PDA

View Full Version : The Twins are unbelievable..

NLaloosh
08-27-2008, 01:41 PM
How can a team with an offense of Mauer, Morneau and nobody be in the hunt for the AL playoffs ?

They must have a stellar pitching staff full of elite pitchers and savvy veterans.....like Nick Blackburn, Glen Perkins, Boof Bonser, Scott Baker etc.

Seriously, is Joe Nathan holding the whole picthing staff together ? Even he has blown 5 saves and they still won't go away.

It's truly amazing what they have done so far with so little. I know Slowey is good and Liriano is back but he's only going 5 or 6 innings.

They have few heralded pitching prospects and the lineup is just plain weak but they somehow get the job done.

hi im skot
08-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Delmon Young and Carlos Gomez are good players. The Twins always find a way to get the best out of their players. I'm not sure how they do it, but they aren't just a two man team.

jcw218
08-27-2008, 02:37 PM
The Twins rarely beat themselves and play good solid fundamental baseball.

hi im skot
08-27-2008, 02:38 PM

:hawk

"ee-yessssss!"

35th and Shields
08-27-2008, 02:41 PM
How can a team with an offense of Mauer, Morneau and nobody be in the hunt for the AL playoffs ?

They must have a stellar pitching staff full of elite pitchers and savvy veterans.....like Nick Blackburn, Glen Perkins, Boof Bonser, Scott Baker etc.

Seriously, is Joe Nathan holding the whole picthing staff together ? Even he has blown 5 saves and they still won't go away.

It's truly amazing what they have done so far with so little. I know Slowey is good and Liriano is back but he's only going 5 or 6 innings.

They have few heralded pitching prospects and the lineup is just plain weak but they somehow get the job done.

I've had the same frustrations all year. Everyone knows they have great coaches and scouts and whatever but it's amazing that they can turn absolutely nothing into gold year after year.

EndemicSox
08-27-2008, 02:52 PM
That dome is a significant advantage, can't wait till they move out...check their stats at home. For the most part, home-field advantage is a myth in today's MLB, unless you play in a dome. It helps, and it sucks for the Sox...

They have certainly played over their heads this season, but it matters not with a month or so to go...

NLaloosh
08-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Delmon Young and Carlos Gomez are good players. The Twins always find a way to get the best out of their players. I'm not sure how they do it, but they aren't just a two man team.

Both of these guys have clearly had dissapointing seasons.

gn2727
08-27-2008, 03:04 PM
:hawk

"ee-yessssss!"

Someone needs to photoshop a Twins hat on his head there......

SOX ADDICT '73
08-27-2008, 04:18 PM
The very night after the Sox's abysmal showing against the Royals allowed Minnesota to finally vault over them in the central division standings, Baseball Tonight aired a segment entitled "Why the Twins are in First Place." Though much of what they said was true (Gardenhire's a great manager, Mauer/Morneau/Nathan are solid, and "they play the game the right way" - whatever the hell that means), it was still pretty disgusting to hear those guys slobbering all over the Twins after one day in first, especially when they'd paid little or no attention to the White Sox up to that point. You could tell that ESPN had this thing in the can for some time, just waiting for the day that the Sox would falter and they could air it. In a funny twist, the Twins lost that night to put the Sox back on top, albeit by .001 percentage points (I'll take it!). The total number of days (out of 23) that Minnesota has been alone in first place since then? Four.

PatK
08-27-2008, 04:46 PM
That dome is a significant advantage, can't wait till they move out...check their stats at home. For the most part, home-field advantage is a myth in today's MLB, unless you play in a dome. It helps, and it sucks for the Sox...

They have certainly played over their heads this season, but it matters not with a month or so to go...

Is that why there are only about 4 teams with winning road records?

CHISOXFAN13
08-27-2008, 04:50 PM

The Sox have a better home record than the Twins. What's the reason then?

OldRomanPizza
08-27-2008, 05:00 PM
, Baseball Tonight aired a segment entitled "Why the Twins are in First Place."

The Twins will always get this type of coverage because they are a small market team and its always a story when a small market team is at or near the top. Notice when we get national attention, it always seems to be about "competiting for attention in their own city" rather than "look at how the White Sox are doing in the AL Central" The national media seems to have the same "angles" they use to report stories, and they are very tiresome.

I remember a Bears Bucs game back in the day where the Bears were in first by a half game or something. Pat Summerall beging the game by saying "if Tampa Bay wins...they go into first place." but never did he mention "if the Bears win...they STAY in first place".

