PDA

View Full Version : Posnanski on the Cubs

areilly
08-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Wish I'd discovered this man's writing sooner:

Si.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/joe_posnanski/08/27/playoffs.cubs/index.html?eref=T1)

soxpride724
08-27-2008, 01:10 PM
Good read, I just wish more poeple on the national level shared this guys insights!

UofCSoxFan
08-27-2008, 01:20 PM

Si.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/joe_posnanski/08/27/playoffs.cubs/index.html?eref=T1)

He just recently started writing for SI.com but he has had a blog for awhile (do a google search for his name). It is very good. He writes a lot about his home town team, the KC Royals, so in some ways his talent is being wasted (although being picked up by SI may change that). He recently wrote an article about Craig Biggio being the best player of his generation and it was pretty eye opening. I'm not sure if I agree with it, but it definitely has me considering him.

russ99
08-27-2008, 01:43 PM
Nice read, but why no mention of the Sox in the playoffs??

Also, count me in the "Ryne Sandberg is the Devil" column... :D:

doublem23
08-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Posnanski is hands down the best baseball writer in the country right now.

ImaGrinder
08-27-2008, 02:05 PM
Good article, but I'm not sure what the point of it was.

Cardinals and Sox fans hate Cub fans? I had no idea...

Eddo144
08-27-2008, 02:23 PM
Posnanski is hands down the best baseball writer in the country right now.
Hell, Posnanski is hands down the best writer in the country right now.

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2008/01/25/stupid-little-stuff-that-makes-life-better/

white sox bill
08-27-2008, 02:40 PM
And why, pray tell, is Sandberg "the Devil" I know he had a ton of basket HR's at the urinal. I always thought he was pretty quiet modest kind. That and he beats the living hell out of Ray Ray

Iwritecode
08-27-2008, 02:52 PM
Good article, but I'm not sure what the point of it was.

Cardinals and Sox fans hate Cub fans? I had no idea...

Well, if you're from the Midwest, it's pretty common knowledge.

If you're from one of the coasts and don't realize we even exist, you probably think that EVERYONE loves the Cubs.

The Sox/Cubs rivalry is not very well understood outside the fans of either team.

Konerko05
08-27-2008, 02:59 PM
No mention of the Sox as a playoff contender turned me off a little bit.

Just another article about the Cubs. I don't see what is so great about it.

hi im skot
08-27-2008, 03:05 PM

His blog has some choice words for Hawk and DJ. Didn't really seem to care for AJ, either.

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2008/08/25/he-long-gone/

I dunno, even after setting my Sox fandom aside, I'm not super-impressed... :shrug:

asindc
08-27-2008, 03:06 PM

If you're from one of the coasts and don't realize we even exist, you probably think that EVERYONE loves the Cubs.

The Sox/Cubs rivalry is not very well understood outside the fans of either team.

Very true. I was at a party a few months after the Sox won it in 2005, sitting next to a DC native. On the other side of him was a Cubs fan from Chicago. Somehow, the discussion turned toward the Sox and I mentioned that I am a Sox fan. The Cubs fan then noted she was a Cubs fan.

The DC guy then asked us, how could we both not root for both teams? We both told him in no uncertain terms that that would be like 'Skins fans rooting for the Ravens, since they both play in the Balt/Wash area. He still didn't get it. Finally, I said you just have to be there to understand.

Most people out here have NO idea how deep the rivalry runs. Out here, most people think the Yanks/Mets rivalry is more intense. I can tell you from much interaction with both Yankees fans and Mets fans (I married one) over the years, their rivalry is not even close to being as intense as Sox/Cubs.

PatK
08-27-2008, 04:40 PM
I love when it's obvious who the Cubs fans are with the comments on peoples' blogs.

white sox bill
08-27-2008, 05:11 PM
I think its gotten out of hand, thanks to both sides. The cub fans for their condescending attitudes not to mention the bandwagon "non-fan" fan.
Us Sox fans for our inability to comment on cubdumb and not say something offensive. I look at most of my cub fans and they are so tolerate of my berating. They seem to take it all in stride. We're not such a lovable bunch

PatK
08-27-2008, 05:42 PM
I think its gotten out of hand, thanks to both sides. The cub fans for their condescending attitudes not to mention the bandwagon "non-fan" fan.
Us Sox fans for our inability to comment on cubdumb and not say something offensive. I look at most of my cub fans and they are so tolerate of my berating. They seem to take it all in stride. We're not such a lovable bunch

Yes, but we don't claim to be "loveable".

