PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Howard - very odd season

LoveYourSuit
08-28-2008, 11:07 PM
I am looking at the guy's numbers:

36 HRs and 112 RBIs

but a .806 OPS :o:

He has a chance to finish the season with an OPS below .800 and a BA in the .220s yet finish with about 45 HRS and 130 RBIs.

That's insane.

wxkid23
08-28-2008, 11:14 PM
He is likely to hit 200 K's as well :o:

DSpivack
08-29-2008, 12:04 AM
The low OPS I'm guessing is more a product of a low batting average and OBP than a low slugging %.

munchman33
08-29-2008, 12:30 AM
That's the best bad year I've ever heard of.

LoveYourSuit
08-29-2008, 01:12 AM
That's the best bad year I've ever heard of.

In the words of Hawk:

"That's a hard .220 he is hitting."

gn2727
08-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Thats what happens when you swing for the fences every single at bat. If he actually cut down on his swing at least 1 time per game he might be able to knock 30-40k's off and up his batting average by 30-40 points.

All in all he's a good player, but he shares so many similarites with Adam Dunn to be a great player.

DSpivack
08-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Thats what happens when you swing for the fences every single at bat. If he actually cut down on his swing at least 1 time per game he might be able to knock 30-40k's off and up his batting average by 30-40 points.

All in all he's a good player, but he shares so many similarites with Adam Dunn to be a great player.

How did Howard have a .313 average just two years ago?

RKMeibalane
08-29-2008, 12:03 PM

People like to make that comparison, but I'm sure I buy into it. Prior to this season, Howard had always hit at least .267, usually finishing in the .280's somewhere. This season is the first that he's had a low batting average.

The bulk of Howard's problems come against left-handed pitching. He needs to spend a considerable amount of time in the off-season reviewing films and learning to keep his front shoulder in. Too many times, I've seen him pull off the ball and ground into the shift teams are using against him.

He has power to the opposite field. If he can focus more on hitting the ball the other way, teams won't be able to use the shift anymore.

Eddo144
08-29-2008, 12:12 PM

Cutting down on your swing is not as easy as so many posters and critics will have you believe. Baseball is a very precise game - one little hitch in your swing and you'll go into a bad slump. Changing it completely takes time, and will change the kind of hitter you are. Changing it for one AB per game is asking for trouble. Eventually, your two swings will blend together, possibly resulting in an even worse swing.

And there's no guarantee a cut down swing will actually result in more hits. The world is full of people with short swings who never got close to the major leagues. Ryan Howard got there by having a powerful swing. He should, as the old saying goes, dance with what brung him.

gn2727
08-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Cutting down on your swing is not as easy as so many posters and critics will have you believe. Baseball is a very precise game - one little hitch in your swing and you'll go into a bad slump. Changing it completely takes time, and will change the kind of hitter you are. Changing it for one AB per game is asking for trouble. Eventually, your two swings will blend together, possibly resulting in an even worse swing.

And there's no guarantee a cut down swing will actually result in more hits. The world is full of people with short swings who never got close to the major leagues. Ryan Howard got there by having a powerful swing. He should, as the old saying goes, dance with what brung him.

Now I dont disagree with you one bit. But the thing is he really should work on it in the offseason so he can be a more complete player.

hi im skot
08-29-2008, 12:50 PM

Maybe he's just having an "off" year...? :dunno:

DSpivack
08-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Maybe he's just having an "off" year...? :dunno:

He's gone from .313 to .268 to .228. That seems more than average fluctuation to me. Just rather odd.

getonbckthr
08-30-2008, 03:29 AM
Because he had used opposite field a ton.

tstrike2000
08-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Very Dave Kingman-esque. With a stacked lineup, he's hitting home runs and to knock guys in front of him in. He's just doing it 22% of the time with not a high rate of walks or extra base hits besides home runs.