08-26-2008, 10:48 AM
Taking a look at how we’ve done so far against playoff contending teams:

Twins 8-7 3 left away
Rays 4-6
Red Sox 2-2 3 left away
Angels 3-4 3 at home
Cubs 3-3
Dodgers 2-1
Total 22-23 9 left to play - corrected (still better than expected)

It’s better than I expected – I’m hoping we can go at least 5-4 on the remaining 9 games.

oeo
08-26-2008, 10:52 AM
We went 4-6 against the Rays.

BringBackBlkJack
08-26-2008, 10:53 AM
Uh... We are actually 4-6 against the Rays.. not sure about the other numbers.

RealFan
08-26-2008, 10:54 AM
We've played the Angels more than three games. I think we played them at home and won two of three but I'd need to check. We did split four games with them in LA. Also, we just split with Boston at home two weekends ago so that should be 2 and 2.

LITTLE NELL
08-26-2008, 10:55 AM
We are 4-6 vs Rays and 2-2 vs Red Sox.
I think we are going to need 93 wins to wrap up the Central, that means going 18-13 the rest of the way.

BringBackBlkJack
08-26-2008, 10:55 AM
We've played the Angels more than three games. I think we played them at home and won two of three but I'd need to check. We did split four games with them in LA. Also, we just split with Boston at home two weekends ago so that should be 2 and 2.

We lost the 3 game set 1-2, and yes we did split at Anaheim, which makes it 3-4 total.

voodoochile
08-26-2008, 11:04 AM
This is about what you'd expect from any playoff team versus other playoff teams this year. It's a very balanced league.

Seems like I can remember a ton of games that were very close late or even decided in final at bats in these contests. That's what happens in the playoffs. Hopefully we get on a hot streak as the playoffs approach. None of those teams strike me as unbeatable.

Bob G
08-26-2008, 11:09 AM
Sorry for the missed games - I corrected the numbers in the orginal post. Still not bad when you consider these are the best teams we played all year.

Jurr
08-26-2008, 12:15 PM
This is about what you'd expect from any playoff team versus other playoff teams this year. It's a very balanced league.

Seems like I can remember a ton of games that were very close late or even decided in final at bats in these contests. That's what happens in the playoffs. Hopefully we get on a hot streak as the playoffs approach. None of those teams strike me as unbeatable.
The AL pennant is going to go to the squad that's hottest going in. Everybody has a top 3 in the rotation that can shut you down. This is so awesome to watch, and I'm bracing myself for a psychotic September.

LoveYourSuit
08-26-2008, 12:46 PM
I do recall in 2005 we were kind of bad vs the play off competition, especially down the stretch (remember the Angels 3 game series at US Cellular Field when we got swept in late August or early September).

The playoffs are a whole different season IMO.

Lundind1
08-26-2008, 12:50 PM
I would like to see us go .500 against great teams and .750 against the bottom feeders for the remainder.

The Twins find ways to beat teams that are well above .500 but can't seem to solve the teams that are below.

DumpJerry
08-26-2008, 01:20 PM
2005:
White Sox record in the regular season against the Red Sox:
3-4
White Sox record in the post season against the Red Sox:
3-0

White Sox record in the regular season against the Angels:
4-6
White Sox record in the post season against the Angels:
4-1

soxpride724
08-26-2008, 03:56 PM
2005:
3-4
3-0

4-6
4-1

Nuff said.

MsSoxVixen22
08-26-2008, 04:03 PM
I was just talking to someone earlier, he's a Sox fan, and I asked him how he thinks the Sox will do in the playoffs. He said we won't be able to make it past the Angels. I am more optomistic than he is, to say the least!

Bob G
08-26-2008, 04:04 PM
I do recall in 2005 we were kind of bad vs the play off competition, especially down the stretch (remember the Angels 3 game series at US Cellular Field when we got swept in late August or early September).

The playoffs are a whole different season IMO.

Absolutely agree, if our pitching and defense is solid then I like our chances regardless of the regular season record. However even our record so far against the playoff contenders isn't as bad as some people think.

UofCSoxFan
08-26-2008, 04:13 PM
2005:
3-4
3-0

4-6
4-1

Great post. Playoff baseball is a completely different animal. You set your rotations, you use your entire roster, you may be hot/cold, you may have changed your roster since the last time you played.

What few people realize is that it is rare to have a good record against playoff contendors....that is why they are playoff contendors. If you can beat up on the bad teams and be close to .500 against the few good ones, you'll be in it every year. Hell, if we played .800 ball against the playoff contendors, that would mean we were very subpar against bad teams....and then the argument would be made "If we can't beat Seattle and K.C. then how are we go to win in the playoffs?"

Let's just get to the playoffs where everyone starts 0-0.

ode to veeck
08-26-2008, 04:57 PM
we still gotta get to the playoffs 1st

TDog
08-26-2008, 06:05 PM
I was just talking to someone earlier, he's a Sox fan, and I asked him how he thinks the Sox will do in the playoffs. He said we won't be able to make it past the Angels. I am more optomistic than he is, to say the least!

It is impossible to tell right now how well a team will be playing in the postseason. In 2000, the Sox had an 11-run inning in a regular season game against the Mariners. In that inning they scored more runs than they would score over 28 innings in three games in October after the Sox finished the regular season with the league's best record and were rewarded by hosting the wild card team in the ALDS.

It is also impossible to tell what teams will be in the postseason. Only the Angels are a sure thing. Any of the other top contendenter could fall out. One certainly will.

Dan Mega
08-26-2008, 06:45 PM
Once you make the playoffs, you start over.

kitekrazy
08-26-2008, 07:45 PM
we still gotta get to the playoffs 1st

Bill Melton made it a point the Sox need to do better against playoff caliber teams. This is where I cast my doubts about the Sox winning the division.

The Sox biggest opponent is the White Sox. They are very good at beating themselves. They are very good for squandering opportunities. Yesterday could have been a 1 1/2 game lead. For some reason it seems a lot bigger than 1.

I wouldn't rule out the Sox or Twins being the wildcard. The Sox need to take care of Boston and NY.

Hitmen77
08-26-2008, 11:27 PM
The Sox could have grabbed a few more wins this last month vs. Boston and Tampa and perhaps won those series if they had solid 8th inning pitching. This is why Linebrink is really being missed.

We really need him to come back to stabilize our pen. But it looks like it's getting more and more doubtful that he'll be back as he's made very little progress of late. :(: In that case, then some of those guys in the pen needs to step up and fill that void.

DumpJerry
08-26-2008, 11:45 PM
The Sox could have grabbed a few more wins this last month vs. Boston and Tampa and perhaps won those series if they had solid 8th inning pitching. This is why Linebrink is really being missed.

We really need him to come back to stabilize our pen. But it looks like it's getting more and more doubtful that he'll be back as he's made very little progress of late. :(: In that case, then some of those guys in the pen needs to step up and fill that void.
You could say that about any team in MLB. No team is perfect and every team has lost games it could have easily won. At the end of the season, the die-hard fans of each team could easily pick out 10-15 games they lost which should have been winners.

Well, make that 29 teams. Cub fans are incapable to admitting to any faults whatsoever in their team......:rolleyes:

jabrch
08-27-2008, 12:19 AM
The Sox biggest opponent is the White Sox. They are very good at beating themselves. They are very good for squandering opportunities.

I don't believe we are any more prone to this than any other team. The Twins are on a 3 (hopefully 4) game losing streak. I'm sure they can blame themselves instead of crediting their opposition too.