PDA

View Full Version : If there is a Crosstown Series.......

Fenway
08-26-2008, 09:43 PM
I was talking to a Chicago friend and we started talking about the possible Red Line Series.

It leads to an interesting question. What would the owners of the downtown buildings do in that case? We have seen the skyline lit up with Go Sox Go Bulls and Go Bears but if both teams make the Series what happens then?

Just asking.......

In NYC in 2000 the Empire State switched between Yankees and Mets colors depending on who was the home team.

twentywontowin
08-26-2008, 09:52 PM
I don't know what they would do, but I know what I'd do. Head to Vegas until it's over. When I come back, hopefully some of the city would be left.

Palehose Pete
08-26-2008, 10:08 PM
I don't know what they would do, but I know what I'd do. Head to Vegas until it's over. When I come back, hopefully some of the city would be left.

Not me. I'd dive right into the middle of everything. Something like that happens once every 102 years. I would definitely want to be around to tell my kids about it.

Interesting question about the buildings. Maybe they'd split split the buildings, with every other side Cubs or Sox.

areilly
08-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Either by the home team, or by the building owner or manager's preference.

Personally, I'll be marching up Clark Street wielding a silver battle axe and black shield, wearing a Jack McDowell jersey as armor.

Rockman218
08-26-2008, 10:18 PM
The South Side of the city is draped in black and white, and North side is completely blue.

whitem0nkey
08-26-2008, 10:44 PM
if i owned one of those buildings I would keep it sox the whole time

all*star quentin
08-26-2008, 11:12 PM
The South Side of the city is draped in black and white, and North side is completely blue.

White Sox fans live on the northside. Cubs fans live on the southside.
Same with the suburbs of Chicago.
I like splitting the buildings with both teams' colors. Mayor Daley better start planning for this... forget the 2016 Olympics:tongue:

getonbckthr
08-26-2008, 11:43 PM
Not completely!

DumpJerry
08-26-2008, 11:49 PM
After Game Three, it will be an easy choice.:D:

MUsoxfan
08-27-2008, 12:57 AM

I was thinking a cave in northern Canada where I could be without human contact because I wouldn't be able to handle it

WhiteSox5187
08-27-2008, 12:59 AM
I would hide; if the Sox won I'd never shut up about it, if they lost I'd punch anyone I saw wearing the color blue...so in either case I'd be dead within a week of it's conclusion.

DumpJerry
08-27-2008, 01:00 AM

I was thinking a cave in northern Canada where I could be without human contact because I wouldn't be able to handle it
I'll be at the home games. I realize I could get some SERIOUS money for my seats, I mean absolutely obscene money, I would not want to the miss the experience.

I'm not worried about what things will be like around town.

Nellie_Fox
08-27-2008, 01:24 AM
At the end of an "el" series, I would be able to see the glow in the sky from Mankato.
http://www.bigaddison.com/newstuff/armageddon_cam_apocalypse2.png

Vernam
08-27-2008, 01:32 AM
I'll be at the home games. I realize I could get some SERIOUS money for my seats, I mean absolutely obscene money, I would not want to the miss the experience.It'd be tempting, but you're right -- a City Series comes once in several lifetimes. And I'd like to declare right now that any Sox fan who'd sell his or her World Series seat to a Cub fan is lower than worm ****. :mad: Sell if you must, people, but find a Sox fan to buy it.

Vernam

Vernam
08-27-2008, 01:36 AM
After Game Three, it will be an easy choice.:D:Another fun hypothetical: The Sox win the first three games, and Cub fans start dumping their tickets to Game Four. How much would you pay for the privilege of seeing our guys go for the sweep in the other team's building?

Vernam

thomas35forever
08-27-2008, 01:47 AM
If the series does happen, I can say the Moron will not be around for it!:bandance::bandance::bandance:

PeteWard
08-27-2008, 02:40 AM
Another fun hypothetical: The Sox win the first three games, and Cub fans start dumping their tickets to Game Four. How much would you pay for the privilege of seeing our guys go for the sweep in the other team's building?

Vernam

3 Gs.

SoxGirl4Life
08-27-2008, 06:02 AM
Another fun hypothetical: The Sox win the first three games, and Cub fans start dumping their tickets to Game Four. How much would you pay for the privilege of seeing our guys go for the sweep in the other team's building?

Vernam

And Mark Gonzales had the post season schedule out. And Game 4 of the World Series is on October 26th again.

DumpJerry
08-27-2008, 08:06 AM

Vernam
They won't. They will "believe" it will "happen."

While we're parading down LaSalle Street yet again, they will still "believe" it will "happen."

geraldfritz
08-27-2008, 08:17 AM

Vernam

No, they would still go, but they would think that they were winning 3 games to none. Then when we sweep they will tell us that we are still down in the series.

Thome25
08-27-2008, 08:39 AM
I think White Sox-Phillies is a more likely scenario anyway. I'd be in a foxhole fighting an army of loud-mouthed Phillies fans (they're alot like Cubs fans.) because of where I'm located geographically.

white sox bill
08-27-2008, 08:48 AM
Its been really hard to pin "Lovable Losers" on recent cub teams. They are about to clinch thier 3rd Division Tilte in 6 yrs and have winning records in 4 of last 6 yrs. The chances of them winning the AAAA Pennant has to be pretty good. That said, I hope I just jinxed them

soxpride724
08-27-2008, 09:03 AM
I'm one of the few that do not want to see an all city series. In fact I would love nothing more for the Cubs to miss the postseason, but we all know that is unlikely.

areilly
08-27-2008, 10:44 AM
They won't. They will "believe" it will "happen."

While we're parading down LaSalle Street yet again, they will still "believe" it will "happen."

Clearly their will to believe is no match for our will to not stop believin'.

Side question: Do we get a new battle anthem this time? Maybe even something less cheesy?

AnkleSox
08-27-2008, 10:52 AM
I would be a nervous wreck, and the Sox better win otherwise I'd be moving out West. I don't think it would be good for the city.

asindc
08-27-2008, 11:11 AM
Clearly their will to believe is no match for our will to not stop believin'.

Side question: Do we get a new battle anthem this time? Maybe even something less cheesy?

My personal policy for such is still in place: Whatever works for the players.

As someone who lives outside Chicago, I would like to see the Sox win at Comiskey, regardless of the opponent. I do understand, however, the appeal of winning it on the other side of town, if it comes down to that.:cool:

Law11
08-27-2008, 11:14 AM
By the looks of the comments on the Obama Sox comments on the Times and trib sites alone a Red Line series would need the natl guard to come in to keep the peace.

ImaGrinder
08-27-2008, 12:04 PM
I fear a Crosstown series like no other.

It's a risk-reward thing:

We all know how hard it is to win the World Series, a certain degree of luck is involved--along with getting hot at the right time. This being said, the Cubs are still unlikely to win it all even if they are the best team in the NL.

The last thing I want to see is them having to chance to win their first WS in a century against us. I'd never hear the effing end of it, and rightfully so. All we do is rub that crap in their faces year in and year out. If they finally won it all and it was against us...damn.