Chicago is sort of a national media no man's land, unless you are the Cubs. We're not East Coast and not small market...so...nobody wants to hear about us. I couldnt care less though.

Eddo144
08-27-2008, 05:24 PM
Young: .284/.329/.399, 8 HR, 57 RBI, 14/18 SB
Those are atrocious power numbers (slugging below .400, really?) for a corner outfielder. The Twins have definitely not gotten the best of Young's ability this year.

Gomez: .255/.291/.346, 6 HR, 38 RBI, 27/37 SB
Those are atrocious on-base numbers (OBP below .300, really?) for a guy Gardenhire insisted on leading off much of the year. For all his speed, he only has 27 steals and a modest 73% percentage. The Twins had better hope that they can get more out of Gomez in the coming years, or he'll never live up to his billing.

hi im skot
08-27-2008, 05:34 PM
Young: .284/.329/.399, 8 HR, 57 RBI, 14/18 SB
Those are atrocious power numbers (slugging below .400, really?) for a corner outfielder. The Twins have definitely not gotten the best of Young's ability this year.

Gomez: .255/.291/.346, 6 HR, 38 RBI, 27/37 SB
Those are atrocious on-base numbers (OBP below .300, really?) for a guy Gardenhire insisted on leading off much of the year. For all his speed, he only has 27 steals and a modest 73% percentage. The Twins had better hope that they can get more out of Gomez in the coming years, or he'll never live up to his billing.

You're right on both players. I knew Young was struggling, but I didn't realize he was doing that poorly.

****, I don't know how they're winning, then... :shrug:

turners56
08-27-2008, 05:37 PM

You'd think the Twins are a terrible team if you were just a casual fan. But if you were a person who knows his baseball, you'd know Boof Bonser isn't starting anymore (he sucks) and that Scott Baker, Nick Blackburn, and Francisco Liriano are all above-average starters. Slowey and Perkins are also above average, but they're not as consistent. The Twins' ERA is not that pretty sitting at around 4.15, but they get just enough offense to win.

The Twins also have some talented players outside of Morneau and Mauer. Young is a good example. Most of their talent is in the rotation though.

turners56
08-27-2008, 05:38 PM

Gomez = bad hitter, bad defender.

TDog
08-27-2008, 05:50 PM

That's the myth, anyway.

They have won some sloppy games this year against teams that are languishing in last place. There were games against the Royals and Mariners where it certainly looked like they were going to beat themselves. And against the Mariners during an earlier roadtrip, they did beat themselves.

Gardenhire isn't any more a great manager than Guillen is. They do things differently, of course. Gardenhire bats his backup catcher third when he is resting his former btting champion regular catcher who typically bats third. Sometimes he will have his backup catcher in the game as the DH. When he makes moves, they work out more often than with most managers, even when the moves seem to be against the percentages. The Twins' averages with runners in scoring position is remarkable, so much so that it may appear they play baseball the right way even when tney are playing no differently than other team.

Thw Twins are contending because they have players having great seasons.and they are winning games. Having Nathan to shorten the game helps (although, like Bobby Jenks, he blew a save to the Royals, granted the defense was probably more to blame in Nathan's case.)

Bobby Jenks
08-27-2008, 06:46 PM
Gomez = bad hitter, bad defender.

I will give you the hitter,but a bad fielder? Maybe i'm missing something

Eddo144
08-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Honestly, I couldn't tell you for sure whether he's a good fielder or not. But being fast does not make you a good centerfielder, so if that's all you're basing your opinion on, you very well may be wrong.

IlliniSox4Life
08-27-2008, 07:03 PM

The Angels are the only team in the AL with a winning road record. Kansas City and Seattle are the only teams in the AL with losing home records (And their respective home records are still better than their road records).

edit: Forgot to mention that Tampa Bay, who is one of those dome teams, has the second best road record in the AL, at .500.

St. Louis and San Francisco are the only teams in all of baseball with better road records than home records. And they are pretty close.

35th and Shields
08-27-2008, 07:11 PM

From what I've seen he doesn't get good reads off the bat at all but does have excellent makeup speed and pretty good arm. I'd call him average

hellview
08-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Gomez's zone ratings are the best among AL CF. He can't hit for jack, but he can play defense.

hellview
08-27-2008, 10:05 PM
The very night after the Sox's abysmal showing against the Royals allowed Minnesota to finally vault over them in the central division standings, Baseball Tonight aired a segment entitled "Why the Twins are in First Place." Though much of what they said was true (Gardenhire's a great manager, Mauer/Morneau/Nathan are solid, and "they play the game the right way" - whatever the hell that means), it was still pretty disgusting to hear those guys slobbering all over the Twins after one day in first, especially when they'd paid little or no attention to the White Sox up to that point. You could tell that ESPN had this thing in the can for some time, just waiting for the day that the Sox would falter and they could air it. In a funny twist, the Twins lost that night to put the Sox back on top, albeit by .001 percentage points (I'll take it!). The total number of days (out of 23) that Minnesota has been alone in first place since then? Four.

