are critical to this offense right now, and PK is on his way back to possibly being the catalyst for the Sox in a playoff push. I'm glad to see these guys playing so much better lately.