PDA

View Full Version : Todd Jones goes home with ailing shoulder

Oblong
08-28-2008, 09:34 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080827&content_id=3377191&vkey=news_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det&partnerId=rss_det

His Tiger career's over and probably his ML career. He's the all time saves leader for Detroit.

I normally wouldn't post just any old Tiger story here but I think Todd is a special case. It's no secret that he was shaky as a closer. Ernie dubbed him the Roller Coaster and for good reason. I've cursed him as a player many times. But never as a person. You will not find a more stand up guy. He never once hid from the media after blowing a save. He's a genuinely nice guy. He'd make fun of himself. He'd say things like "When I pitch just go make a sandwich. When you get back it'll be over one way or another". After blowing a game against Toronto in memorable fashion they asked him how he slept. "Like a baby. I woke up every 2 hours crying". One of my favorite heckling stories is one he told. In Colorado a guy was ribbing him to no end in the bullpen. Finally Todd signed a baseball and wrote "here, have a hot dog and beer and be quiet" and put a $20 around it. The guy sent the ball back with a $50 and wrote "I'm rich, I can buy my own beer".

When the Tigers clinched a playoff spot in 2006 he broke down when talking about how much he knew it meant to the fans who suffered all those years and how proud he was to be on the team to finally take them back. He recorded the final out at Tiger Stadium and said many times how proud he was of that. He was always there to sign autographs and mingle with the fans.

A class act and a guy that was great for the game.

Lefty34
08-28-2008, 10:06 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080827&content_id=3377191&vkey=news_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det&partnerId=rss_det

His Tiger career's over and probably his ML career. He's the all time saves leader for Detroit.

I normally wouldn't post just any old Tiger story here but I think Todd is a special case. It's no secret that he was shaky as a closer. Ernie dubbed him the Roller Coaster and for good reason. I've cursed him as a player many times. But never as a person. You will not find a more stand up guy. He never once hid from the media after blowing a save. He's a genuinely nice guy. He'd make fun of himself. He'd say things like "When I pitch just go make a sandwich. When you get back it'll be over one way or another". After blowing a game against Toronto in memorable fashion they asked him how he slept. "Like a baby. I woke up every 2 hours crying". One of my favorite heckling stories is one he told. In Colorado a guy was ribbing him to no end in the bullpen. Finally Todd signed a baseball and wrote "here, have a hot dog and beer and be quiet" and put a $20 around it. The guy sent the ball back with a $50 and wrote "I'm rich, I can buy my own beer".

When the Tigers clinched a playoff spot in 2006 he broke down when talking about how much he knew it meant to the fans who suffered all those years and how proud he was to be on the team to finally take them back. He recorded the final out at Tiger Stadium and said many times how proud he was of that. He was always there to sign autographs and mingle with the fans.

Yeah I liked Todd Jones, he just seemed like one of those 'basebal guys'. I know this doesn't mean much of anything, but in MVP Baseball 2005 (which I still play), Todd Jones somehow made it onto every one of my teams, I can't explain it, but he always did.

kraut83
08-29-2008, 08:01 AM

I'll never forget that picture of him sitting on the mound in an empty Comerica Park after they won the ALCS in 06.

Hopefully he stays in baseball in some capacity.

KenBerryGrab
08-29-2008, 10:00 AM
Wearer of an all-time great 'stache.

hi im skot
08-29-2008, 10:03 AM
http://www.homeruncards.com/imagesrc/todd-jones.jpg

Thanks for the info you mentioned, Oblong. I've never known a whole heck of a lot about Jones, but I've heard nothing but good things.

When he gave up the eventual game-winning home run to Dye in Detroit last month, he didn't seem to dodge questions from the media. I've always respected players like that.

Good luck in the future, Todd.