Hopefully it is us and the Phillies in the WS and this is all a moot point.

russ99
08-27-2008, 01:49 PM
I fear a Crosstown series like no other.

It's a risk-reward thing:

We all know how hard it is to win the World Series, a certain degree of luck is involved--along with getting hot at the right time. This being said, the Cubs are still unlikely to win it all even if they are the best team in the NL.

The last thing I want to see is them having to chance to win their first WS in a century against us. I'd never hear the effing end of it, and rightfully so. All we do is rub that crap in their faces year in and year out. If they finally won it all and it was against us...damn.

Hopefully it is us and the Phillies in the WS and this is all a moot point.

Well, if the scrubs win (even vs. us) we can always point at 2005 and say we got there first.

To me the only thing better that the Sox winning the series would be beating the Cubs. But I don't think it will happen, I don't see the Cubs making it that far, considering the pressure in the playoffs this year will probably be 10 times that of last year.

We'll have to see how the Sox do the next 30-49 games too. If it does happen, I'd have to go into hiding that week, though...:tongue:

hi im skot
08-27-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm hoping they just spell out "SPORTS!" in the skyline.

ImaGrinder
08-27-2008, 02:03 PM
Well, if the scrubs win (even vs. us) we can always point at 2005 and say we got there first.

To me the only thing better that the Sox winning the series would be beating the Cubs. But I don't think it will happen, I don't see the Cubs making it that far, considering the pressure in the playoffs this year will probably be 10 times that of last year.

We'll have to see how the Sox do the next 30-49 games too. If it does happen, I'd have to go into hiding that week, though...:tongue:

This is true, but it's not like we were a championship dynasty before 2005 either. They're going to win it sometime, I'd say the year they clearly have the best overall team in the NL is their best shot yet.

jabrch
08-27-2008, 02:19 PM

Vernam

Suppose it goes to 7 games? What would you sell your tickets for?

As Ted DiBiase used to say, "Every man has his price"

#1swisher
08-27-2008, 03:20 PM

As Ted DiBiase used to say, "Every man has his price"

remember the SNL skit...SUPER BOWL XX DA BEARS
"how much do you want for your tickets? 1 MILLIONS DOLLARS"

BadBobbyJenks
08-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Personally, I'll be marching up Clark Street wielding a silver battle axe and black shield, wearing a Jack McDowell jersey as armor.

This really made me laugh out loud.

gn2727
08-27-2008, 04:14 PM
In 2005 I didnt have season tickets, but I did goto 19 games during the regular season. I sat anywhere from behind the plate in the 100s to the BP Sports Bar, to the suites, etc. COme playoff time I tried to find tix as cheaply as possible.

I ended up going to game 1 of the ALCS and sat in left field for ~125. I went to game to of the ALCS in Scout Seats and paid $430 for 2. I then went to Game 2 of the World Series and sat 8 rows back of home in Scout Seats for $3,330 x 2 seats.

Best damn money I ever spent. If I could do it again I would probably get 1st row Scout Seats instead of 8th.

It was worth it, and ur right everyone has their price. Im also sure the guy who sold me the seats is kicking himself for not seeing Pods walk off HR that day........:bandance:

soxfan43
08-28-2008, 12:13 AM
If the series does happen, I can say the Moron will not be around for it!:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Don't be so sure. Based on his ESPN1000 interview and the lack of response on chicagosports.com, I'd bet its a good chance he'll end up in some role at the trib. Or if he just goes with ESPN.com cuz of his tv show connection, we'll be seeing plenty of him, especially if boston or the yanks don't make it in. ESPN will be drinking cubs kool aid by the keg.

DSpivack
08-28-2008, 12:18 AM
Don't be so sure. Based on his ESPN1000 interview and the lack of response on chicagosports.com, I'd bet its a good chance he'll end up in some role at the trib. Or if he just goes with ESPN.com cuz of his tv show connection, we'll be seeing plenty of him, especially if boston or the yanks don't make it in. ESPN will be drinking cubs kool aid by the keg.

Fenway posted earlier that WEEI (I think it's them and not Boston.com) is in talks to sign him.

Domeshot17
08-28-2008, 12:34 AM
I think it would be both great and terrible for Chicago.

You would have I think a record number of stupid murders if not just total murders (or atleast assaults). It would as close to civil war as Chicago would ever have.

That said, if We keep control, and we handle it well, it would be a huge sign that we may be able to handle the olympics.

chisoxfanatic
08-28-2008, 03:21 AM
I think White Sox-Phillies is a more likely scenario anyway. I'd be in a foxhole fighting an army of loud-mouthed Phillies fans (they're alot like Cubs fans.) because of where I'm located geographically.
I honestly do think that either the Phillies or D-Backs will come out of the NL. MarySwiss will have to start getting her house ready for all WSI patrons in the middle of that series. :cool:
Skip the battle anthems and go directly to the battle dance led by Captain Swisher.

grv1974
08-28-2008, 04:43 AM
I was talking to a Chicago friend and we started talking about the possible Red Line Series.

It leads to an interesting question. What would the owners of the downtown buildings do in that case? We have seen the skyline lit up with Go Sox Go Bulls and Go Bears but if both teams make the Series what happens then?

Just asking.......

In NYC in 2000 the Empire State switched between Yankees and Mets colors depending on who was the home team.

They'd say, "Go Chicago" on them. :D:

Soxfanspcu11
08-28-2008, 09:14 AM
I can not help but laugh My Ass off when I hear people say that a Crosstown World Series would be "so great" for the city. Are they joking?? They must!!!

A Crosstown Series would be a DISASTER of EPIC PROPORTIONS!!!!!

And not just for the city, but for all the suburbs as well.

Where I live, in Schererville in Northwest Indiana, I would say it is about 60/40 Sox to scrubs fans. But pretty much EVERYONE is VERY Passionate about their team. I have seen countless fights and arguments at bars and everything.

It would be good for the city and burbs in terms of increased revenue, but it would not matter because all of that revenue would be gone anyway after having to fix all the destruction that would be caused.

And also, dozens of people would die. Not just get injured, but die. You could pretty much right that part in stone.

ImaGrinder
08-28-2008, 11:05 AM
I honestly do think that either the Phillies or D-Backs will come out of the NL. MarySwiss will have to start getting her house ready for all WSI patrons in the middle of that series. :cool:

Skip the battle anthems and go directly to the battle dance led by Captain Swisher.

Any sound reasoning behind that, or is that just pure Flubs hate?

I guess we get to see how they handle a decent team this weekend, they have a 4 game series vs. the Phils starting today.

MiamiSpartan
08-28-2008, 11:20 AM
There's a big group of us at work down here who will all be hopping on planes to get up to Chicago to experience it if it happens....
They're all cub fans, but we're all pretty stoked about the possibility...

beasly213
08-28-2008, 11:42 AM
I would go to Vegas during the whole series. I wouldn't be able to handle it. BUT if the Sox ended up winning I wouldn't be able to forgive myself for not being there for is.

Oh man...Please only have the South Side Chicago team in the World Series this year!

