Konerko05
08-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Just a bad game all around.

whitesoxfan
08-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Better step our game up this weekend.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-27-2008, 10:05 PM
Broadway sure hurt his trade value tonight.

getonbckthr
08-27-2008, 10:06 PM
You win 60, you lose 60. This was one of the 60. I'm not sure how the continuation counts but as far as i'm concerned we won the series. You keep winning series you'll be playing October baseball.

Whitesoxfan23
08-27-2008, 10:07 PM
Bad game all around. I wish the Twins had an off day tomorrow as well. Ugh.

Konerko05
08-27-2008, 10:08 PM
I think Danks might benefit from a couple extra days off. He hasn't looked sharp since the Boston game.

Broadway has nothing.

DumpJerry
08-27-2008, 10:08 PM
Win some, lose some.

getonbckthr
08-27-2008, 10:09 PM
I think Danks might benefit from a couple extra days off. He hasn't looked sharp since the Boston game.

Broadway has nothing.
Broadway is a starter not a relief pitcher. They are completely different monsters. Add-in Broadway was basically thrown to the wolves and told no matter what if you go perfect or you give up 10 runs your staying in.

Cuck the Fubs
08-27-2008, 10:09 PM
The Sky is falling again!

Whitesoxfan23
08-27-2008, 10:10 PM
There is a reason that Broadway was getting worked in AAA.. We saw that tonight. I still wish they would have picked up a pitcher on waivers.

JB98
The Sox stunk in all facets tonight. Write it off and get ready for Friday.

TheOldRoman
http://www.ginside.com/content/2008/05/google-search-epic-fail.jpg

Danks: terrible
Broadway: terrible
Offense: terrible

I'm glad they came to play today. Danks didn't have it, I guess it happens every now and then. I just LOVE tipping my cap to horrible pitchers with ERA's over 7. I guess he was due, and will probably win 20 games some day.

tstrike2000
08-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Griffey lumbering in from center, just to have the ball fall in front of him letting in another 2 out run pretty much summed up the night. Next...

Konerko05
08-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Broadway is a starter not a relief pitcher. They are completely different monsters. Add-in Broadway was basically thrown to the wolves and told no matter what if you go perfect or you give up 10 runs your staying in.

I'm strictly talking about his "stuff." I'm making this judgement based on his past start and this relief appearance.

LoveYourSuit
08-27-2008, 10:12 PM
You win 60, you lose 60. This was one of the 60. I'm not sure how the continuation counts but as far as i'm concerned we won the series. You keep winning series you'll be playing October baseball.

True, but kind of sucks to count this one in the "60 loss column" when we faced a guy with a WHIP close to 2.00 and we had perhaps our best pitcher on the mount.

The 2 losses this series hurt because now we go to a hostile crowd at Fenway vs a contender and then the Indians at the Jake will not be easy either since they are all of sudden hot. We pissed away our room for error by dropping 2 this series.

DickAllen72
08-27-2008, 10:13 PM
The whole team looked like they were drugged tonight.

So counting the suspended game, the Sox just split a four game series against a crappy team on the road. That's about par for the course for the '08 Sox.

They usually lose to good teams, so they better step it up this weekend to keep their playoff hopes up.

delben91
08-27-2008, 10:14 PM
This thread in 15 words or less:

Season's over, everyone sucks, fire Ozzie and Walker, KW is a moron.

UofCSoxFan
08-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Bad game. Move on. Huge series begins Friday (of course they all are huge). I think today just proves once and for all that this thing will go down to the end.

DumpJerry
08-27-2008, 10:17 PM
The 2 losses this series hurt because now we go to a hostile crowd at Fenway vs a contender and then the Indians at the Jake will not be easy either since they are all of sudden hot. We pissed away our room for error by dropping 2 this series.
The Tribe is hot? They have been beating up (mostly) Kansas City, Detroit, Baltimore, Texas, and Toronto. AL doormats. Yes, they also took 2 of 3 from the Angels, but the Halos have been in a little slump lately.

sox1970
08-27-2008, 10:19 PM
The suspended game hurts now.

The next six games are going to be tough.

Whitesoxfan23
08-27-2008, 10:20 PM
The suspended game definitely should have been won.

