PDA

View Full Version : MLB Instant replay begins

Marqhead
08-26-2008, 02:53 PM
In series that start this coming Thursday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3554357

Thoughts?

downstairs
08-26-2008, 03:00 PM
I don't know what the big deal is. Its only for home run and fair/foul calls. How often are those debatable? In one MLB game per week?

I'm all for a system like the NFL uses. Let the manager get one "red flag" per game. Use it for any call (other than ball/strike maybe). Overturned, you get it back. Held call, you lose it for the game.

beasly213
08-26-2008, 03:16 PM
I do not want instant replay in baseball. On some very close calls we'll have Looooong delays for games and it will get annoying quickly.

Rocky Soprano
08-26-2008, 03:19 PM
I do not want instant replay in baseball. On some very close calls we'll have Looooong delays for games and it will get annoying quickly.

On those close calls usually managers come out and argue causing a delay, so what's the difference?

I'd rather they take a look and get the call right, especially if it could dictate the outcome of a game.

btrain929
08-26-2008, 03:21 PM
On those close calls usually managers come out and argue causing a delay, so what's the difference?

I'd rather they take a look and get the call right, especially if it could dictate the outcome of a game.

Exactly. Not to mention all 4 umpires getting together and having a 5 minute conference about what happened. If I lose 5-10 minutes a week of White Sox baseball on reviewing calls, I'll get over it.

beasly213
08-26-2008, 03:34 PM

We'll get the manager arguing, then the umpires discussing if it SHOULD be looked at. Then it will be looked at. Then a call will be made. Then we'll get one of the managers arguing again.

Trust me it'll happen.

Mr.1Dog
08-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Let me preface this question with the fact that I didn't read the article. Who reviews the home run in question? Does the Crew Chief or home plate ump get it?

FedEx227
08-26-2008, 03:41 PM
We'll get the manager arguing, then the umpires discussing if it SHOULD be looked at. Then it will be looked at. Then a call will be made. Then we'll get one of the managers arguing again.

Trust me it'll happen.

I agree. As we discussed when this first came up earlier in the year. What happens the next time there's a string of close plays at the plate and everyone bitches and moans, do we slowly starting thinking about replay for that?

Bad path to go down. I like that they can get the calls right, I just fear we're going down a path where every little call can be challenged/debated/looked at.

voodoochile
08-26-2008, 03:43 PM
I hate the fair foul decision is part of this, what do you do with the runners? Is it an automatic single? Double?

What if everyone freezes and watches?

Edit: Ah okay, only on HR Fair/foul.

I wonder what they do if they decide a HR is not a HR? GRD?

oeo
08-26-2008, 03:51 PM
I hate the fair foul decision is part of this, what do you do with the runners? Is it an automatic single? Double?

What if everyone freezes and watches?

Edit: Ah okay, only on HR Fair/foul.

Play won't be stopped until afterwards, so why would they just award a guy (that was probably showboating) second base? Give him the base he reaches. If all he gets to is first base, that's his own damn fault. If an outfielder thinks it went out, and doesn't care about getting it back in...again, own damn fault.

Marqhead
08-26-2008, 03:52 PM
I agree. As we discussed when this first came up earlier in the year. What happens the next time there's a string of close plays at the plate and everyone bitches and moans, do we slowly starting thinking about replay for that?

Bad path to go down. I like that they can get the calls right, I just fear we're going down a path where every little call can be challenged/debated/looked at.
In the year 2050, robot Umpires will officiate MLB games. (Semi-teal)

Iwritecode
08-26-2008, 03:53 PM

I've been wondering that myself. Like down in Houston where they have that stupid vertical yellow line where a ball is a homerun on one side of the line and in play on the other side.

We were screwed out of a homerun in the WS because of it. :mad:

FedEx227
08-26-2008, 03:54 PM

I don't think we'll ever get to that point, but there needs to be accountability on behalf of the MLB umpires unlike what you see in the NFL. I'd hate for everyime there's a close play, HR fair/foul, etc. for an ump to be out of position or not really know the answer and use the crutch of an instant replay to fix it.

oeo
08-26-2008, 03:54 PM
I've been wondering that myself. Like down in Houston where they have that stupid vertical yellow line where a ball is a homerun on one side of the line and in play on the other side.

And had to stay up until the wee hours of the morning because of it.

Daver
08-26-2008, 03:56 PM

They could almost do away with umpires now.

Scottiehaswheels
08-26-2008, 03:57 PM
I know this would probably not be used but why not make this a job for the official scorer? He just has to get a call from the ump chief and then tell him via replay if it's a homer or not?