OldRomanPizza
08-28-2008, 11:59 AM
I would need to go to a bar where there was a 100 percent guarantee that no Cubs fans would be allowed in, and if any did come incognito, they would be "dealt with" accordingly. :)

My group of best friends include one guy who is a "Chicago fan" and I couldnt have him around either.

I couldnt even watch the games at home because my mom is a Cubs fan.:tongue:

jenn2080
08-28-2008, 02:11 PM
There won't be.

NLaloosh
08-28-2008, 02:18 PM
When people say that a crosstown series would be great for the city....... they mean for the dentists, optometrists and emergency room physicians and other medical personnel that will be working double shifts to take care of the thousands of beatings that will be going on.

Should be fun!

Soxman219
08-28-2008, 03:01 PM
A Crosstown WS would be the worst thing ever. The Sox and Cubs rivalry has increased over the last 3 years. If the Sox win the WS, I will brag about it forever and guarantee that I will not make it out of Clark without getting shot at. If the Cubs win, I will never hear the end of it. I'll punch every Cub fan I see across the mouth. So it's either going to jail or killed. I'll leave town.:smile:

oeo
08-28-2008, 03:06 PM
There won't be.

http://www.wrensnestonline.com/blog/wp-content/debbie_downer.jpg

kittle42
08-28-2008, 03:08 PM
There won't be.

I'll second that, and take it one further...I really, really hope there isn't, as well.

jenn2080
08-28-2008, 03:16 PM
I'll second that, and take it one further...I really, really hope there isn't, as well.

Me too. Who would have ever thought we would agree on so much.:smile:

Frater Perdurabo
08-28-2008, 03:20 PM

Me too. Who would have ever thought we would agree on so much.:smile:

Maybe this is a stupid question.

Hypothetically, say the Cubs sweep the NLCS to clinch before the AL pennant is won. Are you going to root against the Sox just so there's not an all-city World Series?

kittle42
08-28-2008, 03:47 PM

Hypothetically, say the Cubs sweep the NLCS to clinch before the AL pennant is won. Are you going to root against the Sox just so there's not an all-city World Series?

Well, of course not.

soxinem1
08-28-2008, 04:04 PM
I wonder which rallies Richard Daley would attend, and who would he bet in that usual Mayor bet they have between cities?

Maybe he would have to bet Blago!!!

Nellie_Fox
08-28-2008, 04:12 PM
I wonder which rallies Richard Daley would attend, and who would he bet in that usual Mayor bet they have between cities?Who took over as "Mayor of Rush Street" after Harry died?

Gavin
08-28-2008, 04:31 PM
In the event of an all-Chicago World Series, I stand by my belief that Chicago would eat itself alive Scarecrow/hallucinogenic-compound-fueled style as demonstrated in Batman Begins.

thomas35forever
08-28-2008, 04:33 PM
Phil Rogers says the Cubs facing the Sox in the World Series would be a nightmare scenario for the North Siders.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-080827-phil-rogers-chicago-cubs-white-sox,0,4183191.column

areilly
08-28-2008, 04:56 PM
I would not mind a week of Shank or Be Shanked baseball. People in this town talk too much **** about baseball (myself included) and talk a lot about how harcore they are (myself included again) so **** it, let's do this thing.

kittle42
08-28-2008, 05:07 PM
I would not mind a week of Shank or Be Shanked baseball. People in this town talk too much **** about baseball (myself included) and talk a lot about how harcore they are (myself included again) so **** it, let's do this thing.

There are too many stupid people for a crosstown World Series to not turn lethal. It would be best for Chicago if it never happens.

johnr1note
08-28-2008, 05:15 PM

No, in my Flubsessed fantasy, the Cubs either don't make the postseason or lose the NLCS in the last inning of the 7th game. Meanwhile, the White Sox win the pennant.

turners56
08-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Speaking of Flub fans and the Cubs...

B&B (along with Matt Howboutacola?) are acting like as if the Cubs will sweep their way to the WS like the Sox did in 05. What I don't get is that they're A) underestimating the rest of the NL (I don't blame them, but the best NL team doesn't always get the farthest in the postseason), B) forgetting that the Cubs are the Cubs C) tossing aside the fact that you have to be hot to win in the playoffs.

In the past decade, the NL pennant winners have been Colorado (Wild Card), St. Louis (83 wins), Houston (Wild Card), St. Louis (best team in NL), Florida (Wild Card), San Francisco (Wild Card), Arizona (92 wins, NL West title), New York (Wild Card), Atlanta (best team in NL), San Diego (second best team in NL). So basically, 5 of the last 10 NL pennant winners were Wild Cards. Only two actually held the best record in the NL. As of now, it looks like the Cubs are going to runaway with the division, which is not the best thing considering pressure is what makes a team dangerous in October. The pressure and the success of winning and barely getting in is what makes playoff teams good. The Cubs don't seem to have that based on the way they will finish. We'll see, but it seems like unbiased radio personalities in this town are forgetting the golden rule that the Cubs are useless come September and October.

oeo
08-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Speaking of Flub fans and the Cubs...

B&B (along with Matt Howboutacola?) are acting like as if the Cubs will sweep their way to the WS like the Sox did in 05. What I don't get is that they're A) underestimating the rest of the NL (I don't blame them, but the best NL team doesn't always get the farthest in the postseason), B) forgetting that the Cubs are the Cubs C) tossing aside the fact that you have to be hot to win in the playoffs.

In the past decade, the NL pennant winners have been Colorado (Wild Card), St. Louis (83 wins), Houston (Wild Card), St. Louis (best team in NL), Florida (Wild Card), San Francisco (Wild Card), Arizona (92 wins, NL West title), New York (Wild Card), Atlanta (best team in NL), San Diego (second best team in NL). So basically, 5 of the last 10 NL pennant winners were Wild Cards. Only two actually held the best record in the NL. As of now, it looks like the Cubs are going to runaway with the division, which is not the best thing considering pressure is what makes a team dangerous in October. The pressure and the success of winning and barely getting in is what makes playoff teams good. The Cubs don't seem to have that based on the way they will finish. We'll see, but it seems like unbiased radio personalities in this town are forgetting the golden rule that the Cubs are useless come September and October.

The Cubs should have an easy run to the World Series...we'll see if that happens. They're, without a doubt, the best team in the National League and may be the best in baseball (though their record against AL opponents shoots that down). They're still the Cubs, though. I see a collapse of epic proportions.

kittle42
08-28-2008, 06:28 PM
The Cubs should have an easy run to the World Series...we'll see if that happens. They're, without a doubt, the best team in the National League and may be the best in baseball (though their record against AL opponents shoots that down). They're still the Cubs, though. I see a collapse of epic proportions.

What happened to Seattle when they had their huge season could happen to any runaway team. Yet another example of the unbelievable audacity of Cubs fans. If it were the Sox, most of us would still be predicting gloom and doom and talking about the tough road no matter what the record or who the opponents. Arrogant pricks.

soxwon
08-28-2008, 06:47 PM
I hope it doesnt happen, but if it does i dont want anyone here to die at the hands of a pissed off cubs fan or fans.
I really mean this, it will be bloody.
Cause we surely would win, no question.