JohnnyInnsbrook
08-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Looks like the whole team wanted to take their day off early ....

getonbckthr
08-27-2008, 10:23 PM
I'm strictly talking about his "stuff." I'm making this judgement based on his past start and this relief appearance.
I thought his start was solid. RP and SP have different preparations.

Cuck the Fubs
08-27-2008, 10:24 PM
This thread in 15 words or less:

Season's over, everyone sucks, fire Ozzie and Walker, KW is a moron.

Don't forget to trade Konerko!

sox1970
08-27-2008, 10:24 PM
Here's some of the pitchers the Sox will have to face coming up:

Beckett
Matsuzaka
Lee
Carmona
Weaver
Lackey
Saunders
Burnett
Halladay
Verlander
Pettitte
Mussina

thomas35forever
08-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Well that sucked. Hurts to have our lead cut in half, but hopefully the day off will put some freshness in the minds of our guys. Let's silence the Fenway crowd early on Friday.

TheOldRoman
08-27-2008, 10:27 PM
The whole team looked like they were drugged tonight.

So counting the suspended game, the Sox just split a four game series against a crappy team on the road. That's about par for the course for the '08 Sox.

They usually lose to good teams, so they better step it up this weekend to keep their playoff hopes up.The Twins are garbage. As I have said all along, if the Twins win the division, it will be because the Sox choked and handed it to them... again.

2 of 4 against a bad Baltimore team? Meh. Spilt on the road, win at home. The only problem is, you have to fatten up on ****ty teams, and they missed a chance. The Sox have 6 tough road games coming up. They have to win three of these just to break even on this trip because they slept in today. I think they have a good shot of winning 3, but their road record will still be well under .500. Because the Sox have crapped away games to bad teams, in particular losing 3 of the last 4 in KC, they now have to hulk up against better teams. Because the Sox lost 2 of 3 to the Royals at home in July, they might be in a position where they have to win 2 of 3 in Minnesota.

This is one game, and I don't think it will have any carry over to Friday, but if the Sox don't win the division, games like this will be the reason why. "It's just one game", yes, but we have had more than our fair share of "one games" this season. The Twins were lucky to catch LAA at the right time, so even after crapping themselves in Seattle, they are still 3-4 on this killer trip. The Sox are supposed to be making up ground right now.

Konerko05
08-27-2008, 10:30 PM
One positive from today's game: Konerko's homerun.

That was the best swing I've seen Konerko take all year. Everything about it was perfect. He looks like he is really seeing the ball well.

CHISOXFAN13
08-27-2008, 10:31 PM
Bad game all around. I wish the Twins had an off day tomorrow as well. Ugh.

Why would you want the Twins, who have an overworked bullpen, to have an offday?

TheOldRoman
08-27-2008, 10:33 PM

Beckett
Matsuzaka
Lee
Carmona
Weaver
Lackey
Saunders
Burnett
Halladay
Verlander
Pettitte
MussinaWell, at least we don't have to face Radhames Liz again.

DickAllen72
Because the Sox have crapped away games to bad teams, in particular losing 3 of the last 4 in KC, they now have to hulk up against better teams. Because the Sox lost 2 of 3 to the Royals at home in July, they might be in a position where they have to win 2 of 3 in Minnesota.

This is one game, and I don't think it will have any carry over to Friday, but if the Sox don't win the division, games like this will be the reason why. "It's just one game", yes, but we have had more than our fair share of "one games" this season.
Exactly.

Whitesoxfan23
The only reason I say that, is because they have a chance to gain a half game on us tomorrow.

getonbckthr
08-27-2008, 10:35 PM

Beckett
Matsuzaka
Lee
Carmona
Weaver
Lackey
Saunders
Burnett
Halladay
Verlander
Pettitte
Mussina
Beckett's has been banged so i'm not as worried. Carmona isn't the Carmona of last year, not even close. Dice-K is a mystery to me. He has average at best control. He gets himself into trouble and teams let him off the hook. Thats a game if we show patience we should win.

delben91
08-27-2008, 10:37 PM
The only reason I say that, is because they have a chance to gain a half game on us tomorrow.