DrCrawdad
08-27-2008, 11:59 PM

You are wrong on that bold comment.

Can you tell me of a single prominent Sox fan, let alone columnist and religious leader who's smeared Cubbie fans like Andrew Greeley repeatedly does Sox fans?

Smears on Sox fans are part of the accepted language of Cubbie fans. On the other hand, comparable smears will get you banned here and I can't ever remember them printed in a newspaper column, written by a religious leader.

areilly
08-28-2008, 12:32 AM
Yes, but we don't claim to be "loveable".

I will gladly self-identify as despicable and militant in my baseball loyalties.

CubKilla
08-28-2008, 12:47 AM
Don't let one anti-Cubs article fool you. Posnanski is a tool.

Konerko05
08-28-2008, 01:39 AM
Don't let one anti-Cubs article fool you. Posnanski is a tool.

It wasn't even an anti-Cubs article. A couple of their rivals' fans dislike the Cubs. I don't see how that can really be news to anyone.

The rest of it was more of a fluff piece saying the post season will be all about the Cubs.

There is also the fact that the writer seems to think the White Sox are too insignificant to even mention as a post season contender.

doublem23
08-28-2008, 02:07 AM
It wasn't even an anti-Cubs article. A couple of their rivals' fans dislike the Cubs. I don't see how that can really be news to anyone.

The rest of it was more of a fluff piece saying the post season will be all about the Cubs.

There is also the fact that the writer seems to think the White Sox are too insignificant to even mention as a post season contender.

1) Did you not read the thing? People here in the Midwest know how much the Cubs are loathed; he aimed this at folks out East who think that everyone west of Hudson River fawns over the Lovable Losers. Granted, I haven't run across many East Coasters in my day, but the few I have encountered do believe that the Cubs are universally beloved, especially in Chicago.

2) If the Cubs roll into the play-offs the way they are right now, this postseason will be the postseason of the Cubs; if they win, it'll be their curse-breaker, when they choke, it'll be remembered the same way '03 was.

Konerko05
08-28-2008, 02:17 AM
1) Did you not read the thing? People here in the Midwest know how much the Cubs are loathed; he aimed this at folks out East who think that everyone west of Hudson River fawns over the Lovable Losers. Granted, I haven't run across many East Coasters in my day, but the few I have encountered do believe that the Cubs are universally beloved, especially in Chicago.

2) If the Cubs roll into the play-offs the way they are right now, this postseason will be the postseason of the Cubs; if they win, it'll be their curse-breaker, when they choke, it'll be remembered the same way '03 was.

Yes, I read the whole article.

Fans of the division rival Cardinals and Brewers hate the Cubs. People think that Brewers and Cardinals fans root for the Cubs? I could see people not knowing White Sox fans dislike the Cubs, but does that really make it an anti- Cubs article?

The whole paragraph saying "they've got.... they've got... they've got...." is very pro- Cubs. He is just fueling the whole "post season of the Cubs" crap. Sorry. Article sucks.

white sox bill
08-28-2008, 06:45 AM
You are wrong on that bold comment.

Can you tell me of a single prominent Sox fan, let alone columnist and religious leader who's smeared Cubbie fans like Andrew Greeley repeatedly does Sox fans?

Smears on Sox fans are part of the accepted language of Cubbie fans. On the other hand, comparable smears will get you banned here and I can't ever remember them printed in a newspaper column, written by a religious leader.

Not in these parts Doc. Brooks Boyer told me via email that the Sox don't even bother marketing here in NW Illinois because of the endless numbers of cub fans. Since I'm away from the Chi town area, I can't speak for that sectar. The local paper has its orgasm over anything cub and I usually chime in with some smart a** remark about that pathetic franchise in the comments area and rarely if ever has anyone replied back to my crass statement.

The Greeley thing, well that guy has issues.

RadioheadRocks
08-28-2008, 07:06 AM
Not in these parts Doc. Brooks Boyer told me via email that the Sox don't even bother marketing here in NW Illinois because of the endless numbers of cub fans. Since I'm away from the Chi town area, I can't speak for that sectar. The local paper has its orgasm over anything cub and I usually chime in with some smart a** remark about that pathetic franchise in the comments area and rarely if ever has anyone replied back to my crass statement.

