PDA

View Full Version : Who is the biggest asswipe in Baseball?

jabrch
08-27-2008, 01:45 PM
Pirates placed first-round selection Pedro Alvarez on the restricted list.

Alvarez refuses to sign his contract at the behest of his agent, the always lovable Scott Boras. Boras is demanding that the Pirates increase Alvarez's $6 million bonus, and says the contract was submitted after the deadline on August 15. MLB has confirmed that the contract was submitted in time, though. "We are not surprised that Mr. Boras would attempt to raise a meritless legal claim in an effort to compel us to renegotiate Pedro's contract to one more to his liking," Pirates president Frank Coonelly said.
Source: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/pirates/s_585166.html?source=rss&feed=14)

What a piece of trash. This goes beyond doing what is best for your client and broaches the territory of unethical behaviour.

aryzner
08-27-2008, 01:47 PM
AJ Pierzynski

thomas35forever
08-27-2008, 01:48 PM
I can list a few:

Elijah Dukes
Brett Myers
Delmon Young
Milton Bradley

twentywontowin
08-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Bud Selig? It took this many posts to get here?

hi im skot
08-27-2008, 02:11 PM
I can list a few:

Elijah Dukes
Brett Myers
Delmon Young
Milton Bradley

Delmon had the incident with the umpire several years ago, but hasn't he pretty much been on the straight and narrow since then?

I honestly don't know...just curious. Aside from the fact he plays for the Twins (and kills us), I don't have a problem with him.

Vestigio
08-27-2008, 02:11 PM
Barry Bonds
Manny Ramirez
Vicente Padilla

jdm2662
08-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Meh, When BorASS doesn't get his way, he will just cry collusion like he usually does.

asindc
08-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Curt Schilling.

SOXPHILE
08-27-2008, 02:36 PM
All of the above mentioned names, and I'd also like to add

Alfonso Soriano
Jeff Kent
Sidney Ponson

BNLSox
08-27-2008, 02:42 PM
I'd like to add K-Rod to the list. There is getting excited about winning and then there is his absolutely over the top dramatic dance he does every damn game. He not only shows up his opponents he shows up his own team. He is a first rate douche and I can't wait until our boys give him a blown save in the playoffs!

Irishsox1
08-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Curt Schilling is winning this race by a huge margin. According to his blog he might come back...look out 5+ era!

I wonder if he's going to bring his bloody sock and red food coloring dye?

kittle42
08-27-2008, 02:46 PM
Anyone who beat their wife.

Then Bud Selig.

Harry Potter
08-27-2008, 02:56 PM

The Ref....

SSrep
08-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Doug Mientkiewicz

soxpride724
08-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Assface (Aramis) Ramirez

kittle42
08-27-2008, 03:36 PM
Assface (Aramis) Ramirez

What has he ever done to be regarded so poorly? It's just about the first name in this thread I don't see.

PatK
08-27-2008, 03:42 PM
What has he ever done to be regarded so poorly? It's just about the first name in this thread I don't see.

It could be that he's got to be in the league lead for most amount of time admiring his home runs.

Chrisaway
08-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Hes a hot dog. He doesn't hustle.

SpartanSoxFan
08-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Jeff Kent.

kittle42
08-27-2008, 04:06 PM
It could be that he's got to be in the league lead for most amount of time admiring his home runs.

Hes a hot dog. He doesn't hustle.

He has a certain fly-ball-catching-hopping teammate who is much more of the HR admirer and hot dog.

PatK
08-27-2008, 04:45 PM
He has a certain fly-ball-catching-hopping teammate who is much more of the HR admirer and hot dog.

Yeah, but in some odd way I feel sorry for him.

He bears an uncanny resemblance to the one-legged guy that got his head bashed in by Kevin Dillon in "Platoon", from the teeth to the hop.

OldRomanPizza
08-27-2008, 04:52 PM
I am too old to pay attention to individual players enough to get to hate them . Ironically enough, back in the 90s, Jim Thome was on the top of my list!

Schilling gets my vote, simply because the man is extremely fascinated with himself and feels the need to share it with everyone. Seriously, I know that guy's religion, political stances, freakin favorite video games....why do I know all of that?

Lefty34
08-27-2008, 06:06 PM
I am too old to pay attention to individual players enough to get to hate them . Ironically enough, back in the 90s, Jim Thome was on the top of my list!