Yes, and they have a chance to lose half a game too.

The Sox just have to win their own games and the rest will take care of itself.

Tonight was a ****ty game, yes, it was. Even good pitchers have bad games (Danks) and even ****ty pitchers can keep an offense off balance (Liz), or the offense can take themselves out of it. Happens every year to every team. Let the guys put it behind them and come ready to play on Friday.

WhiteSoxBlog
08-27-2008, 10:37 PM
I'm not saying the pitching was good, but the defense today was the real trainwreck, in my opinion. It seemed like if you didn't strike the guy out, you would have a guy guaranteed on base.

LoveYourSuit
08-27-2008, 10:42 PM
The Tribe is hot? They have been beating up (mostly) Kansas City, Detroit, Baltimore, Texas, and Toronto. AL doormats. Yes, they also took 2 of 3 from the Angels, but the Halos have been in a little slump lately.

:rolleyes:

10 Sraight and 16-3 since Augsut 8 ....that's HOT in any league regardless of the competition.

Funny how if it's the Sox who go on a stretch like this of beating up " AL doormats" as you phrase them, we are throwing a ticker tape parade. And God forbid the hated media calls out our competition " AL doormats," that would create a 300 page thread on this board "they are diserespecting our Sox again."

LoveYourSuit
08-27-2008, 10:48 PM
Beckett's has been banged so i'm not as worried. Carmona isn't the Carmona of last year, not even close. Dice-K is a mystery to me. He has average at best control. He gets himself into trouble and teams let him off the hook. Thats a game if we show patience we should win.

The performance vs a scrub like tonight, I am not going to take any of those opposing pitchers lightly.

Konerko05
08-27-2008, 10:48 PM
"Tony Phillips had an edge to him"

Yeah, it's called cocaine.

alohafri
08-27-2008, 10:56 PM

Beckett
Matsuzaka
Lee
Carmona
Weaver
Lackey
Saunders
Burnett
Halladay
Verlander
Pettitte
Mussina

Carlos Lee is hurt, so he will be no problem. Charley Weaver is dead, so we are okay there. And I think Warner Saunders has a newscast, so he will give up a bunch of bad pitches just to get out of there.

Malgar 12
08-27-2008, 10:57 PM

Am I the only one sick of that cliche? Don't throw me under the bus, its just Malgar 12 being Malgar 12.

twentywontowin
08-27-2008, 10:58 PM
2 of 3 in this series. We do that here on out, we got the division.

whitesoxfan
08-27-2008, 11:03 PM

Beckett
Matsuzaka
Lee
Carmona
Weaver
Lackey
Saunders
Burnett
Halladay
Verlander
Pettitte
Mussina

The good pitchers usually aren't a problem for us. Weaver's always tough on us, but we're pretty decent against the rest of those guys. I'm not worried.

LoveYourSuit
08-27-2008, 11:04 PM
2 of 3 in this series. We do that here on out, we got the division.

Right, since we just took 2 of 3 from TB and we also won the make-up game on Monday? :rolleyes:

Another one of those cliche's I can't stand.

At some point I want my Sox team to go for the kill, is that asking for too much?

EuroSox35
08-27-2008, 11:08 PM
It's not like we've been good on the road, but this next couple series will tell a lot, time to start turning this around. I think we'll make the playoffs, but we're going to start on the road, let's see if we can play to our competition, @ Boston and @ red hot Cleveland are good tests

twentywontowin
08-27-2008, 11:09 PM
Right, since we just took 2 of 3 from TB and we also won the make-up game on Monday? :rolleyes:

Another one of those cliche's I can't stand.

At some point I want my Sox team to go for the kill, is that asking for too much?

Since when does here on out mean last week?

29 games left. You win 2/3, you're getting at least 18 wins. That puts us at 94. No team since the wild card era in the AL has won 94 and not made the playoffs.

Show some optimism.

kevingrt
08-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Wow was that disgusting. Can I go puke.

PeteWard
08-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Carlos Lee is hurt, so he will be no problem. Charley Weaver is dead, so we are okay there. And I think Warner Saunders has a newscast, so he will give up a bunch of bad pitches just to get out of there.