Marqhead
08-26-2008, 03:58 PM

Everyone talks about AJs dropped 3rd strike, and JD getting "hit" in the WS as huge Sox breaks, which they were. No one talks about the Homerun that wasn't.

voodoochile
Play won't be stopped until afterwards, so why would they just award a guy (that was probably showboating) second base? Give him the base he reaches. If all he gets to is first base, that's his own damn fault. If an outfielder thinks it went out, and doesn't care about getting it back in...again, own damn fault.

What if the umps signal HR and everyone goes into a trot then they overturn it?

spawn
Alphonso Soriano neesd to take note of this. :redneck

Optipessimism
08-26-2008, 03:59 PM
I was going to post something similar to that after reading FedEx's post. I think it's either all or nothing when it comes to instant replay. Either have multiple cameras monitoring every play with an umpire in the pressbox making final calls as well as a computerized system that automatically calls balls and strikes (with balls that hit the corners and go inside/outside still called as not to take away the inside or outside pitch) OR do nothing. If you start with home runs then you have the automatic right to bitch about plays on the bases, which gives you the automatic right to bitch about balls and strikes and whatever else happens. All or nothing.

Optipessimism
08-26-2008, 04:08 PM
It's a ghetto-style solution, but coat the top of the wall in ink and call everything that hits the top of the wall a home run, regardless of whether it bounces in or it our rolls along the fence. Inspect the ball and if it has ink on it then it's a home run. Just tell the fans not to touch it and hope it doesn't rain.

On every play where a home run is in question the baserunners all have to run hard, and as soon as the ball appears to come close to hitting the wall or a part of the wall designating a home run, you have an umpire hit a button that emits a loud noise, and then everyone freezes and sits down exactly where they are like in musical chairs. Once it is determined as to whether or not there is ink on the ball, the noise is played again and action immediately resumes.

voodoochile
08-26-2008, 04:18 PM
It's a ghetto-style solution, but coat the top of the wall in ink and call everything that hits the top of the wall a home run, regardless of whether it bounces in or it our rolls along the fence. Inspect the ball and if it has ink on it then it's a home run. Just tell the fans not to touch it and hope it doesn't rain.

On every play where a home run is in question the baserunners all have to run hard, and as soon as the ball appears to come close to hitting the wall or a part of the wall designating a home run, you have an umpire hit a button that emits a loud noise, and then everyone freezes and sits down exactly where they are like in musical chairs. Once it is determined as to whether or not there is ink on the ball, the noise is played again and action immediately resumes.

Simpler than that would be to coat the baseballs and top of the wall with two chemicals that when mixed create color, but it would run over the top of the wall onto the wall itself too easily.

Heck, they could implement the Tennis fault buzzer I would think. If they can record in or out on 130 MPH serves within inches, why can't they do the same for over or under the HR line (whatever that is)?

Marqhead
08-26-2008, 04:20 PM

I second the motion.

Iwritecode
08-26-2008, 04:27 PM

On every play where:rolling: a home run is in question the baserunners all have to run hard, and as soon as the ball appears to come close to hitting the wall or a part of the wall designating a home run, you have an umpire hit a button that emits a loud noise, and then everyone freezes and sits down exactly where they are like in musical chairs. Once it is determined as to whether or not there is ink on the ball, the noise is played again and action immediately resumes.

:rolling:

But seriously. Don't give them any ideas.

:tool
Hmm...

getonbckthr
08-26-2008, 04:36 PM
They should have copied the NHL style of replay. A phone call from upstairs.

EuroSox35
08-26-2008, 10:42 PM
What a shock it took the Yankees getting screwed by a call to start this whole thing

Anyways, I'm happy, so begins the phasing out of douchebag umpires. I don't get people who say they want the human element. :scratch: The human element exists, it's called the players (the ones you pay to see) executing, anyone officiating should be a nonfactor when discussing the game, and that is emphasized in a game where one pitch in one count changes an entire at-bat and subsequently the game

october23sp
08-26-2008, 11:41 PM
The thing I like about instant replay is that the Steroid Era can now RIP 1997-2008. Begin the Replay Era 2008-( ):gulp:

Lefty34
08-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Anyways, I'm happy, so begins the phasing out of douchebag umpires. I don't get people who say they want the human element. :scratch: The human element exists, it's called the players (the ones you pay to see) executing, anyone officiating should be a nonfactor when discussing the game, and that is emphasized in a game where one pitch in one count changes an entire at-bat and subsequently the game

This isn't the end of the human element in officiating, though. This is the end of baseball umpires being asked to make a ruling on something that is, most of the time, way too far away from them and happening too fast to make the correct call. The "human element" should exist in as few yes or no rulings as possible, and this just seems to be the easiest one. However, I believe that replay should be kept out of other on the field, rulings, simply because IR of a tag at the plate or on a double steal would slow the flow of the game, if not change it completely.