MarySwiss
08-28-2008, 07:20 PM

My pleasure, Heather! We can all join together in a stirring rendition of "Southside Irish"!

turners56
08-28-2008, 07:54 PM

The Braves SHOULD of beaten the Cubs in the NLDS in 2003, they didn't. In the playoffs, the better team doesn't always win. I know, it's sad.

Vernam
08-28-2008, 10:17 PM

As Ted DiBiase used to say, "Every man has his price"PM me.

:wink::wink::wink:

My boss the Cub fan (best boss I've ever had, seriously) arranged for mandatory presentation training in our office. I told the trainer to show me how to convey sincerity when I say how bad I feel the morning after the Cubs get eliminated. :bandance:

Of course, if it's us who eliminates them, no amount of training will help.

Vernam

DumpJerry
08-28-2008, 10:22 PM
In 2000, did New York City burn down? Nope. Chicago won't, either.

I'm very excited about facing the punks in the World Series. Unlike every other NL team (except, maybe Milwaukee), we don't have a natural foam-at-the-mouth rival in the NL. Whenb we played the Astros, we could not get up some hatred of them since we had no history of bad blood between us.

The Brewers thing is old, the Cubs thing, however, that is rich!

gaelhound
08-28-2008, 10:47 PM
I would hide; if the Sox won I'd never shut up about it, if they lost I'd punch anyone I saw wearing the color blue...so in either case I'd be dead within a week of it's conclusion.
That's the spirit!

ChiSoxGirl
08-28-2008, 11:00 PM

I'm with you. I'd love nothing more than to build a bunker and hide in there for two weeks if it's a Sox/Cubs World Series; I just couldn't handle it. I couldn't handle the Cub fans walking around with their "we're owed this World Series Championship" complex, I couldn't handle it if we lost because you know we'd never hear the end of it, I couldn't handle the media's Cubbie love that would no doubt surround the World Series, I couldn't handle any of it. I wouldn't even want to be in a bar with my Sox fan friends watching the games because even that would be too stressful. Besides, there'd be no guarantee that the bar would be Cub fan-free!

I know this may make me sound like a dark cloud, but that damn team on the north side reminds me of the '05 White Sox in so many ways, and that scares me to death.

chisoxfanatic
08-28-2008, 11:01 PM
In 2000, did New York City burn down? Nope. Chicago won't, either.
The intercity rivalry here has no comparison! It's far stronger than any other intercity rivalry. It would get pretty bad here indeed!

PicktoCLick72
08-28-2008, 11:09 PM
After seeing them win that game today, I find it hard seeing how the Cubs do not take the NL spot in October.

sox1970
08-28-2008, 11:18 PM
After seeing them win that game today, I find it hard seeing how the Cubs do not take the NL spot in October.

I'm hoping the Cubs get Arizona to start it off. Brandon Webb can shut anyone down. Haren can be tough. And the Cubs have never beaten Randy Johnson. If they got by AZ, then I hope it's Milwaukee for the NLCS. That would be entertaining, if nothing else.

As far if the Sox and Cubs faced each other, I won't wish for it to happen. When it actually happens, I'll embrace it as something that should be enjoyed, and not dreaded or feared. You only live once, it would be interesting to witness. If people get stupid, that's their problem. It's just baseball.

Vernam
08-28-2008, 11:19 PM
The intercity rivalry here has no comparison! It's far stronger than any other intercity rivalry. It would get pretty bad here indeed!Yep, NYY vs NYM is no comparison to CWS vs CHC. We've got 100 years of bragging rights at stake -- maybe 200, if you consider it might not happen again for another century or more. The Mets are still a crummy expansion team compared to the Yanks.

If there's a city series, various public officials will appeal to both sides of town to maintain calm in the name of not screwing up our 2016 Olympics bid.

Of course, the Olympics would be utterly anticlimactic after a city series.

Vernam

DumpJerry
08-28-2008, 11:38 PM
The intercity rivalry here has no comparison! It's far stronger than any other intercity rivalry. It would get pretty bad here indeed!

Yep, NYY vs NYM is no comparison to CWS vs CHC. We've got 100 years of bragging rights at stake -- maybe 200, if you consider it might not happen again for another century or more. The Mets are still a crummy expansion team compared to the Yanks.

If there's a city series, various public officials will appeal to both sides of town to maintain calm in the name of not screwing up our 2016 Olympics bid.

Of course, the Olympics would be utterly anticlimactic after a city series.

Vernam
What are you two basing these assertions on? I've talked to New Yorkers and their rivalry sounds like ours. All the Yankee hating Dodger and Giant fans became Yankee hating Mets fans when the Mets were started in 1962. It's a deep and passionate rivalry.

Oh, by the way, I hope the Cub fans go around chest thumping they are "owed" the World Series or will rule because of their "most excellent" regular season record. It will make our four game sweep all that much more sweet. I keep telling Cub fans that their record is based on playing in a league with some very, very weak teams. Even some of the better teams in the NL are weak when compared to the AL.

kittle42
08-28-2008, 11:59 PM
What are you two basing these assertions on? I've talked to New Yorkers and their rivalry sounds like ours. All the Yankee hating Dodger and Giant fans became Yankee hating Mets fans when the Mets were started in 1962. It's a deep and passionate rivalry.

Not really, and any rivalry is pretty one-sided. I have friends who are great Yankees and Mets fans, and lived in NY for a little over a year. It is nothing like it is here. The most venom is spewed by Mets fans toward Yankees fans, but even that is really nothing.

DSpivack
08-29-2008, 12:06 AM

Oh, by the way, I hope the Cub fans go around chest thumping they are "owed" the World Series or will rule because of their "most excellent" regular season record. It will make our four game sweep all that much more sweet. I keep telling Cub fans that their record is based on playing in a league with some very, very weak teams. Even some of the better teams in the NL are weak when compared to the AL.

I think the Chicago rivalry greater. For nearly a century, neither the Cubs nor White Sox won anything. The Yankees, meanwhile, have 26 titles to the Mets' two; the Dodgers won, what, one title in NY and the Giants a few? Plus, the Yankees faced the Dodgers and Giants in the Series many times; NY was used to seeing their teams play each other, although it hadn't happened in over 40 years.

2005 put us over the top finally, but Chicago has a much more futile history in baseball. That sense of desperation (which has never really been present in NY, except perhaps the 1955 series between Brooklyn and the Yankees) especially these days on the north side, only would make the air of an 'El' series that much more intense. Not to mention just the Cubs being there for the first time that any living being remembers.

Chicago has never really seen anything quite like what an 'El series' would mean. It would make the 1986 Super Bowl or any of the Bulls NBA Finals seem small. I don't think anyone would really know how to react.

Vernam
08-29-2008, 12:11 AM
What are you two basing these assertions on? Dump, not only have the Sox and Cubs been vying for our affection more than twice as long as in New York, there's also a long history of class, ethnicity, and religion being wrapped up in it. I know it's generalizing, but the South side working class Irish/Italian/Black/Catholic traditions are hard to ignore, as are the North side affluent English/German/Jewish/Protestant traditions. Yeah, I know not all fans fit these stereotypes, but the contrasts are still real. (I left out Latinos because I see a lot rooting for the Sox and a lot rooting for the Cubs.)