Plus Beckett was murdered in Canterbury Cathedral and Burnett throws like a woman, is a bad comedian and is dead as well, I think. :tongue:

LoveYourSuit
08-27-2008, 11:20 PM
Since when does here on out mean last week?

29 games left. You win 2/3, you're getting at least 18 wins. That puts us at 94. No team since the wild card era in the AL has won 94 and not made the playoffs.

Show some optimism.

1. We did not take 2 of 3 decisions here in Baltimore, we split a total of 4 games off the schedule. The make-up on Monday does count, it appears many of you guys are pretending that it didn't happen.

2. How many more series this 2nd half are we going to start this stupid count down of "2 of 3" from here out and then have to restart again after the following series because we decided to botch a series in between?

Let's go for the kill is all I'm asking for. There is just way too much talent on this team to not have a 5-6 game cushion by now.

And what's starting to worry me even more is all these stressful innings on our young arms like Gavin and Danks and then the bullpen all because we have no room for error right now since we can't build a big enough lead. Danks looks very tired and laboring every inning out there the last 3 starts. I can't imagine all the stress on him this late in the year.

TDog
08-27-2008, 11:34 PM
There is a reason that Broadway was getting worked in AAA.. We saw that tonight. I still wish they would have picked up a pitcher on waivers.

A pitcher off of waivers could do worse than pitchers the Sox have in their organization, at the expense of developing talent. In fact, Richard has been a better pitcher than Danks since he was recalled. Richard had 10 straight shutout innings before pitching a three-run fourth inning in his last start. I am certainly happy neither Byrd nor Washburn are pitching for the White Sox.

Tonight's game wasn't about Broadway not being as sharp out of the bullpen as he was in his most recent start. It was about Danks not pitching well. Broadway was in the game to spell the bullpen in a lost cause. I really did expect the hitters to hit. The pitcher may have had one of those effectively wild nights, the sort Danks said he had in his last start, where he had success without pitching very well. If the hitters, other than Konerko, had been hitting early in the game, Broadway certainly wouldn't have given up so much.

Ramirez probagly needs a day off, and I hope Thursday will suffice. Quentin should benefit from the rest.

It seems odd that with the Sox should lose so badly with Konerko in the lineup, no one is ripping Konerko.;

LoveYourSuit
08-27-2008, 11:37 PM
Broadway took one for the team today. Ozzie made the right call, the flow of the offense had no chance today.

The bullpen has had some good rest lately, we will need them big here in Bo-Town.

Dick Allen
08-27-2008, 11:57 PM
The Sox should be well rested for Boston after having two days off.:angry:

socaljeff
I find it amazing how scared some Sox fans seem to get when they face a tough series or two. The bottom line is that if the Sox cannot beat good teams (especially on the road) and good pitching, they don't belong in the playoffs.

Instead of listing all of the tough pitchers they will face over the next couple weeks, Sox fans should be rejoicing and looking forward to the challenge. They should be excited that we are in a pennant race and that we have an opportunity (with 29 games to play!) to win a division title and make a run at another World Series title. Sure, it's frustrating to lose games against lesser teams, particularly this time of the year - but that's baseball.

The way I look at it, if we play well the next 12-15 games or so and stay in the race, then not only do we deserve to be in the playoffs, but we will have a legitimate chance during the post-season. But if we don't play well and we lose the division, then we should go home at the end of the regular season because we wouldn't have gone anywhere in the playoffs anyway.

But don't sell this team short ... it is pretty resilient, and it wouldn't surprise me if it found a way to win this division.

Enjoy the next couple weeks, Chisox fans ... it should be interesting!:smile:

oeo

Beckett
Matsuzaka
Lee
Carmona
Weaver
Lackey
Saunders
Burnett
Halladay
Verlander
Pettitte
Mussina

No more Liz?

I hate when people bitch about the pitcher we've never seen before, but tonight was just sad. The guy had no idea where he was throwing the ball and we were just helping him out.

doublem23
08-28-2008, 12:20 AM

The 5th best record in baseball isn't good enough for you?

whitesoxfan
08-28-2008, 12:28 AM
"I think Cintron was the player of the game," said Guillen with a laugh. "He was supposed to be in the lineup, then all of a sudden, Roberts plays, and he killed us. I blame Cintron for this one. Thank you. You almost got me fired last year, now you're going to get me fired this year."