Schilling gets my vote, simply because the man is extremely fascinated with himself and feels the need to share it with everyone. Seriously, I know that guy's religion, political stances, freakin favorite video games....why do I know all of that?

You also know that he really was going to miss his Boston teammates when he left (especially the way Big Papi and Pappelbon would get hammered and start slapping his ass with a towel)...oh wait, he came back? Crap. Can he get those letters back?

Average Homeboy
08-27-2008, 07:23 PM
1. Scott Boras
2. Bud Selig
3. A.J. Pierzynski
4. Milton Bradley
5. Jose Guillen

johnnyg83
08-27-2008, 08:33 PM
1. Schilling
2. Kevin Millar
3. IROD

A. Cavatica
08-27-2008, 09:03 PM
Hank Steinbrenner.

hellview
08-27-2008, 10:06 PM

Brett Meyers?

ComiskeyBrewer
08-28-2008, 04:21 AM
Gary Shieffield. I'll never forgive that guy for purposely throwing errors because he wanted to be traded.

Bucky F. Dent
08-28-2008, 05:10 AM
Can't believe it took this long, Joe Morgan.

"I had dinner with Rachel Robinson, Jackie's wife, last night....."

Chrisaway
08-28-2008, 07:06 AM
I agree he isn't the biggest asswipe in baseball, but he should make the list.

Mine include:
Sheffield
Shilling
Aram
Manram
and many many more....

TommyJohn
08-28-2008, 07:08 AM
Gary Shieffield. I'll never forgive that guy for purposely throwing errors because he wanted to be traded.
Same here.

soxpride724
08-28-2008, 08:01 AM

Exactly!

soltrain21
08-28-2008, 08:31 AM

So that makes him worse than someone who is charged with domestic abuse?

PeteWard
08-28-2008, 08:47 AM
Zambrano anyone?

EMachine10
08-28-2008, 09:17 AM
I'd like to add K-Rod to the list. There is getting excited about winning and then there is his absolutely over the top dramatic dance he does every damn game. He not only shows up his opponents he shows up his own team. He is a first rate douche and I can't wait until our boys give him a blown save in the playoffs!
Seconded

ChiSoxFan7
08-28-2008, 09:42 AM
manny. Maybe he's slightly different in LA but that won't last long. If you're getting paid to do a job atleast take it seriously even if you pissed of with management

ChiSoxFan7
08-28-2008, 09:56 AM
Zambrano anyone?

He's intense. You can't really fault him. I would never want somebody like that on my team but he does, bring his emotion...

somewhat like TCQ's **** scream after he misses....if he's on your team you love it, if not you don't.

Domeshot17
08-28-2008, 09:56 AM
Paplebon. Its one thing to celebrate, its another to give the big K rod over the top dramatics, but to come out and riverdance around the field to show up the other team after all that is completely uncalled for. Also, has anyone ever noticed that he seems to give huge emotional fist pumps and big yelling faces everytime a camera is put on him. He also talks a huge game and doesn't back it. Not saying he isn't a great closer, but he talked about more payback for the Rays, and basically how Boston was going to bury them, and nope.

ChiSoxFan7
08-28-2008, 10:05 AM
Pbut he talked about more payback for the Rays, and basically how Boston was going to bury them, and nope.

never got how a closer or SP could make this claim....you play in such few games to even have enough guaranteed impact

A position player will have contact (batting and fielding) with the ball maybe 12 times in game and they may be able to say something like this.... but a closer or SP could touch the ball zero times in 4 games.

TDog
08-28-2008, 10:55 AM
A lot of good names, although A.J. Pierzynski doesn't merit consideration. He is a competitor who rubs other players and fans the wrong way. The sort of player you're looking for has his petty (or grand, in he case of money) personal interests in front of his team. It's Gary Sheffield intentionally missing fly balls in Milwaukee so the Brewers will acquiecse and trade him. Of course, Gary Sheffiled belongs on the list of nominees.

Since the retirement of Albert Belle, the title is up for grabs.

pythons007
08-28-2008, 12:20 PM
I pretty much can't stand half of the closers in the game today! Valverde, K-Nod, and Papelboob should all be sent to a deserted island and forgotten about.

Lefty34
08-28-2008, 01:02 PM
Can't believe it took this long, Joe Morgan.