Brooks has done an amazing job marketing the Sox over the past several years, but why cop out on a potential market and raise up a white flag (for want of a better analogy) because of the supposed "endless number of Cub fans"? I mean why not accept the challenge and try to expand and cultivate the fan base? :shrug:

white sox bill
08-28-2008, 07:34 AM
Brooks has done an amazing job marketing the Sox over the past several years, but why cop out on a potential market and raise up a white flag (for want of a better analogy) because of the supposed "endless number of Cub fans"? I mean why not accept the challenge and try to expand and cultivate the fan base? :shrug:

Yes BB has been great. I emailed him back before Spring Training that a cub caravan was coming here to little Mayberry and they are here every so often and why don't the Sox do something like that. His response was that this area is like Wrigleyville Jr and that most people prefer the Urinal due to its proximity. I yahoo'ed the distance thing on which ballpark is closer and the Urinal won by like 6 miles is all. I emailed BB the results stating such and he didn't reply.

DumpJerry
08-28-2008, 08:00 AM

I was living in Minnesota in 1983 and 1984. When the Good Guys stormed into the playoffs in 1983, I was as obnoxious about it as possible. When the Cubs found themselves playing October ball in 1984, you'd think I had no interest in baseball whatsoever. My friends in the Twin Cities tried to get some excitement out of me over the Cubs' march to the World Series. I told them I wasn't watching the games and hope that the Padres would treat them like roadkill. I got the expected responses of "they're a Chicago team and you're from Chicago! How come you won't cheer for them?" I would explain that the White Sox were from Chicago and the Cubs were from the North Side. Confused looks would ensue until I would say to a St. Paul person "so, you're from Minneapolis, huh?" Then they got it (in the Twin Cities commented that someone who lives in one of the cities is from the other one is about the most offensive comment you can make).

Eddo144
08-28-2008, 08:20 AM

So any article that mention the Cubs must mention the Sox too? Or else the writer isn't worth reading? Where do you draw the line? Any team that's not mathematically eliminated?

And the article isn't really pro-Cubs or anti-Cubs, it's saying that should the Cubs make it to the playoffs, they'll be shoved down our throats, even though the Cubs are not as lovable as people on the coasts think they are.

But no, I like your interpretation better: if the word "Cubs" is in the article but "White Sox" is not, then it's just another writer falling victim to Cubbie hype.

DrCrawdad
08-28-2008, 08:36 AM

That may be true of your area regarding Cubbie fans not raised here in Chicago-land. But I've ran into Cubbie fans in others parts of the country, ones not raised here, and still heard the usual smears and put-downs.

1. Visiting NYC with my family. On the shuttle the driver asks where we were from. I said Chicago. Guys says you must be Cubbie fans. I say, "No, I'm a White Sox fan. (trying to be reasonable) But I enjoy going to games at Wrigley once and awhile... " Then the driver (who is a Cubbie fan) starts on the smears and put-downs right after I tried to be peaceable and not say the slightest inflamatory type comment.

2. Friend who was born and raised in Iowa. He's as full of Sox hate as any Chicago raised Cubbie fan.

The thing about Greeley, it's not isolated. Talk with Cubbie fans around here (and steer clear of the inflamatory rhetoric yourself) and you'll hear the smears on Sox fans. And for all the bitching and moaning by Cubbie fans about Kass, there is not a single example of a similar thing spewed by a prominent Sox fan.

In my experience, Cubbie fans like to poke Sox fans in the eyes and then mock us for rubbing our eyes.

russ99
08-28-2008, 09:44 AM
And why, pray tell, is Sandberg "the Devil" I know he had a ton of basket HR's at the urinal. I always thought he was pretty quiet modest kind. That and he beats the living hell out of Ray Ray

That was half the problem. He was a bit too quiet and modest, if you get my meaning.

Also, his defense was vastly overrated. He won half of his gold gloves due to all those basket-aided HR's. I could get in the top 25 in fielding playing 2B behind that tall grass at Wrigley (at least it was when Sandberg played.)

white sox bill
08-28-2008, 11:41 AM
That was half the problem. He was a bit too quiet and modest, if you get my meaning.

Also, his defense was vastly overrated. He won half of his gold gloves due to all those basket-aided HR's. I could get in the top 25 in fielding playing 2B behind that tall grass at Wrigley (at least it was when Sandberg played.)

Ryan and Harold are the two I'd be able to hack sitting on either side of me on a flight....

Konerko05
08-28-2008, 02:28 PM
So any article that mention the Cubs must mention the Sox too? Or else the writer isn't worth reading? Where do you draw the line? Any team that's not mathematically eliminated?