Absolutely awesome :redneck

areilly
08-28-2008, 12:28 AM
No more Liz?

I hate when people bitch about the pitcher we've never seen before, but tonight was just sad. The guy had no idea where he was throwing the ball and we were just helping him out.

Just curious how many times Hawk said:
a) That Radhames Liz, when he is on, he is one heck of a big-league pitcher
b) sometimes being a good team has nothing to do with whether or not you play good baseball, and vice versa
c) nights like this are why baseball is such a beautiful game

chisoxfanatic
08-28-2008, 12:31 AM
Which would ultimately bring them back to where they were at the end of this past weekend. They actually dropped .5 game during these concurrent series, and they were playing the lowly Mariners! I honestly feel confident that we'll be able to widen the divisional lead by at least a couple more games by the end of this road trip.

Nellie_Fox
08-28-2008, 12:37 AM
"I think Cintron was the player of the game," said Guillen with a laugh. "He was supposed to be in the lineup, then all of a sudden, Roberts plays, and he killed us. I blame Cintron for this one. Thank you. You almost got me fired last year, now you're going to get me fired this year." Way to go, Ozzie!

PicktoCLick72
08-28-2008, 12:45 AM
I do hate when we lose before an off day. It leaves such as bad taste in my mouth.

While it will be a fight, as other posters have said, this team has shown to be very resilant this year. I have to think they will still show this resilancy the rest of the year.

These last 30 games are what baseball is about. The Sox are not going to back into the playoffs. They will have to earn it. As Hawk says, "Sit back, relax, and strap it down.

Frontman
08-28-2008, 12:56 AM
:hawk

"You know there Fiesty, sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the Bear gets you."

:DJ

"You said it partner. That Devin Hester is amazing, isn't he?"

"Glad to see you stopped paying attention to this game like the majority of our fans. Well, we got an off-day tomorrow and go get the Carmines in Bean-town on Friday."

:DJ

"I didn't know there was a good Italian resturant in Boston."

*sigh* "So for my partner DJ Darrin Jackson, our Hall of Fame director Jim Angio and all the crew, this here's the Hawk saying so long everybody!"

Konerko05
08-28-2008, 01:27 AM
Does King Xerxes still post here?

Whitesoxfan23
08-28-2008, 01:49 AM
Ozzie said he liked the way Broadway threw the ball? Lol is he serious? I'm glad he ate up those innings for our bullpen, but he sucked tonight.

LoveYourSuit
08-28-2008, 02:20 AM
The 5th best record in baseball isn't good enough for you?

It's the 6th best record by the way.

and for the roster we have, hell no is 6th acceptable.

But best record doesn't matter, it's going for the kill in the division what concerns me. The team trailing us has the 7th best record (if you want to go there) and is only one game out from us.

Hitmen77
08-28-2008, 09:39 AM
The Twins are garbage. As I have said all along, if the Twins win the division, it will be because the Sox choked and handed it to them... again.

2 of 4 against a bad Baltimore team? Meh. Spilt on the road, win at home. The only problem is, you have to fatten up on ****ty teams, and they missed a chance. The Sox have 6 tough road games coming up. They have to win three of these just to break even on this trip because they slept in today. I think they have a good shot of winning 3, but their road record will still be well under .500. Because the Sox have crapped away games to bad teams, in particular losing 3 of the last 4 in KC, they now have to hulk up against better teams. Because the Sox lost 2 of 3 to the Royals at home in July, they might be in a position where they have to win 2 of 3 in Minnesota.

This is one game, and I don't think it will have any carry over to Friday, but if the Sox don't win the division, games like this will be the reason why. "It's just one game", yes, but we have had more than our fair share of "one games" this season. The Twins were lucky to catch LAA at the right time, so even after crapping themselves in Seattle, they are still 3-4 on this killer trip. The Sox are supposed to be making up ground right now.

I agree.

Yes, every team has their share of sucky games like the Sox had last night. But the problem is that we've already squandered other games we should have won - we blew late leads twice vs. the Rays and once in Oakland. Plus we blew our chance to win that suspended game (both in April and on Monday).