Personally, I would like more of a College Football review system, where only certain plays can be "challenged". Like in College Football you can challenge when a runner is ruled not down, but not if he was ruled down. I would like something similar in the MLB, like only plays NOT ruled HR's are reviewable, because we run into that problem of: who gets what base if a ball is ruled in play?

MisterB
08-27-2008, 01:47 PM

Obviously on fair/fouls calls it won't matter, but my thought is that if there's any chance that it may not be a home run (like in Houston where the ball bounces back into the field of play) the umps would assume the ball is still live and let the play continue. Then they "go to the tape" and if it is indeed a home run, then the players can break into their (abbreviated) home run trots. A similar thing would be done on potential fan interference calls.

Eddo144
08-27-2008, 02:20 PM
I would like something similar in the MLB, like only plays NOT ruled HR's are reviewable, because we run into that problem of: who gets what base if a ball is ruled in play?
I would hope that for close calls, where a ball might not have cleared the fence fully, umpires err on the side of it being in play. Therefore, if the original ruling is upheld, we know where the runners ended up. If the ruling is overturned, it's a home run, so every runner ends up in the dugout.

This would be similar to the NFL system, where refs are encouraged to not blow plays dead, so if a fumble or something else occurs, a replay challenge will overturn the initial ruling and result in the player being down.

Lefty34
08-27-2008, 03:27 PM
I would hope that for close calls, where a ball might not have cleared the fence fully, umpires err on the side of it being in play. Therefore, if the original ruling is upheld, we know where the runners ended up. If the ruling is overturned, it's a home run, so every runner ends up in the dugout.

This would be similar to the NFL system, where refs are encouraged to not blow plays dead, so if a fumble or something else occurs, a replay challenge will overturn the initial ruling and result in the player being down.

Yeah that's exactly what I'm talking about. Though I didn't know NFL refs were encouraged to not blow plays dead.

EuroSox35
08-28-2008, 11:10 PM
I think I read the first game it would be used was tonight's Cubs game. Can someone tell me why? :scratch: There were about 5 games that started well before that game today. Please don't tell me it's to add it as another "historical" note for Wrigley. Either way, you know you'll hear that in the future, which is too bad, since it looks as it's just been manipulated to be that way. Was probably ready to go days before but wanted to wait for their home game...

ChiSoxGirl
08-28-2008, 11:14 PM
I think I read the first game it would be used was tonight's Cubs game. Can someone tell me why? :scratch: There were about 5 games that started well before that game today. Please don't tell me it's to add it as another "historical" note for Wrigley. Either way, you know you'll hear that in the future, which is too bad, since it looks as it's just been manipulated to be that way. Was probably ready to go days before but wanted to wait for their home game...

Paula Faris said this on the Channel 5 sportscast at 6p and really, it's not like the Cubs/Phillies game is the only one on the schedule today. :rolleyes: And it's not like instant replay was automatically going to be used tonight... it was merely being implemented beginning in all series that opened today!

pierzynski07
08-28-2008, 11:21 PM
I would like something similar in the MLB, like only plays NOT ruled HR's are reviewable, because we run into that problem of: who gets what base if a ball is ruled in play?

The umpires will decide where everyone should be at, similar to fan interference (which, BTW, is one of the reasons a play can be reviewed). They'll look at where all the baserunners were at at the time, and award accordingly.

Lefty34
08-28-2008, 11:34 PM
The umpires will decide where everyone should be at, similar to fan interference (which, BTW, is one of the reasons a play can be reviewed). They'll look at where all the baserunners were at at the time, and award accordingly.

I'm not sure if I necessarily like that. For instance, if a ball hits off the top of the wall and it is ruled in play, the play can continue to run its course and when all runners have reached base (or not) safely, and the play is over, it can THEN be reviewed and ruled a HR, where the calculation of bases per runner is easy: everyone gets home. But when play is stopped due to a HR call, but then it is determined that the ball was actually in play, how can you arbitrarily assign bases to the runner? MLB and its umpires will run into the 'Ghost Runner' argument that we all went through as kids (btw: Ghost Runner ALWAYS scores from second on a single, always).

pierzynski07
08-29-2008, 01:58 PM
I'm not sure if I necessarily like that. For instance, if a ball hits off the top of the wall and it is ruled in play, the play can continue to run its course and when all runners have reached base (or not) safely, and the play is over, it can THEN be reviewed and ruled a HR, where the calculation of bases per runner is easy: everyone gets home. But when play is stopped due to a HR call, but then it is determined that the ball was actually in play, how can you arbitrarily assign bases to the runner? MLB and its umpires will run into the 'Ghost Runner' argument that we all went through as kids (btw: Ghost Runner ALWAYS scores from second on a single, always).
They arbitrarly assign runners to bases all the time, especially with fan interference.