Thank god someone finally shinned a light on that ESPN/Minnesota Twins conspiracy.

Bastards...

oeo
08-27-2008, 10:08 PM
You're right on both players. I knew Young was struggling, but I didn't realize he was doing that poorly.

****, I don't know how they're winning, then... :shrug:

They've gotten production out of guys that came from nowhere (as usual) in Span and Casilla.

I'm really getting sick of hearing how Gomez is such a good player, though. Yeah, he's only 22 and he can definitely get better, but right now all he's shown is that he's extremely fast. That's it, and that's all. The guy is living off of Johan Santana. If he wasn't acquired in that trade, I seriously doubt he would even be with the big league club right now...and he certainly wouldn't be getting this kind of hype.

From what I've seen he doesn't get good reads off the bat at all but does have excellent makeup speed and pretty good arm. I'd call him average

Very strong arm with no accuracy, which makes it pretty much useless.

hellview
08-27-2008, 10:14 PM
The guy is living off of Johan Santana. If he wasn't acquired in that trade, I seriously doubt he would even be with the big league club right now...and he certainly wouldn't be getting this kind of hype.

I know...nevermind the fact that he was a top 40 prospect in 2007. He's garbage right now, but to say the guy is living off Johan (which makes no sense) is foolish.

EuroSox35
08-27-2008, 10:17 PM

It's well deserved, they got ripped more than the Sox for not ponying up to keep Santana. The Sox got ripped for their ["non"]moves, but you heard a ton of outlets (especially nationally) that were picking the Sox for being a surprise team

What's the excuse when it's KC, Texas, or been Oakland in past years. A lot of teams are good at home and a lot of teams are ****ty on the road this year

oeo
08-27-2008, 10:17 PM
I know...nevermind the fact that he was a top 40 prospect in 2007. He's garbage right now, but to say the guy is living off Johan (which makes no sense) is foolish.

How does it make no sense? He was acquired in the Johan Santana deal, which means he has to have talent. He better be playing right now because the Twins gave up arguably the best pitcher in the game to get him. Like I said, I don't think he cracks the Twins roster if he's not acquired in that deal.

And a Top 40 prospect? Oooh. That's reason to call him a good MLB player.

EDIT: BTW, Baseball America ranked him #60...Ryan Sweeney was at #55. Where's his hype machine? Other Sox ranked ahead of him: John Danks (still underrated) and Josh Fields.

hellview
08-27-2008, 10:19 PM
How does it make no sense? He was acquired in the Johan Santana deal, which means he has to have talent. He better be playing right now because the Twins gave up arguably the best pitcher in the game to get him.

And a Top 40 prospect? Oooh. That's reason to call him a good MLB player.

Who are you talking about, who's calling Gomez a good baseball player?

Hawk?!?! Do you really pay attention to anything that moron has to say. I don't hear anyone national talk about Gomez.

Some of you guys just make up a reason to hate...calm down.

hellview
08-27-2008, 10:22 PM
where is this hype machine you speak of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oeo
08-27-2008, 10:30 PM
where is this hype machine you speak of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm the one who's not calm?

Just look at this thread...you don't think he's hyped? Someone called him a 'good player' until they realized how bad he's been this year. You called him one of the best prospects in the game. There are many guys on that BA list that have actual success in the major leagues and you don't hear nearly as much about them. Josh Fields was ahead of him, and people around here have more confidence that Carlos Gomez (who has shown nothing but an extremely weak bat and great speed) has better potential. How else do people get that kind of feeling without hype?

hellview
08-27-2008, 10:32 PM
I'm the one who's not calm?

Just look at this thread...you don't think he's hyped? Someone called him a 'good player' until they realized how bad he's been this year. You called him one of the best prospects in the game. There are many guys on that BA list that have actual success in the major leagues and you don't hear nearly as much about them.

WOW?!?!?

Is that really the hype machine or a missinformed poster. Someone also said Delmon Young is having a good season when he's not.

Some people just pay attention to players when they play the Sox and based off that Gomez is good cause he's played well against the Sox.

I didn't call him one of the best prospects in the game, I said Baseball America ranked him highly in their 2007 rankings...long before he was traded for Johan. And he was ranked highly.