We're going to be facing some tough teams over the next month and a majority of our remaining games are on the road. Right now we have a 1 game lead, but IMO a 1 game lead going into the TrashDome late next month is a recipe for disaster.

In the end, I don't think splitting a series with a last place team is going to be good enough to get us to the playoffs. I don't give a damn that this is supposedly "just one of our 60 automatic losses." It's time for the Sox to step it up if they want to stay ahead for a playoff spot.

kittle42
08-28-2008, 09:58 AM
I agree.

Yes, every team has their share of sucky games like the Sox had last night. But the problem is that we've already squandered other games we should have won - we blew late leads twice vs. the Rays and once in Oakland. Plus we blew our chance to win that suspended game (both in April and on Monday).

We're going to be facing some tough teams over the next month and a majority of our remaining games are on the road. Right now we have a 1 game lead, but IMO a 1 game lead going into the TrashDome late next month is a recipe for disaster.

In the end, I don't think splitting a series with a last place team is going to be good enough to get us to the playoffs. I don't give a damn that this is supposedly "just one of our 60 automatic losses." It's time for the Sox to step it up if they want to stay ahead for a playoff spot.

You are correct - many blown games this season, as in every season, seem to resonante moreso at the end of the season, which is all the more reason why teams like the lowly Orioles need to get the snot kickied out of them. It's simply an easier task than beating the Red Sox, Yankees, Angels, and Twins.

Jurr
08-28-2008, 12:18 PM
1. We did not take 2 of 3 decisions here in Baltimore, we split a total of 4 games off the schedule. The make-up on Monday does count, it appears many of you guys are pretending that it didn't happen.

2. How many more series this 2nd half are we going to start this stupid count down of "2 of 3" from here out and then have to restart again after the following series because we decided to botch a series in between?

Let's go for the kill is all I'm asking for. There is just way too much talent on this team to not have a 5-6 game cushion by now.

And what's starting to worry me even more is all these stressful innings on our young arms like Gavin and Danks and then the bullpen all because we have no room for error right now since we can't build a big enough lead. Danks looks very tired and laboring every inning out there the last 3 starts. I can't imagine all the stress on him this late in the year.
Yes, this team should've excelled against the "gimmees" on the schedule. Yes, they should be in control of this division by now.

HOWEVER....
The goal is a WS. It's definitely NOT just making the playoffs. What the current standings dictate to the Sox is this.....play good baseball now against the better teams in the AL or perish. There will be no "backing in" with this last month of baseball. Danks and Floyd need a bunch of stressful innings, because they don't get easier in the playoffs. The bullpen needs to get ratcheted up. Players need to get into that "every little thing in every game counts" mentality. If they succeed, they will be rewarded with a playoff berth. If they get a playoff berth, they will be EXACTLY where they need to be from a mental standpoint to make a serious run at the WS.

We've seen in previous playoff appearances ('05 being the exception) that "just getting there" sucks. You want to get there and be playing great baseball once you're there. This month will force the AL Central Champion, whether it's the Sox or the Twins, to be strong for October.

oeo
08-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Ozzie said he liked the way Broadway threw the ball? Lol is he serious? I'm glad he ate up those innings for our bullpen, but he sucked tonight.

So you want Ozzie to say that he sucked? :scratch:

That would be just great, telling a guy that we may need down the stretch that he was complete garbage. That will definitely help his confidence.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-28-2008, 04:28 PM
So you want Ozzie to say that he sucked? :scratch:

That would be just great, telling a guy that we may need down the stretch that he was complete garbage. That will definitely help his confidence.

.... to say nothing of hurting his trade value.

Adele_H
08-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Tonight's game wasn't about Broadway not being as sharp out of the bullpen as he was in his most recent start.

Oh please. Broadway was no more sharp last time out than he was this time around.

The chief difference was, he caught KC hitters precisely at the right time as they rolled over his meatballs to Uribe.... while Baltimore hitters, at home, smacked those meatballs all over the park.

Goatprits of the game, in order of importance:

Danks
Broadway
Sox defense
Sox offense