And the article isn't really pro-Cubs or anti-Cubs, it's saying that should the Cubs make it to the playoffs, they'll be shoved down our throats, even though the Cubs are not as lovable as people on the coasts think they are.

But no, I like your interpretation better: if the word "Cubs" is in the article but "White Sox" is not, then it's just another writer falling victim to Cubbie hype.

I love when people pull one line out my post and proclaim it as my whole post to create their own argument against me. Tell me where I said "any article that mentions the Cubs must mention the Sox too"? It was more of an add-in from a Sox fan perspective at the end of my post after I made my original point. I simply noted using the word also that he didn't mention the first place White Sox as a playoff contender.

If you had reading comprehension, you would notice that the point of my post was disputing another poster who said it was an anti- Cubs article. You actually agree with me in your post, but then go on to blindly argue with me about something you made up.

But no, I like your interpretation better: if the words "White Sox" are in a post about the "Cubs," then it's just another White Sox fan falling victim to a superiority complex.

Eddo144
08-28-2008, 02:42 PM
I love when people pull one line out my post and proclaim it as my whole post to create their own argument against me. Tell me where I said "any article that mentions the Cubs must mention the Sox too"? It was more of an add-in from a Sox fan perspective at the end of my post after I made my original point. I simply noted using the word also that he didn't mention the first place White Sox as a playoff contender.

If you had reading comprehension, you would notice that the point of my post was disputing another poster who said it was an anti- Cubs article. You actually agree with me in your post, but then go on to blindly argue with me about something you made up.

But no, I like your interpretation better: if the words "White Sox" are in a post about the "Cubs," then it's just another White Sox fan falling victim to a superiority complex.

Well, your post only had three lines, so any single one of them is pretty significant. You said, "There is also the fact that the writer seems to think the White Sox are too insignificant to even mention as a post season contender." Why mention the Sox at all? The article was about the Cubs. This thread is about the article. Bringing up the Sox and claiming the writer feels they're insignificant really gives off vibes of classic Sox fan paranoia.

I believe that you really don't feel that way, but using the words you did indicates otherwise.

Konerko05
08-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Well, your post only had three lines, so any single one of them is pretty significant. You said, "There is also the fact that the writer seems to think the White Sox are too insignificant to even mention as a post season contender." Why mention the Sox at all? The article was about the Cubs. This thread is about the article. Bringing up the Sox and claiming the writer feels they're insignificant really gives off vibes of classic Sox fan paranoia.

I believe that you really don't feel that way, but using the words you did indicates otherwise.

Well I thought the fact that I specifically responded to Cubkilla saying it is not an anti- Cubs article would make it obvious what my point was. The fact that I used the word "also" implies that I was adding something on to my original point.

The article was about the post season as well. He even mentioned several teams citing why they would yield little interest. Regardless if the article is about the Cubs or not, the author did not include anything about the White Sox as a playoff contender. Of course I am going to take notice of that. I am a White Sox fan.

I think you're wrong about me "giving off vibes of classic Sox fan paranoia." This whole thread reeks of "classic Sox fan paranoia." An article is being proclaimed as "great" on a White Sox message board because it shows some resemblance of being "anti- Cubs." That is my interpretation, and there is no need for a sarcastic teal color this time.

Eddo144
08-28-2008, 03:54 PM
Well I thought the fact that I specifically responded to Cubkilla saying it is not an anti- Cubs article would make it obvious what my point was. The fact that I used the word "also" implies that I was adding something on to my original point.

The article was about the post season as well. He even mentioned several teams citing why they would yield little interest. Regardless if the article is about the Cubs or not, the author did not include anything about the White Sox as a playoff contender. Of course I am going to take notice of that. I am a White Sox fan.

I think you're wrong about me "giving off vibes of classic Sox fan paranoia." This whole thread reeks of "classic Sox fan paranoia." An article is being proclaimed as "great" on a White Sox message board because it shows some resemblance of being "anti- Cubs." That is my interpretation, and there is no need for a sarcastic teal color this time.
I'll give you that this whole thread is Sox fan paranoia. I'm seeing now I misinterpreted your comment, and I'm sorry. :redface:

I was only in this thread in the first place because I think Posnanski is the best writer around, so I wanted to see what people were saying.

gosox41
08-28-2008, 11:57 PM

FWIW, I go to KC about 5-6 times a year and have read some of his stuff. He's good but not that good. He also has been known to get his facts wrong on a story here and there.

That being said, this was a good one.

Bob

seventyseven
08-29-2008, 01:57 PM

Agreed. Not that it was drivel, but it was pointless.