I didn't know posters on a white sox message board was the hype machine.

My god man...

oeo
08-27-2008, 10:34 PM
WOW?!?!?

Is that really the hype machine or a missinformed poster. Someone also said Delmon Young is having a good season when he's not.

Some people just pay attention to players when they play the Sox and based off that Gomez is good cause he's played well against the Sox.

I didn't call him one of the best prospects in the game, I said Baseball America ranked him highly in their 2007 rankings...long before he was traded for Johan. And he was ranked highly.

I didn't know posters on a white sox message board was the hype machine.

My god man...

Wow, right back at you. Read my post again. I did not say WSI posters were hyping him, I said it's the hype he's gotten that have gotten people to the feeling that he's a 'good player.'

hellview
08-27-2008, 10:36 PM
Wow, right back at you. Read my post again. I did not say WSI posters were hyping him, I said it's the hype he's gotten that have gotten people to the feeling that he's a 'good player.'

Well then tell me who's hyping him?

ESPN, FOX, SI...who?

oeo
08-27-2008, 10:39 PM
Well then tell me who's hyping him?

ESPN, FOX, SI...who?

The Twins themselves, Ron Gardenhire, ESPN. Then you've got Hawk calling him Rickey Henderson, which I'll agree with you, is probably the reason people around here think he's good.

What has he done this year for the Twins to solidify at a starting CF job? You don't think that's a way to try to get Twins fans to forget Santana?

hellview
08-27-2008, 10:44 PM
The Twins themselves, Ron Gardenhire, ESPN. Then you've got Hawk calling him Rickey Henderson, which I'll agree with you, is probably the reason people around here think he's good.

What has he done this year for the Twins to solidify at a starting CF job? You don't think that's a way to try to get Twins fans to forget Santana?

Yeah cause Gomez is gonna make Twins fans forget about Johan's Cy Youngs and great seasons in Minnesota.

And what the hell do you expect a manager to say about one of his players. "Yeah he looks like crap out there and I'd kill to have Johan back" I'm sure Gardenhire is gonna say that after a game.

As for Hawk...come on.

As for ESPN when did they "hype" Gomez. Cause ESPN spends so much time on the Twins and the rare times they cause about them it's all Mauer, Morneau or Nathan.

oeo
08-27-2008, 10:49 PM
Yeah cause Gomez is gonna make Twins fans forget about Johan's Cy Youngs and great seasons in Minnesota.

Isn't that the kind of talent you're supposed to get back? The market for Santana was disappointing because he demanded a contract extension as part of the deal. I still think they could have gotten more.

And what the hell do you expect a manager to say about one of his players. "Yeah he looks like crap out there and I'd kill to have Johan back" I'm sure Gardenhire is gonna say that after a game.I don't expect him to say bad things. I also don't expect him to lead off for half the year when he's stinking up the joint. What did Gomez do to justify that, or even to still be starting (unless they have no one else, which I can't believe because they always have someone). They could put Kubel in the outfield, move Span to CF, and add another real bat.

As for Hawk...come on.Agreed, but that's the reason people here think he's a good player, which ultimately lead us to this debate.

As for ESPN when did they "hype" Gomez. Cause ESPN spends so much time on the Twins and the rare times they cause about them it's all Mauer, Morneau or Nathan.Ever watch BBTN earlier this year? Back in May when he actually didn't suck for a few weeks, yeah, the hype was seeping through. Yeah, they're morons, but people listen.

SOX ADDICT '73
08-27-2008, 11:39 PM
Thank god someone finally shinned a light on that ESPN/Minnesota Twins conspiracy.

Bastards...

Hey, I was merely "shinning" a light on the fact that ESPN didn't even wait to see if the Twins could hang onto first place for 24 whole hours before extolling their praises.

Great contribution to the thread, though.

JUribe1989
08-28-2008, 03:08 AM
His name is Denard Span, and he's singlehandedly keeping the Twins in the race. It's really impressive.

turners56
08-28-2008, 07:16 AM
Gomez's zone ratings are the best among AL CF. He can't hit for jack, but he can play defense.

Zone rating doesn't mean **** when used alone. There is no perfect statistic for defense. Gomez is fast, that's about it. He has terrible judgement of the ball over his head though. You watched those games in Anaheim, how can you possibly call him a good center fielder?

hellview
08-28-2008, 11:05 AM
You watched those games in Anaheim, how can you possibly call him a good center fielder?

So I'm suppose to judge a players defense on a 1-2 game sample?