In a way, I think people hate on each other because of their Sox or Cub allegiance as a way of displacing resentments related to other, less socially acceptable prejudices. The 2005 victory parade on Wacker almost felt like an invasion of the other team's turf. I remember thinking, in societies less fortunate than ours, tribal rivalries break out in actual violence. In comparison, yelling "Cubs suck" is pretty benign. Healthy, even!

I just don't see anything comparable with the New York teams, apart from the fact that the Yankees have won more than 10 times as many championships, which probably gives Mets fans a slight chip on their shoulders. Do Yankee fans really care about the Mets? I can't imagine why. In fact, that's another obvious dimension in Chicago, how both teams' fans went so long without a championship and devolved into a sick ethos where enjoying the other team's misery compensated for our own team's lack of success.

Or so I've heard. :tongue:

Vernam

OldRomanPizza
08-29-2008, 12:21 AM
I was shopping in a mall today and one of the stores just had this sign written in blue with red trim: IT'S GONNA HAPPEN

Things like that used to make me laugh, but now they make me want to punch someone.:cool:

hoff
08-29-2008, 12:33 AM
*I know it's generalizing, but the South side working class Irish/Italian/Black/Catholic traditions are hard to ignore, as are the North side affluent English/German/Jewish/Protestant traditions. Yeah, I know not all fans fit these stereotypes, but the contrasts are still real.*

You couldn't be more wrong about the North side in terms of ethnic background. The Jewish/Protestant area is strictly in Rogers Park and North Center. The entire Northwest Side of Chicago (as in north of Belmont and West of Damen) like the actual residential neighborhoods themselves are Irish/Polish/Italian and catholic, as people associate each other by parishes. I know its not what the topic is about, but this bothered me. The Northwest side is all city workers, just as the Irish Catholic section of the Southside is.

Nellie_Fox
08-29-2008, 12:43 AM
Allow the pedantic professor to point out that the Sox/Cubs rivalry is intra-city, not inter-city.

Vernam
08-29-2008, 12:58 AM
*I know it's generalizing, but the South side working class Irish/Italian/Black/Catholic traditions are hard to ignore, as are the North side affluent English/German/Jewish/Protestant traditions. Yeah, I know not all fans fit these stereotypes, but the contrasts are still real.*

You couldn't be more wrong about the North side in terms of ethnic background. The Jewish/Protestant area is strictly in Rogers Park and North Center. The entire Northwest Side of Chicago (as in north of Belmont and West of Damen) like the actual residential neighborhoods themselves are Irish/Polish/Italian and catholic, as people associate each other by parishes. I know its not what the topic is about, but this bothered me. The Northwest side is all city workers, just as the Irish Catholic section of the Southside is.I readily concede that my generalizations were based on population patterns from long ago, and they were generalizations even then. They're not completely gone, but you're right that they don't have much basis in reality anymore, as people have moved around. Except, people often hold onto those identities long after they (or their parents) abandonned their original turf.

I really don't want to be responsible for getting a good thread ****housed, and debating those population patterns is not what I had in mind at all.

Vernam

white sox bill
08-29-2008, 06:42 AM
Its a little like this: Your playing Russian Roulette with another partner. You each have ONE shot on the other. Theres only ONE bullet. Kill or get killed

DumpJerry
08-29-2008, 07:23 AM

Allow the pedantic professor to point out that the Sox/Cubs rivalry is intra-city, not inter-city.
No, this is an intercity rivalry. The White Sox play in Chicago, the Cubs play in North Side.

Two different cities.:wink:

ImaGrinder
08-29-2008, 10:45 AM

Agreed. Honestly, I think the Cubs are still being underrated by a lot of people because they are the Cubs.

This is a ridiculously good team, and people are sitting back and waiting for a collapse that may simply not happen, you better come to play and win against these guys. They do not lay down.

soxpride724
08-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Agreed. Honestly, I think the Cubs are still being underrated by a lot of people because they are the Cubs.

This is a ridiculously good team, and people are sitting back and waiting for a collapse that may simply not happen, you better come to play and win against these guys. They do not lay down.

Scroll down to where it talks about the possible rematch with the D-Backs, interesting.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings

ImaGrinder
08-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Scroll down to where it talks about the possible rematch with the D-Backs, interesting.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings

I read through that, and that is all fantastic. A short series is really the only way I see the Cubs getting lifted from the playoffs pre-WS.

Problem is, the Diamondbacks have to score some runs against the Cubs superior pitching to win. The Diamondbacks' bullpen is not as solid as it was last year and the Cubs have shown they can win late if they are unable to get to a good starter early.

I'm definitely scared of the D-Backs if I were a Cub fan, but home field advantage and a overall superior team should go a long way. However, anythign can happen in a 5 game luck fest that is the divisional series.

AnkleSox
08-29-2008, 11:59 AM
If the city series happened, I'd be a bacon cheeseburger away from a heart attack at pretty much all moments during it. The teams match up pretty well, and the Cubs, on paper, are the obvious favorite, but that doesn't mean everything in postseason play.

But let's remember, the Cardinals had 100+ win seasons in 04 and 05 while running away with the division. It wasn't until 2006 that their 83 win regular season team went on to win it. The Sox ran away with the Central in 2000 and we all know how that ended (although the Cubs this year have far superior pitching to ours that year.)

I'm torn about this whole thing. If it happened and the Sox won it would be amazing and I'd be celebrating forever. If they lost I'd probably have to move out west.

kittle42
08-29-2008, 11:59 AM
I read through that, and that is all fantastic. A short series is really the only way I see the Cubs getting lifted from the playoffs pre-WS.

Problem is, the Diamondbacks have to score some runs against the Cubs superior pitching to win. The Diamondbacks' bullpen is not as solid as it was last year and the Cubs have shown they can win late if they are unable to get to a good starter early.

I'm definitely scared of the D-Backs if I were a Cub fan, but home field advantage and a overall superior team should go a long way. However, anythign can happen in a 5 game luck fest that is the divisional series.

And this is why the Diamondbacks need to emerge from the NL West and have a worse record than the eventual NL East winner. It is the best possible way to avoid the horror of a Cubs World Series, albeit still unlikely.

soxpride724
08-29-2008, 12:20 PM

I think the D-Backs offense will be up to the challenge. The acquisition of Adam Dunn has changed the look of thier offense. The same can be said about the Dodgers, they got Manny and added Madux to an already lights out pitching staff (Against the Cubs they were anyway).

ImaGrinder
08-29-2008, 12:33 PM
I think the D-Backs offense will be up to the challenge. The acquisition of Adam Dunn has changed the look of thier offense. The same can be said about the Dodgers, they got Manny and added Madux to an already lights out pitching staff (Against the Cubs they were anyway).

The Cubs are obviously not unstoppable, but they are going to have home field advantage (in a field where they have absolutely dominated almost everyone--inclusing us) against whomever they play. And it's not like they suck on the road anymore.

