PDA

View Full Version : Kid selling candy in Lot G at games

twentywontowin
08-27-2008, 12:52 PM
I meant to post this before, but forgot until someone reminded me about it. Not sure if it's totally Sox related, but it is game-day related. Please move if necessary.

If you every tailgate in Lot G, I'm sure you've seen this kid, seems like he is at every game. Bad teeth, and trying to raise money for "his baseball team". His mom is usually with him.

Last game we were at, he was without his mom, trying to sell 10 packs of Orbit gum (obviously not a fundraiser pack with the price tag on it), and trying to haggle on the price. When we wouldn't buy any, he told us to "go **** yourself."

My buddy who is a cop told me the kid steals the candy, and is most likely selling it to get his mom drug money. They have caught him several times for theft.

So unless you like buying stolen candy and supporting a drug habit, I recommend not giving this kid any cash.

The Thomenator
08-27-2008, 12:59 PM
The first time I met this kid, he was collecting money to be donated the the St. Jude Children's Hospital. With it being my favorite charity, I threw the kid a $20. A buddy of mine did the same and we soon there after came to the conclusion that we got scammed. Karma= the Sox won that day and he has really bad teeth.

hi im skot
08-27-2008, 12:59 PM
So unless you like buying stolen candy and supporting a drug habit, I recommend not giving this kid any cash.

But if I do like it it's cool, right?

twentywontowin
08-27-2008, 01:00 PM
But if I do like it it's cool, right?

I mean if you like donating your money to meth, by all means go for it.

I thought it would be a friendly heads-up to tailgaters so they don't get scammed.

Konerko05
08-27-2008, 01:01 PM
The first time I met this kid, he was collecting money to be donated the the St. Jude Children's Hospital. With it being my favorite charity, I threw the kid a $20. A buddy of mine did the same and we soon there after came to the conclusion that we got scammed. Karma= the Sox won that day and he has really bad teeth.

That is pretty much always a scam.

hi im skot
08-27-2008, 01:03 PM

I thought it would be a friendly heads-up to tailgaters so they don't get scammed.

I'm just being obnoxious. I haven't bumped into this kid before...sounds like he got screwed in the parental lottery.

fugazis
08-27-2008, 01:13 PM
I not cell can d for krac. mama need to put fud on tay bull.

PorkChopExpress
08-27-2008, 01:37 PM
He probably used to work as a software engineer over at Intertrode. :cool:

thomas35forever
08-27-2008, 01:46 PM
A kid like this also reminds me of people who pop up all over the city trying to hand people flyers and newspapers and stuff.

Anyway, never give money to these people. It's all a scam, even with those that appear the nicest.

Konerko05
08-27-2008, 01:50 PM
A kid like this also reminds me of people who pop up all over the city trying to hand people flyers and newspapers and stuff.

Anyway, never give money to these people. It's all a scam, even with those that appear the nicest.

The funny part is, if you take a flyer, they will not stop following you until you give them money or give the flyer back.

getonbckthr
08-27-2008, 01:50 PM

What if I view it as a donation to ridding the world of one more scumbag?

TomBradley72
08-27-2008, 02:04 PM
I not cell can d for krac. mama need to put fud on tay bull.

Is this supposed to be funny?

Iwritecode
08-27-2008, 02:06 PM
He probably used to work as a software engineer over at Intertrode. :cool:

Good evening Sir, my name is Steve. I come from a rough area. I used to be addicted to crack but now I am off it and trying to stay clean. That is why I am selling magazine subscriptions.

twentywontowin
08-27-2008, 02:06 PM
What if I view it as a donation to ridding the world of one more scumbag?

By all means, empty your wallet.

hi im skot
08-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Good evening Sir, my name is Steve. I come from a rough area. I used to be addicted to crack but now I am off it and trying to stay clean. That is why I am selling magazine subscriptions.

What am I supposed to do with 40 subscriptions to Vibe?

Tekijawa
08-27-2008, 02:16 PM
If he said something cute Like "WOOO WHITE WOOOO SOX". He could use the money to buy lottery tickets, get lemmings to buy him new teeth, and go to every Sox game for Free. He could milk it for all it was worth and be cherished among the fan base. When he didn't show up people would write newspaper articles, rumors of his death would spread like wildfire and millions of people make plans for a memorial...