Zone rating is the best defensive metric there is. According to that Gomez is one of the better CF gloves in the league.

turners56
08-28-2008, 03:00 PM
So I'm suppose to judge a players defense on a 1-2 game sample?

Zone rating is the best defensive metric there is. According to that Gomez is one of the better CF gloves in the league.

+/- is better.

It's not just a 1-2 game sample, and it wasn't just one play. Gomez has trouble judging the ball over his head, that's a problem.

doublem23
08-28-2008, 03:38 PM
Zone rating is the best defensive metric there is.

That still doesn't make it any good.

Wow, it's better then fielding percentage. :party:

D'Sphitz
08-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Despite being young, the Twins are much more solid than they get credit for.

Their 5 starters are all solid, above average pitchers, nobody with an ERA over 4. Baker has really stepped it up this year, and Liriano has been phenomenal since his return.

Five people in their lineup are batting over .300, three more are batting .275 or more (even Punto is pushing .300 this season). The only weak spot in the order is Gomez, who will probably grab some bench when Cuddyer comes back (if he is back this season at all, not sure on his status). With a solid lineup like that it's not hard to put together a few hits and score some runs.

The bullpen is a different story, aside from Nathan it has been terrible recently and the bullpen can be blamed for many of their recent losses. If Neshak weren't hurt earlier this season there is no doubt MN would be in comfortably in 1st place right now. They just picked up Guardado, who knows how that will help he's had a rough year hmself.

hellview
08-28-2008, 06:34 PM
+/- is better.

It's not just a 1-2 game sample, and it wasn't just one play. Gomez has trouble judging the ball over his head, that's a problem.

tehn what's his +/- rating slick...

turners56
08-28-2008, 06:47 PM
tehn what's his +/- rating slick...

They only come out with those after the year is over. I don't think Gomez played enough games to be on it last year.

Here (http://www.billjamesonline.net/fieldingbible/2007-plus-minus-leaders.asp)were last year's.

The stat is more of an objective stat, meaning it's based on the observer's opinion. However, on defense, not every ball is hit the same way. You can have a line drive in a fielder's zone or you can have a lazy fly in that zone. Therefore, zone rating doesn't account for how hard the ball was hit and etc. This does.

Red Barchetta
08-29-2008, 01:19 PM
I love Ozzie, however I think Gardenhire is one of the best managers in the game. I wonder what he could do with the Yankees or Red Sox payroll.

jabrch
08-29-2008, 02:01 PM
I love Ozzie, however I think Gardenhire is one of the best managers in the game. I wonder what he could do with the Yankees or Red Sox payroll.

I wonder if his "schtick" would go over well with a bunch of guys worth 100,000,000+

chaerulez
08-29-2008, 02:06 PM
Both of these guys have clearly had dissapointing seasons.

They are highly touted prospects, but still young kids. No the numbers they have put up are below league average, but it's a lot of pressure to throw 22 year olds into the fire like this. Not many have that talent, not everyone is a Evan Longoria. I don't think the seasons are disappointing, I hope no one expected them to hit .300 and hit 25 HRs, those are unfair expectations. I would say they are just going through growing pains at this point. Now if they produce the same season two years from now, then yeah, that'd be disappointing.

Eddo144
08-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Basically, every thing Ozzie does that frustrates people is worse in Gardenhire.

Favoring certain players despite said players being worse than other options? Check. (See: Nick Punto)

Batting free-swinging, low-OBP guys at the top of the order? Check. (See: Carlos Gomez, Nick Punto)

Overvaluing speed when the player in question doesn't get on base enough to make good use of his speed? Check. (See: Carlos Gomez)

Putting together odd lineups and pitching matchups because of lefty/righty cominbations? Check. (See: Nick Morneau hitting fifth because Gardenhire didn't want two lefties in a row)

Eddo144
08-29-2008, 02:08 PM
They are highly touted prospects, but still young kids. No the numbers they have put up are below league average, but it's a lot of pressure to throw 22 year olds into the fire like this. Not many have that talent, not everyone is a Evan Longoria. I don't think the seasons are disappointing, I hope no one expected them to hit .300 and hit 25 HRs, those are unfair expectations. I would say they are just going through growing pains at this point. Now if they produce the same season two years from now, then yeah, that'd be disappointing.
I'll give you Gomez (though his numbers have been absolutely terrible, not just disappointing), but Young had already played in 192 games and had 812 plate appearances at the major league level before this year. He was not thrown into the fire this year.

hellview
09-02-2008, 04:40 PM
+/- is better.

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/dialed_in/discussion/al_defensive_stats_through_august_7/

Funny Gomez leading the leauge....

hellview-1
turners56-0