"I had dinner with Rachel Robinson, Jackie's wife, last night....."

Don't forget his ramblings about being one of the greatest 2B's to ever play the game. And I love how he still, to this day, will tell you that Billy Beane wrote 'Moneyball' and how the book has ruined the game. What a piece of crap that guy is.

bigfoot
08-28-2008, 01:17 PM

Then Bud Selig.

Has Bud stopped beating his wife, yet>?

Eddo144
08-28-2008, 01:34 PM
Don't forget his ramblings about being one of the greatest 2B's to ever play the game. And I love how he still, to this day, will tell you that Billy Beane wrote 'Moneyball' and how the book has ruined the game. What a piece of crap that guy is.
Now now Lefty, I hate Morgan as much as you do. But Bill James himself has said that Morgan is indeed the best ever to play 2B.

He's an idiot, rigid, and condescending, but he was also a hell of a ballplayer.

EDIT: And, unless you've heard differently, a decent human being (aside from the condescending part).

tstrike2000
08-28-2008, 01:36 PM
buttramis ramirez, papeldong, sheff-don't like to-field, prince fielder, brett "anger management" myers, manram, more-no.

alohafri
08-28-2008, 01:47 PM
Pirates placed first-round selection Pedro Alvarez on the restricted list.

Alvarez refuses to sign his contract at the behest of his agent, the always lovable Scott Boras. Boras is demanding that the Pirates increase Alvarez's $6 million bonus, and says the contract was submitted after the deadline on August 15. MLB has confirmed that the contract was submitted in time, though. "We are not surprised that Mr. Boras would attempt to raise a meritless legal claim in an effort to compel us to renegotiate Pedro's contract to one more to his liking," Pirates president Frank Coonelly said.
Source: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/pirates/s_585166.html?source=rss&feed=14)

What a piece of trash. This goes beyond doing what is best for your client and broaches the territory of unethical behaviour.

This is pretty much what Dibble and Kennedy said yesterday. Some of these families need to say, "hey, sign for whatever and play!" If you are really that good, any additional signing bonus money will be chicken feed.

RCWHITESOX
08-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Barry Bonds
Manny Ramirez
Vicente Padilla

Barry Bonds, Jeff Kent, and Lou Pinella

PatK
08-28-2008, 02:05 PM
So that makes him worse than someone who is charged with domestic abuse?

I'm going by what you see at the park.

kittle42
08-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Barry Bonds, Jeff Kent, and Lou Pinella

I hate to keep coming to the support of the Cubs-related entries here (though I did bash Hoppyano), but what exactly makes Piniella so bad?

gregoriop
08-28-2008, 02:14 PM
I will agree with everyone who said K Rod. I don't understand how no one has shown him up yet. If anyone else hit a homer and immediately flew open their arms in some messianic pose it'd be a big deal.

soxinem1
08-28-2008, 03:01 PM
This is pretty much what Dibble and Kennedy said yesterday. Some of these families need to say, "hey, sign for whatever and play!" If you are really that good, any additional signing bonus money will be chicken feed.

Dibble and Kennedy were pricks too when they played and managed, so they should talk.

Sheffield, ARamirez, K-Rod, and Bradley are probably the biggest, don't-appreciate-the-goodness-MLB-has-brought-to-them losers on the field right now, since Barriod has retired.

Lefty34
08-28-2008, 03:11 PM
Now now Lefty, I hate Morgan as much as you do. But Bill James himself has said that Morgan is indeed the best ever to play 2B.

He's an idiot, rigid, and condescending, but he was also a hell of a ballplayer.

EDIT: And, unless you've heard differently, a decent human being (aside from the condescending part).

Now now Endo, I understand that Joe Morgan was really good at the game of baseball, but it's the same type of thing you (or at least I) run into with Ron Santo. The guy was good, ok, but I don't need to hear about it every broadcast, in my mind that makes you a pud and goes a long way in negating your baseball accomplishments whatever they may be. And this 'Moneyball' thing and how he constantly rips (incorrectly) a book and a new way of thinking about baseball puts it over the top for me. Just like Santo and his hatred of Mother's Day Pink Bats. At that point, when your idiocy and self-centered, ego-driven mouth starts targeting things that other people enjoy, you are no longer Joe Morgan: Great Ballplayer and a PUD, you simply become, Joe Morgan: The PUD. And you can't even be bothered to be informed about what you are ripping on? That just tops it for me.