My only point is that if we make the World Series, we are most likely going to have to play the Cubs. Anyone saying they are not the most likely team to win the NL pennant is delusional.

illini81887
08-29-2008, 12:34 PM
Dodgers blow they have lost 8 in a row including getting swept by the Nats

I_Liked_Manuel
08-29-2008, 12:34 PM
I don't understand why anybody would even have the slightest apprehension about playing the Cubs in the world series. I mean honestly, this is the Cubs we're talking about here. It'll be the greatest 4 wins we've ever had.

soxpride724
08-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Dodgers blow they have lost 8 in a row including getting swept by the Nats

The article mentions the Dodgers pitching staff, and how well they have played against the cubs this season.

rocky biddle
08-29-2008, 12:57 PM
I was shopping in a mall today and one of the stores just had this sign written in blue with red trim: IT'S GONNA HAPPEN.

That might've been last year's sign.

ImaGrinder
08-29-2008, 01:01 PM
I don't understand why anybody would even have the slightest apprehension about playing the Cubs in the world series. I mean honestly, this is the Cubs we're talking about here. It'll be the greatest 4 wins we've ever had.

That's a bit irrational. It's not like we were a dominant championship force before 2005, yet we were still able to do it. The Cubs owned us at Wrigley with a healthy Linebrink. Stop acting like they aren't the better overall team. Of course we could beat them in a 7 game series, any team in the playoffs could.

Loss loss of rationality and homerism is a trait that is supposed to be specific to the north side of town. At least I thought so.

AnkleSox
08-29-2008, 03:12 PM

Baseball is played in the present, not in the past. Why do so many WSIers rag on Cubs fans for believing in curses, but then when they have a good team always say "well it IS the CUBS" as if they're cursed to fail? There's no supernatural force in charge here that dictates the Cubs fate. If they play well enough to win it all, they will win it all.

It may be up to the Sox to stop them in the World Series, but any rational person can admit that the Sox match up better against any of the OTHER NL contenders, because none of them are as good as the Cubs.

If we do have to face them in the World Series, every White Sox fan should be kissing Michael Young's ass for delivering the game winning sac fly in the All-Star game. I could see each team winning only their home games, which of course would mean a White Sox victory in game 7 :smile:

Edit: Imagine a 7 game series between the two. I don't think people would be dying because of fights, but because fans on both sides of town would be dropping dead of heart attacks at a record pace.

Nellie_Fox
08-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Baseball is played in the present, not in the past. Why do so many WSIers rag on Cubs fans for believing in curses, but then when they have a good team always say "well it IS the CUBS" as if they're cursed to fail? There's no supernatural force in charge here that dictates the Cubs fate.It's not a belief in a curse; it is a belief in fundamental ineptitude, and that they'll find some way to lose eventually.

30DaysintheHole
08-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Edit: Imagine a 7 game series between the two. I don't think people would be dying because of fights, but because fans on both sides of town would be dropping dead of heart attacks at a record pace.[/quote]

Good point on that one. I ALMOST think I wouldn't be able to watch it.

ImaGrinder
08-29-2008, 05:36 PM
It's not a belief in a curse; it is a belief in fundamental ineptitude, and that they'll find some way to lose eventually.

Like a team that hadn't won a World Series since 1917 that finally put it all together in 2005?

Please.

They just found a way to win another game against a very good Phillies team even though Harden didn't have nearly his best stuff and the offense was sleepy for most of the game. There is no "cosmic ineptitude" with this team, they are damn good.

DumpJerry
08-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Like a team that hadn't won a World Series since 1917 that finally put it all together in 2005?

Please.

They just found a way to win another game against a very good Phillies team even though Harden didn't have nearly his best stuff and the offense was sleepy for most of the game. There is no "cosmic ineptitude" with this team, they are damn good.
The words "very good team" do not belong in the same sentence as the name of a National League team in 2008. Only two NL have yet to lose 60 games, 5 AL teams are still below 60 in the loss column.

Then there is the overall interleague record this year.

DSpivack
08-29-2008, 08:48 PM
It's not a belief in a curse; it is a belief in fundamental ineptitude, and that they'll find some way to lose eventually.

They'll screw up screwing up and win eventually.

TommyJohn
08-29-2008, 09:51 PM
That's a bit irrational. It's not like we were a dominant championship force before 2005, yet we were still able to do it. The Cubs owned us at Wrigley with a healthy Linebrink. Stop acting like they aren't the better overall team. Of course we could beat them in a 7 game series, any team in the playoffs could.

Loss loss of rationality and homerism is a trait that is supposed to be specific to the north side of town. At least I thought so.

And the White Sox returned the favor and swept at the Cell. Or did you forget that?

I won't deny the Cubs anything. They are the best team in the NL. But the postseason is no longer about the best teams in baseball matching up. It is about who gets hot at the right time. One poster cited 2004-05 Cardinals. I will also point to the 2003 Atlanta Braves. They were 102-60 and had homefield clinched through the playoffs. They lost in the first round to the 88-74 Cubs.

kitekrazy
08-29-2008, 09:51 PM
I'm torn about this whole thing. If it happened and the Sox won it would be amazing and I'd be celebrating forever. If they lost I'd probably have to move out west.

I'm not convinced the Sox will see the post season yet.
It wouldn't bother me as much if this unlikely scenario would happen. I would think for Cub fans, not making it or losing in the WS would have to be a mayor disappointment much like what Pats fans went thru.

Everything has seemed to be magic for the Cubs this season. They get a guy off wavers who's produced. A reliever becomes a good starter. Wood has survived much of the season so far.

If they don't win it all this season, they probably never will. It's highly unlikely they will get the same production next year.

IlliniSox4Life
08-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Baseball is played in the present, not in the past. Why do so many WSIers rag on Cubs fans for believing in curses, but then when they have a good team always say "well it IS the CUBS" as if they're cursed to fail? There's no supernatural force in charge here that dictates the Cubs fate. If they play well enough to win it all, they will win it all.

While I'll admit that this Cubs team is pretty good, and has a better than most shot at winning the World Series, believing in curses and betting against an organization with a history of poor management and decision making are two different things.

It's the exact same as those people who say "never count out the Minnesota Twins". The Twins have an organizational history of succeeding despite less resources. The Cubs have an organization history of losing. That doesn't mean they WILL lose this year, just like it doesn't mean the Twins will make the playoffs.

white sox bill
08-30-2008, 09:28 AM
So who was the last team w/MLB best record that won the WS?

TommyJohn
08-30-2008, 10:34 AM
So who was the last team w/MLB best record that won the WS?
It was actually last year! The 07 Red Sox at 96-66 were tied with Cleveland for baseball's best record.

The last team to have the best record in baseball outright (not tied) and win the World Series was the 1998 Yankees, at 114-48.

thomas35forever
08-30-2008, 01:56 PM
It was actually last year! The 07 Red Sox at 96-66 were tied with Cleveland for baseball's best record.