Instead he just says "go **** yourself" and people think he's a piece of ****... and so goes the story of Lot G Woo Woo.

jenn2080
08-27-2008, 02:17 PM
I meant to post this before, but forgot until someone reminded me about it. Not sure if it's totally Sox related, but it is game-day related. Please move if necessary.

If you every tailgate in Lot G, I'm sure you've seen this kid, seems like he is at every game. Bad teeth, and trying to raise money for "his baseball team". His mom is usually with him.

Last game we were at, he was without his mom, trying to sell 10 packs of Orbit gum (obviously not a fundraiser pack with the price tag on it), and trying to haggle on the price. When we wouldn't buy any, he told us to "go **** yourself."

My buddy who is a cop told me the kid steals the candy, and is most likely selling it to get his mom drug money. They have caught him several times for theft.

They are also in lot b. I always tell them to go away. Most of the time the mom stay outside of the parking lot while the kid walks around. The park has told her she is not allowed on the grounds. She has her kid sell candy for her crack problem. ****ing trash bags. Last time the mom was there I told her she needed to get out of her and she called me a bitch and a few other things.

MsSoxVixen22
08-27-2008, 02:24 PM
They are also in lot b. I always tell them to go away. Most of the time the mom stay outside of the parking lot while the kid walks around. The park has told her she is not allowed on the grounds. She has her kid sell candy for her crack problem. ****ing trash bags. Last time the mom was there I told her she needed to get out of her and she called me a bitch and a few other things.

That's terrible! You shouldn't have to put up with that, while you're trying to tailgate and have a good time. I feel bad for the kid though. His Mom would be better off going to rehab, instead of forcing her son to help support her drug habit.

Rocky Soprano
08-27-2008, 02:27 PM
Elvis Night there were a couple of "kids" who were trying to raise money for their basketball team. I just ignored them.
I'm so sure that their coach had them out at 11pm trying to raise money.

Cat Thief
08-27-2008, 02:31 PM
Getting on 57 at Halsted on my way to the Cell is always entertaining. There are kids there that are always trying to raise money for their baseball team, except they have different uniforms and hats all the time. They aren't even selling anything, they just want the green. If I ignore them they knock on my window.

:club:

Tekijawa
08-27-2008, 02:37 PM
Getting on 57 at Halsted on my way to the Cell is always entertaining. There are kids there that are always trying to raise money for their baseball team, except they have different uniforms and hats all the time. They aren't even selling anything, they just want the green. If I ignore them they knock on my window.

:club:

Were their names Jokim, Tyrus, and Derrick? if so their team does need help!

SOXPHILE
08-27-2008, 02:43 PM
It's the same when I sometimes I see kids standing outside of Jewel with some boxes of M&M's, selling them. They're either raising money for their "baseball team" or their "youth group". I've asked them what their team is and what league they're in, or what youth group is that ? Without fail, the answer usually is "uhhhhh...mmmm..one in the city".

kittle42
08-27-2008, 02:44 PM
What am I supposed to do with 40 subscriptions to Vibe?

Just give me the name of one drug dealer...I have good people skills.

Lundind1
08-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Wow, I am gonna seem like I have no tolerance on here.

I cannot stand when this happens. There are friggin security guards everywhere in that darned place (parking lot) and they can't keep the morons away. I just don't get it. What a face they put on our city to the fans from outa town who want to see a game here.

It is just like "Chief Screaming Bum" who hangs out at the corner of 35th and Shields. He yelled at me the other day....again......saying that I didn't look like I have missed a meal.

That really looks bad. Maybe we should make "Chief Screaming Bum" our unofficial assclown.

WhiffleBall
08-27-2008, 03:35 PM
I've seen that kid with the bad teeth quite a few times in lot B. The father was with him the last time they stopped by our tailgate. They had a clip board and were asking for donations for some charity. I think they bring the kid along for sympathy and it sure does work. They must have made at least $50 just from the tailgates by us the first time I saw them (which I think was 2005).

I guess it's a pretty common practice amongst petty con artists in Chicago. I've seen these types of people on L stops which have many drunk 20 somethings waiting for trains. Ask them for any kind of identification and they immediately get pretty nasty. These are probably the same people standing by the expressway offramps. I consider them our own version of the gypsies you find in most major European cities.

kevingrt
08-27-2008, 03:42 PM
I have seen that kid before but I have seen other kids around there as well. It's tough to tell who is telling the truth and who isn't.