Maybe I'm a little biased because of the whole stats v. non-stats (ok not maybe, I AM biased), but even people that don't like stats have to have seen or heard Morgan incorrectly ripping 'Moneyball'.

Eddo144
08-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Now now Endo, I understand that Joe Morgan was really good at the game of baseball, but it's the same type of thing you (or at least I) run into with Ron Santo. The guy was good, ok, but I don't need to hear about it every broadcast, in my mind that makes you a pud and goes a long way in negating your baseball accomplishments whatever they may be. And this 'Moneyball' thing and how he constantly rips (incorrectly) a book and a new way of thinking about baseball puts it over the top for me. Just like Santo and his hatred of Mother's Day Pink Bats. At that point, when your idiocy and self-centered, ego-driven mouth starts targeting things that other people enjoy, you are no longer Joe Morgan: Great Ballplayer and a PUD, you simply become, Joe Morgan: The PUD. And you can't even be bothered to be informed about what you are ripping on? That just tops it for me.

Maybe I'm a little biased because of the whole stats v. non-stats (ok not maybe, I AM biased), but even people that don't like stats have to have seen or heard Morgan incorrectly ripping 'Moneyball'.
Endo? Never got that before. :tongue:

I totally agree. My favorite game to play on Sunday nights is "contradict everything Joe Morgan says during the ESPN telecast." It's quite easy, but still fun.

Joe Posnanski brings an interesting viewpoint (http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2008/06/25/special-ops/)on Joe Morgan and his disdain for any sort of advanced statistics.

Lefty34
08-28-2008, 04:46 PM
Endo? Never got that before. :tongue:

LOLZ. Sorry about that, I'm a moron. I don't know how I substituted an "n" in there, and I'm not going to make excuses so...yeah I'm a moron.

johnnyg83
08-28-2008, 09:42 PM

And he claims that he's never read the book and never will b/c he disagrees with it. How do you know if you haven;t read it, Joe? How DO you know?

EuroSox35
08-28-2008, 10:35 PM
Someone mentioned Ramirez in this thread, I just saw the Cubs game highlight, the way he watched his HR was ridiculous, if I was a Phillie there would be 0 doubt that I would plunk that douche. Everyone should want a turn

kittle42
08-28-2008, 10:59 PM
Someone mentioned Ramirez in this thread, I just saw the Cubs game highlight, the way he watched his HR was ridiculous, if I was a Phillie there would be 0 doubt that I would plunk that douche. Everyone should want a turn

GMAB. It was undoubtedly gone. Even the CF just stood there.

FWIW, I'd take Aramis Ramirez on the Sox in a heartbeat.

kraut83
08-29-2008, 08:12 AM

What does that matter? Just run the bases and act like you've done it before.

I agree though, there are not a lot of other 3B I would take over him right now. David Wright, A-Rod, and maybe Garrett Atkins.

beasly213
08-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Chris Berman - I'll never forget this capital Dbags announcing during the Red Sox/White Sox 05 division series. Who can forget gems such as:

"Ground ball to Graffinino...OHHH NOOO!"

"Ohhh he gets him to go... : (" (After El Duque struck out Damon)

"And congratulations to the Red Sox as well" (This was after they just got swept.)

K Rod- I love how he points to the sky as if God wanted him to strike out that player or God helped him. Yea buddy I'm sure God really is a huge Angels fan.

Eddo144
08-29-2008, 09:58 AM
Chris Berman - I'll never forget this capital Dbags announcing during the Red Sox/White Sox 05 division series. Who can forget gems such as:

"Ground ball to Graffinino...OHHH NOOO!"

"Ohhh he gets him to go... : (" (After El Duque struck out Damon)

"And congratulations to the Red Sox as well" (This was after they just got swept.)
Look, I don't care for Berman either; he's not funny, but he thinks he is, which means he just says more and more stupid things. However, I never got the outrage over what he said during the 2005 ALDS. So he's a Red Sox fan and was disappointed when the screwed up - who cares? He didn't affect the outcome of the game, and he wasn't even badmouthing the White Sox (which would be bad, considering the games were broadcast nationally).