The last team to have the best record in baseball outright (not tied) and win the World Series was the 1998 Yankees, at 114-48.
When was the last time teams with at least a share of the best record in baseball won the WS in back-to-back years?

areilly
08-30-2008, 02:40 PM
When was the last time teams with at least a share of the best record in baseball won the WS in back-to-back years?

The Reds claimed both the best record and World Series victory in 1975 and 1976.

MISoxfan
08-31-2008, 06:33 PM

I'll admit they are the best team in the NL, but I will not admit they are a better team than the White Sox. I would love to see our record if we played in the NL.

Soxman219
08-31-2008, 09:32 PM

Don't forget that we were winning in the first and second games at Wrigley. We were one Dotel meltdown away from winning 1 out of 3 at Wrigley.

kitekrazy
09-02-2008, 06:18 PM
I'll admit they are the best team in the NL, but I will not admit they are a better team than the White Sox. I would love to see our record if we played in the NL.

They are a lot better than the White Sox. I doubt the Sox record would be that much better in the NL. The Sox need to get over beating themselves.

White City
09-03-2008, 09:49 AM
White Sox in the NL all season = No Thome.

Our offense would be a lot weaker without him on a consistent basis. I'm not convinced we would be all that awesome, although we probably would have a better record than now.

AnkleSox
09-03-2008, 10:01 AM
White Sox in the NL all season = No Thome.

Our offense would be a lot weaker without him on a consistent basis. I'm not convinced we would be all that awesome, although we probably would have a better record than now.

I think we'd probably be about the same vs. the good teams in the NL, but we'd have an easier time feasting on the crappy teams because of how pathetic they are. The Pirates, Reds, Nationals, etc are all much worse than the Royals, Orioles, A's, and Mariners.

Demafrost
09-03-2008, 04:04 PM
I've got a great idea. I stole this from the wrestling world. How about if the Cubs and White Sox reach the World Series, they come to an agreement that the loser of the series has to leave the metro area for good?

How awesome would that be? I say the loser has to move to Montreal and play in Olympic Stadium.

Foulke You
09-04-2008, 11:52 AM
I think we'd probably be about the same vs. the good teams in the NL, but we'd have an easier time feasting on the crappy teams because of how pathetic they are. The Pirates, Reds, Nationals, etc are all much worse than the Royals, Orioles, A's, and Mariners.
Absolutely correct statement. Which is why the White Sox record would be much better if we played in the NL. Even when facing the "bad" AL teams you still have to deal with pitchers like Fausto Carmona, Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay, AJ Burnett, Kenny Rogers, Justin Verlander, and the like. There are pretty much no easy teams other than the Mariners this year and even they have a dangerous lineup. The AL is very unforgiving of slumps. If you don't bring your best against the competition in the AL, you will get pummeled as we did on this most recent road trip. When you play the NL cellar teams, you can have a bad game and still beat them on sheer talent alone.

The NL whipping boy teams like the Pirates, Reds, Nationals, Giants, etc. all have horrendous pitching staffs and after the trade deadline have gotten even worse lineups. The Pirates no longer have Nady or Bay. The Reds no longer have Griffey or Dunn. Neither club had much of a pitching staff to begin with. The Nationals think of Dmitri Young as a clean up hitter and Tim Redding as an ace starter! The Giants have old man Bengie Molina batting cleanup and 82 year old Omar Vizquel as their starting SS. This is life in the NL. DH or no DH, if the White Sox got to play in the NL, their record would be up there with the Cubs or pretty close to it.

guillensdisciple
09-05-2008, 12:31 AM
I would go crazy, I live in a family of all cubs fan and I already get in enough trouble fighting with all of them. The majority of my friends are cubs fans as well and I tend to get into huge arguments with them too. As much as I fear the world series and understand the catastrophic possibilities, I would love to see the Sox and cubs in the world series, to me that just means the sox will be back in one sooner or later regardless if we win or lose because we have a very good core of young players.

But that is going to be a hell of a road so I am not contemplating that just yet..

illini81887
09-05-2008, 11:48 AM
I've got a great idea. I stole this from the wrestling world. How about if the Cubs and White Sox reach the World Series, they come to an agreement that the loser of the series has to leave the metro area for good?

How awesome would that be? I say the loser has to move to Montreal and play in Olympic Stadium.
That is dumb

esbrechtel
09-05-2008, 11:59 AM
That is dumb

damn right I'm not moving to Canada or shelling out the $ for MLB.TV or MLB extra innings if we were to lose....

hi im skot
09-05-2008, 12:14 PM
i've got a great idea. I stole this from the wrestling world. How about if the cubs and white sox reach the world series, they come to an agreement that the loser of the series has to leave the metro area for good?

How awesome would that be? I say the loser has to move to montreal and play in olympic stadium.

wicked awesome!

all*star quentin
09-08-2008, 10:01 PM
getting closer to a Crosstown Series:D:

cub killer
09-19-2008, 08:19 PM
You know there will be announcements by the Mayor, the Superintendent and maybe even Michael Jordan will tape a PSA saying "Have class Chicago, don't start any fights". They'll play that stuff over and over again and every local newscaster will appeal to us saying "please remember, it's only a game"

I'm ready to strap it up and hunker down. If any scrub fan wants some, come get some. I'm gonna be vocal and loud the whole way thru, never ceasing to remind scrub fans that the best they can do is just tie us at 1-1 for World Series victories in our lifetimes.

I don't wanna see a crosstown World Series at all, I want the scrubs to tank it ASAP. It won't be good for the city, but hey, this is the culmination of a lifetime of intense rivalry, unlike any other in sports. So keep the kids at home, because I will be guzzlin the MGD while I'm rootin for Chicago's real team and if any fan of the 100 year losers has a problem with me, I will not hesitate to defend my South Side pride. Hell, it's not even about the Sox being on the south side. It's about the Sox representing hard work, winning and grit while the cubs represent everything that Paris Hilton is.

kittle42
09-19-2008, 08:21 PM
You know there will be announcements by the Mayor, the Superintendent and maybe even Michael Jordan will tape a PSA saying "Have class Chicago, don't start any fights". They'll play that stuff over and over again and every local newscaster will appeal to us saying "please remember, it's only a game"

I'm ready to strap it up and hunker down. If any scrub fan wants some, come get some. I'm gonna be vocal and loud the whole way thru, never ceasing to remind scrub fans that the best they can do is just tie us at 1-1 for World Series victories in our lifetimes.

I don't wanna see a crosstown World Series at all, I want the scrubs to tank it ASAP. It won't be good for the city, but hey, this is the culmination of a lifetime of intense rivalry, unlike any other in sports. So keep the kids at home, because I will be guzzlin the MGD while I'm rootin for Chicago's real team and if any fan of the 100 year losers has a problem with me, I will not hesitate to defend my South Side pride. Hell, it's not even about the Sox being on the south side. It's about the Sox representing hard work, winning and grit while the cubs represent everything that Paris Hilton is.

In other words, you won't hesitate to get into a physical altercation.

cub killer
09-19-2008, 08:27 PM
In other words, you won't hesitate to get into a physical altercation.