One I remember distinctly is on July 4th there was a guy selling White Sox hats. He was rather hilarious and was selling hats for $15 a piece having $5 go to charity or something. Seemed semi legit. He was hilarious though.

PatK
08-27-2008, 03:48 PM
I'm sick of seeing crap like that in the lots.

Personally, no solicitors of ANY type shouldn't be allowed in the lots.

If I'm going to give to charity, I'll do it on my own time with a charity I want to support.

I don't need people coming up to me and interrupting my good time by trying to lay a guilt trip on me, or insult me.

Frontman
08-27-2008, 03:49 PM
I've actually seen this scam around the retail areas in Orland. One of the nice side effects of my employee ID is that they see an offical looking name ID, they think cop and at the very least leave me alone; at the best they pack up and get out.

Now if we could just find a way of scaring off the scammers selling the "10 oil changes for 30 bucks" routine; it would be golden.

pdimas
08-27-2008, 04:38 PM
The security guards have told us he also buys peanuts from the vendors and then sells them for more. They were also impressed at how well the kid has his routine down because whenever they cornered him he always had an alibi. I wonder if the woman and little boy are related to the father and daughters that used to pull this scam last year.

Having tailgated all but 3 games this year we see them a lot and by now they know to leave us alone.

The Critic
08-27-2008, 04:42 PM
Wow, I am gonna seem like I have no tolerance on here.

I cannot stand when this happens. There are friggin security guards everywhere in that darned place (parking lot) and they can't keep the morons away. I just don't get it. What a face they put on our city to the fans from outa town who want to see a game here.

It is just like "Chief Screaming Bum" who hangs out at the corner of 35th and Shields. He yelled at me the other day....again......saying that I didn't look like I have missed a meal.

That really looks bad. Maybe we should make "Chief Screaming Bum" our unofficial assclown.

If he says that again, tell him you had two meals and between both of you that averages out to one each.
:D:

Sargeant79
08-27-2008, 04:44 PM
This kind of stuff isn't always the parents making them do it, although it may be in this case. Kids who are raised around people that hustle for everything learn at a very young age that this is an acceptable way to get money and because of their youth, can be really good at it. The "I'm collecting for my baseball team/basketball team/church/etc" scam is one that a lot of kids have figured out they can make a lot of money doing.

WhiteSox5187
08-27-2008, 07:34 PM

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:xmA_wXm2pQ8kGM:http://studio2628.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/homer_simpson31.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://studio2628.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/homer_simpson31.jpg&imgrefurl=http://studio2628.wordpress.com/2008/04/10/homer-simpson-my-hero-my-idol/&h=303&w=300&sz=14&hl=en&start=9&usg=__kDC38yoPSNt3pWzykHEP-lwytrA=&tbnid=xmA_wXm2pQ8kGM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=115&prev=/images%3Fq%3DHomer%2BSimpson%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%2 6safe%3Doff)
Mmmmm....stolen candy.

skottyj242
08-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Jenn's brother works at a grocery store and people come in all the time and load up carts of the candy and just walk out. It's all profit for them. I never give them anything but at least you're getting something for your money. It's better than the guy that always bothers me for a smoke and cash everyday down here.

spongyfungy
08-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Jenn's brother works at a grocery store and people come in all the time and load up carts of the candy and just walk out. It's all profit for them. I never give them anything but at least you're getting something for your money. It's better than the guy that always bothers me for a smoke and cash everyday down here.

For me, I just don't like the fact that I'm being lied to. I'd rather them tell me it's to support his mom's meth addiction.

I drive around all around the city for my job and these guys are everywhere selling Airhead candies, giving out these fake leaflets about some charity.

I much more respect the bottle water guys out on the medians. They make $20 profit for every case and there is no BS about it.

doublem23
08-28-2008, 11:23 AM
This thread has been on a slow and steady decline since people stopped posting Office Space quotes. What have we learned? If it looks like a scam, smells like a scam, and moves like a scam, it probably is a scam? I believe by the time people start using the internet their opinion of peddlers is already established; those that are going to give a guy a buck will and those that aren't won't, no matter how much anecdotal evidence the other side provides.

It's nice that this thread has been so civil. We laughed, we cried, but now it's time to move on to new and better topics of discussion.