Personally, I like when announcers aren't afraid to show their rooting interests. It's one thing when they allow the "national" coverage to be dominated by one or two teams, but simply letting their personalities shine through is not a character flaw.

hi im skot
08-29-2008, 10:07 AM
Look, I don't care for Berman either; he's not funny, but he thinks he is, which means he just says more and more stupid things. However, I never got the outrage over what he said during the 2005 ALDS. So he's a Red Sox fan and was disappointed when the screwed up - who cares? He didn't affect the outcome of the game, and he wasn't even badmouthing the White Sox (which would be bad, considering the games were broadcast nationally).

Personally, I like when announcers aren't afraid to show their rooting interests. It's one thing when they allow the "national" coverage to be dominated by one or two teams, but simply letting their personalities shine through is not a character flaw.

It's one thing to hear the "homerism" on the local broadcasts, but I don't expect that from a national broadcast.

When DJ does Fox games in which the Sox are playing, he doesn't openly root for them like he does during a Comcast/WGN/WCIU game. I think that's for the best...

Save McCuddy's
08-29-2008, 10:09 AM
Girardi
Mantkiwietzctz -- as many consonants as it takes
BJ Upton
Clemens -- does he count anymore?

Vestigio
08-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Magglio Ordonez
Kelvim Escobar - "[AJ] is my enemy."
Phil Cuzzi
Hunter Wendelstat

kittle42
08-29-2008, 11:16 AM
K Rod- I love how he points to the sky as if God wanted him to strike out that player or God helped him. Yea buddy I'm sure God really is a huge Angels fan.

The same can be said of many, many athletes, inlcuding some on the Sox.

Eddo144
08-29-2008, 11:16 AM
It's one thing to hear the "homerism" on the local broadcasts, but I don't expect that from a national broadcast.

When DJ does Fox games in which the Sox are playing, he doesn't openly root for them like he does during a Comcast/WGN/WCIU game. I think that's for the best...
I don't know, I'd rather know about an announcer's or analyst's team preference, so that I can put what they say in proper context.

For example, when Troy Aikman gushes about the Cowboys, I know he's not being 100% objective and therefore I know to discount what he's saying.

I don't really think that many people across the country will start rooting against the White Sox because Berman was pulling for the Red Sox. And even if they did, who cares? They're not exactly real fans anyways.

hi im skot
08-29-2008, 11:18 AM

Are they thanking God or saluting a loved-one who died? I believe Swisher always honors his grandmother after his hits.

I don't care who or what Rodriguez is pointing to, I've just had enough of his over-the-top bull****.

ssox08
08-29-2008, 11:22 AM
screw k rod with a douch like a rod

hi im skot
08-29-2008, 11:26 AM
screw k rod with a douch like a rod

:rolling:

POTY nominee?

beasly213
08-29-2008, 11:48 AM

And I agree with you on that and am not a fan of it. And it has nothing to do with my religious feelings.

EuroSox35
08-29-2008, 01:13 PM

I don't see what that has to do with not showing the other team up. I think this was way worse then what started the Padres brawl (either last year or the year before).

cbrownson13
08-29-2008, 02:13 PM
I don't get all the Aramis Ramirez hate. Just because he watches his homeruns? Or is it just because he's a Cub?

Anyone ever watch Ken Griffey Jr. hit homeruns? He walks (used to anyways) halfway down the line before beginning his trot.

Quentin flips the bat halfway to the right field bullpen. Is he an "asswipe"? No.

You don't like the celebration, don't give up the long ball. There are plenty of guys who celebrate their homeruns in what could be considered a showmanship type way. It doesn't mean their an asswipe.

Just because he's on the north side of town doesn't mean he's an asswipe cause he watches his homeruns occasionally. And no, it's not every time.

The guy it a huge homerun in a big series. He as been ultra clutch for the Cubs this year. He's quiet and doesn't get into trouble on or off the field. Give the guy a break.

kittle42
08-29-2008, 02:30 PM
I don't get all the Aramis Ramirez hate. Just because he watches his homeruns? Or is it just because he's a Cub?

I think we know the answer. Whether or not the haters will admit it is another thing.

doublem23
08-29-2008, 03:39 PM
I think we know the answer. Whether or not the haters will admit it is another thing.

I don't really like anyone on the Cubs... Why would anyone have a problem admitting that?