Only if I'm provoked

kittle42
09-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Only if I'm provoked

Remember this...words never provoke. If they swing at you, go ahead. But otherwise, you're both being ridiculous.

gaelhound
09-19-2008, 10:09 PM
Only if I'm provoked
Gentle when stroked, fierce when provoked.
I think that this was the motto of the Irish Brigade during the civil war.

DumpJerry
09-19-2008, 10:21 PM
Only if I'm provoked
You are only provoked if you choose to be provoked. You can ignore a comment, walk away from someone who is showing signs of getting physical or you can ignore the warning signs to ensure that the jerk will yank your chain. You can draw attention to yourself to ensure a reaction.

You have to power to control the situation. The choice is yours. Don't make a choice which will live with you the rest of your life.

MarySwiss
09-19-2008, 10:29 PM
You are only provoked if you choose to be provoked. You can ignore a comment, walk away from someone who is showing signs of getting physical or you can ignore the warning signs to ensure that the jerk will yank your chain. You can draw attention to yourself to ensure a reaction.

You have to power to control the situation. The choice is yours. Don't make a choice which will live with you the rest of your life.

What Bob said.

Proud as I am of the Sox WS title (1st) and the D'Backs WS title (2nd), I am even prouder of the fact that the fans of both my hometown and my adopted city behaved like the champions they were. I never hesitate to point that out to people, and I would hate to see Sox fans act like jerks, no matter the provocation.

Madscout
09-19-2008, 11:04 PM
Bring 'em on. We would have home field advantage and we all know they can't win on the road.

LoveYourSuit
09-19-2008, 11:14 PM

Sounds like you already have the shotgun loaded.

Yikes.

chisoxfanatic
09-19-2008, 11:17 PM
Bring 'em on. We would have home field advantage and we all know they can't win on the road.
That's the only thing that would help my body in producing less ulcers.

kitekrazy
09-19-2008, 11:19 PM

Stats seem to point the Cubs are a better road team than the Sox.

LoveYourSuit
09-19-2008, 11:22 PM
Stats seem to point the Cubs are a better road team than the Sox.

The Cubs have been playing very solid road baseball for the last 2 months.

That team can win anywhere right now.

Us on the other hand, yes, please put us at US Cellular as much as possible.

chisoxfanatic
09-19-2008, 11:25 PM
That team can win anywhere right now.
Not at Tampa, if they actually do make it to the World Series and it's a Rays/Cubs match-up. I still think the Phillies or Dodgers could take them out.

kittle42
09-19-2008, 11:55 PM

Very true. Fighting is for the stupidest of the stupid.

OldRomanPizza
09-20-2008, 01:19 AM
I honestly don't know if I could watch.

areilly
09-20-2008, 01:33 AM
Very true. Fighting is for the stupidest of the stupid.

I get the feeling we should **** **** up - we should ****in' start a riot! A RIOT! We'll have 'em screaming in the streets. We'll have 'em tippin' over ****, breakin' ****in' windows of small businesses...and settin' ****in' fires!

jabrch
09-20-2008, 02:52 PM
It could be an amazing week of rivalries in Chicago.

I want DaMayor and DaCandidate in a tag team match vs DaGov and DaTomTunney.

I'll put my money on our guys.

sox1970
09-22-2008, 12:11 PM
A month from today...Game 1 at the Cell?

DaveFeelsRight
09-22-2008, 12:28 PM
If there is a Crosstown Series.....You ever see RoboCop? Chicago will be like that.

kevingrt
09-22-2008, 01:41 PM
A month from today...Game 1 at the Cell?

Awesome thought. The games would be awesome. The happenings around the city not so awesome.

BTW- If there were a all-city classic, afterwards our chances of getting the Olympics would greatly diminish. The bad side of our city would come out a bit too much.

#1swisher
09-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Awesome thought. The games would be awesome. The happenings around the city not so awesome.

BTW- If there were a all-city classic, afterwards our chances of getting the Olympics would greatly diminish. The bad side of our city would come out a bit too much.

Da Mayor would never let that happen.

areilly
09-22-2008, 06:37 PM
Da Mayor would never let that happen.

Agreed, and I'd be shocked if Weis wasn't authorized to give overtime to the entire CPD during such a Series.

thomas35forever
09-22-2008, 08:09 PM
Article about it on whitesox.com
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080922&content_id=3528879&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Johnny Mostil
09-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Just curious--what probability do you all think there is for a Crosstown Series? (Maybe I should start a poll on this?)

sox1970
09-22-2008, 09:29 PM
just curious--what probability do you all think there is for a crosstown series? (maybe i should start a poll on this?)

5-10%

Johnny Mostil
09-22-2008, 09:45 PM
5-10%

I'd probably put it even lower, or maybe 2 to 3 percent, but yours is a reasonable guess.

I got to thinking about this when an out-of-town friend asked me whether locals had gone crazy over the possibility. I said it wasn't "crazy" but it probably was out-of-proportion to the probability. But maybe I'm underestimating it . . .

FielderJones
09-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Just curious--what probability do you all think there is for a Crosstown Series? (Maybe I should start a poll on this?)

6.25% :tongue:

Johnny Mostil
09-22-2008, 09:50 PM
6.25% :tongue:

Heh. And the statistical error for that estimate?

guillensdisciple
09-22-2008, 10:57 PM
8.89%

If they play each other I am going to have to get some brass knuckles. Since I am from the north shore I will be getting many weird looks and obscene gestures. I won't start anything but if they are dumb enough why not protect myself?

DumpJerry
09-22-2008, 11:32 PM
8.89%

If they play each other I am going to have to get some brass knuckles. Since I am from the north shore I will be getting many weird looks and obscene gestures. I won't start anything but if they are dumb enough why not protect myself?
Just how will you "'protect yourself" weird looks and obscene gestures? Ignoring the **** is the best way to protect yourself from a night in jail.

guillensdisciple
09-22-2008, 11:36 PM
Just how will you "'protect yourself" weird looks and obscene gestures? Ignoring the **** is the best way to protect yourself from a night in jail.

Ahhh how do you hint sarcasm in these threads? Is it with teal?

Sorry about that, next time I will explain the sarcasm. Obviously I will ignore it, otherwise I am no better then they are,

DumpJerry
09-22-2008, 11:41 PM
I just want to make sure nobody gets in more trouble than they should. Confrontations are always avoidable. Cheer smart.

I'm not singling out guillensdisciple, this is directed at everyone who wants to mix it up with the blue goofs.

kittle42
09-23-2008, 11:12 AM
I just want to make sure nobody gets in more trouble than they should. Confrontations are always avoidable. Cheer smart.

I'm not singling out guillensdisciple, this is directed at everyone who wants to mix it up with the blue goofs.

Sadly, Dump, there are *always* idiots looking for fights. I'm sure I'll see some of them over at Kinnick Stadium this Saturday.

ImaGrinder
09-23-2008, 02:04 PM

They are over .500 on the road.

We are not.

Man where did this bravado come from in our fanbase?

They have like a + 100 run differential over us and yet we are the better team?

I'm glad it looks like we'll make the playoffs and I pray we make the WS...but the Cubs are the last team I want to play.